The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Time so does pass for us busy folk

Ah, comrade, 'tis been a time since I last spoke with thee. I must note my apologies, as I still find time difficult to locate with the despair of having to attend school. I have recieved an e-mail message from your lordship, but I know not how to rise above the mere status of honored guest. While I am content being a member of the gloomy corner group, as I prefer my solitude with my so-called-sonnets inspired by my dearly beloved, I might hope that one day I could join the rest of the happy crew and play my part as a pawn in your fantasy world. So here I bring to you another application, hoping that one day, when you find yourself taking a great gasp of air from the ocean of razor-edged paperwork and the blood that has resulted in your daring escapade into that sea, I too can join the ranks as part of your merry crew. I have no title for this particular work, but I have decided to make my titles as the first lines are, much like a long time idol of mine... Emily Dickinson.

'Tis time for me to state my purpose here,

Wandering in a boat, the leader so near.

Long hair flows as the wind catches the sail,

My application being writ, and not sent in the mail.

A simple poem and hope to join,

A possible bribe with gold coin.

Wishful eyes tearing in the wind,

The heavy gales hold my shirt pinned.

A pen flies out and over the boat,

A fish like that I never saw, one to write a note.

One more paper falls out of the sky,

Drifting with the wind, passing me by.

Another application is sent before mine,

I'm writing too slow, and falling behind.

I hurredly scribble, my paper catching fire,

The spring leaps from my pen, an uncoiled wire.

I cannot write anymore, my ink has been spent,

So I give this to you now, my application sent.

I certainly hope that it is worthy of your approval, overseer of the cyberspace domain, despite the lack of lengthy sentences found in the end rhymes of my particular work of random poetry. I await a response, but I hold you to no rush. Life in general can be a little annoying, and I would not want to take you from the incessant ramblings of the everyday commonfolk just to spend your precious time on but one of a thousand applications. I exit your dwelling now, and leave you to the cascading current of paper you were recently swallowed in.

(As an off-note, I was reading one of your topics a few minutes ago where you were diving into paper, which is where I got the idea for my poem. Thanks for the inspiration.)

• 2 weeks later...

Standing in the middle of the Recruiter's Office, Damon Inferel patiently watches the large ocean of papers located next to Wyvern's desk, taking note of even the slightest movement present within their depths in the hopes of seeing the overgrown lizard emerge. Damon's eyes dart towards a squirt of ink that exits from a rather messy paper cluster near the rear end of the office, and quickly turn to their right in time to see a small eraser in the shape of a dolphin hop out of the paper clusters. Carefully eyeing a spot on the ocean of papers that seemed to be twitching more than it's surroundings, Damon Inferel grins and grabs a fishing rod that lays next to Wyvern's desk. Attaching her application to the end of the fishing line along with a single geld piece as bait, the eager applicant tosses the line out towards the twitching area of the paperwork ocean... It's only a matter of seconds before Damon gets a pull on her line, and happily pulls the reptilian Elder of Initiates out of the paperwork depths...

Brushing off several pieces of scrap paper from his scaly form and removing his sanity snorkle, Wyvern smiles towards Damon and hisses:

"Thanksss! I was a bit stuck over there, the textbook coral rocks had gotten rather jagged. Glad to see you've decided to apply, Damon, lemme see your application..."

Damon Inferel giggles to herself a moment before pointing towards Wyvern's face and responding:

"It's in your mouth..."

Upon hearing this, Wyvern opens his mouth and pulls out Damon's application poem from it, having forgotten that she had used it as bait. Grinning and nodding towards the eager applicant, the overgrown lizard reads the application over a few times and notices something at the top of the application sheet that causes him to break into an evil grin and malicious giggles. Damon notices this change in Wyv's reactions, and in a worried voice asks:

"What's the matter, Mr. Wyvern?"

The overgrown lizard turns to her, trying to keep as straight a face as possible, and flatly responds:

"I notice you mentioned that Emily Dickenson is one of your long time idols... Well, I'm certain you'll like it here at the Pen, as Ms. Dickenson is a frequent contributer!"

Damon's eyes widen and she stutters:

"B-but... that's not possi-"

"APRIL FOOOOOOL'S!" interrupts Wyvern gleefully, pointing towards the date listed at the top of the application and letting out an almost-dragonic laugh that echoes through the otherwise silent Office. Once the sinister lizard notices that no one else is laughing, he suddenly realizes the mistake he had made... Damon had posted her application on April 1rst, but Wyv had taken over a week to respond, meaning that the laws of April Fool's Day no longer applied. Grumbeling to himself and trying to think of an excuse to make the joke funny, Wyvern stutters:

"Th-the confusion of dates... i-it's supposed to be part of the joke! Yeah, that's it!"

"..."

Sighing to himself in the realization that his would-be April Fool's prank had failed miserably, Wyvern stamps Damon Inferel's application "ACCEPTED" before grasping the nearest "Anti-Wyvern" mallet and bonking himself over the head with it a few times. After all, that always inspired a laugh or two... ;p

OOC: An ACCEPTED application, Damon Inferel, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) My apologies for the long tardiness in accepting this application, the steel grasp of RL is once again to blame. Be sure to either post your e-mail address here or send me another mail at elitwack90@hotmail.com so that I can get you some additional Pen info. Once again, welcome!

"Her"?

(Tzimfemme squints at the chibi-Vincent avatar, trying to remember which board she'd seen that one upon. . .all the shounen-ai starts to blend together after time and distance.)

Wyvern! No sparklies and no gasp equals no female!

"Hallo Miss?"

"Wot? 'Oo you callin' Miss?"

"I'm sorry, I have a cold."

(taken from Monty Python's Flying Circus, the Pet Shop sketch.)

Hugs Damon welcome.

Heh, Emily Dickinson! Good job. I wish we HAD had time to get together and RP sometime! (If the person behind the words is the one I think he is...) The fault was my busy schedule. :(

Just ask Wyvern!