The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Wish

There are many times in peoples lives that they regret. Many ways exist to deal with these regrets, but unfortunately, not all of them are helpful. One that I personaly find very helpful though is to write about them in a poem. This was one such peom writen with that idea in mind. I now wish to perfect this peom, and wish it to be apreciated in the poetic sence.

The Wish

T’was a long and lonely night

that came so long ago

T’was a long and lonely night

that came so it be so

That night that came so long ago

so long I know not when

That night that came so long ago

I’ll not do that again

I wish that that night had not come

that night so long ago

I wish that that night had not come

so I won’t have to go

I do not wish to go away

away so far or near

I do not wish to go away

except from death and fear

But from the pain of it I leave

going on my way

But from the pain of it I leave

although I wish to stay

But staying here cannot be done

because of fear and pain

But staying here cannot be done

or else I might be slain

Slain form all the things that are

and never will be changed

Slain form all the things that are

and never can be gained

... interesting... It has a nice sense of rhythm to it... and it rhymes quite well.

I do not wish to go away

away so far or near

I do not wish to go away

except from death and fear

That one struck me a lot more than the rest did, for some reason.

I like this. The repetition of the lines is a little odd, but it's still pretty good.

Welcome to the Pen!

*Hugs*

Edited by Alaeha

This was really good!

I was drawn to it, and I'm glad that I did read it, because it was well worth it.

The only thing I would note is, while the scheme of A/B/A/B (with the "A" lines being exactly the same) works very well towards the beginning of the poem, it seems to draw away from the overall sense at the end.

I find myself wondering what the terrible night brought to darken your door... and that I enjoyed this piece, verily! Good luck on your application!

Hoping to see you around other areas while you wait ;)

-Merelas

Forgotten Soul slowly leans back in his applicant easychair, wondering what could possibly be taking the infamous Elder of Initiates such a long time to arrive and hoping that the "forgotten" part of his name didn't somehow rub off onto his application... Sighing and shifting in his seat, the eager applicant is about to get up and search around for some information on the Elder of Initiates' whereabouts when suddenly, the door to the Recruiter's Office slams open and Wyvern frantically rushes into the room...

Rapidly bowing to Forgotten Soul and apologizing for his lateness, the reptilian Elder rushes over to his desk and drops a large sack that he's carrying onto it... Quickly shuffling through the numerous papers littered on his desktop until he finally comes across "The Wish", the overgrown lizard reads over the application poem carefully several times before turning towards Forgotten Soul and hissing:

"Cccertainly an acceptable piece of writing, Forgotten Soul... but before I accept your application, allow me to offer you something that you might find to your liking..."

Forgotten Soul raises a brow curiously as Wyvern snickers and rummages through his sack with a scaly claw, pulling out a bottle made of ivory after a short search. Pointing at the bottle and flashing one of his deadly "wannabe salesman" grins, the greedy reptile hisses:

"Tired of being forgotten? Well... this little puppy can cure all your woes! Introducing: Wyvern Brand Memory Plus Formula™, 30% guaranteed to increase people's memory."

Forgotten Soul stares at Wyvern in a confused manner and is about to speak up when the overgrown lizard continues:

"Each potion has been bottled in the ivory of an elephant that never forgot! Wyvern Brand Memory Plus Formula™ comes in three delicious flavors: Strawberry Suppression, Banana Amnesia, and Fruitblend Flashback! So... forget about the price and order yours today!"

"Wyvern..." responds Forgotten Soul, relieved to see that the overgrown lizard has finally ran out of breath and that he has a moment to speak. "I'm actually not interested in memory potions at the moment, particularly those that are only 30% guaranteed... I rather like to think of myself as forgotten."

Wyvern grumbles and nods to this, tossing the ivory bottle back into his overflowing sack of goods and stamping Forgotten Soul's application "ACCEPTED."

;-)

OOC: A good application poem, Forgotten Soul... certainly ACCEPTED. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I apologize for the large waiting period, and hope that you find us a welcoming and friendly creative writing community. :)

And even though forgotten I may may be, forgotten I shal not remain. Always the lonely wandering soul, Forgotten Soul believes he has now found a home. Now he can haunt the hals of the guild and remain, not quite, forgotten.

Thank you for this review Wyvern, and hopefully soon my wandering will lead to many more writings in the future.

Quietly, Forgotten soul leaves though the door, wishing to explore his new home.