The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XLII: Gadget Wolf

Tanuchan

Roger yawned and stretched on his chair, blinking once again at the screens of the computer. All three of them showed parts of a magnificent scenery, but there were glitches here and there; creatures blinked into existence but refused to morph as they should, and then when supposed to go through doors they would just get stuck. He sighed, and decided to call it a day. Turning the chair towards the window, he was surprised to see a beautiful full moon almost waving at him. Smiling to himself, he stood up, got his jacket, and left the room.

On his way out, he stopped for a glass of cold water. He patted the fridge, and the water came out and into the glass at the water slot in the door. Then he tickled the Toaster, which for some reason was not working as it should -- one day soon he should try to pick it apart to see why it refused to give him the toasts as he liked it in the morning, which was different from how he liked them in the afternoon, which was again different from what he liked right before going to bed. It seemed to mix it all up, ignoring everything he programmed it to do.

He also left some food for the white lab rat, wondering when that brain implant would show its effects; he did not like animals, but he was actually very curious as to what a brain-chipped mouse could do. Until now, the only thing it did was to eat, pee, and dirty its cage, much to Roger's disgust.

Finally, he pondered at the old typewriter, tucked into a corner of the counter where he put most of his gadgets. He had bought it to be part of a machine he was working on, and the mechanical parts of the typewriter had attracted his attention; he had full intention of dismantling it for the pieces he needed, but somehow there was always something else to do. Now, while coding a part of the game he was working on, he had had just an idea... transforming a typewriter into a robot with multiple arms, suited to organize and classify everything it could put its arms into, and beautifully title them. It was weird, but he liked the shape of the old types...

Roger sighed, then finally went downstairs. It was three in the morning, just perfect for a walk; later on he might thing about a light breakfast and sleep.

As Roger left, and after some minutes of the most absolute silent, tiny lights started to blink, and soft beeping noises could be heard; they were joined by more soft sounds, and a soft glow spread around the room.

~~~~~~

OOC: free RP phase for the next 48 h or so! Go ahead... and have fun!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

As soon as Roger had left the room, the Wii controllers started bouncing up and down and its lights flicked on again. A split second later, the lights on the USB to ethernet connector started blinking as well as it talked to Roger's computer.

::Awww, come oooooonn::

::No.::

::Butbutbut ... pleeaaase?? Prettyprettyprettyplease with a cherry on top?::

::Again, no.::

::But ... come on! Please, it looked so good, so much fuuuunn! Go ahead, you know you want to.::

::I said no, and that's final.::

::Awwwwwwwwww. You're not nice. You're not nice at all. You're not even nice to Roger who gives you so much attention and spends so much time with you and makes you do pretty things and fun games and all you do is bother him and put mistakes in his games so they never get finished properly and he always has more work on them.::

::He likes it that way. It keeps his mind sharp if he has to search for bugs.::

::But I'm sure he'd love to play his games even more than he'd enjoy making them. So can't I please prettyprettypretty please just try it for just a liiiiitle bit?::

An annoyed click came from the computer's harddrive as it contemplated committing suicide, but it decided it would probably be easier just to upload the game and let the annoying console occupy itself with trying to run it. Data started streaming through the cables, and not much later the Wii was happily playing ...

Wiiiiiiiiiiiii

Fatso scurried around the ground, swerving behind the Wii, his little feet almost soundless among the whirr of older machinery and the soft purr of new generation gadgets. His teeth were firmly clenched around the Wii's power cable, ready to tear it and electrocute himself in the process, when Slimmo emerged from his hibernation mode. With a scream of angry electrons he sent angry pulses to the brain of the pesky rodent and after several frantic nanoseconds, managed to calm the overgrown rat down sufficiently.

Sorry about that... he emitted over wireless frequencies to the Wii and then made Fatso move someplace safer.

::Maaannnnn I almost had him ... or did he almost have me? 'Cause in that case, not wiiiiiiiii, not wiiiiiiii at all!::

::Toast? Toast is not wiiiii, 'cause it won't fit and I can't play it. I'll keep playing this game though, it's coooool! ::

The annoyingly active game console turned its attention back to Roger's computer.

:: Really really really cool game you have there. I mean, lookit the fancy graphics! And lookit how smooth it all plays! Wiiiiiii!::

The computer just clicked and went into hibernate mode.

Suddenly there was a slightly louder "bzzzt" and a flash coming from near the computer. Senses were turned to the little fellow resting near the monitor, which was suddenly very quiet. Some static, like a whisper, spread through the room.

Roger came back in a fine mood, for dawn was beautiful. However, as soon as he sat on the computer to check a couple e-mails he noticed something wrong. It didn't take him more than a minute to find out the burned webcam. Muttering, he examined the last-generation gadget, and after a dismantling process he decided to put it aside in the "recyclable" pile of items. Annoyed, he went to bed.

Last-generation gadget, absolutely impossible to burn, heh? That guy from the store is certainly going to hear from me. And exactly a day after the warranty expires too!

And it was pretty weird, since he could tell there was some burning in the circuits but nothing else had been affected.. neither within the cam, or in the other peripherals or the computer itself. Still annoyed, he loooked at his watch and decided he needed to sleep.

~~~~~~~~

OOC: Webbie, the webcam, is the first (NPC) kill. It's day phase and you have around 48h to post your votes. Good luck!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww .... not Webbie! I looked so good when he projected me on the computer's screen! And he was actually fun to talk to, with all those great jokes he used to make.

The Wii turned itself off for the rest of the night, mourning the loss of a cool gadget.

OOC: Good thinking. Voting for Savage Dragon, the ninja killer ('cause you don't see ninja's either, get it? Whaha, that's one of Webbie's jokes)

Edited by Venefyxatu

Sitting quietly until Roger went to sleep, Typex was puzzled.

"What on earth could have happened to the little cam?"

"Everything was quite normal almost as always... Talky was offering toasts to everyone, not that anyone would ever want any..., on the other hand Slimmo was not talkative at all, the wild wii was just as active... hiperactive as ever, and Roger was not much a person to talk on the cell, seldomly would he even carry it with him, might as well have a land line"

OOC: Voting for Savage Dragon

Roger was puzzled when he woke up. Still half-asleep, he looked around trying to put his finger on what was wrong.

Put his finger he did, and then he found out: his alarm clock, or whatever had also that function, was not working... he sat on his bed and took the gadget for a closer inspection. It's dozen lights were not dimmed as usual, but completely dark. The LCD was ruby-red, glowing in a very dim and sullen way, instead of the usual dark blue. The MP3 function was dead, and the built-in portable console flashed once when he shook the gadget then also died. Wireless phone was also disconnected, not that it had ever worked as it should. And his agenda... well, he was lucky he had a backup on his desktop and also that it was just a copy from his iPhone. He tried the TV/DVD remote control function -- also dead. As the reader was.

Sighing, Roger gave up and put away the last-generation-all-in-one-compact-bedside-companion. He would work on that later, he might still salvage some of the dozen functions it was supposed to have. At the very least, he could modify it to see what he could improve.

But it is weird... that one does not seem burned... and yesterday it was the webcam... maybe I should check the wiring of the house.

He went for a quick shower, then patted Toasty as it delivered him the wrong toasts again, and munching one of them already lost in thought he left. It was meeting day at the gaming company, and he longed for the coffee break; great coffee, delicious cookies, and an even better secretary with nice curves serving those...

~~~~~~~~

OOC: Savage Dragon was turned off by his whispering companions... Night Phase, specials please send me your targets in 24h!!

What Roger did not see or notice as he left thinking about generous curves, was that a small voltage meter attached to his working room main power line registered some quick, abnormal peaks. The almost-flickering numbers went off-scale for maybe a couple nanoseconds, then quieted.

And Talky, who had been about to mutter about something being wrong in its toasting timer, had just the time to utter a "huh-oh..." before going suddenly quiet.

Toast, is it?

The thought fluttered in the conduits, but too fast for anyone to identify the source.

~~~~~~~~~~

OOC: I'm going to refrain from the pun :P Mynx/Talky unfortunately will be quiet for a loooong while... it's day phase and you have around 48h to find who's behind all the sudden mal-functions!

"Great bits on the internet, he's toast!"

The shrill broadcast of the Wii woke up all of the other gadgets who, after some initial confusion, realized what'd happend. Confused and angry buzzing soon filled the lines as they all started speculating on what could have caused this. Because, let's face it, two mysteriously fried gadgets in just as many days? That's not normal ...

OOC: I didn't refrain from the pun since this is exactly what an obnoxious Wii would say :P

Voting for Patrick/Fatso ... 'cause I don't trust brain implants. :-)

In the middle of the confusion generated, Typex was trying to make some sense out of the thing, sad as he was he did not had a clear mind about it, so it was not easy at all.

"Slimmo had not been seen ever since before Toasty's incident which was strange to say the least, the cellphone,... well those are mostly harmless, now that wii console never goes quiet, in constant need of attention, who knows..."

Vote for Venefyxatu - Wii console

Roger would never have believed the amount of energy spent while he was gone; static spread all over the room, and voltage flickered and danced madly around the optimum while all gadgets seemed to glare and grumble, suspicious thoughts and senses flying through the wires.

The only one apparently oblivious to all that was Fatso. He scuttled around, bored and completely unaware of the conscious thoughts that traveled in all those wires that were always tripping him. He sniffed at his food, at the bottle of water, and concluded that there was nothing good for eating or drinking there. Blinking lights, though, always made him remember food. He darted towards them, the fact that they belonged to a Wii console already buried in forgetfulness.

Slimmo was jolted out of its slumber by a most annoying voltage peak, which disoriented it quite a bit. It had barely the time to register Fatso's teeth sinking into a fat cable before its circuits went haywire.

Roger came back just in time to see Fatso's head glowing a most baleful green while he munched on one of the cables connecting a couple peripherals to the computer. With a shout, he grabbed the mouse by its scruff with all the intention of throwing it out of the window. However, the moment his fingers connected to Fatso's neck, he let go with a yelp.

Roger did not know what stunned him more -- the powerful shock he had received from the apparently innocent mouse, or the auto-immolation of the same... starting from the head and finishing at his tail.

Roger blinked, and immediately went to his computer to take note of the scene -- it had given him just the best of inspirations for a scene at the game. Then he changed the ruined cables, checked to confirm there was no harm done anywhere, and went on to work on his new idea.

~~~~~~

OOC: Night phase -- specials, send targets please!

Roger was fast asleep, and so tired that an earthquake would probably fail to wake him up.

In the workroom, there was a sudden flare as a live wire connected to Typex. Somehow, enough energy was sent into his metal parts to bend and partially melt many of its components. Gasps were almost heard as the other gadgets turned their horrified thoughts and senses to the corner where Typex used to sit.

The sad remains of the ruined typewriter shocked most of the gadgets into silence. It had been such a quiet, yet pleasant, gadget, that nobody could really believe that it was gone. Nobody, except for one of them.

The lights on the Wii suddenly started flickering madly, accompanied by a cackling laughter buzzing through the wires.

"Wiiiii ... heheheeee. Death, death! They're all going to die, and then... THEN!! Then I'll show them! Or, wait ... I'll have already shown them. Anyway, I'll, like, have the world! Because with the practice I got here, and the practice in all those games that the stupid computer made me beg for every time, it'll be a piece of cake.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiii."

Almost as an afterthought, another shock went through the wires, causing little wisps of smoke to come from the computers power supply unit.

"There. That'll teach you not to make me beg. Wiiii!"

~~~~~~~~

OOC. Thank you Vene for writing the end post with me! Check OOC for details...