The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Tanuchan's Date with Peredhil

Peredhil

Tanuchan pushed the leaf she wore as a hat forward aggressively as she waddled up to the door. The portly raccoon-dog shape was ideally suited with small quick prehensile hands to manipulate in the enclosed area under a sink. Especially a sink with a small piece of soap which had attracted too much hair and therefore clogged. As such, it was an annoyance to have to answer the door.

On opening it, however, her eyes glowed darkly in happy surprise. Guido stood grinning widely, holding a small package. Looking down, he exclaimed, “Kincho?” before realizing the proverbial Golden Balls weren’t present. “Tanny? I t’ought youse was a wolf-lady.”

With a Tanuki’s mischievous smile, Tanuchan shimmered in to a black lupine form, and then into her own raven-haired beauty. “I am more than meets the eye, Guido.”

To her surprise, Guido sang the refrain “Ponpoko Pon no Pon” from the children’s Tanuki song Shojoji no Tanuki Bayashi before returning to the matter at hand.

“Da Boss sent dis t’ing fer youse to wear on da date t’ing tanight. He said it goes wi’t anyt’ing.”

Lavishly bowing, Guido presents the package with a wink and a grin. Tanuchan looked at it in dismay, for it was a very *small* package. When she looked up the Bodyguard was gone.

Leaving it to open later, she returned to war with the plumbing, shrinking and growing ears and tail in a style reminiscent of Mario when he obtains the Tanuki Leaf in Super Mario Three.

Peredhil continued to poke gentle fun at Elladan as he approached Tanuchan’s rooms.

“You know, when Guido stated emphatically that he wanted to wait on Nuncio to hear all about his date, I thought you’d do the same for Elrohir.” ‘Dan didn’t bother to reply, scanning the environment casually. “I really don’t need a bodyguard tonight, and Tanuchan will be with me. You’d think I’d never fought at Gil-Galad’s side. I’m peaceful, but protective.”

‘Dan nodded respectfully but didn’t take the hint. With a sigh, Peredhil resigned himself to being guarded.

Adjusting the flower in his lapel, he approached the door.

Tanuchan looked at the twisted wisp of satin and silk in dismay. She simply couldn’t believe someone like Peredhil would expect her to wear this. Perhaps he’d meant she should use it as a set of joined handkerchiefs in case she sneezed? Looking at the delicate fabric, she decided that there wasn’t enough for even that. Grinning impishly, she decided to try it on just once, here in the privacy of her room, before finding real attire. Maybe she’d wear it underneath, as a personal secret of feminine power.

It didn’t take but a moment to put the garment on, for there wasn’t much to it. Once in place though, it tickled with power as it flowed to cover her. As she reflexively changed into her protective wolf-form, she caught a glimpse of a flowing high-bodiced gown. Looking back at herself in the mirror, she saw she wore a light large-linked silver chain around her neck, the eye of each link containing a dark opal.

Changing to Tanuki shape, she wore the sacred Lotus leaf on her head. Eyes narrowing, she changed back to human-form – and wore a flowing dress which adapted smoothly to every movement, revealing beauty but concealing modesty, flattering without being ostentatious.

As she approached the door, the garment flowed into a formal gown and she found herself wearing heels – but perfectly balanced. Opening the door, her date was dressed in a broad-lapelled tuxedo with a pale yellow carnation.

Peredhil beamed as Tanuchan opened the door. “May I pin your corsage?” He held the baby-breath-centered orchid up for her inspection. Elladan, also dressed in a tuxedo, but wearing mirrored sunglasses flashed a blinding smile.

“I’m your chauffeur tonight,” he said quietly, before drifting down the corridor a few feet.

“Sorry about that, but I’m overly protected.” Peredhil frowned, “Are you ready?” He extended an arm for her and they walked down the corridor toward Elladan. As they approached, ‘Dan muttered and made a Gesture. Flexing his fingers, ‘Dan disappeared through the lens, then poked his head back through and nodded.

Tanuchan felt a shiver and a tingle as she stepped through into a grassy clearing. Small shimmering motes danced in the golden shafts of sunlight slanting across the tree-enclosed place. Weeping willows bent low over a clear running stream, which babbled happily over a low waterfall before rushing away to unknown destinations. Tall oak and elm guarded the sides and stood sentinel duty as they quietly conversed with rustled leaves and gently swaying branches. The day was warm without being stuffy, and a small breeze played tag about the clearing, while a chorus of birds expressed joy in life as background music.

Her clothing had changed to comfortable jeans, embroidered and yoked cotton shirt with bloused sleeves, and Birkenstock sandals, all in varied shades of black and grey. Peredhil now wore similar matching clothing, but in blues which matched his Ring.

A picnic was laid out on a white and red checked blanket, with a large whickered basket showing tantalizing hints of desserts to come. Moving to the stream, Peredhil pulled a bottle of wine from the waterfall’s chilling embrace and brought it back to the spread. Elladan was no where in sight.

“I hope this is to your liking. A simple feast, pleasant company, and when dusk kisses the sky, I thought perhaps we could run together as wolves through the woods, tasting the night with all our senses under the magic of the gibbous moon.

Looking for her approval, he read the message in her dark eyes, and smiled in relief.

"Peredhil, this is lovely. I've never had a sweeter date in all my life." Tanny smiled at him, the glint in her eyes revealing her happiness.

Offering a hand, Peredhil seated her and began serving her, his movements a mime parodying the performance of a waiter in a fine restaurant. Her laugh chimed through the clearing, blending like melody to the sounds of the wind and bird song seamlessly, and the rest of the day passed into a memory of magic…

It was early the next morning they returned to the clearing, panting with pads slightly sore from a night of exploration and play, to find Elladan standing by a shimmering portal. As dawn’s first light blushed in embarrassment at having to begin a new day, and end the last, they passed back to the Pen’s Keep, standing outside her door.

Looking up at Peredhil, he wore silver and black; power was in his hand and wisdom in his eyes. Her cheek was still flushed with the exhilaration of play, and the soft lanterns woke mysterious runes of light as they shimmered across her hair. Looking down at her upturned face, Peredhil smiled gently and captured her hands in his own, warm and dry.

“Thank you for bidding on me, although I feel as if I should pay you for the delight of your company.” Bending his head slightly, he kissed her brow like a butterfly lighting, then released her to the day, and strode back away to his waiting responsibilities. As he passed a doorway further down the corridor, Elladan materialized like an unnoticed shadow to silently follow.