The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Item Auction #4

Grinning still she realized she had to put another item up for auctioning, and let go off the quill. It kept floating in midair so everybody could see it, and she giggled as she stepped off the rock onto the starry path towards the booth.

She looked over her list, and wondered what would fit well with a drawing, a wiggly cabbage, and a story. Then she took up Patrick’s travel cloak, and immediately felt her own clothes getting soaked.

She looked down her wet shirt and sighed, magical items were brilliant, but sometimes they needed special precautions. She held the travel cloak further away from her body, and walked back to the auction stand. There Sweetcherrie spread it out so people could have a good look.

”The last item up for auction at this moment is a travel cloak. Patrick told me that it would keep you dry and warm in all weather, and that it would keep you safe during sleeping, I guess that’s mainly when you’re wearing it…”

She looked down at her own wet clothes again, and wished that the stars she saw were actually giving off some heat. Then she got an idea, and put the cloak around her shoulders. Immediately she felt warmer, and she smiled.

“As you can see it fits all, and I can tell you that it does keep you warm. Do I hear 10 geld?”

She turned around to show everybody the cloak, as she waited for the first bid.

With a frown upon her face, and getting slightly dizzy from turning from bidder to bidder, Sweetcherrie swirled towards Gwaihir. A smile spread over her face, and she gave her hammer another swing.

“Right, ten geld from our highly valued nature-loving elf! Come on people, I’m sure I heard someone whisper 15 in the back!”

Having noted her own bid on Gyrfalcon’s story, Sweetcherrie swirled around, and held the cape wide open. She heard a whistle in the back, and looked down. The cape had kept her warm, but it had not dried her clothes yet, and her shirt was sticking in a not so flattering way at her body.

Quickly she closed the cape again, and with a scarlet face she stuttered, “Err….I think I’d like to bid 15 on the cloak….Do I hear more?”

"..."

"I see." Inspector I. M Clueless gives the curves of the rock bidding podium a long hard stare, then jots a note or two on his loaded pad. "Well, if you have nothing to say on the case of the missing detective gear, I suppose I'll simply have to move on. But don't think that I've marked you off of my list of suspects yet."

Clueless turns to depart towards the Pen's Codex and Lists in search of more clues, but stops short as he notices the green cloak that Sweetcherrie displays on the podium. The Inspector tilts his head to examine the item more thoroughly, then raises a hand to his forehead in contemplation.

"Hmmm." Clueless whips out his pad again as he steps closer to the podium. "That green cape would be an excellent way to disguise myself while looking for a cloak to replace my old one. I just hope I'm not narrating my thoughts out loud again."

Sweetcherrie and Patrick both stare at the idiot sleuth with blank expressions.

"Now, if only I could find the 20 geld needed for bidding..."

Edited by Inspector I. M Clueless