The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Crow's Investigation

Nyyark

“I’d love some Ice cream Rune. I can do magic too.” Whynasin waved his hand in a circle and A butterfly fluttered out of his hand. He stared to chase it around the room laughing. Spinning his hands in the air and making more butterflies appear.

None of the grown ups seemed to care about the game so Whynasin stopped for awhile. “ Do you like music Rune?. I can make some for us, lets play? Whynasin fell back landing on the ground. Well he stopped short of the ground and landed on a bed of air. He sat up in it and rocked back and forth. “ Rune wana rock on my swing?”

Rune ignores the little elf-child, gaze transfixed on the skull. As a matter-of-fact, everyone (except Aft) was focused on the skull. Impatient with being ignored, Aft addresses Rune again, "How did you do that?"

"Do what!?!" Rune asks, more than a little frustrated from being asked again.

"How did you turn the skull black?" Asks Aft.

"I didn't! I just told it to reveal." She says, looking again at the skull.

From the back of the room, an Ancient eavesdropper shouts, "Sounds like a defense mechanism to me!” This gets the whole peanut gallery started.

"I'll bet it was a trap!"

"A trap eh? It could've blown us all!"

"Not me. I still have my magic barriers up from my good old days on Terra."

"You too? Those were the days. I'll tell you I once had an army of Zombies..."

"Hey speaking of loser armies, y'all remember DEADMAGE?"

The voices blend as the rabble quickly turns away from the skull and returns to Archmage memories. Unable to hold back any longer, Rune picks the skull up. It was still the same skull, just a little crisped. She was about to put it down when Fountain gasps out,

"It’s leaking!"

Everyone turns to stare at him. He has a glazed look over his eyes.

"What do you mean, ‘That’s nothing compared to what’s inside’, its leaking dreams Bally"

Rune flips the skull over and drops it. Inside the skull was covered in glowing blue script. As the skull hits the ground it shatters. Fountain covers his ears and screams, falling to his knees.

Everyone one rushes to him. He slowly stands.

"It-it broke." Fountain says in a shaky voice. "A mind broke. The skull was part of a shaping of a mind, and it broke." He stops for a bit with pain in his eyes, and then continues. "It must of hurt itself to hide from Rune, because I could feel it bleeding. Now it's broken. They're all bleeding."

"Who's bleeding?" Asks Zariah. “What’s bleeding?”

"The other skulls. I can feel them bleeding away dreams," replies Fountain.

Fountain looks dizzy again and Zariah helps him to the ground. As he is lying there, the others furiously try to think of what to do. After about an timeless moment, inspiration hits.

"Oh oh oh! I know how we can get the other skulls!" exclaims Rune. "I write a smaller Pen Keep on the back of the big birdy's scroll, then Fountain can point to where the other skulls are bleeding from.”

She smiles, smug with her problem solving genius. Seeming their only lead Crow hurries and gets the scroll for Rune. Rune, on the spot, frowns and chews her tongue as she works out the spelling for Bankwet Hall, Cabaray, and Generoom.

Rune mutters a few words and a magic black crayon pops into existence. Rune takes it and traces The Keep confidently, muttering a few magic words to cover any lapses in memory. Finally pleased with her work she takes it to Fountain and asks him to point to the skulls. The three places he touches glow red: The Quarters of Rahsash, Gwaihir's Wiggly Cabbage Garden, and the Library.

Zariah, intrigued with this magic, stares at Fountain in awe. 'He is really special' she thinks. Zariah gathers all her concentration and determination and decides to lead the group to the first of the three rooms.

She boldly declares, "All right. It's time to advance, as it seems we have little time to spare before another innocent life is destroyed. Let us proceed to explore the

The Quarters of Rahsash. Perhaps there, we may find a helpful piece of evidence or even a clue to the villain.”

Everyone begins to gather their belongings.

Rune, being the most helpful so far, says, “Oh! Oh!… we could leave a note so if anyone comes they can find us, then we may have more help!”

Zariah responds, “That is an excellent idea! What do you think Crow?”

“Kaaw cahh cah kaw!”

“Yes, I do see your point, but if this villain returns and sees our note he may either come for us or flee from the Pen entirely. I am sure we can out take this evil being. My determination alone could face killer and I am set on avenging my fellow brothers.”

“ Kaw cah kaw kah kah.”

“We disagree I see. Well, let’s vote. Who wishes to leave a note telling of our future location in case more wish to join in solving the mystery? Who wishes to leave immediately and leave no evidence that we were here?” Zariah gazes toward the group, but glazed are her eyes. Her mind is wandering to her past. A memory of her younger years, where she felt safe and comforted by her family and friends. At once she jolts back toward the present and is surprised to see a show of eager faces ready to share their view.

OOC: Sorry for being gone so long. Thanks for keeping me in the story!

Elwen's gentle face is grave. "Leaving a note would betray our location. However, if the killer is magically talented, they will be able to scry us out. Unless..." slowly, she removes the harp from her back, playing a few chords. Her sweet soprano rings out in a swift song, a spellsong designed to block all scrying.

Rune boggles at the flaw in her perfect logic. "Now why didnt I think of that?" she asks herself, then shrugs when herself does not respond.

"Maybe it wouldnt be a good idea to leave a note. I mean we arnt leaving the keep at this point and a trail could be a deadly thing. How bout we tell someone where we are going so that if someone we can trust is looking for us they can inform them. Mabye Zool?" She added, glancing at the nearest picture frame which showed Peredhil clad in a yellow pair of swim trunks and holding an umbrella. She giggled at the picture and then turned back to the crowd.

"But another investigator for the scene of the crime." states the ebon-haired half-demon as he strides into the room, a blank look glazing over his reddish-brown eyes.

"I know not as to what may have been committed here, but I can assure you I can be of any assistance you may need me for." There is a brief flicker of his gaze as it floats from the vinyl(spelling?) lounge chair to Elwen, a small sense of recognition hidden behind a dark stare. Within less than a second however, his eyes fall back onto the chair, the object of his comfort soon to be.

Hn. I have seen this person before, but at this very moment, I cannot place her. I have not seen her here, as my presence is a new one, but in the past... The thought floats slowly through his mind, as if certain he is correct in his instances, but yet unsure at the same moment.

With a lengthy stretch to shift the long day from his tired mind to elsewhere away from him, he sits up, proceeds to stand up, and walks calmly over towards Elwen, keeping in mind that if he is wrong, he will look like a complete fool... "Excuse me, miss? I believe I have seen you before. Not here, but at another place. Could you possibly be able to assist me in confirming that?"

Nyyark's crow sounds off in it's usual fashion somewhere along the window sill. A foreign tongue, but it too seems almost understandable. Perhaps with some practice...

"An old... friend?" The demon replies, confused at how he could be friends with those he did not know. She may be familiar, but... wouldn't one recognize his own friends? There was something more, but it seemed just barely out of reach, the grasping palm in his mind struggling to hold on to a fact too slippery to contain.

"Something more..." Damon says aloud, thinking to himself, and he quickly realizes he has just spoken something that might have been better off not said.

A quick flash of his hand behind his head and nervous laughter follow loudly his spoken thoughts, the attention his smoldering eyes held, now lost into Rune, the small demon playing with a strange elf-child. She seemed sad when she spoke that. he thinks to himself, the painful look in her eyes not fading easily from his thoughts.

"Rune?" Something more of a nervous whisper escapes his lips this time.

"Yes? I don't know you... how do you know me? A spy!" she shrieks, suddenly alarmed and confused, her tiny finger drawing pink dust in the air... And producing a small rain of kittens. They land softly on the ground and scamper off in various directions, two tabbys bumping heads together. "That's new..." She says softly to herself before glaring back at the demon before her.

"You needn't worry little demon. You will learn in time how to identify others like yourself as well. You and I are the same kind of person... if you wish to call it that." A small smile escapes, and the ebon-haired demon laughs. "You still have a lot to learn. If you'd like... I can teach you a thing or two." Perhaps I can make a friend or two after all... I wish I remembered who my old ones were.

At that thought, his gaze turns back to Elwen. "Please forgive my earlier comment. I do not believe in keeping secrets, so I shall tell you what I was pondering. You do indeed seem familiar, and I am strangely uncomfortable when you seem saddened. A friend I might be able to believe, but I have this notion there is something else... I ask of you... who are you?"

Nobody of importance. Both her and the demon you find so adoringly childish are insignificant. You may take care of your business here, but you still have other matters to attend to. Be thankful I give you this reprieve. Now, make haste with your trivial investigation. Both your time and mine draw nigh to its end. The voice holding his mind captive booms at him in a manipulative demeanor.

A glaze washes over Damon's eyes for a brief second, and all he had recently asked... every previous thought... is erased, his investigation the only trace of memory left. "So, I inquire again. What is the situation, and when are we going to get around to it?"

From his mind, Elwen is gone.

(OOC: sorry that I'm bringing in another character, but he won't be in the RP for long.)

Elwen bows her head, long dark hair falling to cover her face. As she turns her face away, the single glint of a crystal tear shines in the light, clinging to long eyelashes.

A small blond Elf enters the room just then, and rushes to the harper's side. Despite the difference in their coloring and height, it is obvious that they are twins, since their features are so alike.

"Chiya?" he asks gently, pain in his bright blue-green eyes. "Why are you crying?"

Elwen remains silent, and when she speaks, it is in an eerily calm alto voice, that doesn't answer his question.

"Why are you here, Aural?"

"Roselyn sent me." Aural says, handing his twin several vials filled with a strange potion. "With more of these." Elwen takes them without a word, turns, and leaves the room, probably headed to the Quarters of Rahsash. A frown crosses Aural’s face, and he turns to regard Damon. His eyes darken, and in several quick, light steps he crosses the room to grab the taller half-demon by the collar, pick him up, and slam him against the wall with a strength that belies his diminutive frame. “What have you done to my sister, Inferel?! Elwen doesn’t cry, and she did!”

The elf’s eyes narrow even further, and glow with a strange, intense light. When he speaks next, his tenor is backed by a supernatural force, the echo of his powerful psionic powers, abilities that rival an Adept mage’s in pure strength: he is speaking both out loud and telepathically, placing a binding “spell” on the other man, so there is /no/ possible way he can forget. “Damon Inferel, you will hear my words and /never forget/ them.” Aural says darkly. “My sister almost died for you once already. If she dies because of you this time, then I /will/ kill you.”

The psychic drops the half-demon to the floor and turns to Zariah. “Elwen has gone to the Quarters of Rahsash, presumably to investigate what lies within-she told me through telepathy, the gift we share. I would stay and investigate the death of the crows with you-“ The black shape of a female crow drifts downward and arranges herself on his shoulder. “But I have other duties to fulfill for now. I will see you again.”

Without another word, Aural turns and runs out the door.

IC

Through his mind ran images of eons slipping by, He saw worlds and universes born and die in a blink. Life had taken many forms, and many wonders had it produced. But he was alone in the abysses of time and space. He could create entire universes full of creatures for him but to no avail. All he felt was the pain of separation.

Whynasin, the traveler the wonderer of time, phased from plane to plane gazing out at eternity. He witnessed time wind to a halt and speed up again. He waged mighty battles and let his consciousness float on driven by forces outside himself, till he tired and moved on. Love he could not know, only the pain of eternity.

Whynasin’s mind wandered as he twirled around playing games in his corporal form.

Whynasin felt the air around him change. He felt power enter and leave. As the events assed he played singing tunes of old’ tunes he figured none here would know. Tears slowly creped out onto his face and he stopped playing. He went over to a corner and sat down. As his tears streamed down his face the became specs of shining light. Splashing on the ground and fading away. He hoped no on noticed. Whynasin thought of releasing his essence into the ether, letting it drift in a thousand billion trillion directions to the nothings of space and everything’s of life. His last adventure left to him was death something outside his grasp.

A curious expression makes its way across the still watering eyes from Aurel's attack. Um... what was that all about? His gaze fleets between all of the females in the room, wondering who this 'sister' could be. He scans across twice before settling his eyes on... Rune.

Excuse me Rune... *How do I know her name?* Do you have a sister, or a brother? Namely that oddly violent man who shoved me into a wall? *No, it's not her...*

He looks around once more, suddenly recalling that he had given potions to the elven girl. *Where is she?* Rune? Forget what I just asked you. Where did that girl go?

"Um... that way." The small demon's tiny finger pointed in the direction the 'sister' in question had fled.

Thank you. With a brief wave Damon heads in the same direction, pursuing the person of whom he was believed to have wronged. I am sorry detectives, but I have a slight manner to attend to. When you are ready to depart for the investigation... please call for me. Rune can do that with her mind, being kin.

As Damon strides through the doorway, he shuts it behind him, tracing a glyph in the air and melding the wooden frame with the surrounding wall, making certain nobody can follow him. Whoever you are, I wish to speak with you. How have I wronged you?! I do not even know you!

What are you doing?! You have this break, and this break alone to do as you please, and you continue to doddle. If you do not get back on your appointed task, I will fry your memories as opposed to erasing them. The malevolent spirit housed hidden within Damon's mind laughs a little, a horrid sound of lunacy, and grins. No, I will give you your freedom to find this girl. As the moment comes when you discover what you wish to know, I will let you revel in whatever emotions she might stir within you, and then you will die. I can possess anyone I want, and that makes you expedable. You have your freedom, but it is a choice of which you choose. Find this person and learn about them, or finish your investigation nd get along with my plans. Choose. Now!

A thoughtful expression crosses his face, shrouded by his collar as he looks down. *Is this person who owns a strange presence within me worth dying for?* Yes! Whoever you are! Where are you?!

Elwen stands in the center of the room, singing, and her song resonates with sheer power, a spell to investigate what has happened here. However, Damon's entrance and subsequent spell startles her enough that she loses the spell. She turns and looks sadly at him.

"You truly do not remember, do you?" she asked.

Rune blinked several times.

“You guys sure are a funny lot” She said out loud. “I mean we have been standing here for what feels like days and some of you keep forgetting who you are and where your going and..” Her voice trails off as her eyes go in circles and she topples over. “Oi, confused myself” she says, patting her head and rubbing her belly.

Suddenly an unpleasant look fell on her face.

“I don’t feel so good.” She said, a slight unhealthy smirk appeared on her lips.

“I.. I need to go.” With a turn she started to scribble something in the air when suddenly she was interrupted by a loud “hiccup.” A huge musical note fell onto the floor.

“Oops, I meant to spell phone.. guess this tone will have to do”

She handed it to the nearest person.

“Use this to call that fellow when you all are ready to leave” she replied. “Just rub it a few times and it will send a prerecorded message to him to let him know you all are going.”

Suddenly her face turned green and she ran out of the room. “I knew I shouldn’t have eaten that entire bag of gummis” was all you could hear as she disappeared around the corner.

“Good luck on your journey!” was the final statement that rang through the minds of all present.

"Um... you'll have to forgive me miss... I do not, but you seem so familiar. I... can't forget you like I do everything else. I barely remember who I am, and every time I do remember, I forget again... I don't know why though. I know two things... that I have decided to figure out who you are and why you seem so... stalwart in familiarity. Seciondly, I know I am to die afterwards. Despite that, I must know who you are before I can assist with the investigation... I certainly hope you are not someone who is attached to me in some way, as I am hoping my death will not hamr anyone... physically or mentally." The demon looks confused, but as he detects a trace of sadness in the elf's eyes, he too gathers an amount of sadness. This confuses him. "Why are you sad anyway? I have done nothing to you that I can recall..." As if awaiting an answer, he pushes back this strange emotion and awaits her reply...

• 2 weeks later...

Whynasin felt his self fade into the ether while his body remained sleeping in a corner of the room.. The world around him faded and he fell into a living dream. To his mind came the thoughts of the past of the present and the future. He saw him self engulfed by the universe wrapped up in it’s illusion of chaos. He could see into the minds of all who had ever lived and where to live in days to come, yet he could see nothing and he stood at the precipices of eternity unblinkingly pondering a moment. What he found was his thoughts reflected to him at the void in which he stared at. All was calm all was chaos. In this living dream Whynasin slept, on the invisible swing in the corner.

Edited by whynotsin

OOC: You know, I've noticed something here... and I suppose it could be considered my fault due to my character's amnesia. Ever since my arrival we have all digressed into something different, and I am beginning to wonder if we will ever actually continue the investigation. Though I do place most of the blame on my presence, I have also noted that the time between posts on this topic are far and few between. I would certainly post more often, but I have nothing to respond to. (please do not take offense to that...) I personally find this thread to be quite enjoyable, and I love the characters portrayed here, but I find I do not often come here because it usually says 'Last post by: Damon Inferel.' I mean no offense to anyone, but do you think we might actually take up our positions once again. I have found that running my campaign may be a little difficult, but I have more than enough time for everyone here. I apologize for posting my out of character comments here, but I figured it should be known... Forgive me.