The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Jenna's Nightdream

Chapter One

“Dragons, fairies, queens, kings, and knights its all crap. Just a bunch of old stories and tales that never happened. My mothers used to put me to bed reading me those stories.” Jenna snarled.

“So you hate them because you hate her? That’s not very fair to the stories or to your mother, Jenna.” Elizabeth commented carefully re-shelving the shipment of fantasy novels.

“I hate the stories because they aren’t real, I hate her because … well there are to many reasons to count.” Jenna dropped into one of the leather chairs in the reading corner of the fantasy section.

“Jenna you need to get over this thing with your mother. She was good to you. You never wanted for anything when you were growing up.”

“Her figurines were always more important than me or my sister.”

“Is that why you walked away when you were sixteen? Because you didn’t think you measured up?” Elizabeth asked continuing to stock her favorite section of the bookstore.

“I couldn’t stand it.” Jenna told her, “She made sure that those fantasy things were always taken care of that’s more than I can say about me or my sister.”

The overhead sound system crackled to life, “Jenna La’Masters you have a telephone call, line two.”

Jenna stood up slowly, “Be back in a minute.” She headed over to the service desk. Taking a deep breath she picked up the phone. “Jenna La’Masters, how can I help you?”

It took a moment for the voice on the other end of the line. “Jenna…” the single word nearly broke Jenna’s heart.

“Kelly?” Jenna asked wondering what her sister wanted. She waited as Kelly tried to compose herself.

“What time do you get off work?” Jenna could hear the tears in her sister’s voice.

“Six-thirty, why?” she asked, her eyes wandering over the bookstore that was rapidly taking over her life.

“I need you to meet me at Lee, Michaels and Jefferson.” Kelly told her.

“Mother’s lawyer, why?” she was starting to think something was very wrong.

“It’s been a hard week. Mother passed away on Monday.”

“Why didn’t you call me sooner. It’s Friday, she’s been gone almost a week.” Jenna snapped her eyes finding Elizabeth among the shelves.

“You haven’t spoken to mother since the day you walked out. I didn’t think you cared.” Kelly answered.

“She was my mother too. I may not have liked the way she lived, but I did still love her. How did she die?”

Kelly took a deep breath, “It was cancer.”

Jenna couldn’t think, “I’ll be at the lawyer’s.” she mumbled. Memories of her mother fighting cancer when she was growing up filled her mind. She hung up the telephone without thinking about it.

Jenna was just standing at he counter staring at the phone when Elizabeth stepped up. “What’s wrong?” she asked, “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“What? No it was my sister. She needs me at our mother’s lawyer tonight. Seems my mother finally lost her battle with cancer.” even as she said the words they still didn’t feel real.

Elizabeth reached out and hugged her friend, “I’m sorry. Feel free to take a few days off if you need too. Thomas and I can manage without you for a few days.”

“I don’t need time off, just need to deal with the lawyer. I can do that tonight after work.” Jenna continued, not really thinking about what her mother’s passing on meant.

“Ok, just remember we’re here if you need us.” Elizabeth said stepping away. “What do you think will happen at the lawyer’s tonight?”

“Mother’s estate will be split up and Ms. Kelly will finally get what she wants.” Jenna growled. Her sister had followed in their mother’s footsteps after the death of their father. Jenna knew Kelly would be inheriting most of the estate.

“I wish there was something I could do to help. Do you want me to do with you tonight?” she asked.

“No, I can handle it. I’ll call you when I get home.” Jenna smiled. She picked up her purse and headed toward the book of the bookstore. She walked slowly to her car, feeling numb to her bones. As she reached the driver’s door of the car her control broke. Pain slammed into her chest and she dropped to her knees. “She’s gone… after all these years she’s finally gone.” the words were ripped from her as tears poured down her face.

“Jenna, are you ok?” a masculine voice asked from behind her.

She looked up, “Max, she’s gone.” her head dropped into her hands as the last of her strength faded.

Max knelt down in the street beside her. “What’s wrong? What happened?” he wrapped his arms around her, needing to give comfort as much as he needed it himself at seeing her hurting. He was confused, “Elizabeth, did something happen to Elizabeth?”

Jenna swallowed hard, “No, she’s fine. It’s my mother.” the tears came back in force.

Max was even more confused, as far as he knew she had seen or spoken to her mother in almost fifteen years. “Ok sweetie, how about I help you out of the street and you explain what happened.” he helped her stand up. Together they made their way to a bench on the sidewalk. He sat down beside her.

“Kelly called a few minutes ago.” she swallowed slowly, “My mother passed away last Monday. Kelly needs me at the lawyers tonight.” she dropped her head back into her hands. “I might not have liked her, but she was my mother and I loved her.” the words were ripped from her as her sobs were slowly as Jenna began to regain control of herself.

“Do you want me to take you to the lawyer’s?” Max asked having a feeling she needed him.

“I don’t want you to, but I also know I can’t handle it by myself. Not feeling like this.” she mumbled softly knowing Max had always been there for her. She stood up, turning back to look at him. “Where are you parked? Or do you just want to take my car?”

“We can take your car. What law office do we need?” Max asked as they approached the car.

“Lee, Michaels, and Jefferson. They’re over on 18th Avenue.” she answered opening her car door.

Max climbed into the drivers seat and waited while Jenna climbed in. “Ok, just sit back and relax. We should be there in a few minutes.” He started the car and turned the radio to a classical station.

Max drove carefully to the law office, parking in the underground lot. ”I want to say thanks Max. you are a good friend.” she smiled climbing out of the car and taking a deep breath.

Max climbed out and walked with her to the elevator. “What floor do we need sweetie?” he asked pushing the call button.

“Six, suite six-ten.” the elevator doors swooped open. They walked in and the doors slid shut behind them. She pushed the button for the sixth floor. “I haven’t seen my sister in so long… I don’t know how she’s going to handle seeing me.”

Max smiled, “She called you to let you know what was going on. That should mean something.” he told her.

“I guess, but she waited almost a week. She waited until after they buried her.” she was about to say more as the door opened. They walked slowly down the hallway to the door of the office. Jenna reached out and opened the door. Her heart clenched in her chest as she saw her sister. “Kelly…” the word was torn from her. A moment later Kelly was running into her arms.

Jenna , I missed you.” the two of them hugged. “I’m sorry I waited. You should have been there.” she held onto Jenna with everything in her. “How am I going to handle things?”

Jenna pulled back with a sad smile, “You don’t, we do.” she took her sister’s hand and walked back to the chairs where Kelly had been sitting. “So Mr. Michaels I’m assuming this is about mother’s will.”

The man sitting behind the desk had a sad smile on his face. “Yes, that’s why I asked to have both of you here. This isn’t going to set well with either of you.” he shook his head as he looked down at the file on his desk.

“Why do you say that?” Kelly asked glancing at her sister.

The lawyer looked from sister to sister, “Let me read what your mother wrote and you will both understand.” he answered turning the page in the file. “it’s a very simple will, written in her words and by her hand. My name is Jennifer Ann La’Masters, I am of sound mind and body. This is my last will and testament. I here by leave my estate as follows. I leave the New York townhouse to my daughter Kelly along with the money in her college fund. To my daughter Jenna I leave the prize of my collection, a crystal and sandstone castle, along with the house in Eagletown. The remainder of my estate will be divided equally between the Castle Restoration Association and the Association for Historical Re-enactments. I love both of you girls very much. I pray that you understand what I have done and why.” Mr. Michaels read carefully, he looked at Jenna and then at Kelly, “Are there any questions?”

Kelly looked from the lawyer to her sister, “I don’t have any questions. This comes as no surprise to me.”

Jenna just sat there, “Nothing that woman does surprises me anymore. Are we done here?” her words were angry but she was trying to hold it in check.

Mr. Michaels looked at her knowing she was angry. “Yes, I’ll have the paperwork for the house here in Eagletown ready by the end of the week. I’ll give you a call. Just one more question, do you know what you want o do with the place?”

She stood up, “I think I’ll most likely rent it out once I pack up everything for auction.” she was calming down slowly. Max smiled, he knew this wasn’t going to be easy for her. He took her hand and lead her out of the office.

“Why would she have left you the castle? She had to know how you would react to it.” Max asked as they walked back toward the elevator.

“She wanted you to have the pride of her collection. She was proud of you and what you have done with your life.” the words came from Kelly just as the doors slid open. The three of them stepped into the elevator.

“Just get everything that isn’t mine out of the house before you head back to New York. Leave the damn castle at my place.” Jenna smiled.

The elevator stopped at the first level of the parking garage. Jenna and Max stepped out leaving Kelly to go on down to her car. As the doors closed behind them Max turned to Jenna, “She left you the house you grew up in.”

Jenna kept walking until she reached her car, “And that damn castle. You know out of all her figurines it was the only one she would never let me near.” she opened the passenger door and climbed in. Max climbed into the drivers side.

“Any idea why?”

“Nope. No more than why she would leave me the thing.” she relaxed as Max pulled out of the parking spot. He headed back toward her apartment. They drove the few miles in silence other than the soft music from the radio.

Max smiled as he pulled to a stop in her parking place. “Home safe and sound.” he turned off the engine and handed her the keys.

“Thank you Max. Would you like to come in for awhile?” she asked trying not to tremble.

“sure. I have a few minutes, “ he smiled. They walked up to the door of her apartment. She opened the door and stepped inside. Jenna never slowed down as she headed into the living room. Her feet coming to a dead stop as her eyes landed on the box sitting innocently on the coffee table. Max had followed her in after closing the door. “What’s in the box?” he asked following her gaze.

“I don’t know. Looks like something from my sister.” she smiled with a sadness in her eyes. She reached out picking up the box. Her hands were shaking as she worked open the top of the box. Her breath came in a gasp as she moved the tissue paper to reveal the castle figurine tucked carefully into the box.

“Is something wrong Jenna?” he asked watching the color fade from her face. He grabbed the box moments before it would have fallen from her fingers.

“It’s the castle. I’ve never seen it outside of the showcase mother had it in. Not even when she moved to New York with Kelly.” she dropped to the couch as tears began to fall again. “She’s really gone. What am I going to do?” she couldn’t take her eyes off the box in his hands. She watched as he took the castle out of the box and placed it in her lap.

“It’s beautiful.” he whispered watching her eyes as they filled with a sadness much deeper than just loosing her mother. There was a hint of fear behind that sadness.

“That it always was. I’ve never touched it. I’ve never even seen it without it being behind glass.” she commented reaching out to touch the smoothly polished sandstone. As her skin made contact with the stone she felt a strange calmness settle over her. The light began to fade as she slipped back against the back of the couch. The last thing she heard as Max’s voice in a quiet whisper.

“Trust us. Everything is as it should be."

Chapter Two

Warm, soft, and quiet. Those were the first things she noticed as Jenna began to come awake. Her eyes came open and fear slammed deep into her heart. She wasn’t in her own bed. The bed was too big and too fancy. “Miss La’Masters, you are awake?” the voice was hesitant as it spoke breaking the peaceful silence.

Jenna’s voice was far from steady as she replied, “Do I know you?”

The curtain around the bed suddenly opened letting in the bright sun light. “Miss, are you feeling all right?” the question came from a young woman dressed in a medieval style peasants outfit.

Jenna looked around, her head swimming with confusion, “I don’t know. Things seem strange.” she told the young woman wondering who she was.

“Do you know who you are?” the young woman asked with a strange smile.

Jenna stared at the woman for a moment, “That is such a strange question.” her words seemed strange even to herself. “I’m Jenna La’Masters. I own half of a bookstore in Eagletown, Mass. Just outside of Salem.” the words flowed with a power of their own.

The young woman smiled, “We thought this might have happened. You’ve been very sick Miss Jenna. You’ve been with fever for nearly a fortnight.” she stepped closer bringing with her a small dipper of water. Without thinking Jenna took it and drank deeply.

“How can that be? What about Elizabeth, Max, even my sister? Are they safe?” worry filled her hear and mind.

Again the young woman smiled, “Miss Lizzy is fine. She is at home with her husband Thomas. Your sister is off at the university, and Mr. Maxwell is sleeping. He’s been sitting with you since the fever took you. When it broke last night he felt he might be able to get some sleep.”

“What happened? Why did he stay with me?” Jenna asked sitting up holding the blanket to her chest.

“Miss Jenna. The fever must have played with your mind. Mr. Maxwell is your husband. Why would he not sit with you?”

“I’m sorry. Now I am really confused, I’m not married. He and I are friends, but I own half the bookstore with Elizabeth.” Jenna explained, “I’m sorry but what is your name?”

The young woman burst into laughter, “But Miss Jenna you’ve known me all my life. It’s Rebekah. You asked my mother if I could come work for you early last year.” she put the water dipper back in its bucket and turned toward the heavy wooden door across the room. “Let me fetch the doctor. See if he can make sense of what has happened.” she slipped out of the room as Jenna sat in the bed trying to take in what was happening. It wasn’t more than a few minutes before Rebekah was back with a man in a nice suit in tow.

“She’s not right Dr. Michaels. She has things confused.” Rebekah said as the man stepped up to the edge of the bed.

“How are you feeling Miss Jenna?” he asked reaching out and gently taking hold of her wrist.

“I’m fine. I’m just wondering about the rest of you. What is happening here?” she asked staring at the man she knew as a lawyer. Something was very wrong.

He smiled at her, “The fever has affected you powerfully. You need to relax and heal.” he let go and turned to Rebekah, “go wake Maxwell. I believe seeing her husband will help Miss Jenna.” Rebekah’s smile was sad as she slipped back out of the bedchamber. It was only moments later that the door opened and Maxwell stepped into the room.

Jenna’s eyes lit up at the sight of her friend, “Max, tell me you remember.” the words were out before she could even try to hold them back.

He walked up to the edge of the bed and placed his hand on her arm. “Remember what love? It’s so good to see you doing better.” he told her leaning down and brushing his lips over her cheek.

Jenna just stared at him. “When did we get married?” the question was no more than a whisper on the breeze blowing in the room.

Maxwell looked into her eyes, “Nearly a year ago now. Is there anything you do remember love?”

Jenna pulled her hand away. This wasn’t the Max she knew. She was starting to get scared. “I remember the bookstore, the lawyer’s office, my mother dying, and you coming up to my apartment.” she whispered. Her heart filling with fear.

“Jenna love, there is no bookstore, and your mother is fine. She lives in the house to the north that I built for her when we got married.” Maxwell tried to explain.

Jenna curled up and looked from face to face in the room. Nothing was the way it should be. Nothing felt right. “Max. I just want to be alone.” she whispered turning away from them. She laid there waiting foe everyone to leave. As thoughts raced through her mind she began to go over what she knew. Things were strange, but her mind couldn’t find anything to grasp. She faded off to sleep hoping things would make more sense when she woke up.

She could hear someone singing softly as she woke up a few hours later. Carefully turning over her gaze landed on a young woman sitting in the chair at the head of her bed. “Who are you?” Jenna asked knowing the answer wouldn’t make her feel any better.

The young woman smiled, “They said you didn’t know what was happening.” her eyes misted, “Maxwell said that you were confused and asked me to sit with you. It’s just after sunset.”

Jenna shook her head, “Nothing is right here.” she turned back over her eyes catching the full moon through the open window. As she stared at it a peacefulness settled over her, and darkness filled her mind.

Chapter Three

“Jenna are you ok?” Max asked lightly shaking her shoulder. “Jenna…”

She opened her eyes and blinked rapidly, “Max? Is that really you?” she sat up quickly not noticing as the sandstone castle fell from her lap onto the floor.

“What do you mean? Jenna are you feeling ok? You sound really strange.” Max reached down and picked the castle up placing it on the table.

She looked around the room soaking in the familiarity of the things there. “I’m ok, I must have fallen asleep. I had the strangest dream.” she watched Max turn back to her “Don’t worry about it, it was just a strange dream.”

“If you say so. Did you want me to make you something to eat?” he asked standing up and turning toward the kitchen.

“Tea would be nice.” she whispered softly staring at the castle on the table. Just looking at the thing gave her a strange feeling, it always had.

“Ok. I’ll be back out in a few. Try to relax.” he told her stepping into the kitchen. He glanced back at the living room wondering what she had dreamed. He took his time making tea and decided to fix himself a sandwich to go with it.

While she waited for Max and the tea Jenna sat staring at the castle. The feeling growing both stranger and stronger. “Max, have you ever had a dream that was beyond real? One where you didn’t think you were dreaming even after you woke up.” she called out to him.

“Once in awhile. Do you want to talk about it?” he called back pouring tea into cups for the two of them.

“Not yet. I need time. Things are strange. I have to admit it scared me a little.” she told him taking the cup of tea from him as he came back into the living room.

“I’ve had frightening dreams before. I’ll be here if and when you want to talk. I make a very good listener.” he sat down beside her, his eyes catching on the castle. “What’s that thing’s story?” he asked shrugging at the castle.

Jenna glared at the figurine, “That thing spent most of my life sitting on a shelf behind a glass door. My mother never let me or my sister near it. She always said it was special. I don’t ever remember seeing her touch it.” without thinking she picked up the telephone and dialed her sister’s number.

Kelly answered on the second ring, “Hello.”

“Kelly, I have a question for you. Did you already send me the castle that mother left me? I know that sounds cruel, but it was here when I got home.”

There was a moment of silence on the line, “That’s very strange sis. I thought the thing was still in the case in the house in New York.”

“When did you see it last?” Jenna asked looking from Max to the castle.

“It was there when I came home from school. Mother had everything else packed away for her.” Kelly told her sister. “But if you already have the thing I won’t worry about it. The thing still scares the hell out of me.” Kelly said softly.

“Ok. Talk to you later sis.” Jenna answered sweetly. She had never known the castle scared Kelly. She put the phone down and looked at Max. “Kelly didn’t send it. I hate that thing.” she rambled.

“Why?” he picked up the castle again and began to examine it more closely. The castle was a bout six inches square with a crystal sphere at the top of the tallest tower. The castle itself was formed of a single piece of pure sandstone.

“Like I said , Mother treated that thing like it was made of glass instead of stone. It was like there was something wrong with it, like it was poisoned. Almost like it would hurt us.” Jenna told him watching the light play with the crystal.

Max looked up at her, “Why would you think that? If you were never allowed to touch it? What else do you know about it?”

“I know she got it the day I was born. She told me about that day once. She said it arrived at the hospital about an hour after I was born. Said it came with a note. She gave me the note when I turned sixteen. The note was for me. I don’t mean to say that it was addressed to me by name, but it was addressed to the baby born on my birthday.” she explained with a sad smile.

“Sounds interesting. Do you still have the note?” Max asked thinking about the strange feeling he was getting from the castle. The crystal twinkled in the light, he smiled, and set it back down on the table.

Jenna watched as the castle sat there, “I don’t know why I kept the note. The thing and it’s stories never made any sense to me.”

Max was having a difficult time keeping his eyes off the crystal in the top of the castle’s tower, “Can I see it, the note might shed some light on why she left the castle to you.” His mind was playing with thoughts and images that did not belong to him. Images that left an almost metallic taste in his mouth. He watched as she got up and slowly walked out of the room.

It was only a few moments until she was back holding a thin wooden box in her hands, “You know I don’t believe in the super natural right?”

Max smiled. There had been many debates between the two of them on that topic. “I know, but what does that have to do with the note?”

She sat down beside him holding the box in her lap, “the day my mother gave me this letter was one I will never forget. I can’t say what happened was real, but I can say it touched me deeply.” her hands were tracing patterns over the smooth wood of the box’s lid.

Max could feel energy coming from the box and knew the letter inside it was very important. “Tell me about that day. We never talk very much about your past.”

She took a deep breath and looked down at the box she hadn’t opened in years, fear once again gripping her heart. “Mother and I had been fighting for a couple of weeks over everything. The closer it got to my birthday the more we went at it. I overslept on my birthday and missed the bus. It was the last straw for her. I remember her getting really quiet and saying there wasn’t a point in yelling anymore she couldn’t change what was meant to be. She went to her room and brought me out this box. The note was the only thing in it.” she paused and carefully lifted the lid from the box. Reaching in she removed a faded piece of parchment. “Be careful.” was all she said as she handed him the paper.

Tears filled his eyes as they came to rest on the words so carefully written on the page, “Dearest Child, On this the day of your birth the power of ancient magic flows once again on this earth, it flows in your blood. History, past, present, and future shall all depend on the breath in your body. The power within shall call when the need becomes too great. May the strength of those of the old blood be with you always…” the words were familiar to Max, hands shaking he looked for his father’s signature. As his eyes settled on the simple letters forming the name he finally began to understand the feelings he had been having since he was a child. He looked at Jenna, light filling his eyes, “have you ever gotten other letters from this man?”

Jenna looked at him, “Not that I know. Other than the day my mother gave me that note I’ve never heard anything from him.” she took the note back placing it back in the box and closing the lid.

Max just sat there for a few moments without saying anything. When he did speak his voice was wet with tears. “Jenna, what I’m about to tell you is going….” his words were cut short by a strange sound coming from outside. He jumped up and ran to the window, not noticing that Jenna didn’t move. His eyes searched the front of the house for anything out of place that could be making the horrible scraping sound. He found nothing out of place, that is until he turned back toward Jenna and saw the castle on the table between them. The crystal sphere caught his attention as the light played with it casting shadows across its surface.

Chapter Four

“Max…What?” Jenna asked confused as she looked around the bedchamber.

Maxwell stood up and stepped closer to where she lay in the bed. “Yes my love, might I get you something?” he asked taking her hand. “You have been asleep many hours.” The touch of his hand made her feel strange, it felt like Max, but not max. This man was hiding something from her.

Jenna continues to look around, ‘Not again’, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath she looked at the Maxwell she didn’t know. “No thank you. I’m feeling much better. I was hoping that I might be allowed to take a walk out in the gardens.” she told him decided it would be easier to go along with what was happening at least until she could figure things out. Something about the Maxwell here scared her to the very core of her soul.

He smiled brightly, “I shall ask the doctor.” he told her placing her hand back on the edge of the bed. “He should still be downstairs. Won‘t be but a moment.” Maxwell slipped out of the room without another sound leaving Jenna alone with her thoughts.

She laid there looking around what she could see of the room. The bed was still large and surrounded by a set of heavy drapes in a dark velvet. Outside of the drapes there wasn’t much that she could see. Just a small chest, a well stocked writing desk, and a pair of heavy doors on the far wall. The floor wasn’t carpeted, but was covered with a thick fuzzy rug done in shades of red. It was what she had always wanted to have as her bedroom. She could think of many times where she talked to her sister and her best friend Elizabeth about what she would have if she could design a room like this. She was wondering if this was some kind of bad dream or something. The thought of the bad dream she could deal with, it was the or something that worried her. She had never believed in anything supernatural, but it was getting harder and harder to not to believe. Things were just too strange to be natural.

It wasn’t but a few minutes before he was back, with the doctor in tow. “Maxwell tells me you wish to step out for a walk. I think it might do you a bit of good.” the doctor told her with a smile, “but only for a short time. We can’t have you having a spell while you are outside.” the Doctor touched her arm, in hopes of offering some comfort to her.

She smiled sweetly, “Only a few minutes. I need to get out of this room for a few minutes.” Jenna was hoping things might make more sense if she could get outside.

The doctor smiled, “Maxwell you be sure to stay with her.” he reached out to help her stand up.

She shivered as Maxwell took her hand and started toward the door. As they passed the coat-hook she grabbed her velvet cloak, slipping it over her shoulders. “Thank you for walking with me.” Jenna told him as they made their way through the doors and into the rose gardens.

“It’s my pleasure to spend time with my wife. I’ve been worried about you lately.” Maxwell smiled as they slowly wandered along the pebble-stone paths. Roses had always been Jenna’s passion in life. They came to a seating area with a large shade tree and Jenna decided to rest for a moment. She sat down, taking a moment to look around at the amazing range of colors in the garden. The flowers were perfect, the garden was just as she had always imagined it to be. Everything in this place seemed to come straight out of her own mind. Maxwell looked at her making her wonder again what he knew about what was going on. His eyes seemed oddly sad.

Jenna leaned back and looked up at the walls surrounding the garden. “How can things be so messed up?” she mumbled softly. Her eyes followed the wall until the corner where it met with the house. The stones looked as if they had been hand carved. Almost as if someone had taken the time to cut each ridge and shadow in them with a chisel. Her eyes caught on a small crystal figure set in the stone. Her mind began to get fuzzy as she looked at it. The garden started to go dark just as Maxwell sat down and put his arm around her.

Chapter Five

“Jenna,” Max’s voice cut through the fog in her mind. She opened her eyes to find her apartment going dark as the sun began to set.

“What happened?” she asked looking around again. “That is getting very irritating. I wish I knew what was going on.” She sat there looking around trying to find a way to hold onto the present.

“You keep blacking out Jenna. What do you see when you go away like that?” Max asked.

“I wish I could explain better. This time I was walking in a rose garden. It seems so real. Some times it scares me.” She told him suddenly realizing that she was shaking. This time the fear was bone deep. “Max, do you know what’s going on? These visions can’t be normal.” she took a deep breath. Somehow she needed to figure out what the visions meant, before something went wrong.

“I have an idea, but I don’t know how to find out for sure.” Max responded. His thoughts going to the stories his father had told him when he was growing up. The room faded slightly as the memory played in his mind.

There was a woman born long ago with the power to be both here and there, both now and then. She was told that she would hold the key to save her family. She was the only one that could make things right.

The words were as powerful in memory as they had been the day his father said them to him the first time.

“What do you know?” Jenna asked watching as emotions played across his eyes.

“My father used to tell me about a story he heard as a boy. It was about a young woman who could shift in time. She was destined to save her family. Her family and the family of another soul.” he told her as the panic began to fade away.

“I don’t believe in fairytales Max, you know that.” problem was the images she had seen were still strong and vivid in her mind.

“you’ve told me that since the day we met, but what else can all this be?” he asked becoming more and more convinced she was the woman his father had told him about.

Jenna glared at him, “I don’t know, but I refuse to believe any of this is real.” she snapped, “If you want to keep trying to tell me it is you can get your coat and get out.”

“But Jenna….”

“No buts, back off or get out.” Jenna snapped, her anger nearly getting the better of her.

Max knew that he wasn’t going to win this one. “I’ll go for now, but when you want to talk you have my number.” he told her as he walked toward the front door. “I’m sorry if I’ve made you angry.” he pulled the door shut behind him.

Jenna sat there getting angrier as his words began to sink in and make more sense. “Why does everyone believe in fairytales?” she asked the empty room. There was no answer. Her eyes were resting on the castle figurine. Again she questioned the room, “what do you have to do with this?” she picked up the figure expecting something to happen, nothing did. Jenna turned the castle over in her hands. Something felt strange as she sat there, The room began to fade before her eyes again, only this time Jenna fought it. She focused not on the castle in her hands but on the city scene she could see through her window. The pull was strong, nearly stronger than she could fight. Slowly the room came back into focus. “You won’t take me again.” she growled putting the castle down.

The phone rang just as her fingers released the castle. She answered it on the second ring. “Hello?”

“Ms. La’Masters, my name is Robert Williams. I own an estate about eighty miles outside of the city.” the masculine voice responded.

“Do I know you?” she asked.

Robert coughed, “No, but I know about you. I know that your mother passed away recently. I know she sent you a package you didn’t want, and I know that you are scared.” he pushed forward.

“What do you want with me?” she asked not trusting the voice on the phone.

“I want to help you.” he told her. “I know what’s happening to you. I know how to stop it.”

Jenna wasn’t about to trust a person she didn’t know. At least not about the visions she was having. “I don’t think you can help me Mr. Williams. I wish you a good day.” she hung up the phone wondering what was going on. She looked at the phone thinking about calling her sister.

“No, I think you should just lay down and relax.” the voice came from all around her.

Jenna’s eyes scanned the room, nothing was out of place. “Who are you?” she screamed.

Laughter filled her mind, “You don’t need to yell. I can hear you just fine.”

Fear filled her heart, “I said who are you, and what do you want?” she snapped, her voice quieter, but still tight with fear and anger.

“Who I am doesn’t matter, as for what I want… that you will have to wait and see. Now get yourself into bed and relax.” the voice commanded.

Jenna’s fear was rapidly turning into frustration. She started to stand up. She was getting ready to leave by putting her shoes on when she felt something brush her shoulder. She screamed, unable to control herself. A moment later she found herself laying on the bed in her room. Her arms and legs felt so heavy she couldn’t move them. “Damn it. What the hell is going on here?” she demanded of the voice, she was suddenly more angry with than afraid of.

“I need you. You have to finish what was started. My time is running out.” the voice was trying to be comforting, but it was failing.

Jenna fought to stay awake, “What are you talking about?” the heaviness in her limbs was spreading through the rest of her body.

“I don’t have time to explain this to you. Just relax and do what needs to be done.” A warmth flooded over her taking the choice away. The darkness pulled her in. Her last fighting thought was of Max and the secret he was keeping from her.

My friend you have a wonderful story being created here!!! I love the character, the detail!! I'm not to well when it comes to grammar and spelling so I cannot help you with that, I’m sorry. However I do love that past and present come together, it seems that is what you are doing anyway. I like that Jenna is not quickly to believe in what is going on, that she is defiant, her reactions are well done. Max seems to be... I think his character needs to be a bit more developed, I'm not getting too much of who he is, but I think it's a good start I would like to see more of Max's character latter on. As far as improvement, I would say, "I would really like to know what is happening!!!" then again it is a story and everything cannot be revealed just yet. I don't see anything that you need to work on as of right now besides Max, like I said. My mane thing is that you and I seem to have similarities in our writing style, I like that a lot!!! I can relate to what you are saying/writing, I can read it very easily and I enjoy doing so. I hope I have helped you, I'm not sure if I did. If you have any specific questions on a paragraph or something you would like for me to look at by all means tell me and I'll do what I can for you my friend.

Chapter Six

“Jenna love…” Maxwell called to her as he touched her shoulder. “We need to get you back inside. Things have been starting to worry me.” he was standing in front of where she was sitting on the bench.

She smiled, “I’m fine. I was just lost in thought. I’m sorry if I frightened you.” she said quickly, not wanting to go back inside.

“Jenna you’ve been sitting there more than an hour. I don’t think you should have come out here.” Maxwell told her tugging lightly on her hand.

“An hour.” she whispered letting him help her up. They walked slowly back into the house. Jenna let him lead her into the bedchamber.

The doctor was waiting next to the bed with a sad look on his face. “How did your walk go?” he asked as she climbed back into her bed.

Jenna was about to answer, but Maxwell spoke first, “She had another spell.” his worry could be heard very clearly.

The doctor looked closely at her. “How are you feeling?” he asked taking her hand.

"I'm feeling fine." she smiled sadly, her mind drifting back to the crystal in the wall outside. Something about that crystal was bothering her. "I just got lost in my own thoughts while sitting outside I guess."

He looked from her to the door, to Maxwell "Might I have a few minutes alone with her?" he asked.

"Certainly, I'll go down and see about getting us some tea." Maxwell responded.

As he stepped out of the room the doctor looked back at Jenna, "There is not much I am allowed to tell you, but know this if you do not succeed we are all in terrible danger." the words were whispered.

Her eyes snapped from the door Maxwell had just stepped through to the troubled face of the doctor. "What's wrong?" she asked growing more frightened with every passing moment.

"I don't know just how to tell you this, but it would seem that nothing is as it appears to you. There are many things that you do not know an he is not willing to tell you. The only information that I can give you is that you have to fight, and you have to win or everything we have done will be for nothing..." he started to continue but there was suddenly a sound outside the door and his face went white. He looked down at the floor just as the door opened and a young man about 13 or 14 stepped through it.

The young man stepped up next to the bed where she was laying. "Miss Jenna. How are you feeling?" he asked keeping his voice soft and kind.

"I am fine, seems I've been causing a stir around here. For that I am sorry." she told the boy watching his eyes dance with the laughter of being a young man with secrets of his own.

A strange sadness slipped into his eyes, "I have been worried about you." his words brought more comfort than anything she had heard since this all started.

Jenna took a deep breath, she was hoping that she was doing the right thing. She reached out and touched the young man's arm. Without warning her vision clouded and the room went dark.

As the darkness faded she realized that she was again trapped in a vision that was not reality as she knew it. She was nolonger laying in her bed, but was sitting in what she knew must be the main dinning hall of the castle. Maxwell was standing over her talking to the group gathered in front of them. She couldn't hear what he was saying but that didn't seem to matter. Suddenly he turned and with a smile that turned her stomach slashed her across the face with a jeweled dagger. The vision faded away as quickly as it had come leaving her breathless and more than a little frightened. She turned her eyes back to the young man who's arm her hand was still laying on. "What....?" she couldn't find the words to ask the questions racing through her mind.

His smile was sad, "You saw what will happen if you fail." the words were clipped and short. "I do not want that to happen, so please listen to u and do what we say to help you. First do not trust Maxwell."

Jenna put her hand up to stop the flow of words. She was too confused to know what to think. "Max or Maxwell?" the question spilled out of her.

The boy, she couldn't place his name, smiled. "Maxwell, the man here. If you get to slip back to that other place you have to trust Max. I know that none of this makes any sense, but believe me when I tell you I am not trying to hurt or confuse you. I want just what the man you love at home wants. We want you to be safe and happy. But that can not happen unless you succeed here in doing what needs to be done to stop Maxwell." he explained glancing again to the door. "I have to go for now, he is coming back, and I can not be seen by him." he stood quickly and slipped away through a doorway that she hadn't noticed before.

OMG!!!! Such a twist on things I like it very much so!!! Is Max good or evil? We may never know!!! ^_^ And who is that kid that walked in there? How does he know everything? I wish to read more!!! I wish to know!!! You are doing a wonderful job my friend, please keep up the good work, my mind is going crazy with questions that need to be answered!!! ^_____________^