The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Crossroads

Me!, muahahahaha.

As many of you know, I've been a DJ for about 4 months now, but the station hasn't been streaming online. This week, that has finally changed. The name of my co-DJ and I's show is 'Crossroads'. It's labelled this as the crossroads are a pretty reoccurring theme within the blues, which is sort of the genre we play. Our show time is 11am-1pm GMT sunday (10pm-midnight local time here).

I realise this is a bad time for many americans to tune in, but I know we have quite a few europeans who I'll encourage to listen in ;P

Because I have a co-DJ (who also happens to be the station owner) I can't really promote The Pen on air as much as Wyvern did, but I will give shout outs. Do note however, that I'm heavily involved in about two other online communities, so I shout out to someone that you don't recognise, don't be shocked ;P.

Once again, 11am-1pm GMT. (thats england time)

The streaming can be found on the main page at http://www.kfmradio.co.nz

-Preemptive cheers for listening in :)

lessee.. and we're GMT-8 here which is.. what.. 3-5am pacific time?

i might still be up then, but whether i'd be at my computer gods only know.. hrmm.

will give it a shot but i can't make any promises.

thanks for the heads up though, and best of luck!

Lumpen,

I stayed up this evening in the hopes of catching your show, but the computer I'm currently using unfortunately cannot access secure connections, which caused the audio stream not to work for me (things like accessing Hotmail and Paypal don't work on it either). I struggled trying to get the stream to play on the computer, but after many unsuccessful attempts I gave up... I promise that I'll tune into your show as soon as I either get this computer accessing secure connections again, or get back to my old computer at the beginning of next semester.

Congratulations on being broadcast online, I definitely look forward to hearing you D.J! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Lumpen,

I caught all of your show the other night, from 3 AM to 5 AM my time, and just wanted to say that I definitely enjoyed it. :) I really liked how you started off with Koko Taylor's "Evil" and ended with Koko Taylor's "Wang Dang Doodle," as it was a very nice way to bring things full circle and both of the tracks were great. I think "Evil" was a great opener for the show, since the blaring harmonica really seemed to capture the raw emotions of the blues for me. Your love for Stevie Ray Vaughn and Taj Mahal shined through both your track selection and your occasional announcements, and one highlight of the show for me was the transition from Stevie Ray's "Rude Mood" to Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile," as I wasn't expecting a Hendrix song in the mix and it worked very well. Overall, I would highly recommend "Crossroads" to any fans of blues and accoustic guitars. ;-)

In terms of potential improvements for the show, I echo Ayshela's thoughts for the most part. While your announcements between tracks were very intelligent and knowledgable, it was very hard to hear you and I ended up adjusting the volumes depending on whether you were making an announcement or a track was coming on. I'd recommend turning up the mic levels a bit next time so that the volume of your voice is cordinated better with that of the tracks. Also, I wouldn't mind hearing more frequent announcements from you between tracks, but then I'm biased since that's my primary reason for tuning in. ;-)

Thank you very much for the shout out, by the way. ;) It was very interesting to hear my Pen name announced on australian radio at 4 AM, to say the least. ;-)

Keep up the good work, :)

Wyv-

P.S: My father is a huge blues nut, so maybe I should tell him about the show...? ;)

• 2 months later...

I tuned into your show this evening/morning, lumpen, and just wanted to say that I really enjoyed it! :) The music you played throughout the show was excellent as always, and I really like the manner that the show was organized into different sections and artists, with a future blues section and many blues guitar classics dispersed throughout it. I also immediately noticed that your voice sounds much clearer now when you announce things, and I really like the guitar track you used in the background for interludes and talking over. You seem to also make more announcements now, which is good, and you provided some excellent background info over the course of the show on things such as the story of Bonnie Raitts origins as a blues guitarist and the history of the stratocaster. Lumpenproletariat droppin that music knowledge for the blues-hungry masses! ;-) A couple of moments that stood out to me were "Stone Bridge" by Jimi Hendrix, "Call it the Blues" by Harry Manx, "Wrap it up" by Jimmie Vaughn, the transition into Rory Gallaghers upbeat "Laundromat" and the transition into the first Magic Slim and the Tear Drops track (which was perfect). My only complaint would be that the audio stream was a bit choppy and cut off at certain intervals during the show, but that's not something you have any real control over and may have also had to do with my connection.

Great stuff, I'll be sure to tune in every week if possible. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lumpen,

I just wanted to say that I tuned into "Crossroads" again this morning, and enjoyed it while it was on. The Taj Mahal special that Jono started it off with was good, and you did well with your announcements and choices of music. I liked your comments and interjections slightly more than those of Jono, as while he was good he didn't seem to be quite as comfortable on the mic. On a random side note: I didn't realize that you guys pronounce "death" as "deeth" over there... ;-)

Unfortunatly, about an hour into the show, the blues and rock music was suddenly replaced by a techno mix and the announcements stopped. I waited for about twenty minutes to see if your show would come back on, but when it didn't I decided to stop listening. Out of curiousity: was it the stream that wasn't broadcasting correctly, or did you guys end the show an hour early?

• 2 weeks later...