The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Heartbreak

From the moment she enters the house she knew that something was wrong. She walks down the stairs as always, following his lead to the basement. They walk through the TV room and into his room where he asks her to sit. She sits down on the bed next to him. They had been seeing each other for some time and yet, things were not as they used to be. She knew that this was coming, but she was clueless as to when. As the words rambled out of his mouth you could actually see her heart breaking. The words 'I'm not ready for a relationship right now' ran through her body like poison. Her body starts to shake as her eyes well with tears. She starts to sob as he tries to comfort her.

"I still want to be around you. I still love you. I just can't be in a relationship right now. I need to…grow up a little first." He sits in front of her, his hands upon her lap pleading with her to look at him. She refuses. She hides her face in the long tangled mess of her hair. She couldn't figure out how something that she knew was inevitable to happen could hurt so much.

"I never wanted to hurt you. I hope that you know that. I still want to be in your life. Please promise me that you won't shut me out. I need to be in your life. Don't push me away." With that he started in his own chain of sobs, his head now resting in her lap. She hadn't moved at all. She just sat staring at her lap shaking, crying. "Please don't do this. I still love you. I'm not leaving you for good. I'm not leaving you alone. Please, look at me."

She shakes her head no and continues to hide her face. Her sobs begin to get louder. He rises to embrace her. "Please talk to me."

She speaks for the first time in over a half hour. "What's to talk about? If this is what you want."

"I'm still here for you. I never wanted to hurt you."

"I know." She thinks to herself, 'I should leave. I can't stay here.'

"Please don't shut me out, I need to be in your life. I need to be there for you."

She rises to her feet pushing him away. "I have to leave. I can't be here." She exits the room and picks up her things but he stops her. She didn't really want to leave. She wanted to make things back to how there were when they were happy. Knowing that she couldn't do this was tearing her apart.

"Please, I don't want you to leave. Talk to me."

"What's to talk about? You've made up your mind."

"I still want to be there for you. I need to be there for you. My feelings for you haven't changed."

She starts to get very upset in her confusion of his contradictory statements. "Then why is this happening!?"

"I'm just not ready for a relationship right now. Please understand."

"I understand. I went through the exact same thing when I was your age."

"Don't push me away. I'm begging you. Let me still be in your life."

They had moved now to the stair well. He stood in her way so as to keep her there. She stood facing a wall to avoid having to look at him.

"I can't do this anymore. I want it be over." She whispered as she spoke.

"What was that?" He hadn't heard her, which was probably for the better. "What did you say?"

She speaks up a little louder. “I don’t want this to go on. I want the pain to stop.”

He realized the underlining in her words and panicked. "Don't you say that. You need to go on. For me. I need you in my life. I need to be in yours. I will always bee here for you if ever you need me."

"That's what people say, but they never mean it."

"I do mean it. I will always be there for you. If you let me. Will you let me?"

She shakes her head as she didn't know what to say or think. She wanted nothing more then to have him in her life but she didn't know if she could handle seeing him as 'just friends'.

"Please look at me. If you care about me, you'll look at me." She turns her head just enough to look in his eyes. They were red and puffy from his tears as she was sure her were as well. But they still shone with the same glow as they always had when she looked in them. This was when she realized his words to be sincere. Her gaze began to fall from him. "Don't look away from me." He repeated this over and over until she looked him once again in the eye. "I need to be in your life. Please don't push me away."

They talked for a little while longer before she left for home. But she was not ready to return there. She needed to be in the comfort of friends. She needed a shoulder to lean on just for a little while. She searched throughout the night for someone to be home but found no one. It appeared to her that she was ment to suffer alone as she always had before. She returned home and curled up in a tight little ball upon her bed. Her tears were her only comfort that night, the only thing that helped her drift to sleep. Maybe the pain would go away. Maybe she would awake and it was all a dream. One can only hope.

Edited by Nimue

Wow, great first post!

Hugs Welcome to the Pen, I'm sure that Wyvern will get back from his Winter Cross-Examinations (I think he was trying to sell Santa Visits - anyone who got one would have to send him a nickle. Our Almost Dragonic Elder is always... enterprising,) at soon as he's releas-

able.

In the mean time, have some of Melba's famous Winter Solstace cookies! Guaranteed to bring the increase of light back into your life or she'll know the reason why!

(Hauntingly well told story of his selfishness and her need.)

-Peredhil, an Almost present Ancient

*Hugs*

Very well done... only complaint I can drudge up is the inconsistent tense... (She looks at the wall, she went home, one can only hope, etc)

If this is a true story (which I gather it is) you have my condolences... I know how you feel entirely too well. I just wish my boyfriends had been half so eloquent as this one... ;) The best mine could ever give me went along the lines of "I can't do this" "I'm sorry" or "But I think we can still be really good friends"

I guess that no matter how nicely you wrap it, though... a spade is still a spade. And no matter how nicely you rip someones heart out, it hurts just as much when you do your little tapdance on it. :D

(And of course if it wasn't a life story... you can disregard all of that)

*Hugs*

*slouches slightly as though in shame*

I've been working on how to stay in one tence. I seem to have a problem with it though. I appreciate you pointing it out to me as so many have before about other stories that I have writen.

(and it was a life story. A recent life story so thank you. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one that's been through this. Even though I know that many people have. Makes me feel less alone.)

*hugs*

Nimue taps her right foot on the floor of the Office patiently and does a little spin in her applicant easychair out of boredom, wondering what could possibly be taking the Elder of Initiates such a long time to arrive. She had noticed that the paper mess in the hallway had been cleared out and that both X-Sabre and dragonqueen had gotten their applications stamped accepted, but now had no idea where reptilian Elder could be. Fidgeting nervously in her seat and restlessly clicking a pen with her gentle elven fingers, the applicant begins to worry that the lizard's lack of presence might might have something to do with the nature of her application...

Suddenly, as if to provide a cure for her anxiety, the front door of the Recruiter's Office slams open and Wyvern barges in, grinning and waving to Nimue as he does so. The elven applicant raises a brow curiously as she notices the overgrown lizard's attire, uncertain of what to make of it. Aside from the numerous papercuts and ink blots that stain the lizard's face from his previous paperwork burial, the Elder is dressed in what appears to be an ugly combination of red and green fluff, along with the bottom half of a mop which has been attached to his face like a mock beard. On his head rests a poorly fabricated fez on which one of Canid's purple fuzzies has been attached like a tiny pompom ball, and slung over one of his scaly shoulders is a nearly empty sack labeled "evils." Dropping the bag off at his desk and turning towards Nimue, the overgrown lizard flashes a grin of razor sharp teeth and hisses:

"Hiss hiss hiss, merry XXXmas and all that good stuff."

Nimue stares at the Elder blankly.

"Ummm... Hi Mr. Wyvern. I take it you're supposed to be the ghost of Christmas past, yes?"

Wyvern snickers and shakes his head, then responds:

"Not quite... I'm Santa Claws a.k.a Saint NickleU.S! If you need a Santa visit, just call on me and I'll do it for a nickle. No Santa clauses apply, however."

Nimue raises a brow and slowly nods to this as Wyvern picks up her application story and carefully reads it over several times. After he's finished doing so, the lizard grins and hisses:

"A good application story, Nimue, and certainly acceptable material. Before I do so, however, I'm curious about something. Have you ever heard of the sport known as..."

The room suddenly darkens and Wyvern's face is illuminated in an evil glow as he articulates the word:

"... NIMBALL?"

Nimue gulps and swiftly shakes her head, hitting a lightswitch on the wall in order to light the room back up. The truth of the matter was that she had heard about the apocalyptic sport once or twice, but from her knowledge it was best not to speak about it unless you wanted to bring about a disaster.

"With a name and pretty elven appearence like yours..." continues Wyvern, rubbing his scaly claws together greedily "you could make quite a mascot."

At that moment, a herd of purple fuzzies barges into the office and tramples over Wyvern before he can continue, removing the fuzzy from his fez before stampeding back out of the door. Grumbling in pain in his mangled position on the ground, the lizard sighs and stamps Nimue's application ACCEPTED.

;-)

OOC: A good story and an ACCEPTED application, Nimue. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I liked this story along with a lot of the stuff you've written at World of the Two Skies, and am happy you decided to apply here. If you'd like some help with tenses, I'd be more than happy to do what I can to help you improve it. Once again, welcome! :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry that it's taken me so long to reply. Been having a bit of writers block and well...personal life issues that needed attending to. To make a long story short, I'm back now for a while and am very excited that Wyvern liked my application. :D

Anyways, life calls. Oh...and Wyvern I would like to take you up on that offer of help on tenses if you're not busy that is. Thanx. :P

~Nimue