The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Monopoly Scoundrels edition

TLDunn213

I recently played Monopoly Cheaters edition. Interesting concept but not really pulled off all that well. 

Anyway, I decided to make my own version. And I'm jotting down my brainstorming efforts here so I can get back to them later.

Ok

First up.

Stockmarket:

Game of Life has one and I've long thought Monopoly should too.

So, while I'm tinkering around with my own version why not. 

So, how it works 

Land on Go and you get $400 

(Because people have had this as a house rule for years anyway so let's make it official )

And you have the option to pay $100 to buy a number from the Stockmarket 

2 to 12 and when anyone rolls that number you get $100 from the bank.

You can only buy one number each time you Land on Go and only one person can own a number. 

You can sell/trade Stock numbers just like any thing else you own.

Next 

Free Parking is changed to Lottery 

Land here roll the dice get that much ×$100. 

Snakeeyes gets you $200 boxcars gets you $1200 ect. 

One roll per visit.

Getting money from Free Parking is another been around forever house rule So why not 

The Go to Jail space is now Teleport.

Go directly to any space on the board; and proceed as you would getting there any other way. 

There are going to be plenty of other ways of going to jail, so we don't really need this one.

Next up

The two tax spaces are replaced with Scoundrel spaces: Land here. Draw a Scoundrel card. If no cards are available then Draw your choice of Comunity chest or Chance card or roll again.

The other way to get Scoundrel cards is by rolling doubles 

When you roll doubles you have the option to roll again (as per original rules) or to draw a Scoundrel card.

Ok That's it for the board for now 

Worth noting I'm building this with the original board. I want my railroads and utilities. Which seem to be the first things to go when they make a smaller version board.

I might rename some properties for flavor and change a few prices as I'm getting rid of $1s and $5s for easier money handling.

Might also change some of the Chance and Comunity Chest cards also mostly for flavor.

Now for the big bit 

The Scoundrel cards.

Each card will have some dastardlydead on it. 

Bank heist, Pick pocket, Arson, ect.

Then there is the penalty section 

Being a Scoundrel is risky business after all 

The penalty will be a fine and/or going to Jail. 

The penalty is triggered by another player using one of their Scoundrel cards to NOPE what you were trying to do. 

Used cards go to the bottom of the stack. The stack may be shuffled at this time. 

In case it wasn't clear Scoundrel cards are played when you need them and can be held until needed with no limit on how many you can have.

Now I just need to work out the Scoundrel cards themselves.

• Like 2

These are the icons I'm using for 

Scoundrel (Both for the space and the back of the cards)

Teleport 

Lottery 

I'll type in the text for the Scoundrel cards and the changed Chance and Comunity Chest cards later 

As to printing out the cards 

I'm working with hand written index cards for now but at some point I will try to find a way to print the cards and make my modified game board.

But I'm wanting to play test it some before committing to making anything fancy.

• Like 2

To save myself some typing 

Scoundrel cards: S

Dastardlydead: DD (the rotten thing you are trying to do)

Scoundrel Points: SP (the points you get for your DDs or stopping someone else's)

Penalty: P (the price you pay if your DD gets "Noped"

Comunity Chest: CC

Chance: C

Nopeing any Scoundrel card can be used to Nope a DD just present the card skull side up and say Nope when you want/need to stop a DD 

Some C/CC cards will have optional DDs/Ps 

The Cards

Scoundrel 

Secret Auction 

Buy an unowned property from the Bank for $10

P: The Property goes up for open auction.

Price Gouging 

Charge double rent 

P: They stay for free 

You pay lowest rent to Bank 

Go to Jail. 

Jail Break 

Leave Jail on your turn 

P: skip your turn. Pay $50

Squatter's Rites

Place this card on any property that you don't own. The next time a player lands there You collect the Rent and the Deed to that Property.

P: (can be noped when placed or when rent is due.) You pay highest rent and go to Jail. If Property was unowned it's up for Auction. 

Unlicensed Contractor.

Put a Hotel on any property you own even if you don't have the full set.

P: The Player who Noped you gets the Hotel 

Bounty Hunter

When you are on the same space as another player Play this to send them to Jail and collect $100 from the Bank 

P: Pay $50 to the player and $50 to the Bank. You Go to Jail.

Bank Heist 

Take $500 from the Bank 

P: Pay $1000 to the Bank.

Go to Jail 

Identity Theft 

Move any Player's token to any space on the board.(yes. You can move yourself)

P: The Player who Noped you moves your token to anywhere on the board.

Skip out on Rent 

Present this card when rent is due to avoid paying 

P: Pay Double rent. Go to Jail.

Stock Fraud 

Take a Stock Number from another player or the Bank 

P: Pay $100 to Bank. Go to Jail 

Pick Pocket 

Take $100 from another player 

P: Pay that Player $100. Go to Jail 

Trick Dice

Move any number of spaces (2-12)

P: Stay where you are. Pay $50 to Bank 

Insurance Fraud 

Return a House/Hotel to the Bank for double its cost 

P: Return the House/Hotel to the Bank and pay its cost. Go to Jail.

Arson 

Remove a House/Hotel  from another Player's property 

P: Pay that Player the price of a Hotel. Go to Jail 

Vandalize 

Place this card on another Player's property They can only collect lowest rent until they pay $100 to the Bank for repairs 

P: you pay the player highest rent plus $100 to the Bank for repairs and you go to Jail 

Incriminate 

Send another player to Jail 

P: You go to Jail 

Edited by TLDunn213
  • Like 1

I'm mostly using the Comunity Chest/Chance cards from the Cheaters edition. Several of which are the same as the originals 

Unless noted otherwise CC/C cards cannot be Noped. 

For now I'm going with just one copy of each card but that may change depending on how things go

Comunity Chest 

Get out of Jail Free. 

Go to Jail (-1 SP)

Send Another player to Jail (+5 SP)

Offshore Bank Account goes belly up Pay $300 to the Bank or Go to Jail (-5 SP)

Judge a Beauty Contest:  Collect $50 from the Bank.  DD(optional) receive $100 bribe to rig the contest. (From the Bank.) (+1SP.) P: forfeit the original $50 and pay $100 to the Bank.(-1SP)

Draw a Scoundrel card.

Teleport 

Fake Taxi.  DD: Move another player to any space on the board.(+5SP) P: They move you.(may be used to Teleport yourself in which case it is not Nopeable and +1SP)

Bailout (save until needed) When you owe more than you have in cash play this and receive $2400 from the Bank (+5 SP)

Construction Zone. Place this card on any property you own. The next player to reach this space stops here regardless of what they rolled and pays Rent as if landing here normally. Card is then returned to the bottom of the stack.(+5 SP)

Foreclosure: Return any one property another player owns to the Bank. Houses/Hotels stay on the board and belong to whoever is next able to buy the property.(+5 SP)

Piggyback: The next time a player buys a House/Hotel Play this card and put one on a property you own for free.(+5 SP)

Christmas Bonus: Advance to Go and take one Stock Number for free. If no Stock Numbers are available collect $500 for landing on Go instead.

Tourist Attraction: Place this card on any property you own. Whenever another player passes this space they pay you $50. Return this card to the bottom of the stack as soon as someone lands on this space.(+5 when placed +1 each time you get paid)

NOPE. (Plays just like a skull up Scoundrel card.)

Edited by TLDunn213
  • Like 1

Chance 

Go to Jail (-1SP.)

Get out of Jail Free (+1 SP)

Send Another player to Jail (+5 SP)

Draw a Scoundrel card.

Gambling Den. Place on a property you own. When another player lands here you both roll the dice High roll wins. Looser pays winner the difference between rolls×$100. This card stays until you lose a roll.(successfully placing this card is worth 5 SP and each win is worth 1. This card can be noped when it is first being placed)

Brothel.(See Comunity Chest Tourist Attraction But $100 successfully placing this card is worth 5 SP and 1 SP each time you get paid.)

Impersonate a Celebrity: The next time you owe rent play this card and that player pays you that amount.(+5SP)

Stuck in Reverse: Pick a player (yes,you can pick yourself)on their next roll they move Backwards the number of spaces rolled.(+1 SP)

Busted: You are caught running a scam. Pay $100 or go to Jail.(-5 SP)

Take a cab: Advance to the next unowned property.

NOPE. (Plays just like a skull up Scoundrel card.)

Edited by TLDunn213
  • Like 1

If you do try playing this, please let me know how it goes. Thanks 

And if you have any ideas for cards or thoughts about how many of some of them should be in the game; or any other thoughts/ideas about it let me know.

I haven't had a chance to play test this yet. But I fully expect that it will need some tweaking.

Any ideas about how to pitch this to Hasbro (assuming you liked it and think it would have a chance of selling)

I'm mostly doing this for fun But given the number of Monopoly Editions that are coming out lately Why not give it a go ?

I'm also thinking about putting in a system of Scoundrel Points.

Who can be the Biggest Scoundrel?

Getting away with a Dastardlydead would be worth so many points Nopeing would be worth some points But not nearly as much as getting away with it. 

Also thinking about having the Stocks go up in value whenever someone rolls that number. 

Winning would be about who has the most money including the value of everything they own including stocks and $100 for each Scoundrel Point.

Getting Away with a Dastardlydead would be worth 5 Scoundrel Points while Nopeing is only worth 1. Exceptions will be noted on the card.

Edited by TLDunn213
  • Like 1

I really WANT to try it; I just can't get anyone to take the time. I also don't have a Cheaters edition. I DO have a Stranger Things edition! Just looking at what you've put forth here, it LOOKS playable, but we all know that the play is in the playing.

Can't find anything about pitching to Hasbro, but I did find several make your own-OPOLY games you could use to make your own version. Also, there are several Pennites who make/publish their own games and books, one of them MIGHT know how to pitch it.

I did see that most variants are by USAOPOLY, but it looks like they just rename properties and change images, not sure if they are the ones to contact about a change like yours.

I'll let you know if I do find anything or get the chance to playtest!

I BELIEVE that the copyrights are for images and names and BASIC board design: the game rules are generic to game play (if I'm not mistaken), change board shape (Octogon?) number of spaces, names, images, etc. and you don't violate copyright - I THINK!

Stranger Things is one I hadn't heard of before. Not surprised it exist, just hadn't seen it.

I think we have a make your own oply around here somewhere. So, yeah that could be a way to make the cards and stuff.

As to play testing it I'm in the same boat as you with trying to find people to play with.

As to selling and all that, I want to play it and debug it first. 

Anyway good luck finding players and let me know how it goes when/if you get the chance. And I'll post what I learn from playing Whenever that happens 

Not kidding, this looks really fun! I would definitely try getting or somehow crafting your own set and trying out the play style first, but after that maybe you could pitch it to Hasbro since this sounds awesome. And for a name, I'd go with just "Scoundrel" or "Modern Scoundrel"? It fits with the cards and the more modern take on the game. I LOVE all the ideas you had here & if you need any help creating art for the game board or the cards, let me know. I'd love to help. 

Thanks 

The logo I wanted was a skull with a tophat, and an eyepatch with a dollar sign on it and a pair of fancy walking sticks crossed under it.

At some point I'm going to hand write out the cards on index cards and play test it assuming I can find both the time and people. 

If I have to I'll try playing it against myself or three player Me, Myself, and I 

😁

And by all means feel free to make your own copy and play test it .

I'm debating a couple of tweaks to what I have here but want to test this version before trying the other ideas. 

So I don't forget them.

I'm thinking about adding a black market and having the Noping be a dice roll thing rather than automatic.

Anyway if you do play test it let me know how it goes and any ideas you think might make it better.

• Like 1

Well that is what the tophat is for 

Beyond that I'm not sure how much resemblance you can get with just a skull.

I'm trying for a pirate flag that looks like what the Monopoly Man would fly if he was a pirate. 

Not sure how to do it, but how about AI? I saw a video where they just told it what they want, and it made it. Maybe say: What would they Monopoly Mans skull look like? With a top hat. With an eyepatch that has a dollar sign on it. What would a pirate flag with this image look like? With walking sticks instead of crossbones.

That MIGHT work, I don't know.

Just an idea!