The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Explanation of a few things in D&D 3rd

OOC: There is some little thing I would like to inform you all of. I have noticed that a lot of the people who are in my campaign are a little more than just modest about their ability scores. I saw a 6 for his Charisma! I could not express how much I appreciate all of you creating very mortal characters, but I have a bit of a problem. You see, I have this infatuation with demons and other things that can rip people apart. To be honest, I don't want to lose any of you in the first fight. Elwen, who is so graciously usually around me somewhere (usually the other way around though) has participated in one or two of my campaigns here at my scholl to recognize that stats need to be pretty high to survive. (I'm never giving her a Wand of Ice Strom again though... >*_*<) As a 2nd edition person myself, or at least one with experience in that game, I know good stats are quite hard to come by, and there is a great deal of restrictions on the classes. It's nearly impossible to become a paladin for one! It's not easy to play 2nd... at least with the character you really want. In third edition, there are no limits as to what class you can be, even paladin. i'm not suggesting that you all change your classes now, but I would like to see some form of power out there so you all don't have your intestines absorbed by a wight in the first couple of fights. For example, Shianna Yvette, the new character, has the folllowing ability scores.

Str: 9 (-1 mod/base score)

Dex: 18 (+4 mod/ 16 base score and +2 from Gaunt Deformity Feat)

Con: 11 (+0 mod/ 13 base score and -2 from Gaunt Deformity Feat)

Int: 18 (+4 mod/base score)

Wis: 15 (+2 mod/ 14 base score and +1 from 4th level)

Cha: 17 (+3 mod/ 13 base score and +1 from 8th and 12th level)

OOC: This is essentially how characters should start out. I usually give everyone at least one 18 if they choose to use it for their prime ability score. These would be...

Barbarian: Str

Bard: Cha

Cleric: Wis

Druid: Wis

Fighter: Str

Monk: Wis

Paladin: Str (Crusader-kill-evil) or Cha (Heal-destroyzombie)

Ranger: Dex

Rogue (Thief): Dex

Sorcerer: Cha

Wizard: Int

Other ablility scores should be somewhat generous. I decided 9 for Shianna's strength because she's a wizard and would not be doing much fighting. Everyone has a flaw, and someone who is intentionally anorexic and very, very, thin does not have a lot of muscle. Harmon, on the other hand is evidently full of muscle, as he so says. The primary ability does not have to be an 18, it's just a small generous gift. You might think Yeah, but I'd rather play someone who knows how to die! Well, I'm not telling you to change what you have, I'm just saying you wqould live a little bit longer if you weren't so modest. I play a very powerful campaign, and even the first fight will put you through hell. (and eventually, you'll actually be going there!) I don't think someone with a Charisma of 6 wants to try negotiations. I'll set 8 as the minimum, just for those of you who really do prefer to play something that can die... I hope this is understandable.

OOC: I suppose I should say something about mods. You know 18 (mod +4)... Well, mods are for my reference mainly, but they are not additions to the ability. For example, someone using a longsword with a strength of 16 (mod +3) would deal 1d8+strength Mod Damage. thus giving the longsword a damage area of 4 thru 11. Your Dex mod is added to your AC. For those of you familiar with the classic term thac0 (to hit armor class 0), the opposite is used in thrid edition. To hit an AC of 20, you need to roll a twenty. In the past, an AC of -1 was grand. No goblin could possibly harm you. now... that AC would mean that the lowliest sloth could probably hit you. AC is reversed in third.

OOC: Feats... feats are not something you walk on. These are special talents that a person/ other race has that enables them to perform extraordinary... feats of accomplishment. For example... the feat Precise Shot is a feat that enables you to shoot more accurately into melee combat. When you normally shoot into someone elses melee, you end up with a -4 penalty to your attack because you have a chance of hitting the other person. With the feat Precise Shot, you are so well attuned to the weapon and your aim, that you do not suffer that penalty. (Though, if you miss, you still would have to roll to see if you hit your comrade...)

OOC: Well, I think that should do it. I have no problem paraphrasing the entire book, so if anybody has questions about the game, then let me know. I'll do my best to help out. I may be dealign with the mechanics of the game, but you all might still have some questions... ta ta...

On an ooc note, I'll be out of town Tues and Wed ( April 29th & 30th) night, so won't be viewing or posting on the boards. Just so you know in case interraction takes place and I'm needed. I would hate to be put in a situation where my absence holds up the rpg. :0)

~Salinye :butterfly:

I don't think someone with a Charisma of 6 wants to try negotiations.

Well, I don't think anyone'd want Harmon conducting negotiations no matter what his charisma is. :P And yes, that was me who rolled that mind-blowingly horrible stat. Harmon also got a 6 in intelligence, in case anyone was wondering...

Anyway, I'll upgrade my scores to survival-level. It'd be a shame if the group's walking meat-shield got killed in the first encounter. :skull:

*smirks back...* That's only because it was you, and I regretted it when you killed that stupid hydra... I would have felt too guilty to spoil your fun though. Good times though... *blinks* Oh, a reply to this thing I must write!

Ah, Salinye/Senora... well, I don't think it should put too much of a damper on our little escapade, as many of us wait for others as it is, and I am still awaiting the dear Enos to make his post... as well as a good number of other people. BPO, Archaneus, you know, those people. So, we shouldn't be held up too much, if any at all. *ponders* I really hope i said that right...

Well, just in case nobody read that far, as I tend to even bore myself after a while, if anybody has any questioons about game mechanics... or whatever else...-ish... let me know. By the way, I am not exactly a terribly wealthy person, so I am a little short on all of the book supplements. There are some feats (Harmon) that I do not know anything about. If you find something online, or you have a book that I don't, let me know what it says so I can use it for reference. If you get it online, then just give me the address. I spend a little time on the computer away from you jolly folks, so I could check it out. This is my first real shot at being something of a DM (since I'm no good in reality), and I am enjoying this. I'll devote whatever time i need to to making this successful. Thanks for not running away, and I still hope to see you in many adventures to come... I hope that didn't sound crappy...

Oh, another note. I have noticed something that has become of interest to me. I don't know how many of you know that I play high powered campaigns, but I do. I grow tired of the same drab goblin beating on a caravan with us glomping onto them from an ambush somewhere... I was wondering if any of you would like a promotion before the fighting starts? Say, level ten? It would add one additional point to one of your ability scores, give you one other feat, and provide one or two magic items that are a little more powerful than a +1 ring of protection Besides, I'd love to be able to describe some of those new-fangled magic spells that a few people would have access to... and i'd like to get something powerful enough to fight you. The druids I was talking about... I'd like to... empower them somewhat. Last time I designed a fight (stupid wand...) it was very weak, and people destroyed them easily... (stupid wand) Since ten is in the middle, I can pretty much throw anything but a tarrasque at you, and you have something of a chance of living through it... It's a vote, so majority wins... I'm indifferent, and since there are seven of you... Well? I'll see you in a bit...

Well, as you may or may not know, druids are always neutral. They do not necessarily care whos side they are on, so long as their forewst remains unharmed. Though you may be one who reveres one of the same deities they do, you still dwell in the city and spend at lewast some of your time killing the animals that threaten you. I mean, are you going to die just because you wouldn't kill a bear who is trying to tear your head off with its teeth? I don't think so. Since you also do some of the stuff that has to do with the modernization, and you are still invading their forest, you are a potential threat. Being neutral, you might be able to negotiate with them, but I wouldn't suggest doing that if Iriador or someone else decides to launch fireballs around. There are a lot of spellcasters here. Just to clarify the current mission, they are allied with a hermit who commands an army of squirrels... the hermit has been there for a very long time and has never disrespected the land. He tricked the druids into making them believe that you were enemies, and that you had come to destroy the forest. He's not stupid, he knows you are coming, Damon just... conveniently left that part out. But, they are allied with him, but their not opposed to dealing with the threat thorugh negotiations either... We'll see what happens... *sighs* if we ever get there.

*nods in agreement* Hai, ashke. Level 10 sounds fine. *smirks again* And that is why, in my campaign, I made a little rule concerning wands and such. If you don't have the level to cast the spell, then you don't get the wand/scroll/whatever. :)

Sure, Level 10 sounds great. Although, you do realize that Harmon's ego will grow in proportion to his level right? :D Anything that makes the quest more interesting (and having all manner of creature thrown at us would definately be interesting).

*clears throat* Ahem... this may take a small amount of time to write...

Well, it seems that so far we have three votes out of seven, seemingly in favor of upping the level. In that case, I might have ti increase a little bit of power in other places as well. *smiles* I am really enjoying this, but there is still the concern of needing one more vote for this. So, if anyone should get around to it, I need to know what I am doing.

As itoshii Elwen posted, we are going to have to deal with Harmon's ego with a little displeasure. (j/k) But, it just gives him a little more rights to that whole "I could kick the crap out of all of you if you didn't thave those damn spells. Fight me one on one, and we'll seewhat happens." concept. considering almost everyone in the party is a spell caster, especially the new person Shianna. Damon, thankfully is not. *notes how long it took to write a spellbook and frowns* Spellcasters are not easy when they are wizards... But any other spellcaster gets their spells the cheap way, and they don't have to study so hard. Sorcerers just come with it as a package, clerics and paladins just get permission to use them, druids and rangers draw from Nature, and bards just have to throw a note or two out there. IMO... wizards are the only ones who actually have to work for them, but they get more power... *blinks* Sorry about that, it's a little ranting...

Oh, my dear Harmon. I should have you know that your low Charisma score is not just for negotiations. Your... penalty for it... it's also what the Intimidate skill is based off of, as well as the Gather Information skill. So, you're not exactly intimidating, but should you quest long enough, I'll help you remedy that. But, you are not going to raise 'dem scurs over yonder no more. *blinks again* Um... forgive me, I am in a different mood. I think it's my stomach that has me confused...

Um... also Harmon, broadsword is not exactly in the equipment list, so would you agree to a bastard sword? I think they are the same thing, just different names.

=stares blankly at the neko/hamster boy known to her as Scott= I'd say something witty here, if I had any idea what the hell you're talking about...

Bah....I'll never get the hang of this points thing...gack...math isn't my thing...nothing is, come to think of it O_O; Except for coming up with nicknames for all my friends...

Well, folks! There you have it! I certainly hope no one is unhappy, as I hate to make my players unhappy, but all of you are just being imbued with... *drumroll* TENTH LEVEL!!! Um... I actually have to go catch my bus back to school in a minute, so I'll catch you all in about half of an hour.

By the way, Harmon/Kasmandre... when it is being read in words, it is difficult to tell whether a person is reluctant or not in choosing something. So, just as a precaution in case you were reluctant in making yon weapon decision, are you absolutely sure. You'd have to take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword) feat in order to be proficient with it.

Oh, and the feats... I couldn't find the ones you had, but I do have a list that I will be posting in due time. Some of the ones from online, all of the ones from the Book of Vile Darkness and the Player's Handbook, and even some of my own.

In about two weeks, I will also have my own prestige classes posted, as well as the ones found in the DM Guide, and the BoVD. I'll see you all later...

*thinks to self* Man... I really need to sort all of this stuff out...

Yes, that is my final answer (too bad this joke's about a year past being topical, oh well...). In other words, I'm sure that I want a bastard sword and I'm definately going to want the exotic weapon proficency (bs) feat to go with it. So that's one down...about twenty or so feats to go :P .

I'm awaiting your uber-list of feats with bated breath...hmm, maybe I should brush my teeth...