The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Application.

Guest Neo Madeen

Guest Neo Madeen

Kokuryuu Flameshifter

Viewer

(12/16/02 1:44:41 pm)

Reply Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have much on the computer... But I suppose I can just give a few examples of my writing, which I believe isn't very good.

This first one is the beginning of a Lord of the Rings fanfiction:

The mist subsided and a band of riders moved through the seemingly empty ghost town of Carrion- Dúm. The riders knew better though as they searched for the entrance, for the true city was underground. They also had the knowledge of where to utter the incantation so that the secret gate would reveal itself. Reveal it did! For when the right words were spoke in the correct order, undisturbed earth would open itself into a gaping mouth. Thus, it unleashed flame and an unwieldy staircase. Clods of dirt fell down on the seemingly endless hole. None-the-less, the riders descended leaving their mounts in the deserted village. Down and down they went tirelessly. Loud cheering and merry-making could be heard in the depths beneath them. The four companions descended still farther into the earth’s interior until they reached the threshold of a great city, the true city of Carrion-Dúm.

This was the city of the Dark elves, a race of elves that were not known to many. They spent almost all their time in underground cities, rarely sending out a merchant to do business with the outside world. Their city was protected first by the consuming mist around it. If a lucky traveler actually found their way through the thick and ever changing mist, they would only stumble upon the deserted topsoil town. By now, any wary traveler would just try to find his way out of the place instead of looking further. Even so, they wouldn’t ever get into the city unless they’d once dwelled there for the password incantation would change yearly. Being that they were practically cut off from the world and lived so long in almost complete darkness, these elves became different. Their skin was not golden from the sun but rather pale while their eyes and hair were dark. They mined for a living like dwarves and rarely went out to sell profits. It was once told in the lore of old that a boy who was quite obviously different from the others would one-day rise up and save the empire of Dark elves. Carrion-Dúm was not the only city of its kind; they were hidden all around Middle-Earth! There was one near Mirkwood and one near Minas Tirith to name a few. There had even been talk of a tiny Dark elven community in Mordor. It was believed that a dark Sorceress lived here and burned her enemies with hell-fire if they ever stepped foot on her land. It was only now that any threat was ever placed on Carrion-Dúm.

No one could be spotted in the streets save a stray cur roaming for food. Deep into the cavern, bright lights could be seen glowing through high windows of a great castle. They walked towards it, holding their hooded heads high. They came to the wooden doors and one rider reached out and knocked on the oak door with a slender and fair hand.

“Who is it?” called a raspy voice.

“Why should you have to ask? Has your Lord not told you of my arrival?” The clear melodious voice made the doorman gasp.

“Forgive me your Excellency, I did not recognize your beauty and grace under such garments,” he apologized in haste. He opened the door and bowed so deeply that the tips of his scraggly hair brushed against the ground. The female held her head even higher when striding by and not once did she avert her gentle eyes towards this “commoner.”

They trekked along the winding corridors that made up the castle until they reached the great hall of feasting. The band entered and the hooded beauty unveiled herself. Silence fell like rain over the chattering crowds as they all stared at her infinite charm and grace.

“Well, well! A party and yet I was not invited dear brother?” A cold smile spread across her face and the other three companions unveiled their dark-haired heads. They were men of fair faces as well. Though the men’s stern expressions masked their true amusement, their leader laughed aloud. “And what may this joyous event be held for?” She strode forward and the crowds parted and made them a winding but suitable pathway. They proceeded along through the sinuous walkway until their leader was standing a few feet from whom she spoke. “So dear brother, you have not answered!” The grim smile faded a bit and here voice rose during this statement. Alas, it came back and spread coolly across her face, grim as ever.

“Sister…” a voice stammered. The throng of elves edged away from the high seat in the back of the room. There sat a sturdy elf man, his face was red and his eyes were wide at her sight. He wore a crown embossed with jewels of a reddish color. It sat upon his thick mass of dark brown/black hair and his brown eyes darted from face to face of the newcomers. He then straightened up and continued, “Why have you come here? I did not invite you!”

~~This next one is just a piece of a DragonLance Fanfiction I've just begun:

A lone figure sat on a boulder in the midday heat, basking in the radiance of the sun. She sat with her knees tucked under her chin and her arms snaked around them. Many weaved and beaded bracelets laced around her wrists and ankles, glinting in the hot sun. Golden brown hair was pulled back in a loose pony tail and her silken curls spilled over her shoulders gleaming in the light. The beings tanned face was turned toward the sun and her deep brown eyes stared upward. The sun’s brilliance caught in her eyes, made them shine with an unearthly radiance. She blinked a few times, trying not to blind herself in the fiery ball of light. She was just about to shield her eyes with horses hooves could be heard on the nearby road. She was clearly visible to her dismay and she saw two knights ride by, stopping to bow their heads to her, as was proper to do to any maiden. She paid little attention to the Solomnics but was captivated by their mounts, two dapple-gray stallions. Nodding in response to the knights, she noted every ripple of muscle on their ornately dressed horses-the royal garbs of a wealthy Solomnic family. She shifted her gaze to their flowing manes that reached down to their knees; these were obviously traveling horses, nothing more. They beat their hooves restlessly on the ground waiting to go on. With a snort and a farewell from the knights, they were off. She followed them with her eyes thinking, What beautiful beasts… When they were out of view and she was jerked from her thoughts by a loud caw from a circling crow, she closed her eyes and rested her head on her arms, sighing deeply.

“Yet another deceived…” She muttered to herself. A secretive, mysterious smile twisted upon her face.

~¤~

Distarius watched the townspeople flit by with their busy and meaningful lives at hand. Each one dared not look at the magewear shop he ran, they feared magic, did not understand it. He wondered if they even noticed the sign outside the door displaying the three moons-white, red and black- anymore.

¤Kokuryuu Flameshifter

Black Shifter of the Conclave of Great Wyrms;

Lut Dracones, Krynn¤

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW POST

Archive Note The original post was made by someone who was not registered. As a result the parser messed up when converting. Their post appears above, followed by the next available post here:

Neo Madeen

Initiate

(12/16/02 1:49:22 pm)

Re: Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnificent

I can't reallyu read it all because of my certin issues but I read a good bit and it was great. Beter than what I could do,I guess my claim to fame on here is potery,Just wait a bit for your app. to read by Wyvern....hopefully he dosen't do the dwarf thing again liek he did to me...

Well anyway great writing and best of luck to you!

Vincent Silver,Last surviorer of the seraphs and keeper of the powers of time,"Live for Honor,Die for Honor"-Seraph Battle Cry

It is well written with descriptive language and stuff..., but I don't think Wyvern will take it. The works need to be an original piece specifically created for the purpose of joining this fine stablishment. As I understand it these aren't originally for that purpose. Sorry.

===Vlad the rage-aholic===

I can't live without rage-ahol!

"Me is smart. Dur." -Stick

Guest Kokuryuu Flameshifter

If these are Wyvern's thoughts, I shall redo this and write one form scratch. Or I'll submit this RPG I started in the Conservitory...

Upon my eyrie, far from mortal eyes, I awake and stretch within my cave. It is cramped and my stony bed if too small. With one leaping step upon my clawed paws, I am out on a ledge, gazing down at the world, still peacefully sleeping. Dawn creeps over the moutains ahead of me, glinting on my obsidian scales. Leathery wings creak on my shoulders as muscles ripple, warming the numb nerves. My wings span at about 50 feet or so and I lash my tail a few times. It lacks a weapon being that some females of my kind do not need them; but my breath weapons are far more than adiquate when dealing with foes. I stretch as a cat; reaching out my forelegs while bending the hind. With wings outstretched and glittering and claws dredging up rock as I pull back; I yawn, my mouth gaping showing my rows of silver fangs. Now recoiling, I shut my eyes against the bright rays of the orange-red sun. Their blood-reds hues brighten slightly and flash about the forest, scanning for breakfast.

With one great heave of my hind legs, I am sent wheeling into the air. Black leather sails that reach out from my back catch the air warm air currents and I lazily circle above the forest. Something catches in my keen vision and I find a white mountain goat daring to climb to my ledge. Unlucky day for him. Swooping down, careening to the rocky terrain, I catch him up, unsuspecting in my large paw. He bleats uselessly and I soon devour him heedless of my flight. Landing at the base of the mountain peaks, I fold my wings in close to my lithe, sinuous body. My eyes glitter a deadly red as I focuss their piercing gaze upon an intruder. A small mortal. I cannot tell which just yet for it is out of my view, as it walked behind a rock. I do not believe it has seen me in my ultimate form just yet and I use my shape-shifting abilities to mask it.

I now walk out as a sort of Half-elf. Or so the mortals would deem me. My ears are long and pointed and my hair flows down my back, a golden brown wave of curls. About 5 ft 7 inches in height and lithe and slender in build, I approach this mortal. My eyes are a deep amber, brown over red to keep my true identity hidden. I pad softly across the land, making sure not to make an startling sounds. For I am not like any human or true elf I suppose and I belive I might frighten whatever is behind the rock. How can a dragon pull off a stunt as a mortal? I can nevr blend in perfectly, but that is my only folly. My shape-shifting abilities are far advanced beyond those of other Great Wyrms and for that I am named Kokuryuu Flameshifter; Black Shifter of the Conclave of Great Wyrms. But I do not expect any mortals to know this. I come from a continent out of their bounds called Lut Dracones, only known to magical creatures who know that one cannot find it; its find them.

Rounding the boulder, I spot the intruder and call out.

"Who goes there, upon my land?" I sound to gruff and mighty being that I want to be subtle and homely so I soften my tone and stomp down my pride. " I wish to know whom I must approach." I add in mullified tones. Maybe I shall be able to fight with this being, for long has it been that I've had a good battle. But I doubt a mortal can challenge the likes of me.~

---------------------

I guess that introduces what and who I am. Please, I'd like to continue this if someone would with me. Or i shall move it to wherever RPG's are allowed. Thank you.

¤Kokuryuu Flameshifter

Lut Dracones, Krynn

Kokuryuu sighs dismally to herself while impatiently tapping her foot on the messy Recruitment Office floor, still waiting for the Elder of Initiates to arrive and take her application into consideration... It had been over a week, and the stories she had submitted as applications had become barely visible in a thick layer of dust that had gathered on the absent Elder of Initiates' desk... Feeling boredom overcoming her and having nothing to do in the empty Recruiter's Office other than curiously gazing at the covers of Wyvern's rather questionable reading material (mainly consisting of get-rich-quick scheme books and etchy smut magazines), Kokuryuu is about to set out and search elsewhere for a recruiter when the entrance door of the Office suddenly creaks open. Expecting Wyvern, the eager applicant jumps to her feet and quickly walks over to the door to greet him, only to be met by what appears to be a lazy looking dwarf. Kokuryuu raises an eyebrow curiously, noticing that the mini-recruiter's "formal" attire consists of a soda stained T-shirt and jeans, both of which had been put on backwards out of sheer laziness...

There is a long moment of silence in which Idly the Pen Elder Dwarf clears his throat, takes a few breath mints, drinks a Pepsi, and reads the latest scandal in the newest issue of "National Inquirer". He then remembers what he came to the office for and, turning to Kokuryuu, clears his throat once again and mutters:

"Hi.... I'm... y'know, Idly, one of those Pen Elder dwarfish guys... yeah... ...So anyway, I'm supposed to be your recruiter... and stuff... I take it you're White Rose Oujisama, correct?"

Kokuryuu blinks and stares at Idly with a blank expression on her face, somewhat confused and thinking that the dwarf recruiter surely must be trying to pull some kind of joke. After a long moment of idle silence, however, Idly takes out a crumpled sheet of instructions from his pocket and begins reading over it at a snail's pace. Eventually taking note of the date on the paper, Idly crumples it up again and mutters:

"Oh... I'm sorry, these instructions were actually from a few weeks ago, I've just been kinda procra- ... sti... well, you get the picture..."

Kokuryuu's jaw drops open and she's about to speak up, when for once Idly doesn't decide to take 5 minutes to respond and says:

"It's O.K... look... I'll go over your application in a bit, just lemme watch "Beverly Hills 90210", followed by "Survivor" and then an all nighter of "I Dream of Genie" on Nick at Night. Of course, at that point I'll have to go into my yearly hibernation period of 11 months and 29 days... .... .... .... but I'll get back to you shortly."

Kokuryuu gazes at Idly in a mixture of disgust and awe before exclaiming "You call that shortly?!!". Fortunatly, at that very moment, Wyvern is tossed into the Office by two armed police agents. The overgrown lizard is dressed in an elf suite, though after he had been stopped by security for trying to cause a worker uprising at the closest Santa outlet and stealing all the gifts, he had been hit very hard in the snout and looked more like Rudolf the Reindeer with pointy ears than anything else... As Idly moves lethargicaly to the side, the reptilian Elder of Initiates clogs his bloody nostrils as best as he can and immediatly stamps Kokuryuu's application "ACCEPTED".

OOC: On a more serious note, an ACCEPTED application Kokuryuu... welcome to the Mighty Pen! I apologize for my lateness in responding, and will send you the Pen password information and such ASAP. Once again, welcome!

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"If it doesn't make dollars then it doesn't make sense" - Triple Seis, "Glamour Life"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 12/22/02 7:35:17 pm

Guest Kokuryuu Flameshifter

Kokuryuu spread her wings in complete joy, knocking the dwarf over and filling the room, still having to fold her 50 foot spanning wings

EXCELLANT!! awaits eagerly for the e-mail to make its enterance

¤Kokuryuu Flameshifter

Lut Dracones, Krynn¤

Guest Tamaranis

An uprising among Santa's elves indeed. I can only imagine, and that might well be for the best

Glad you finally got to that, Wyvern

Now we can have an OOC for her RPG