The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Another meek attempt at applying

/A pale girl slips into the crowded Application room, pushing her glasses further up the bridge of her nose and looks around briefly/

"These people will surely be accepted. But I'm not like them...I'll just have to try again...and again." /she mumbles to herself, walking towards the messy desk, piled to the ceiling with papers and other things. She nimbly pulls a thick, blank, slightly bent application form from the mess, praying that the unsteady stack wouldn't fall on top of her. It didn't/

"Oook..." /she takes a deep breath and sits down on the floor, near the back, setting down her black messenger bag carefully./

"All I need is some inspiration..." /she mumbles, pulling out a rather battered looking book entilted "Urban Legends." She flips through it and smiles/

"That's it!" /she says in an excited whisper and looks at the application/

Name: Pip, Emily, that other girl, doesn't matter as long as it isn't something disrespectful.

Amount enclosed: Nice try, Wyv. All I have is a dollar, and that's going into the soda machine so I can get a Mountain Dew. :P

Application text

/The girl named Pip pauses, chewing on the end of her green pen/

"Here goes nothing...."

Doctor Luu's Notes: The old urban legion tells of the crashed car of the young couple with a metal hook hanging from the door handle. Everyone blamed this unknown man...Maybe it's time to hear his side of the story...

Doctor Luu's office, 10 year's ago

"So you want to hear my story, Doctor? All right.... (sighs)

As you know, I'm known as the "Man with the hook for a hand." How exact. You know what the problem with people is? They don't take time to actually meet a person. They only see what they want to see. They label you without a second's thought, and t hat name sticks with you throughout you entire life, you know what I mean? Yes, Doctor, that is a rather cynical way to look at the world, but it's true.

Anyway. I guess my life...or my "problem" as all of you medical people call it starts after the War. The Vietnam War. I was only 18 when I was drafted...what's that doctor? Oh, yes, I am quite young by your standards, I suppose. Are all doctors old like you? Oh dear, I didn't mean to call you that...I do apologize. All of the ones I've talked to see to have been my senior. Hmmm? Ok, I'm sorry, Doctor, I didn't mean to get off track.

Yes, well, I lost my hand in the war, held a grenade a twinge too long. A stupid thing to do, I know. Don't ask me how I only lost my hand, I don't know. Luck I guess. Well, I was taken to a makeshift hospital, and there was nothing they could to do. All they could do was give me this prosthetic, this claw. What's that, Doctor? No, no, I wasn't upset about it at all. I was quite glad to be out of that horrid place, it gives me chills just thinking about it. It was like hell on earth. Also, I couldn't wait to see my beloved, Cynthia. Don't look at me like that, I was capable of love back then. And how I did love her. But when I was honourably discharged and sent home, I found that she was dying. Dying of cancer. Back then, there wasn't much we could do. All I could do was watch her die. I felt like dying myself. Yes, Doctor, a few months after her death, I attempted suicide. But it wasn't only because of her. Oh yes, her death was a major part of it, but I also couldn't live with myself. I still can't, knowing what I did to all those innocent people. (shudders) I couldn't take it, I saw no way out. So I took a whole bottle of aspirin. I was living with my sister at the time. She didn't know I was going to do it, I was very quiet about it. I didn't mention my troubles to anyone. I've been raised to do that, and the only one I trusted was six feet under. Her butler found me lying unconscious at my desk, an apology scribbled on a scrap of paper, a bottle of ink spilled all over the floor. Aye, I suppose it was a suicide note, Doctor. He immediately called the ambulance, my stomach was pumped and I sent to the psychiatric ward. Why didn't I use a gun? I don't like guns, Doctor, they do too much damage. They create a mess. Blood splatters and gunpowder residue. Plus it's hard to muffle a gunshot. Don't try to understand my logic, Doctor, you'll give yourself a headache. I have trouble sometimes myself. But that's beside the point. I talked too a great many shrinks... Excuse me, Doctor? Oh, yes, excuse me, psychiatrists. I was committed to Red Hills Psychiatric Center. You know of the place? Very nice, although all the white gets a little mind altering. What do I mean by that? Well, if YOU had to stare at blank white walls all day, wouldn't you go a little loony? Yes, there were things I could do. But it was hard. I mean no offense to the people there, they were very nice, but I didn't feel like I belonged. I had no real mental problems that I could see...except for the slow, on going lunacy. But that was caused by the silence, white walls, and TV dinners. I think that place did more harm then good. But it also gave me a chance to explore my creativity. I wrote poems while I was in there. What? You'd like to hear one, Doctor? Well, I'm not sure if you'd like it, but ok. Hmmm...I know. I wrote this about how I felt when I found out that Cynthia was dead. (pauses)

"Going Crazy

Spinning out of control

There goes my brakes

Here comes the wall

Watch it crash

Watch it burn

Watch it fall down

See the results

There goes gravity

Everything's one big blur

Red mixed with black

Screaming until my throat goes raw

Everyone staring

Everyone asking me what's wrong

Everyone questioning my sanity

Going crazy

Spinning out of control..."

"Yes, I suppose it's a little odd, but I'm not too much of a poet, Doctor. I tried, but I wasn't very successful. Anyway, after a few months, I was released. Oh how great it was! I could walk anywhere I wanted, without anyone following me, without guards watching my every move. Well, yes, they did want to keep an eye on me, so they had my sister's husband keep an eye out. He's a very nice man. You should meet him one day. Very polite.

Ah, yes, where was I? Oh yes. You remember that psychopath who escaped? The one with, consequently, a hook for an arm? Well, there were alarms and warnings about him. "Don't get near him. He's a very dangerous man. Keep your children and pets inside." That sort of thing. It didn't occur to me that I might be mistaken for him. After all, he had a hook like a pirate, and I had a prosthetic mental hand claw thing. I was walking up to Lover's Hill, you ever been there when you were younger? It' s so beautiful. Cynthia and I used to go up there and have pick-nicks and watch the sun set and just be with each other. But, alas, soon it became Make out Point. Teenage couples going up there and getting busy in the back of their cars. It was a bit annoying, but I found a little spot by myself, near this cute young couple who were sitting in the car. They were just sitting there, the man whispering things in his lover's ear. Very sweet. I was watching them out of the corner of my mind, nostalgic over the times I spent with Cynthia. Then I noticed their car slipping forward. I immediately tried to get their attention, but they didn't notice me. I knocked on their window, and that's when the girl started screaming. She thought I was the psycho. She started screaming and carrying on, making the car slide even closer to the edge. By the time her boyfriend calmed her down and realized what was going on, it was too late. He tried to break, but the car rolled down the hill. It kept building up speed, I think the boy was trying to stop or change direction. The car only stopped...when it slammed into the tree. My hand was stuck on their door handle, I had pulled back quickly when the girl got upset. That's what they found, the broken and mangled bodies, and this claw, hanging off the handle. And that's what happened, Doctor. It made me crazy, I blame myself. I should have just stayed at home. Yes, Doctor? Time's up? Ok, it was nice talking to you. Thank you, Doctor, a good day to you too."

/She caps her pen and slips it back into her bag, the book as well, and walks back to the desk. She swallows nervously and puts the application in the pile of other hopefuls, and quickly leaves the room/

[[i sincerely hope that was good enough!! -wince-]]

It is good to hear the speech of new voices and better when talent and thought are evident in what is said. There seems to be no small uncertainty within and beneath the speaking of this new voice, however. That is, of course, to be expected. He smiles at the memory of his own hesitant words of application. He speaks then and the measured cadences of his breathing follow the trail of speech left by this new voice until his own words enter the office of that one who is almost a dragon. There is a slight movement in the air around the visitor as the words he has spoken find her and speak a quiet greeting:

Words of welcome

and wishes of luck

with the application

scribed by your pen,

and more than greetings and

fond wish-filled thoughts:

esteem for your words,

encouragement to write

spoken by a reader whose eyes

would see more of your work.

ooc: Autumn Sun, welcome, good luck and keep writing!

/A quick nod and a thankful smile, wolfish ears twitching slightly/ Thank you! Just what this little anthro hobbit needs, encouragement! /a thumbs up sign and an offer of gum is given to the complimenter, before she returns to her almost catatonic state/

Autumn Sun fidgets nervously in her applicant easychair, clutching her Pen application tightly in her hands and wondering what was taking the overgrown lizard such a long time to arrive... Fiddeling with the quill that she had written her application story with, the jittery applicant bites her lip at the thought of her application not being considered "good enough" by the Pen's standards... She had discarded her previous application due to similar worries, and it was only natural that they should reoccur in the reptilian Elder's extended absence...

Autumn Sun's thoughts are suddenly interrupted as she hears the shuffling of feet directly outside the office door. Quickly perking up, the excited applicant makes sure she looks presentable as a large figure hobbles into the room. The form moves forward a few steps before noticing the slim girl seated in an office chair and stopping abruptly. The large figure grunts and Autumn Sun frowns as she notices that he doesn't sport the scales commonly associated with Wyvern, but rather a large mane of white fur...

Squinting in order to get a broader glimpse of the figure that stands before her, Autumn Sun shrieks as she notices he has the form of a large beast covered in fur, with razor sharp fangs and claws along with exceptionally large feet. Suddenly associating the beast with a picture in a book she had read on urban folklore, the startled applicant's eyes widen and she stutters:

"Y-y-you're the abominable... t-the sno-... b-b-b-big fo-... Sasquatch!"

The Sasquatch jumps upon hearing his name and the beast's face remains expressionless as he quickly glances left and right for an escape route of some sort. Obviously frightened by Autumn Sun's revelation, the giant monster turns to run away as fast as he can but ends up lumbering into a wall due to his large shape and awkward movements. As the beast crashes into the wall, short, repetitive growls begin to be emitted from it's throat and Autumn Sun screams as she suddenly notices that Wyvern's head was stuck inside the monster's jaws!

After screaming like this for a few minutes, the horrified applicant slowly calms down as she begins noticing that things were not quite as they seemed... For one thing, Sasquatch wouldn't appear in the Pen's climate since he was associated with freezing temperatures... Besides, the "repetitive growl" was beginning to sound more and more like a broken tape deck. Autumn Sun's suspicions are quickly answered as a scaly tail suddenly pokes out of the back side of the beast's fur... The jaws of Sasquatch fall limp around Wyvern's supposedly hidden face as the lizard's costume becomes undone...

Ditching his Sasquatch disguise, Wyvern quickly shakes Autumn Sun's hands and whispers a few apologies, swiftly placing a scaly finger on his lips to imply silence. Stamping the applicant's story ACCEPTED, the overgrown lizard hisses:

"Pleassse don't tell anyone about this incident... dressing up as the abominable snowman was the only way I could scare off Melba from the Office for a few days. He's one of her distant relatives, after all..."

Having said this, Wyvern points to a photo depiciting Melba and a number of her relatives, one of which is the abominable snowman...

OOC: An original and ACCEPTED application story, Autumn Sun. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) Be sure to post your e-mail address here or send me a mail at elitwack90@hotmail.com so I can get you some more info...

• 2 weeks later...