The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Pekkle's Bit

Finnius

OOC: It's been done for a while now, but thanks to many bouts of circumstantial stupidity and general irking reality, I have not been able to post this. In any case, sorry about the delay, and no this is not the whole thing. I may get one more part up tonight, but I'm having to re-type it all in Word, then connect for just long enough to copy-and-paste. Be patient, and please don't through shoes at me. Thanks, and enjoy!

Pekkle's Bit,

Part 1: My Name, My World

This takes place long (Well, not too long.) before I came to the Old Conservatory, before I had even heard of it; and before I had been introduced to the Pen. In a way, it is the story of who I am, really. In a way, it is about growing up, both physically and emotionally. And in a way, it is about life, death, and the transcending nature of love. All very poetic thoughts, but none of them were on my mind as I shouldered my pack and set out on the road early one April night. Which is where this story begins.

Before we go any further, I believe that introductions are in order. My name, in full, is Finnius Mustardio Jalopini Canard O’Harpy. Quite a mouthful, if I didn’t just say so myself. Just don’t ask me to do so again. It’s a bit longer now than it was way back when, but I give it to you here in full.

At the time of this story I was… well, I like to call it indigent. A less tactful person would say unemployed and homeless. The reason for this is the economy of Terra, which is almost entirely based on magic. In fact, nearly everyone I meet these days is a mage of some sort, or works for one, or is aspiring to be one, or was transported here through the machinations of one. I have personally encountered angels, numerous demons, walking (And singing… sort of.) trees, at least one god, various and sundry dragons, hordes of verbose animals, dwarves, enough vampires, liches, and zombies to beat the band, and enough elves and variations thereon to beat the undead back off the band. That last anecdote, by the way is not a turn of phrase. It actually happened, and at one of my concerts to boot!

As for what that has to do with me; I’m what you would call ‘human.’ Weird, huh? In fact, I’m one of the only ones I know of, and very possibly the only one of those without any notable supernatural skill. Add in the fact that I’m… kind of blue, and you have one little man that just doesn’t fit in with the magical economy. And no, I’m not sad. I’m blue. From head to toe. As for why this is; the official story involves a school crush and a tattoo parlor, and the unofficial story is unofficial, and therefore not to be trusted. So let’s stick with the first and forget about the second.

In any case, I was walking at night mainly to avoid the sun’s heat. Being a dark shade of indigo, I tend to get hot pretty quickly. The road was straight and firmly packed, if somewhat sparse, and at the time I was on my way to a possible job engagement, namely cooking for a local mage. I felt confident in my abilities to keep the job, even though I couldn’t conjure feasts from thin air, or glaze a ham with my thoughts. In fact, I had had to… stretch the truth… to get the job. Let’s just say that my application had mentioned something about me being ‘A wizard in the kitchen!’ But back to the story.

The sun was rising ahead of me, and I was getting fairly tired when there appeared on my right a small house. It was made of rough-hewn wooden planks, and there was a somewhat wide, red-faced young man in the yard fixing a window. He noticed me and waved, and I waved back cautiously. Cautiously, because you never know what a simple hand-gesture means in Terra. He could’ve been trying to through fireballs at me for all I knew. Still, he had no horns, no giant feathery or leathery wings, no glowing eyes of any color… no tail… he looked human. But looks can be deceiving around here, so, making my formalities, I passed on.

Just as the first house was fading from view behind me, a second appeared on my left. It looked very similar to the first, and an older couple sat in rocking chairs on the porch. The old gentleman looked a great deal like the young man in the yard of the first house I had passed. Possibly a father, or uncle. This didn’t register as odd with me, nor did the third house just a short bit further on, where I caught a glimpse of a woman hanging laundry outside. A woman who could have been a younger version of the old lady on the porch.

Nothing struck me as odd… until I reached the Village

• 1 month later...

Part 2: In the Village

The road wandered past several houses, meandered around a corner or two, and eventually gave up and lead me to a settlement. I looked around for a moment, hoping to see an inn, or at least a tavern, but none were in sight. In my looking, however, I became distinctly aware of the people. Or should I say persons?

It took me a moment to accept, but once there, the thought wouldn't leave my head. This village was populated entirely by two people. I began walking down the main street, and I passed the same bluff man who had been fixing a window in his yard, only he was wearing finer clothes and his hands weren't rough. I saw the same little girl carrying a basket of clothes on her head behind an older version of herself, and then running bare-foot and dusty chasing her mirror-image.

I saw old men playing chess with themselves on the stoop of a shop. The same people, but with endless variations. My head throbbed at the thought. Quite possibly this was because I was tired. And eventually, I found an inn; run by a man I'd seen a hundred times before, and not once in my life met. He did not make me pay for a room, only sign his guestbook, which was decidedly empty, and gave me a good deal on breakfast before showing me to a bed. I slept well into the afternoon, and when I woke up, the town council was waiting for me.

The town council consisted of five people: One man, and one woman; the man present two times and the woman three. One of the men approached me hesitantly.

"Your name is... Finnius, right? We don't get many visitors around here. My name is Pekkle the Mayor. The woman to my right is Pekkle the Trader, and the one to my left is Pekkle the Farmer. The other man is Pekkle the Smith, and the woman at his side is Pekkle the Tanner. We represent the Village, and would like to speak with you."

The Mayor motioned to a table farther to the right, and I followed him to it and sat. The other four members of the council followed us as far as the table, then each nodded to the Mayor and left. Confused, I kept my tongue.

"You're probably wondering what's going on by now. I know that this village is... less than normal. But bear with me and I'll explain. And afterwards, I'll ask you a thing or two.

This village, the Village of Pekkle; was founded a long time ago. Exactly how long, I'm not sure, but it predates any of our records. What we do know is how and why it was founded. In the beginning, there was a man and a woman. We don't know their names, but we do know their faces. These two people were from warring tribes, or maybe feuding families, or it could have been hostile countries. All we know is that their cultures were incompatible, and unfriendly with each other. But somehow... this man and woman met, and fell in love. It's an old story, true. They knew that their love could not be stable or safe, but neither was willing to give up on the other. So they ran away from their countries, their tribes, their families. And through trial, through hardship; they came here. We don't know how long it took, only that it was a long time. Their food had run out and they would soon starve to death. They held on to each other and prepared for the end.

And just as they were about to succumb, they heard... not a voice, exactly. More a thought, an idea. They heard the Demon Pekkle. Pekkle was old. Older than old, and very wise. Also very bored, was Pekkle. It had long since learned almost everything it cared to know, and had done almost everything it cared to do. But here, right where it had came to rest, were two beings that intrigued Pekkle very much. The Demon had not had contact with humans before, and was puzzled by their lack of magic. It did not understand their willingness to die with each other, when they could have lived separately. The Demon did not understand love. But it wanted to.

And the Demon made the man and woman an offer. It would grant them life, and longevity, if they would let it bond itself to their souls. The Demon promised to leave the two alone and not to hurt them, only observe and protect. The man and woman considered this, and eventually saw no other alternative. They accepted, and became the First Pekkles: Pekkle the Man and Pekkle the Woman.

Over time, the two had children, and were surprised when their children looked like them. Through the artifice of the Demon, their children had children, and so on down the line. Each new Pekkle was infused with the soul of the Demon, and also with the soul of the First Two. This was the longevity that the Demon had spoken of; the children of the Two would forever be reflections of them. We are all aspects of those two, and of the Demon. It watches us still, and learns. But there is a problem.

Recently, Pekkles have been... getting ill. Some of us have died. The illness is contagious, but otherwise we cannot identify it. It only seems to affect Pekkles, and without help we will soon be dead. I must ask you to perform a service for us. Pekkle the Soothsayer has read the future and seen our end. This Village is doomed, but the Demon, and our line, can be saved. There is still a child who has not been infected. Take her with you when you leave. Take her far away and keep her alive so that we might all live again. Please, I beg you."

The Mayor waited for my response. He waited a long time.

OOC: OK, kids, that's it for the night. I would also like to apologize for the misspelling of the word throw in part one. Hope you enjoyed, good night, and sweet dreams.

Part 3: Like a Child

I’m not sure how many of you have been in a similar situation, this being Terra, but for me it was a hard decision. Keep in mind, I was quite… errr… financially challenged… at the time. I could barely support myself, let alone a child. Also, I’ve never really been good with children… I honestly couldn’t see myself raising one, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to abandon it to some orphanage. Also, it was a demon. And not just any demon, but a capitalized ‘Demon’ But then again, my conscience would never let me live it down if I left this kid here to die. There was really no choice.

“All right. I’ll take her.”

The Mayor did not look happy. He did not look angry, or relieved, or… much of anything. He gave me a key, told me where to use it, and then he left. I never saw him again.

The key fit a lock on the top floor of the inn. Inside was a little girl whose face was very familiar. She was sitting on the floor, rolling a red ball at the far wall, and then catching it when it came back. As soon as the door opened, she turned and looked at me. Nothing else.

“Err… Hello,” I said.

“You’re gonna take me away, aren’t you…” She sounded sad.

“Yeah… yeah I am. If that’s ok with you.”

And so we left. Me with my stick and pack, uncomfortable already, and she with a pack of her own. As we left, I saw no one. It was like the Village was deserted. She looked like she would cry any moment.

“Hey, um… so, what’s your name? I’m Finnius.”

“Pekkle.”

“Just Pekkle, not Pekkle the Something-or-other?”

“Just Pekkle. We don’t get our full names until we *sniff* …until we grow up.”

“I see… well… let’s… get going then.” Like I said, I’m not good with children. So we walked silently for a while. Sometime around noon, having long since passed the boundaries of the Village, we stopped for lunch, and a rest. Looking at my food supply, my heart sank. A few cups of rice, a couple of distinctly withered carrots, half a loaf of bread, and four apples that had seen better days. With no water in sight, the rice was definitely out, which left us not much to choose from.

“So… fruits or vegetables?” I grinned a bit. Pekkle looked unimpressed. She also remained quiet.

“Soooo… fruits it is…”

I cut two of the apples into slices, and we ate. After which, we walked. Pekkle found a rock and began kicking it ahead of her as we walked.

I remember that first day with Pekkle well. How uneasy I was to be in the custody of this child… the distinct feeling that I would fail her. I honestly didn’t know what I was going to do about her; I could barely think past getting this cooking job. Suddenly it hit me that I wasn’t ready for this, that there was no way I could deal with raising a child. But I couldn’t just get rid of her, after all… It was the most terrifying day of my life.

That night, I slept not a wink. I just stayed up, trying to figure out how we were going to survive. Pekkle, on the other hand, slept like a rock. By the time the sun came up, I still hadn’t cornered my brain into giving me a direct answer, but I had determined that I would at least get to know my charge a little better. I started as we were packing up.

“So, um… Pekkle… how old are you?”

“I’m six. How about you?” She seemed to be in decidedly better mood than the previous day.

“Well, I’m… errr… you know, I’m not really sure.”

“How can you not be sure about how old you are?”

“We don’t really celebrate birthdays where I’m from. In fact, until I left home, I didn’t even know what one was.” Pekkle’s eyes went wide with horror.

“That sounds awful!”

“Not really. I didn’t mind, but then, I didn’t know what I was missing.”

“I guess…”

We finished packing up and set out on the road again. I continued my line of questioning.

“So what do you do for fun?”

“I used to play with the other kids… but then everybody got sick.” She looked down at her feet and started sniffing. I wasn’t about to let today turn into a repeat of yesterday.

“Well, I could play with you sometime, if you want.” She looked up at me sideways, obviously confused.

“But… you’re old. Old people don’t play.”

“Hey, I’m not that old! Seriously, what do you want to play?”

“Well… we could play catch…” Pekkle still sounded uncertain, but she pulled out the red ball she had been playing with back at the inn and tossed it to me. Now let me tell you, playing catch while walking down the road isn’t as easy as one would think. It was a bit of a strain to keep up with Pekkle, but somehow I managed. Still, something nagged at the back of my mind, and it wasn’t until much later that I put my finger on it; I had bundled Pekkle’s pack into my own and was now carrying all of our possessions.

Pekkle had pulled a ball out of nowhere.

Yes Pekkle the Village people :) there's the Police Pekkle, the Firemen Pekkle, the Farmer Pekkle, and then Postmen Pekkle.. and they all started doing the Y-M-C-A!!! and you know it when i say Y-M-C-A!

anyways enought with that lame joke.. when can we see Stripper Pekkle (why stripe when everyone looks excately like each other), or Bandit Pekkle (It wasn't me.. it's the other Pekkle I swear! We all look alike!)

Part 4: Growing Pains

“Wake up… c’mon, wake up!”

Pekkle was tugging at the corner of my blanket. I groggily opened one eye and assessed the situation. The sun still hadn’t come up. The eye closed again.

“I know you’re awake!”

No use. She had me cornered.

“…mmmm…what is it?” Eloquent, ain’t I?

“There’s a monster under my bed… could you get rid of it?”

I sprang into action. Leaping from the bed and throwing my robe around me, I grabbed my walking stick from its corner and warily stalked my way into Pekkle’s room. The low light of the moon dimly illuminated a small chest of clothes and several scattered toys. I crept closer towards the bed…

I will pause for a moment to explain, lest you think I am stupid for taking this matter so seriously.

We had arrived at the province of Shiwa several days ago, where my prospective job had turned into an actual, physical task. So far I had managed not to disappoint, and was more financially stable than at any point in recent memory. I had instantly taken up residence in one of the many fine Shiwan inns, renting out adjoining rooms for Pekkle and myself. This was quite expensive; as these rooms were full-sized and thus had two beds apiece, but it was a price I was willing to pay for the modicum of privacy it provided me. Pekkle was constantly in and out of my room when not asleep. Shiwa was apparently very insular, and she was having trouble making friends. So was I, for that matter. While nice enough, my coworkers were distant and aloof.

For the time, we were each other’s only companionship. So I learned to play tiddlywinks and Pekkle got to listen to my stories.

Shortly thereafter, Pekkle began waking me up in the middle of the night. She claimed there was a monster under her bed, or in her closet, or something to that effect, and I told her to go back to sleep. She went back, albeit hesitantly, and several hours later the screaming started.

I bolted upright and grabbed my staff, then tore into Pekkle’s room. I could have kicked myself. Terra, as I have explained before, is solely based on magic. A monster under the bed is no uncommon thing. And there it was, cornering my young charge. It was nearly as large as I was, and covered in coarse black hair. Its black claws were stuck in the thick mattress where it had missed Pekkle. It was preparing to strike again.

I clubbed the monstrosity over the head and it turned toward me, red eyes and yellow fangs glistening wetly. I considered running. Then I realized that this course of action would leave Pekkle alone with the beast and I struck it again. There was a dull thud and the creature fell over sideways. All bark and no bite.

So the next time Pekkle came to me with a monster report, I swung into action. I waved my staff around under her bed for a while and encountered nothing. I then lit a candle and thoroughly searched her closet. Nothing there. False alarm, or so it seemed.

Pekkle, however, was unconvinced and begged to sleep in my room that night. As there were two beds, I didn’t see any harm in it, and capitulated. As I was falling back to sleep, I heard a sound… it sounded like crying.

In the morning I went off to work and Pekkle… it sounds horrible, I know, but I’m not sure what she did during those long days. I came home after lunch and Pekkle and I would talk, usually about me. She was very good at shifting the conversation away from herself, but I did manage to find out that she spent a lot of time trying to play with the other children, and not succeeding. I felt bad for the kid, but I didn’t really know how to deal with the situation. So I did what any pro-tem parent would do. I went to a Fortune Teller.

It was a small, dirty, cluttered house, and it stank of mildew. There was dust caked onto everything. In short, the perfect place to find my quarry. She was in the back, draped in a quilt, and looked as if she would crumble under its weight. I knew better. Fortune Tellers are by their nature nearly immortal. In fact, there are some people who think that a Fortune Teller can’t really see the future and is just so old that they know practically everything, and can therefore make better than average guesses. Either way I needed an answer.

I told the old lady everything. About the Demon, about the Village, about Pekkle, I even told her about the monster. And then she told me something.

“You cannot keep her,” she wheezed, “You will not be able to control her… you must find the one… who is like you… and also like her…”

The old woman told me to depart then, and I did. What else could I do? She made sense; I wasn’t an ideal caretaker for this little demon girl. Still, I’d gotten to know Pekkle pretty well, and I wasn’t going to be happy to let her go… I mean, I’d kind of gotten used to her. I almost felt like a parent. But I knew she was right.

I hurt. And I was glad that I hurt. It meant I was human.

• 1 month later...

Part 5: Waking Up

It started only a week after we had left Shiwa. I was sorry to leave behind the only steady paycheck I'd had in recent memory, but otherwise our leave-taking was surprisingly easy. Neither of us had accumulated much by way of possesions, and there was no one to say goodbye to...

It only took one week to prove the Fortune Teller right.

I remember that it was unusually cold. My breath as I set up camp steamed and smoked around me. Pekkle found this effect pretty and puffed out her cheeks so that she could exhale for longer periods. It looked very silly.

When we settled down for the night we huddled together for warmth, despite the sizable campfire. Which is why I bolted upright holding my ears when Pekkle started screaming. It wasn't the short bursts of sound that signal a nightmare, but one long, continuous wail. There was obviously something wrong here.

I tried shaking her, I tried talking to her, I tried yelling at her, nothing worked. It occured to me that if she didn't stop soon, Pekkle would pass out. I clapped my hand over her mouth and held it shut. After a moment, she stopped struggling and opened her eyes. They were bloodshot and red, swollen like a sick person's. There was blood leaking from the corners.

My heart was trying to burst out of my ribcage as I patted the blood away. Pekkle began sobbing and babbling incoherently. I could only make out one word out of ten. I held Pekkle and rocked her back to sleep. I, on the other hand, stayed up and shaken the rest of the night.

---------------------------------

The next morning, Pekkle got up and packed, ate breakfast, and generally acted like nothing had happened. I didn't know if this was because she didn't remember what had happened or if she just didn't want to talk about it. I couldn't see how to bring it up without upsetting the poor kid, so I played along.

Two days later, we encountered two people on the road. Pekkle and I were heading east, and these two were going west. They were large men, and dirty. There was a dangerous look about them and they both wore cudgels at their waists. As soon as they spotted us, they began grinning and stroking the clubs. These were not gentlemen. I kept my head down and prayed that Pekkle would stay quiet.

As we passed them I smelled cheap beer and hay. And then there was a blinding pain in the back of my head and the sound of a little girl screaming.

I wheeled around clutching my walking stick to see one of the dirty brutes advancing on me and the other holding Pekkle off the ground by her forearms. Pekkle lashed her legs out in front of her and caught the goon in the groin. He crumpled to the ground and Pekkle ran off into the underbrush.

I, however, was not so lucky. I swung my stick at the burly bandit, who easily knocked it out of the way and clubbed me in the face. I folded like Wyvern at a low-stakes poker table. A boot caught me in the midsection. I felt a rib crack. For the next several minutes blows rained on me from all directions.

My vision began to blur by the time a rather large contingent of what appeared to be knights riding on large silver dragons appeared out the clear blue sky and began pummeling my two assailants. They fled and the dragon squad followed them.

The last thing I saw before blacking out was Pekkle standing in the middle of the road with blood on her fists and a wide toothy grin.

--------------------------------

OOC: So sorry about the near-two-month delay in this part. I kind of moved a while back, but I hope to be posting a bit more regularly. Please refrain from sending ninjas to assassinate me. (Pered, that means you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Part 6: The Longest Thirty Seconds of My Life

"Wakey-wakey little man..."

Cold water hit me in the face and I started awake. I could feel a blunt pain in my torso, and my left eye seemed to be swollen shut. Over me stood a woman with black hair and... "gu-gah!" red eyes. That 'gu-gah!,' by the way, was my introduction to said woman. I mention this because it is quite possibly the least eloquent thing I have ever said upon waking up from a near-death experience.

And sad to say, I've had my share of those.

In any case, I sat up to get my bearings, and immediately went back down, as I noticed I was a little bit naked. Also, there was the searing pain. But mainly I went down because of the naked thing.

"... err... where's my clothes?" Ok, so 'gu-gah!' is the second least eloquent thing I've ever said upon waking up from a near-death experience.

"Don't you worry about that, my little blue friend. You're still not well enough to be moving around yet. Just get some rest for now. Are you hungry?"

Have you ever noticed that your stomach never growls until someone asks you if you're hungry?

"I'll take that as a yes," she grinned, as she walked out the door.

Being alone for a moment I checked out my surroundings. I was in a fairly posh room; with white and black silk dominating the decor. The floors and door were made of smooth-grain oak, and there was a nice big window with a view of some busy city square. I could also glimpse a good-sized tree in the middle of said square. Pekkle was nowhere to be noticed, for which I was glad, considering my state of undress. I was not, however, glad to notice that my clothes were also missing. It was at this point that my assumed rescuer returned with a large piece of bread. She walked over to the bed where I was stationed and handed it to me. I immediately began 'being smooth.'

"mmff... *hey, there wasch a liddle grrl wif me, didya hapfeb to see her?" I asked through a mouthful of rye.

"Oh, you must mean Pekkle. Yes, she's here as well... oh, I'm so rude! I haven't even introduced myself yet! My name is Peanut... Peanut O'Harpy."

Cue the ominous music.

Part 7: dot dot dot- Desert- Question Mark

I spent the next day or so drifting in and out of consciousness, and occasionally conversing with Peanut and Pekkle. Peanut, as it turned out was a merchant queen, and had come across my battered and beaten body on her way home from making a killing in Shiwa. Pekkle had pleaded for help, and lucky for me Peanut was a kind and generous soul. As for the red eyes, they were apparently just red eyes. She said it was "a family thing."

As for where home was...

When I did eventually regain the use of my higher motor skills, after about a week, Pekkle and Peanut took me out for a walk. Peanut replaced my normal non-descript robes with finely tailored black and blue silk. I protested, as I have never been a fan of exorbitantly expensive apparel. She explained that it was either this, or parade around naked. I dressed up.

The interior of the O'Harpy family manor is a little hard to explain. Depending on where you look, this place is either an elegant and tasteful home, or a gaudy eyesore that needs to be condemned. I felt it best not to comment on this to Peanut, as many of the wall hangings included large pointy objects.

The exterior, on the other hand, is much more consistent, with large trees dominating the scenery, interspersed with fountains and bird baths. If you ever get the chance to visit this place, I'm sure that you will agree it is one of the most lovely pieces of architecture in the whole of Terra.

Upon leaving the O'Harpy grounds, we found ourselves in a fairly large city square, dominated by a circle of stone in the center, raised about two feet off the ground and suspended by... nothing. There were many people milling about, as well as some things that were not quite people. I counted at least one large scaled object. Peanut noticed me staring and politely tapped me on the shoulder.

"Try not to make eye contact with that one, OK?"

"Hmm... Wha?"

"He's not such a bad sort, but let's just say that it's a good thing you don't have much by the way of earthly possessions."

"Umm... yeah."

Pekkle, in the meantime had run up to the big stone circle and seated herself on it. The circle immediately began spinning around.

"Hey, um, Peanut? Should she be doing that?"

"Oh, don't worry about it, that's what it's there for! Well, that and the one other thing, but you don't need to worry about that right now. Let's just let her play here for a while, and I'll show you around. It's perfectly safe."

And so we left Pekkle to her spinning joy and made our way across the square. Peanut showed me all the 'important' places in this city, such as the dress shop, and the flower arranger's, and the bakery, and, of course, the bank.

Eventually, we meandered out towards the city gates. I noticed a good bit of dust on the horizon, and asked Peanut what it was.

"Oh, that's just the desert."

"... desert?"

"Yeah, there's a desert out that way, it goes on for days. Actually, we had to cross it to get in here, but you were kind of knocked out at the time. It's really a very pretty place."

"Umm... yeah, about that... This may be kind of rude of me, but... you never really told me where here is Peanut. You think you could maybe enlighten me?"

"Well, if you go north by northeast of Shiwa, for about two days, you'll come to the desert... then you go a few more days east and you come here."

"Errr... Ok, I get that, but where is here? Doesn't this place have a name?"

"Not exactly. Mostly we just call it the Conservatory."

"That's... a little cumbersome."

"You'll get used to it."

• 4 weeks later...

Part 8: Life in the Conservatory

Several weeks went by, and I learned the little ins and outs of this strange new city. It seemed that the Conservatory was the main cultural hub of this area, as well as a center of commerce... everything got traded here, but mainly information.

I began making aquaintances, and playing the little word-games which were the local pass-time. One, in particular, caught my attention. There was an entire section of town, cleary marked, where one could not do business unless one were to speak in verse. I remember the first time Peanut showed me around Poets' Quarter clearly.

"A lesson for you, my little friend,

In the way things work around here,

Three geld in coins, to you I'll lend,

To buy two rings for my ears."

It took me a moment to realize that Peanut was going to give me three geld, and wanted me to buy a pair of earrings for her. Obviously, I'm not that quick a learner.

After looking around for a bit, I found a jeweler's shop, and went in. Right there in the front display was the perfect pair. Two medium-sized rubies set in silver stared up at me. I addressed the portly dwarf behind the counter.

"Hey, how much for the ruby earrings?"

He ignored me.

"Err... sir?"

"What's at, my lad?

That wasn't too bad."

"Yeah, how much for the ruby set, there?"

Nothing. It is at this point that you, kind reader, have obviously caught on. I, however, am not so mentally spry as most. Think I'm kidding? Read on...

"I would like to know,

How much those ruby earrings,

Are selling for now..."

"Hey, good for you!

That's a nice haiku!

As for the price,

Does three geld sound nice?"

"Err... yes... I guess..."

Whereon he handed them over and I exited the strange little man's shop. I met Peanut out on the street a moment later, and as we walked back to the manor, she asked me how the trip was.

"Well, it was all right, but the deaf dwarf apparently thought I'd made some kind of political overthrow at great elevation."

"What?"

"I'm not sure, but he said something about a 'high coup,' whatever that means."

Peanut giggled all the way back to the manor.

• 1 month later...

Part 9: The Party of a Lifetime

I remember that it was winter. I had been living in the Conservatory for several months now, and had generally gotten used to the strange style of existence that this place afforded. Pekkle ran around the town and played. I had gotten a job as a scribe for one of the local magelords, of which there were many. Occasionally we got together and had a meal, or played jacks, (Pekkle always won.) and I gathered that the kid was finally making some friends.

We were still staying in the O'Harpy family manor, although I had enough geld to support a small apartment. The trouble was, Pekkle had bonded to Peanut and I was loathe to separate them as long as Peanut was okay with the situation.

Which is how I came to be talking to the merchant queen herself, over a steaming cup of cocoa, nonetheless. We sipped our drinks for a while and made small talk, and eventually I came around to the 'Question.'

"Peanut, you've been great about this whole living situation. I just... I don't know, I hate to take advantage. I think it might be time that I left."

"Finn, you know that I don't mind, but if that's the way you feel, I won't stop you...," she stared into her cup for a while, then looked up at me. "What are you going to do about Pekkle? I think she's gotten used to the place, she was talking about inviting one of her little friends over... think it was Mendi or Mmixa or..."

"Minta?"

"That's it. See, you can't just uproot the girl, she's got a guest! Point settled, you're staying."

"Not necessarilly... what if... you..."

"What if you kept her? Is that what you're trying to say?"

"How did you... am I talking in my sleep?"

"Not exactly. I hired a mage to read your thoughts, make sure you were safe to keep around the manor. Standard proceedure."

"You hired a mage... to spy on my brain?"

"Something like that. And she told me some very interesting things... like about a certain trip a certain someone paid to a certain Soothsayer..."

"So you know about that."

"I'm sorry for you Finnius... but I'm not the one you're looking for. And besides, how do you even know she was right? Pekkle's a bit precocious, but I'd hardly call her a handful, let alone a demon."

"She was right... I can tell it whenever I talk to her. Pekkle's been... changing, ever since we left her Village. She's becoming less human, and more... something else. Not a demon, definitely, but something powerful. God help me if she ever throws a tantrum..."

We sat there in silence, the only sound the sloshing of now lukewarm cocoa. Peanut once again broke the silence.

"Well, brooding isn't going to solve anything. I think it's time we took you out on the town. Meet me outside at the gates, just after sundown. And wear something nice."

That night, Peanut took Pekkle and myself to one of the Conservatory's many ballrooms. Pekkle made quite the pretty picture in some kind of wrap which Peanut insisted on calling a 'kimono,' while I was in my dress blacks. Peanut had chosen a sparkly green something-or-other and looked stunning as always. We twirled around the room a time or two, until the doors opened to admit quite possibly the most stunning woman I had ever seen.

She was wrapped in dark blue velvet, with black elbow length gloves worked sparsely in diamonds. Her skin was sun-dark and she moved with an elegance that seemed to insinuate that she could tapdance on a sand dune. A large fellow escorted her in, but my eyes were firmly trapped by this vision.

"If you must stare, at least close your mouth," Peanut murmered into my neck. "I don't think Cerulean's noticed, but everyone else in the room certainly has."

I knew she was right, and I closed my slack jaw, but my eyes... my traitorous eyes... Cerulean... blue. Just like me. And as I tore my eyes away to check on Pekkle, I realized what I had to do.

Edited by Finnius

• 2 months later...

Part 10: Cerulean's Masquerade

'A wolf dressed as a dwarf, a polymorphed half-elf-wyvern, a rastafarian treeman, and several mobsters,' I thought. 'If this ain't the place...'

By the time I arrived, the party was in full swing. Booze flowed freely; (Or was it flew? At times both, I think.) it didn't take me long to help myself to a stiff scotch in preperation of what I was soon to do. I only hoped that Cerulean would accept the 'gift' I was going to give her.

------------

But I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? Y'see, several days had passed since I spied Cery at the dances and word had gotten around that there was to be a party thrown for her. An unbirthday, or something to the effect. In any case, it was a gift-giving occasion. Peanut had come up with the idea, and Pekkle, although a bit morose, agreed to give it a try. As for myself, I'd never felt lower. Add in the fact that Peanut wouldn't be attending due to a business meeting, and I was set up for disaster. Madame O'Harpy had assured me, however, that I would not be without assistance. One of her cousins was to be attending. I believe her name was Scarlett...

It was to be a costume party, with the attending mages dressed as other prominent mages. I chose to go as Canid, and glued faux-fur to strategic points on my person. It looked horrible, but that's not the point. In any case, by the time Cerulean actually arrived, I had loosened up considerably, and was seated in a circle with Gyrfalcon (Dressed as Wyvern.) and Tyrion (Who was actually Mindspawn in disguise.)

---------

Cerulean stands at the top of the staircase frozen mid-step. The thunderous throb of bass resonates through the hall. She sees a stage at the furthest end of the room outlined in cobalt blue neon. To the left, a rotating Casino spins and clacks with the whirr of roulette tables and eagerly slung poker chips. Tearing her gaze right, she sees a corridor leading off to a swimming pool of booze complete with white-knuckle rides.

Multi-coloured strobes dance and flash lending a staccato surreality to the movements of the guests below. The lumbering approach of an ogre does little to reassure her - and as he leans in menacingly asking to see her 'gift' - Cerulean's mouth, highlighted momentarily by the dazzling lights, defines a perfectly shaped O.

I sat stunned for a few moments as Wyvern (Masquerading as Brute.) and Peredhil (Dressed as Kendricke.) greeted the lady of honor. I then attempted to do the same. Alas, I was... well a little bit tipsy. It went something like this:

A slightly inebriated blue wolf (That being me.) rushed up to Cerulean and half-led, half-pulled her over to a large box sitting in possibly the only unoccupied corner. He jumped up on two legs and grabbed a wine glass, which he began beating mercilessly with a spoon. Once he had gotten the attention of the greater part of the assembled partygoers, he yelled this:

"Look evr'body, i's Cerulle... Cerulll... i's HER!! Le's sing happi unbirt'ay!!"

The resulting cacophony should never be put into words, but let it suffice to say it sounded nothing like "Happy Unbirthday," and ended with the words "Monkey-like lizard."

At this point, Finnid opened the large box and hopped in. After several seconds, he came back out with a beautiful and completely tasteful necklace. It was a thin silver chain wth a gold-inlaid heart set into a saphire pendant.

"Curlleena, would you put th't on, pleesh?"

Cerulean, being the center of attention, really has no choice but to oblige. As she does, what appears to be a ten-year old girl in a red-trimmed grey kimono jumps out of the box and gives her a large hug.

"Hi," she says, "I'm Pekkle, and I'm your birthday present. Oh, it's not your birthday? OK, unbirthday present then."

The blue wolf mage is grinning like a madman, and "aawwww..." can be heard from just about everyone. Cerulean is turning a lovely shade of crimson, and Finnius is beginning to wonder if he forgot to say something important about Pekkle.

The rest of the night blurred by for me. There was more drinking, and games with cards, there were locusts and fire, and even a wedding. But my night, and a small part of my life had ended when that box opened.

So that's my story, short though it may be. I can speak no more for my actions than what I already have. Pekkle, at the end of the night had accepted Cerulean, and went home with her. I heard no more of the little demoness, although I do miss her from time to time.

-----------------

The End

OOC:

So there it is, finished at last. I would like to give credit where it is due in this last installment. The second post in italics was origionally written by one Cerulean all those (Two.) years ago. In any case, I hope you enjoyed this.

-

Edited by Finnius