The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A moment in chaos

· Steel swords and armor echo and groan amidst the swarm of human flesh filling the valley as if a storm amidst a sea. The sound of bowstrings snapping cut through occassionally, followed by successive thuds and screams of those hit by arrows - strewn by enemy and ally alike.

· Our banners once distinct and glorious, now lay strewn on the grassy meadows with the crimson hue of the battle field removing all glory from their once proud fibers. We all knew that this would be our final day, our final moment, our final chance at the glory these flags once held. We all knew what we had to do.

· A sharp warm pain in my side slows my step, but still I am able to move, and still I am able to fight. I feel another blow land across my shoulder as I collapse on my right knee - instinct takes over. I thrust my broadsword upward, feeling the familiar crunching, tearing, flowing feeling as it finds the chainmail, cloth, and body underneath some unfortunate soul's breastplate. It was a perfect strike. As my vision blurs I glance towards my shoulder, this wasn't good. I drop my sword and tear the axe from my body as I collapse to the ground, the warm sensation of the essence of life encompasses me, and I have one last thought... I forgot to say goodbye.

-----------

Theres my attempt at an entry...hope you enjoyed it. :)

Peredhil listens to the Ex-Squire of the Legion of the White Rose with joy. Doing a small Dance step in memory of being Frond, Adept of the Legion, he moves toward the warrior to welcome him.

"I'm so pleased you've made your way here at last! I remember your writings from the UBB, and you should find you've found a home. We're not as formal or structured as the Legion, He pauses to give Melba, the henna-haired Almost Secretary of Wyvern a quelling look to still her choked laughter, but we do love people and writing.

Elder Wyvern should be around to review this in a while, but don't wait for that. Feel free to wander the halls, and check back in here occasionally.

Again, welcome!

With a sniff, Melba ignored Peredhil. At first she thought he was wonderful - well, maybe he was, he did get her fresh bagels - But Oy! he always helped that Wyvern!

When she thought of the number of clues she'd sent that inspector assigned to the Greedy One's case, that delightful Inspector I.M. Clueless...

With melting eyes, she gazed off into fantasies of her beloved Brute, coming to see her bearing a hot pastrami on rye...

Melba's daydream is suddenly interrupted as Wyvern comes barging into the Office carrying a cold honey nugget on Wonder Bread™ sandwich in one hand and a black suitcase bulging full of colorful items in the other. The overgrown lizard swiftly paces by the Almost Secretary and flashes Alzorath one of his token cheesy salesman grins, dropping his suitcase to the ground and brushing off his honey-stained tunic to make his scaly appearence look a tad more presentable.

Quickly bowing to the applicant and apologizing for his absence, Wyvern snatches the application story from Alzorath's hands and reads it over thoroughly several times. An evil grin slowly makes it's way across the reptilian Elder's face as he sets the application story down on his desk, his facial expression causing Melba to quickly rush out of the office in search of the nearest emergancy Anti-Wyvern Mallet...

Turning towards Alzorath, Wyvern sinisterly hisses:

"A very intriguing introduction, Alzorath, certainly acceptable material. Though I can't offer any methods of ressurection for mortal wounds, as that's Elder Gyrfalcon's field, I can offer you some new and improved Almost Dragonic Brand Distinct and Glorious Banners™"

"Well..." starts Alzorath "I-"

Before the applicant can continue, Wyvern opens his black suitecase and pulls out a large banner on which a giant picture of a rabbit in the robes of a king has been drawn. Circling the rabbit are pictures of carrot swords and spears, and directly below the robed animal the words "Mr. Bunnee" have been written in bold letters. Alzorath gazes at the banner curiously.

"This heraldic depiction of Mr. Bunnee will work wonders for striking fear into the hearts of your foes. After all, there's nothing more terrifying then the thought of having to eat vegetables! Plus, as an added bonus, you could dine on your mascot after the battle has ended..."

Alzorath sits in silence for a few moments.

"Well, you see Mr. Wyvern, I-"

Seeing Alzorath's lack of interest in the Mr. Bunnee banner, Wyvern rapidly shuffles through other numerous options in his suitecase until he comes across another banner. Pulling out a large banner on which a majestic picture of himself has been drawn, Wyvern points towards the design and says:

"This one is my personal favorite, your enemy will be so awe-struck by the beauty of the lizard presented on the banner that they won't be able to fight. Plus, if you look really hard, you'll notice that this speck stitched into the lower right-hand corner of the picture is a tiny representation of Melba, who tends to inspire fear-"

At that moment, as if on cue, Melba comes barging back into the Office waving an Anti-Wyvern Mallet in the air. The overgrown lizard stutters as she rushes towards him and clobbers him over the head with it, stamping Alzorath's application ACCEPTED just as he slips into unconsciousness.

;-)

OOC: As Ayshela pointed out, this is a very vivid vignette Alzorath... certainly ACCEPTED. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I look forward to reading more of your stuff, and hope that you'll find us a warm and welcoming creative writing community.

Gyrfalcon steps into the Recruiter's office, wincing as Wyvern slumped forward, unconscious, with Melba standing behind him panting heavily and holding the broken remains of an Anti-Wyvern mallet. Gyrfalcon had wondered why her expenses claims were so large... now he knew.

Wincing again in almost-sympathy for the almost-dragon, Gyrfalcon cleared his throat to capture the somewhat horrified Alzorath's attention.

"Congratulations, Alzorath. I hope your stay here at the Pen is a long one! By the way, we don't mind seeing any art you want to share with us- it just happens that most of the members of the Pen are focused on writing more then the visual arts."

Gyrfalcon inspects Wyvern's wounds to make sure he's alright and applying a touch of healing before nodding politely to Melba and departing, leaving Melba to decide if healing Wyvern constituted giving aid to the enemy. By the time she decided it did, Gyrfalcon was back in the Cabaret Room quietly telling Guido the Bartender that Alzorath's first drink was free that evening.

Looking at the still stunned wyvern...poor scaley man...Alzorath shakes his head slowly

"That had to hurt m'lord... "

As alzorath recomposes himself, he tacks on a small subnote to his short short short story:

Due to current projects, I will probably only be able to visit the boards so often, but if there are any major break throughs I'll be sure to post them :)