The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Life Journey

Lelu came to a skidding halt at the main door of the recruiters office, the cool night wind whipping her nearly pitch black cloak around her. Can't be late, got to hurry. She pushed the door open and peered inside, the sudden change of light nearly blinding her. She hastily stepped inside, blinking a few times so her eyes could adjust to the lights. Emerald green eyes glanced from one thing to another, taking in her surroundings relatively quick. She stepped up to receptionists desk and smiled. The woman seemed to be busy looking over something else and hadn't heard her enter. Lelu cleared her throat, but still the woman paid her no attention. Reaching inside her seemingly normal cloak, she pulled out a smooth sheet of paper. "Ma'am?" As hard as she tried, this woman was not hearing her. Mumbling a few choice words to herself, Lelu set the paper on the desk and turned to leave.

"Are you here to turn in your application?" The woman finally asked in a semi-cheerful voice.

Lelu closed her eyes and gritted her teeth, but when she turned back to the woman she was all smiles. "Yes, as a matter of fact I am."

The woman grabbed her paper and set it with the many others that were to be prossesed. "We'll get back to you as soon as possible." Lelu opened her mouth to say more, but the woman went back to doing whatever it was she was doing.

"I'll just be waiting outside." She said to no one since she knew the receptionist wasn't paying her any attention. She turned for the door, but the sound of thunder made her stop dead in her tracks. Hanging her head, she mumbled to herself. Looks like I'll be waiting inside instead. Glancing around, she found a lone chair and made her way to it. She sat down and much to her surprise, a long meow echoed from within her cloak. The receptionist cast a look of confusion in her direction and Lelu turned three shades of red. She reached inside her endless cloak and pulled out a small white kitten. It meowed once more and then snuggled into her arms. The receptionist, now seeing the kitten, looked at her even more oddly. Lelu forced a smile and looked down at the purring kitten in her arms.

Pulling her attention away from the newcomer with the endless cloak, the receptionist grabbed the neatly pressed piece of paper. She put on her reading glasses and was astonished to find the piece of paper she held to be blank. She looked to Lelu with suspicion and glanced back at the paper she held. She did a double take, seeing that there was writing on the paper. This woman was strange indeed. The paper read:

Life Journey

To live a life of love

Would be a sheer fantasy

To live a life such as mine

Would be absolute confusion

Bouncing from place to place

Never sure of where my home is

I plead with myself

Hoping to find somewhere to stay for good

Through the stress and confusion

I see two dark forms

Never moving, just standing

As if awaiting my arrival

A feeling of comfort engulfs me

My heart dancing to a lighter tune

As I approach the forms

Their appearance still void

As my steps bring me ever closer

I see two happy people

A tall, dark and handsome male

And a beautiful, blue eyed female

Hands suddenly extended

Drawing me to them

Engulfing me in their lives

Making me one of them

Now, my life is one of happiness

My home, with them

Is full of love and acceptance

Dreams do come true.

Melba read the application with a start. When the young lady had first come in, she'd thought she was entering in answer to Wyvern's latest advertisment.

Hmmph. She wouldn't even think about the scheme he'd come up with this time, but several rolls of fat quivered with righteous indignation.

Anyway, she'd carefully looked for any of what she considered the Real Elders, remote, polite, mysterious, so subtle you'd hardly know they were there like powerful people should be, and then deliberately acted uncharacteristically rude to the poor slip of a girl.

Oy! The darling was so skinny! She needed to eat something! Melba patted her comfortably padded body with contentment. No sag on top! Too well bolstered by the support of her solid tummy. A real man and mage, like Brute would know what to do with a real woman!

Anyway, the little chick wasn't lost after all, just a hesitant applicant.

"Sweetie, would you like some nice bagel and lox? And some tuna fish for your cat?"

Not waiting on an answer she swept into fixing a little something to tide the girl over.

"no telling how long it will take Elder Wyvern," she spat acidly, "to return to his duties! And to think he's a Bard now while that wonderful Brute is bypassed. Oy!" Her muttering trailed off as a scrumptious meal appeared in nearly magical time.

There was one thing Melba was known for at the Pen, (besides trying to get Wyvern fired), and that was cooking. And when a forlorn skinny goya girl needed reassurance and feeding, Melba was inspired.

Those with discriminating noses began drifting toward the Recruiter's Office...

Edited by Melba

Lelu smiled at the receptionist as she was offered food. "Thanks you." She devoured the food as the small kitten enjoyed her bit of tuna. Her head popped up at the sound of Brute's name. "You know Brute?" She patiently awaited an answer as she finished off her meal. She smiled and patted her stomach when she was done and the kitten let out a contented meow. The receptionist ended up being nicer then she thought. Well, first impressions aren't everything. She thought she try to strike up a small conversation.

"It's no problem ma'am. I'm in no rush."

Do I know Brute?! At this empassioned cry, all the gourmet-loving footsteps, sensing a gooey rant, hastly beat a retreat on rapid feet.

"Brute... how to describe his hairless magnificence... His dark eyes and hands, his pallid brow... the aura of power which surrounds him -

"Say, did you know he does skellie tricks, like that little Minta, such a little darling..."

Melba sits gazing off at at some engrossing internal vision of perfection, while the other two quickly avail themselves of some of the Pen's best food.

IT'S JEALOUSY! Melba exclaims loudly. The Door to the room shifts and sighs, he's heard *this* too many times before, "Wyvern is jealous and greedy, everyone knows that. Brutesy Wootsey had the Decanter of Endless Booze first. I suspect..." And she gives them both a knowing look, "that he didn't win it in a contest after all. And is blackmailing him!"

Exchanging glances, both look back to the impassioned Almost Secretary, swallow at having stirred deep waters, and nod. placated, Melba nods back with a wink and goes back to sorting her papers.

It's with a sigh of relief they go back to waiting...

Wyvern dashes into the Office at full speed upon hearing the echo of the word "blackmail" as it rings throughout the halls, hopeful that one of his many victims on hold had finally given in and decided to pay him to get off of their backs. Perhaps Falcon2K1 had finally decided to rid himself of the evidence of his putting a piece of used gum on the back of a chair in the Banquet Hall, or maybe Celes Crusador's cat Cambrone had decided that he didn't want to risk his master finding out that he had once spilled the kitty litter. Wyv was certain he could market any catfood given as payment at 200%...

Entering into the room and noticing only Lelu Asana and Melba waiting for him, the overgrown lizard stops in his tracks and lets out a nervous stutter. Quickly bowing to the two of them and muttering a brief "hello," Wyvern rapidly turns to rush away from the false alarm in the hopes of getting back to his usual scheming. His plan of escaping duty is abruptly countered, however, as the Door of the Office mysteriously slams shut just as Wyvern attempts to rush out of the room.

Running straight into the Door, Wyvern whines in pain and lets out a string of curses. After the reptilian Elder has managed to dislodge his horns from the Door's fine wood carvings, he turns towards Melba and angrily hissing:

"Melba... I thought I told you to get the dang door dispelled!"

Melba lets out a "hmph!" and crosses her arms over her chest, raising her nose at the overgrown lizard as she mutters:

"I happen to like him that way. He's always courteous, unlike some people I know, and never even minds when I rant to him about the awful parts of my job."

The Door lets out a loud creak in response to this, desperatly wishing it could communicate with human dialect to air it's negative opinion of the Almost Secretary's comment.

Wyvern sighs and shakes his head, abandoning all thoughts of Melba as he turns towards Lelu Asana and grins. Greeting her more formally, the lizard shakes her hand vigourously and picks up her application poem, reading over it carefully and hissing:

"Aw yesss, how I wish that I could find a solace from stress and confusion. Unfortunatly, whenever *I* see two dark figures, it always ends up being a collaboration between the tax agencies and the FBI..."

Lelu Asana raises a brow at this statement while the Office Door rapidly begins turning it's knob in laughter. Wyvern shakes a fist at the intelligent wood carving and threatens to cast "Summon Termites" as he stamps Lelu's application ACCEPTED.

;-)

OOC: An excellent application, Lelu Asana, and certainly an ACCEPTED one. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I enjoy reading your stuff, and hope to be able to roleplay with you more in the future. Once again, welcome!

Lelu let out a burst of laughter at the hulking man she knew as Brute, being called "brutesy wootesy". She stopped and bowed suddenly as Wyvern came racing into the room. "Greetings." The little kitten at her side let out a meager meow in greeting. She watched curiously as he tried to hastily exit the room, wondering if she'd said something wrong.

A brow was raised in curiousity at his comment about the tax agencies and the FBI. As respectful as he was, he was odd, in her perspective. She smiled as he stamped her application: ACCEPTED and told her: "welcome to the pen."

"Thank you very much." She picked up her little white kitten and headed for the door. She stopped infront of the door and turned to Wyvern. "If you don't mind me saying so sir. You might want to be a little more kind to," she motioned to Melba with her free hand, "your 'almost' secretary. She's apt to get you fired." With a slight chuckle, she turned back to the door, puting her hand to the fine wood. "Trust me, I know what it's like to be in your position." As swiftly as she had entered, she was gone. Heading to the Caberet Room to have a small drink.