The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Travelling the road called Life

Regel

Travelling the road called life.

At the beginning the journey down this road was easy. Carried along in the warmth of a loving family I had every need attended to. I was the oldest and for two wonderful years I also enjoyed being the only child. As I grew older I realized that I was lucky. I had two loving parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings and more cousins than you could shake a stick at. The road had a few bumps here and there but there was always someone around to lend a hand if I needed it.

I understood that moving forward was living and that lingering in one place was not healthy. As a youth I was always racing ahead anxious to see what was waiting around the corner. So much to learn and experience I could never relate to the sadness in my parent’s eyes when they wanted to linger but had to move forward with me. “Come on!” I would say to them and reluctantly they would smile and begin to march forward again. I had so much more to see and so did they through the eyes of their child.

I am a parent now and I understand the sadness in their eyes. I have experienced personal losses and broken dreams and know that they can make your feet grow heavy. Some of the people that held my hand when I was small are gone now and I often stop and look back. I want to linger, but if I do I hear a young voice calling for me. “Come on dad.” I look ahead to see my youngest son and with a smile I reluctantly move forward down that road again.

Edited by Regel