The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Question for the Admin Group

Sparhawk

I ask this question specifically to the Admin group since I know at least one of you knows the answer to my question since it has been done here on "The Pen".

How do I create sub forums in a PHP Environment? I have Admin access to the site that I need to do this for, but I don't see the option in the Admin options anywhere, so since I've seen it done here on "The Pen" in a couple places, I was wondering if maybe one of you Admins could enlighten me on how to do this?

Hey!

Here's the method to do it under Invision Powerboard software - results and milage may vary depending on differences in the backend layout, but it might give you an idea of where to look in your board software.

1) Login to the administrator control panel

2) Click on the Management tab in the upper-left corner

3) Click on 'Manage Forums', the first link on the sidebar to the left. This link should already be selected, however.

3) The right pane will now list the layout of your forums, with three tabs along the top - 'Show All', 'Create New Forum' and 'Show Moderator Options'. Click 'Create New Forum'

4) The 'Basic Settings' field includes options for the forum's name, it's description, and its parent forum. By default, the parent forum is Root, making it a new forum. If you set the Parent Forum for one of the already created forums, it will become a sub-forum of that forum.

The rest of the settings depend on what you're doing with the forum - organization of posts, who can access it and the like. When you're done, hit create and it should appear. Let me know if this helps, or if not I'll see if I can do some internet research to help you out. :)

ofcourse, as gyr pointed out, that's the way it works for Invision software. Other pieces of forum software need not necesarilly support this, so if you still can't find it, find out what software you're using.

Or, if you're really the programming guy and just running home-scripted PHP, typed entirely in notepad, I can probably just wish you luck, as I doubt there are much people here who can help you then, apart from Patrick, I suspect :P