The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

My Application

Guest Luxani

Guest Luxani

Hello everyone. Im stumbled across this site searcing on ezboard and figured it might be worth a try. Ive never really been much more than a novice writer, but it cant hurt to try.

She had lived here for every moon of her seventeen summers, always feeling like she was on the outside looking in. Her father was the General of the princes special forces, her brothers were all soldiers of varying degrees, the eldest a master of the ancient blade-dance of her people. Some members of the court at her fathers palace said she was cursed, the youngest of nine children, and the first female. Everyone knew when her eighteenth summer came she would leave, her husband to be had been selected at her birth, the princes own causin, a man twice her age and more. This was to be her fate, a wife to show off to a man wanting to gain in his own fame because of her. This was to be the course of her existence, untill one day.

Her entire world shattered...

The crisp autumn air whipped across her face as she awakened from her mid-afternoon slumber in the woods on the outskirts of her families ancestrial land. She had snuck out of the palace again to explore the woods, eager to escape the constraints her father rigidly placed on her. As she slowly came to her senses, she realizes something was terribly wrong, the air above her was thick with smoke, and she could hear the screams coming from her home.

Instantly, she scrambled to her feet, swaying slightly as she tried to gain her balance "Lux," whispered to herself "get ahold of yourself, or your gonna really look like the tree they call you." Her composure regained, she started to run in the direction of her home, the sounds of pitched battle becoming clearer and clearer. As she came to the hill overlooking the palace she had always called home, she skidded to a stop.

She couldnt believe the sight that lay before her, the elves had come. Long allies of her father and the prince and numbering many of her closest friends. Arrows flew rapidly from the elven force slowly moving its way towards the castle, but she barely noticed, her eyes were fixed on the man leading them. He was clearly not elven, his body far too big, to bulky, his dark blue armor showed off his form moreso. She grasped in her brain looking for a reason an entire elven army would follow a non-elf, something in the entire history of the elven nation they had never done. As she looked around to see what else she could see, she saw the shadow dart in from the corner of her eye, then saw no more.

--------------------

She awoke the next morning in a puddle of blood, some hers, most apparantly not. As she looked around she saw bodies everywhere, some elven, but most human. She struggled to rise and finally crawled off the hill to the cover of the trees, tired, thirsty and for the first time in her life, very very alone.

To be Continued

Well, theres that, i doubt its very good, as i said im nothing more than an aspiring writer, but i hope to hear something from you soon.

Luxani

Ah! Tones of fairy tale and epic fantasy at the same time. I like it! I also greatly approve of elves used as enemies. Too danged much stereotyping done in fantasy nowadays, if you ask me.

I'm one of the head honchos around here, and I qualify myself as only an aspiring writer, too. So stick with us! I think you'll be surprised.

But back to your story- Please, keep going.

Guest Balladore

Balladore Guffaws at Ozymandias thinking that he's one of the head honchos

Technically, anyone who hasn't been published is a novice writer... and I don't think that very many of us here at the pen have been published.

And hey, all you can do is try, right? Right.

I'd be careful about bad-mouthing elves, too, Ozymandias... you're asking for it from Gyrfalcon, if you ask me

Edited by: Balladore at: 4/5/02 6:44:47 pm

As Luxani nervously seats herself in an applicant office chair waiting for her application to be responded to, she notices that surrounding her are what appear to be seven very strange looking dwarves seating on elevated stools... Luxani raises an eyebrow curiously and is about to introduce herself to the dwarves when the door to the office is suddenly slammed open. In barges Wyvern, the Elder of Initiates, wearing a cheap suit and tie...

The overgrown lizard swiftly enters, adjusting his tie and brushing back the scales on his head while leaving the door to the office slightly ajar. Grinning and showing a mouthfull of razor sharp teeth, Wyvern turns to the applicant and the gathered dwarves and exclaims:

"Ladies and gents... today, we have a special guest accepting Pen applications! I present to you..."

The dwarves seated at their stools eagerly nod and grin as a drumroll sounds in the background in order to build suspense. Wyvern had told them that an eighth dwarf was coming, and they were obviously excited...

"... Silly, the Pen Elder dwarf of Gwaihir!"

At that moment, an orangutan waltzes into the room and begins pouncing off the walls and clinging to the ceiling fan, making several inarticulate orangutan noises in the process. The Seven dwarves surrounding Luxani stare in utter disbelief, as does the applicant herself...

"Wyvern!" exclaims the dwarf Grouchy in a typicaly grouchy manner "That's not a dwarf, it's a monkey!"

No sooner has Grouchy made this comment then Silly leaps from his position clinging to the ceiling fan and lands directly in front of the disgruntled dwarf. The orangutan rapidly pulls out a blank sign and a marker and writes "I'm more of a dwarf then you'll ever be" on it before bashing Grouchy over the head with it. He then pulls out another sign and writes "And I'm not a monkey, I'm an orangutan!"

Grouchy wobbles for a moment, then turns to the other Elder dwarves and smiles. "He definatly has my vote for hot tempered attitude..." the dwarf mumbles before collapsing to the ground unconcious...

Wasting no further ado, Silly quickly swings from a window curtain and grabs Luxani's application with his feet, doing an incredibly acrobatic back flip and reading over the application while hanging from the rotating ceiling fan upside down. Having finished his reading, Silly jumps from the ceiling fan to the back of Luxani's shoulders and holds out a sign in front of her face that reads:

"ACCEPTED"

OOC: On a more serious note, Luxani, a well done story, I eagerly await the continuation. Thus, your application to the Pen is ACCEPTED. Welcome! If you could either post your e-mail here or send me a mail at elitwack90@hotmail.com, I'll be able to send you the passwords and such. And once again, welcome!

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 4/5/02 11:28:55 pm

Guest The Grim Squeaker

A tiny, hooded form chooses that moment to walk nonchalantly through the stonework of Wyvern's wall. 'Silly's' eyes light up in recognition.

"Oook?" The newcomer pauses, lifting a toothy, fleshless muzzle and empty, eerily glowing eye sockets to the Elder Dwarf.

SQUEAK?, it replies hollowly.

"Oook."

SQUEAK. It nods sagely.

"Oook."

SQUEAK. It shrugs thin shoulders. Wyvern and Luxani watch, transfixed as the...conversation...continues. The seven Elder Dwarves have wandered off by now and are singing to the newest applicant they could surround. SQUEAK, it states emphatically.

"Oook." It is Silly's turn to shrug. Luxani begins to acutely notice the pressure an over 200 lb. primate can generate ontop of your shoulders.

SQUEAK. The newcomer motions to Luxani. Silly nods.

"Oook."

SQUEAK. With a little wave and a glint of light off of the blade of a miniscule scythe, the very rodentlike skeleton continues on its path and walks out the opposite wall.

"Nngh," grunts Luxani. The Elder Dwarf begins trying to pick lice from the new initiate. Luxani and Silly promptly topple to the floor.

Guest Zephryin

In a huff to "talk" to Wyvern about the "incedental fees" on his parking receipt, he throws open the door to find an orangutan atop a rather distraugh looking girl, trying to pick lice out of her hair, seven dwarves all yelling at the top of their lungs, and what appears to be a cloaked rodent skeleton, bearing a scythe, passing through the wall!

"Uh-er... I'll come back later."

«=================»

Zephryin, Knight of The Constellation, Initiate of the Pen is Mightier than the Sword

«=================»

"Draw thy sword, that, if my speech offend a noble heart, thy arm may do thee justice: here is mine."