The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The "F" Word

Salinye

**Thanks to Gyrfalcon for helping me with how his character would respond.** :0)

Salinye walked along the outskirts of the hostel property next to the forest edge with a large picnic basket floating along behind her. She took her time enjoying the warmth of the sun on her face. If fur face was right, Gyrfalcon should be along here shortly on one of his regular border patrols. Daryl usually knew where the ranger was, so she had no reason to doubt that she would happen upon her dear friend very soon. Her thoughts were rewarded as she saw his horse in the distance. By now, she knew is stance upon his horse even from a far distance. His half elven eyes had spotted her too and evidently he knew it was her because he urged his horse into a gallop and within seconds was jumping off of his horse. “Salinye! How long have you been back?” He asked smiling happy to see her after so much time apart.

She ran up and embraced him in a warm hug. “Not too long. I came out to find you as soon as I could. Are you busy?” He pulled back from their hug and noticed the picnic basket floating behind her.

“Nothing I can’t put off until later.” He offered his hand then helped her up onto his mount then skillfully climbed on behind her. “Shall we picnic at the pond?”

“And you say you’re not a mind reader.” She smiled as the horse took them to their favorite picnic area not needing to be guided there. They chatted in friendly conversation excited to see each other after one of Salinye’s long journeys away. After a short while they reached what appeared to be a vine covered wall. The mage lifted her palm to it and whispered some words beneath her breath. The mirage obeyed its creator and parted to let them walk through. Inside was a lush clearing the centerpiece of which was a crystal clear pond. Once inside the area, one could feel the peaceful buzz of magic that permeated the air. Many a happy hour had been spent here when the two friends wished to get away from the hustle and bustle of life at Pen Castle or Custos Manor.

After enjoying the homemade meal that Salinye had packed, the two relaxed enjoying the quiet comfort of their friendship. The ranger leaned back against a cozy moss covered rock and salinye lay upon the grass her head resting on the rangers leg. “So where were you this time or great wizardess?” Gyrfalcon asked with a slight hint of teasing in his voice.

“Oh, you know I can never tell.” She retorted. “I missed you, though and everyone else at Pen Castle.”

“You were missed too. You should come back more often.”

“Yes….” Her voice trailed off as if she would have followed her response up with further explanation but changed her mind. The ranger knew her too well, it didn’t escape his attention.

He gently stroked her hair absent mindedly. “Something bothering you, Sal? You know you can always talk to me.”

“I know, GyrE. It’s just that I’ve actually been thinking about us a lot lately.”

Gyrfalcon raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

“Yes.”

He chuckled slightly. “…and something about these thoughts has you bothered?”

She crinkled her eyebrows trying to form her thoughts into words. “Not really bothering me, more well, you know how our relationship has always been an undefined confusing one.”

“Sure.” He replied surprised that she could have this conversation without her standard blushing and awkwardness.

“It’s just that I’ve become really, really comfortable with you like this.”

He chuckled at her again. “Again, and this is a bad thing?”

She couldn’t help but laugh herself. “No it’s just that…I don’t think I’m confused anymore.”

“Well after two years that’s a good thing.” He replied.

“I have a lot to thank you for, GyrE. I’ve been so lost…still am in so many respects.”

“Yes, but we rangers are good trackers.”

She couldn’t help but smirk. “Yes, you’ve helped me find much of myself and helped me make Pen Castle as much of a home as I’ve had in years. However, I still feel really…well lost. It’s occurred to me that I really need to finish healing past scars before I can open myself up anymore than this to anyone. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate how close our friendship is and that I’ve found that I’m content with it just as it is. How do you feel about that?”

Gyrfalcon studied her face, expression serious for once. "I love you, Salinye." he said simply. "Maybe not the way I thought I once would, but as one of my closest and dearest friends."

She tilted her head up to smile fondly at him. “You’re pretty amazing, ranger. Our friendship means a lot to me. I can’t ever see us not close.”

The half-elf grinned "And I'm glad we have this friendship, Salinye."

The two sat in their clearing for a long time sharing their thoughts with one another like they often had over the years or sometimes just sitting in comfortable silence. It had been a long time since the mage had found such comfort and she remained thankful for her special friendship with Gyrfalcon and for the amazing Pen that she finally felt like she could call home.

Edited by Salinye

• 3 weeks later...