The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

I want to re-do my application!

**After reading other applications, mine seems somewhat lacking in character. If the first one is acceptable, then disregard this one...**

It was late in the afternoon, the light waning towards twilight. A slight breeze found its way through a window that was slightly ajar, causing several pieces of paper on the large Registrar's desk to alight elsewhere.

Unnoticed and unannounced, a monarch butterfly entered the room, its wings flashing in molted oranges and blacks. Twisting in the wind, it flew over to where the benches ended, lighting on the nose of one prospective applicant. He blinked in weary surprise, going cross-eyed while trying to blow the butterfly off his nose. He looked quite rediculous. He could almost hear the creature snicker to itself as it ascended, flitting away, heading towards the privies.

A small woman appeared in the archway of the hall, her russet locks tinged with gold tips catching the fading sunlight. Her figure was slim and long, her skin dark as ebony. Dark reddish-orange robes clung to her as she moved quietly to sit alone at a desk in the corner of the room.

From within a fold of her robe, she produced a bit of parchment and a long, cobalt blue quill. With a quick glance around, she set to work. Her small, spidery handwritting soon covered the parchment.

Hazy summer days aglow

Lead to warm summer nights

Breezes sluggish and slow

Stirring the curtains of bedchambers barren

Where did all the lovers go?

Under laughing weeping willows

Through streams and lakes they row

Their course ever unwinding

Reaping what they sow

Escaping responsibility

Enchanted for a night

They gladly give up emptiness

For what they know is right

Leaping over --

The woman stopped, glowering at her empty ink well. "This shall have to do, I suppose.." she mumured quietly to herself. She carefully wiped the tip of the quill off on a piece of soft cloth before tucking it away again. On her way to the large, dissheveled desk, she tossed her empty ink vial into a surprisngly empty waste basket.

She looked at all the piles and sighed quietly to herself. With a good luck kiss upon the parchment, she set it down and, with a slight popping sound, disappeared.

Heh.

Ancient Peredhil gives her a creaky hug.

You can apply to the greedy lizard as many times as you'd like, M'dear....

He cackles as he concludes, But he won't move any faster! :P

(well done! I like them both. :) )

Wyvern snatches Shadow of the Butterfly's application from his desktop, propping his scaly legs onto the vast ocean of paperwork located there and casually looking over the poem while taking short sips of booze from his Endless Decanter... Turning the application sheet over and shaking it a bit, the overgrown lizard mumbles something about a lack of geld donations when he suddenly notices that the sheet has been kissed for good luck, which more than makes up for the previous disappointment. Wiping off his now-bloody nose with a spare, unpaid tax bill, the overgrown lizard notes that the poem shows definite talent as well. Besides... anyone who could make Wyvern look more rediculous then he already was had to have talent...

Humming to the tune of "Banquet Hall Blues" by the ill-fated, Archmage quartet known as the Racoulettes, Wyvern reaches for his Acceptance Stamp and is about to use it on Shadow of the Butterfly's application when an evil thought suddenly occurs to him. This evil thought is accompanied by a string of even-more-evil thoughts, which eventually developes into a tangled web of twisted schemes. Wyvern grins sinisterly, setting his Acceptance Stamp to the side and rubbing his scaly palms together in anticipation...

Signalling to Melba, who was sitting in the opposite corner of the room and was clearly irritated by the sight of the overgrown lizard's villanous smile, Wyvern innocently chimes:

"Melba... could you please fetch Shadow of the Butterfly and bring her back to the Recruiter's Office? There's a thing or two I'd like to discuss with her..."

Melba frowns, unaccustomed to hearing words like "please" from the reptilian Elder... Deeply disturbed by this, the Almost Secretary is about to refuse his demands for the sake of safety when suddenly, a popping sound is heard directly outside the Office door and Shadow of the Butterfly swiftly enters into the room. Rushing up to Wyvern's desk, the eager applicant exclaims:

"What would you like to discuss, Mr. Wyvern? Did you like my application? Is it accepted?!"

Wyvern chuckles softly and hisses:

"Almossst, Shadow, almost... first, I wanted to discuss a few ways you might be able to help me make some profits..."

Shadow of the Butterfly stares blankly and Melba grits her teeth as Wyvern takes out a long list from one of his desk drawers...

"Let's see here..." mumbles the overgrown lizard while grinning broadly "... one option would be for you to act as a beauty product for the Pen's official Shadow, Yui Temai. After all, I'm certain a shadow of a butterfly would look good in her hair... We'd charge you at only the steepest prices, of course..."

"Errrrrr..." starts Shadow of the Butterfly in a mixture of anxiety and anger "... since when am I a product?!"

Noticing this change of tone, Wyvern quickly crosses out the first option from his list and reads off the next one:

"A rich collector of rare butterflies is looking for any distinctive species available... hmmm... it says here "to be nailed in a book," but actually I think that bit's optional..."

Suddenly realizing that both Shadow of the Butterfly and Melba are gazing at him furiously, Wyvern quickly stamps Shadow's application ACCEPTED before being slapped by the applicant for mentioning nailed butterflies and clobbered by Melba by means of the Anti-Wyvern Mallet...

;-)

OOC: On a more serious note, an ACCEPTED application Shadow of the Butterfly, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) Both of your application poems were well written and acceptable... I chose to respond to this one simply because of the additional butterfly elements. Apologies for the long wait in receiving a response, and welcome once again! :) By the way, out of curiousity... is that a Masakazu Katsura pic in your sig?

With a quick grin overcoming the looming thunderclouds on her countenance, Shadow of the Butterfly bows politely before the languid lizard.

"Thank you for accepting me, darlin'." She chuckles softly as she turns to go. "Oh, and by the by... I might just consider that butterfly book... without the nails."

A small burst of light shimmers in the air, replacing the fiery draped figure there moments before, leaving our plotting lizard with his mouth open in surprise.

OOC: I've no idea the character that was in my signature... it appears, however, that the picture is no longer available.. least, not on my computer. I shall see what I can do about rediscovering it.

Thank you for accepting me, Wyvern.