The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the Pen Members who are mothers, grand mothers, or just spend a lot of time taking care of children.

In honor of the day I thought I'd celebrate in a proper Pen fashion by sharing a little story of my own mother and invite you to do the same

To this day, none of my family can actually remember what the fight was about. Knowing the frugal attitude of my father and my mother's need to keep her family happy no matter the cost, money might not be a bad guess. Suffice it to say that my parents were arguing and us kids were upset by this. It was late at night, we were already in our pajamas for bed, and we were steadily bawling. I must have been 7 or 8 at the time.

Luckily my parents never escalated beyond yelling and after a while my dad went up to his room in a huff. Needless to say, this isn't how most happy family memories start, but i guess were not that ordinary a family.

Like I said we were all crying and my mom doesn't like to see her kids cry so she ordered us to put on our shoes and get into the car. That surprised us, we were still in our PJs and it was dark outside, which equals very late to our younger selves.

Before long we were pulling into the parking lot of Baskin Robbins where the four of us and our mother enjoyed ice cream, still in our PJs, talking xcitedly about how late we got to stay up (of course if Baskin Robbins was still open, i suppose it couldnt have been that late) Not one of us will ever forget that day when my mom broke all the rules just to get us ice cream

Thanks Mom for that and everything else that you do