The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

My Application

Porcelain

Viewer

(2/24/02 11:58:07 am)

Reply My Application

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having been encouraged several times by my friends on the Archmage BB and having finally found a spare moment to take a look at the Pen, I shall go ahead and try my hand at applying here. I shall leave both a sample of my poetry and a snippet from a story I am currently in the process of completing.

~Porcelain

-----------------------------

"If the World Should Break"

if the world should break

and from its very foundations crumble

you will find me standing still

i am not what i once was

and my skin is no more of your concern

the lines of my face

may not win your grace

but i am real and i am here

even if i'm out of place

and the firmament spiral into the seas

you will find me

singing still and sure

over the ashes

hatred will not craft me

into a sweeter shape of silver

i will still be

blue and bold and bright

as the heavens at midnight

despite all the times

you'd told me

that it's a sin to shine

and all that you once held true

comes crashing down

from overhead

you will find me

offering you my hand

through the rubble

smiling soft, ready to see you through

i'm not like you

-----------------------------

A Passage from "Gutter Nymphs"

( I ) - Karian

~

Even though she had left the real world only hours ago, Karian de Roe had come to the conclusion that being dead left a lot to be desired.

[Karian de Roe, you have been judged by the Council of the Circle, and your life has been deemed devoid of humanity. You are hereby sentenced to eternal damnation within the Rings of the Abyss.]

Oh yes, she decided, being dead sucked. Royally.

"Don't I get to defend myself? Don't I have a say in this? We're talkin' about eternity! You can't mean to lock me away for that long!" Karian de Roe, still dressed in the red-leather huntress garb she had been wearing when she was slain, strained against the chains that bound her hands and feet.

[We can, and we do.]

She strained her eyes to see beyond the veil of darkness that separated her from the Council of the Circle. "This isn't right! You don't know anything, you sanctimonious bastards! I did what I had to do, and it got me murdered and sent to this damned place. It ain't my fault she knifed me in the back!"

[Your murder and the circumstances under which you came here hold no bearing on your sentence, Karian. You were selfish and heartless in life; your own actions have brought this upon you. Now prepare to face the consequences of your choices.]

Karian screamed as her flesh was torn to pieces and the whole world faded into nothing...

....ughhnnhhhhhnnnnn....

{Why this one? Is there no one else?}

~You know damn well that she's it, Baal.~

{Still, why did it have to be her? She hasn't the skills or the discipline to take on a task like this!}

"Skills or no, old man, she's the only one that can leave to do it. You know the rules, just like Belial and I."

....uuhmmmmmmm...?......

~She's waking. You two stop arguing. We have a ritual to do.~

{I hate to waste such power and prestige on this creature...}

"It may very well be a waste. I've never seen a soul that's been released from the coil survive this rite."

.......mmmmmmmhmmmmmmm.....

~Ever the optimist, Mephistopheles.~

"Let's just get this over with."

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Karian finally awoke, she found herself in an almost absurdly simple room. It was no longer than twice the length of her arms, and even less wide than that. The walls, floor, and ceiling were the color of slate stone, and shone dully in the pale light. She could not tell where the light was coming from; there were no candles or windows as far as she could see. Her eyes hurt to open, but they burned even worse when closed, so she continued to stare at her mundane surroundings. When she was sure both her eyes and her mind could take the shock, she looked down at her own body and bit back a scream.

She was naked, which in itself was rather disturbing considering what she could remember of the Council, but that was not what made her want to scream. Her skin was pale as death and marked by large, jagged scars, which were even whiter. Her legs, her arms, torso, shoulders, and neck were covered in them. But what was worst of all was the gaping wound that seemed to smile up at her from between her breasts. Her mouth gaped in imitation of the hole in her chest. It was the length of her middle finger and as wide as the first joint of that finger. She stared at it in shock and horror. What the hell was going on?

Curiosity mounted, and Karian was restless, staring at her body, the room, the scars, the wound... Gods, she wanted answers and quickly. This was worse than her initial damnation had been.

"Of course it is, Karian. What did you expect the Abyss to be?" A very masculine, yet inhuman, voice in her ear startled her severely.

"Bloody hell!" She stood up and spun on her heel to look the voice's owner in the face only to find herself in total darkness again.

Laughter echoed all around her. She could see nothing, and her body wailed in protest of her movements. It took all her strength not to scream or fall or both. "Karian." The voice spoke her name again, but she could not guess where it came from. It was every where all at once. "Hurry, Karian. You have work to do."

As the voice commanded her, Karian's body began to move obediently, despite the protest of her mind and the pain that flared inside of her with each step.

"There isn't much time, Karian, and I have many things to show you... So very many things..."

...Where is this place?

(We're in the Abyss, Karian. Where you were locked away for the past few years.)

...Years? I've only been dead a few hours!

(Time passes differently here. But there isn't time to explain everything. You've got a lot to do, Karian.)

...What do you mean?

(You'll see.)

...Are all the spirits of the Abyss this g*ddamn vague?

(Hold on, Karian. This is going to hurt like hell.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW POST

Archive Note The original post was made by someone who was not registered. As a result the parser messed up when converting. Their post appears above, followed by the next available post here:

peredhil31

An Ancient Polite Bard

(2/24/02 7:36:07 pm)

ezSupporter

Porcelain!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peredhil hugs Porcelain and points her to the Lists area, where there is a link to making a local Ezboard Account.

You'll need an account in case the Elders accept you to the Pen.

Welcome!

Porcelain stirs in her applicant seat worried

That perhaps her application to the Pen had been hurried

The overgrown lizard had yet to show up

Although then again, he was always corrupt...

What was taking the damn Elder so long?

Had he started a new scheme, found a new thong?

Was he chocolate mud wrestling, or downing some booze?

Or perhaps he was at a bar, charming some flooze...

Was he greedy? Was he poor? Was he happy? Was he sore?

Was he needy? Was he sure? Was he crappy? Say no more!

For into the door barges Wyvern and more!

No sooner has Wyvern come into the room

Then Melba begins acting up with her broom

She takes it and raises it high above her head

Shouting at Wyvern "You'll wish you were dead!"

The overgrown lizard, though, is prepared

This has happened before, he's not unaware

Melba had always shown concern for the applicants

And when Wyvern was late, she always threw crap at him

So this time, rather then getting hit over the head

Wyvern decides to dodge Melba, and sidesteps instead

Melba misses Wyv's head and... oh my gad zooks!

It hits an official behind Wyv in a suite!

The man is knocked out and Melba's mouth drops open

She had never realized that her swing was so potent

Now that Wyv's business is out cold on the floor

The lizard decides to make a rush for the door

Before he goes out though, he notices Porcelain

And immediatly ends up changing his course again...

Running up to the applicant, Wyv wips out a sheet

He stamps it ACCEPTED and then turns to flee

By this time, however, the suited man has recovered

And is reaching into his tux for the knife of his brother

So Wyv quickly bows to Porcelain and jumps

Out of the fourth story Pen window...

And lands with a 'thump!'

Ugh...

;p

OOC: Definatly an ACCEPTED application to the Pen Porcelain, welcome! I enjoyed both your poem and the beginning of your story immensely, and have always enjoyed your works from the Archmage UBBs. Two technicalities you should do before you're fully accepted, however:

1) As Peredhil said, please make a global or a local EZboard account. A link to creating one can be found in the Pen's list of usefull links.

2) Please either post your e-mail here or send a mail to me at elitwack90@hotmail.com, so that I can send you the passwords and stuff.

Thanks, and once again, welcome!

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 3/1/02 9:20:50 pm