The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Galaxynet down? WAH!

Zadown

Yeah! I'm already going through yellow pages for a good psychiatrist so I can deal with the trauma. ;)

I guess at this point it'd be wise to have other instant messangers and stuff, but since they are all inferior to the god of communications, IRC, I don't.

Wanders off the computer chair and goes to sit in a corner, going 'Waily waily waily!'.

PS. Tried 4 different servers, none responding and www.galaxynet.org is down also. All other IRC servers and www pages work fine. 'Tis the end of the world!

Edited by Zadown

Wyvern frowns and nods.

I couldn't log onto Galaxynet this evening and thought it might have something to do with the computer I'm using, but now see that it must be universal... does anyone know if this Galaxynet downtime is a temporary thing, or should we seriously start looking into new IRC servers to host #thepen channel?

Note: while waiting for IRC to come back up, I recommend posting creative writing on the boards, and participating in collective roleplaying threads such as "The Quincuinox." ;-) *End roleplaying add plug-in*

Wyv-

Jittering due to chat-deprivation.

Z-Everyone else is still logged in, maybe change ports? I had a problem with Trillian a few days too, couldn't log in with port 6667. Try 6669 \x_x/

Too much time to learn? I'm afraid I dont see your point, but if you must: IRC is convinent, easy to set up, does not require registration and hosts chat rooms more easily (Q, etc).

Aside from buddy lists, maybe, or unless you're into high tech video/voicechat, I dont see any reason why not. :P

(edit)PS: I dont need to tell you all this, you were on irc a while back too ya?

Edited by Valdar and Astralis

Uhm, that's boggling Val since I can't connect to any server via any port and www.galaxynet.org is down (at least for me), and if I try to use SearchIRC's java applet to connect to Galaxynet that doesn't work either ... but all other IRC servers work fine, I have Quakenet and irc.lut.fi connections both working perfectly. Didn't get any K-line or G-line or whatever-line warning, just

[12:34:45] * [10053] Software caused connection abort

[12:34:45] * Disconnected

and then

[12:35:30] * Connect retry #1 online.be.galaxynet.org (6661)

[12:35:30] Local host: dsl-lprgw4l63.dial.inet.fi (80.222.219.99)

[12:35:31] * Unable to resolve server

every time for the last 3 hours, on various servers using different ports.

:blink:

Actually, Z, I had the same problem... of course, then a freak storm swept through and knocked out the power for the rest of the night, but hey... there you go.

:wizzie:

http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/details.ph...yNet&point=days

Though the log is disappearing, all of Galaxynet's servers were down for about 18 hours. Like Zadown and others, I thought it was something to do with me until I found that link. :)

And Valdar, it was pretty strange, but all of their servers were down. *shrugs* I doubt without a lot of serious investigation that I don't really want to perform that I'll ever find out what caused this. :)

My main gripe about the other chat systems was that they were too flashy and ate up a bunch of resources. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion however.

I highly reccomend getting Trillian, from ceruleanstudios.com. It intergrates IRC, AIM and ICQ into one package. No more reason to favor one over the other, and dosn't eat up too much system power.

AIM and ICQ (and similiar thingies) are quite different than IRC - they are more suited for one to one conversations, even if ye can create chat rooms with both. IRC is all about talking in channels and idling, linking stupid or curious URLs, getting annoyed at people and whatnot - ye can easily use it for one to one conversations via PMs but that's not the main focus. Instant messangers are more like phoning somebody directly whereas IRC is like walking to a pub where yer friends tend to hang out, being part of a community. I personally prefer the way I can just comment anything silly in IRC and leave it to the people if they feel like answering, instead of forcing the boring details of my day to some single individual. YMMV.

And yeah, I vastly prefer the gritty DOS-like command prompt feel of my IRC client to the flashy resource-hog instant messangers that beep and remind me of birthdays and whatever. -_-

/me seconds Z on his IRC-rant and Valdar on his Blatant Trillian Promotion Speech (BTPS from now on)

To add to the BTPS... check out the cool skins aswell while you're there ;)

^_^

[mode Promotion speech = OFF]

-Appy