The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

DeanTheAdequate Submits!

Lord Mitsurugi paced in his inner quarters while his herald spoke.

"...and with the changing of the country's fortunes, you must relinquish your sword to the government..."

The messages came every day. Lord Mitsurugi knew they would finally have enough of his stalling. Most of his loyal servants have left his summer home. They wanted to experience the new era for themselves. He was lucky he wasn't cooking his own meals. He had to stifle a laugh.

"...as honored, the Government."

"You may go, Hideo."

"Yes Lord Mitsurugi."

Mitsurugi looked out across his inner garden. It was filled with the most exotic greenery he could find. But sadly, the downpour that had started overnight dampened it's beauty.

He could do this no longer. Living in this state. Soon there would be an army outside his once-impregnable gates. They would have guns, cannons, and whatever else came from the west this week.

They came for Lord Ihon, Mitsurugi's greatist friend. They decimated his army with thier new weapons. Ihon had been slayed by a commoner. A commoner. For all the indignities to suffer, being shot by a poorly trained peasant was not an honorable way to die at all.

And yet... there would be no war to die gloriously either.

If only Tanaka Katsurai had still lived. That was the only man who had equalled Mitsurugi in sword skill. If he could of died in an epic duel, that would bring glory upon glories.

But there were no more swordsmen. No more trained at his level except for...

That was it!

"Hideo!" he bellowed.

"Here lord!"

"Take a message to this new 'government'. I wish to have a duel for my lands you seek. Send me your finest swordsman..."

It wasn't long before Lord Mitsurugi saw the government crest his hill. The rainfall had not stopped over the last four days. It was as if his lands could sense his foul mood.

But in a small way he was pleased. He had sent away the rest of his house. His stores of silver and gold had all gone to those who remained loyal. He was ready to meet the government's champion.

The retinue came to rest in the courtyard. Soon several souldiers filed out of the wagon. It seemd that Mitsurugi's request had been honored. Each soldier had only a sword at thier side. But soon the last member of the wagon came out.

A policeman. He must have some special privilage because he still had a proper katana. Rain beat down on the policeman's hat, covering his face even more.

Lord Mitsurugi quickly ushered them all inside his common area. A toasty fire was in the far corner. Soldiers quickly tried to shed thier damp. But the policeman stayed in the common's middle, facing the aged samurai.

"The government really wishes you could choose... another path." the policeman said.

"I asked a simple request. A final duel. If you win, the land is the government's. If I win, I am to have my full status as a lord held sacred by the government."

The policeman scanned the room.

"You don't plan on living." he said.

"No," began Mitsurugi as he assumed a stance "I intend to shout louder than the thunders, I will never submit."

And with that there were two glints of steel. Mitsurugi smoothly sliced in many directions. The policeman was no government pushover. Every thrust parried. Every slash blocked.

"Why do you toy with me, policeman?" spat Mitsurugi during a lock "I want only what you want."

"Not what I want." said the policeman "What the government wants."

With that the policeman unfooted Mitusugi with a mighty push. Mitsurugi stumbled back and felt a pull at his chest.

He knew it was over. Blood stremed form the gash He saw his katana skitter across the floor. The policeman rushed over.

"My sword..." gasped Mitsurugi.

"At once" said the policeman. He brandished the katana that had skittered out of reach and brought it to Mitsurugi. Mitsurugi scowled, then limply dragged the blade across the policeman's cheek.

"That is to remember... your past..." and with that, Lord Mitsurugi closed his eyes, never to open them again.

The soldiers were agahst.

"Commander!" said one "We must go with the sword at once!"

The policeman looked at the old Samurai.

"Tokei," he began "was this the right thing. Is it really what he wanted?"

"Commander Mitsurugi, we have no right to question why. Just to produce the results."

Yama Mitsurugi scowled.

"And yet, sometimes it's just not as fulfilling..."

The sky rumbled. It mourned it's valley's keeper well into the next week. And then, like all things, life soon continued.

(I haven't done any free form writing in quite a while! But, wow. It's good to be back. -Chris Kinsey)

*hop-skipping along the corridor Appy decides she might aswell take a peek into the recruitment office and immediatly bounces into this story*

Very interesting this, specially because of my high interest in anything Asian I guess ^_^

Nice pace and good lay-out too, two of the things important for me to keep my concentration high enough to read it ;)

*flops down on the ground and starts an animated conversation about why Mr. Lizard is always late and at some point she almost throws over one of the big piles of paper on the desk*

OOC: Hope you get accepted and see more of this :D

This is quite good, it sounds like the opening to a novel in which the government's swordsman is the main character. I'm sure his motives and past as well as future would be interesting.

Hope you get accepted and we get to see more of you. ^_^

*sit down with you to join the animated conversation about why Mr. Lizard is always late* :P

DeanTheAdequate sighs to himself and shifts in his applicant easychair, dismally staring at the cluttered desktop of the absent Elder of Initiates while Appy and Yuki Kokoro continue chatting about the numerous far-fetched schemes that have detained the reptilian Elder in the past. The tired applicant finishes counting the number of bulging stacks of unfinished paperwork that loom menacingly on the desk and grumbles a string of curses to himself. He was slowly rotting away in the office, but unlike Lord Mitsurugi, he wasn't getting messages every day informing him that his death was imminent...

Just as Appy and Yuki Kokoro begin discussing the rude manner in which Wyvern opens doors when he finally arrives at the Office, the Office door slams open and the overgrown lizard himself rushes in as fast as his scaly legs can carry him. Waving towards Appy and Yuki and promptly bowing towards DeanTheAdequate, the lizard shakes the applicant's hand and hisses:

"Apologies for my lateness, was a bit tied up with various affairs after an inappropriate comment I made about the numerous manners in which Almost Dragonic Inc. might be able to abuse a certain Pal, who's name will not be mentioned here. Let's just say he likes to Pay, and has a fondness for Visa..."

Wyvern is interrupted as Appy and Yuki simultaneously cough and cast him an angry glances. Nervously gulping and nodding, the greedy lizard immediatly rushes towards his desk, snatches DeanTheAdequates application from its craggy summit there, and begins reading over the story as fast as he can. After finishing with the application piece, the overgrown lizard grins and hisses:

"This application piece is well above adequate, Mr. Adequate... very well narrated. I'm certainly glad that police officers have become much less skilled in the arts of combat since the ages of this story, not to mention that honor has become far less important a concept..."

Wyvern scratches his scaly chin thoughtfully, then continues:

"You had really ought to check out Madoka's Samurai Sheep Training Dojo here at the Pen some time. The code of the bashido pales when compared to that of the baaaashido, after all... plus, the spring grass ramen they serve inbetween training sessions is surprisingly tasty."

DeanTheAdequate stares in a perplexed manner as Wyvern drools for a few minutes, and is relieved when the overgrown lizard stamps his application ACCEPTED shortly afterwards.

OOC: A very good story and an ACCEPTED application, DeanTheAdequate, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I look forward to reading more of your writing, and hope to participate with you in future community projects.