The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Item Auction #2

With her hands growing tired Sweetcherrie decided to use the easel to put the empty canvas on for a bit. From the corner of her eyes she saw Wyvern shuffling closer, twitching slightly as he approached her.

“Sssssweetcherrie, I wassss wondering….I don’t think my item…err…the items will get the bids they dessserve this way.”

Sweetcherrie raised an eyebrow, “Oh?”

“Yessss, I jussst saw that Ayshela was still standing all the way on the other side of the carnival grounds, and she might not have time to get here in time to bid on my..err…the itemsss.”

She frowned in reply. Though it was clear the elder lizard was mainly worried about his own geld, he did have a point.

Wyvern rubbed his scaly claws together in greed, “If you would just put my item up there already, bidding can sssstart with 100 geld, you can just leave it open for the full two weeksss.”

“Hmm,” She nodded, more to herself than to the elder “You know what, I’ll auction off 4 items for one week, and then the next 4 the next week, would that give people enough time you think?”

She could see him think about this, it would not give his item the special position he’d been looking for, but it would already give more people the possibility to bid on he items.

“Oh, and Wyvern?”

“Yesss?”

“I’ll start your item at 10 like the others, if that would be ok with you?”

She didn’t wait for an answer, and went off to get Chiroq. The Wiggly Cabbage wiggled happily when he saw her approach, and she chuckled as she picked him up.

“Looking forward to start travelling I assume.”

She took Chiroq to the stand, and stepped up to the stand.

“Listen up people, strategy has changed.

I will item off 4 items during one week, and then the next 4 items during the following week. Each item will still get his own thread and a personal introduction.”

She held up Chiroq so people could see him.

“This is Chiroq, he would like to go travelling, and I think he would make a great travel companion.

Bidding starts at 10 geld, and if you want to meet Chiroq you can visit him at the booth."

With this she carefully stepped down again, and put Chiroq down so people could meet him before they would bid.

Wyvern grumbles and rubs the back of his horns as he considers the 100 geld mahogony marketing campaign that could have been, then perks up as Sweetcherrie displays Chiroq on the bidding rock. The lizard licks his lips and lets his tail swing back and forth, eyeing the cabbage with greedy eyes and listening to the creak of the rickety rock concert chair beneath him.

"Awwwwwwwww, isn't he precious?" Wyvern distorts his eyes to a kawaii state, cooing and clapping his claws together. "I have the perfect home for him. A silver platter, with a little silver roof, next to a spoon and some nice curly onion cheese doodles. Wiggly Cabbage Soup, here I come!"

Gwaihir's jaw drops open just as the rest of the auction audience gasps. All eyes turn towards Wyvern for a moment.

"Oh come on guys, you know I'm kidding." Wyvern winks and begins scrawling his bid on a spare sign. "Wiggly Cabbage Soup is sooooo two Carnivals ago! Rest assured that if I win Chiroq, he'll be transformed into a nice, steaming Wiggly Cabbage Casserole, with plenty of condiments on the side. Heck, I might even end up sharing him with one of the Bachelorettesss... nothing like a hot meal to get her in the mood."

Gwaihir raises a finger to object as Wyvern tosses on his old "Chez Pedro's" bib. The still-spotted sheet contrasts with the grunge leather gear that Wyvern wears in sickening shades of grey.

"Don'tcha worry Gwai." Wyvern raises his sign, revealing a bid of 25 geld. "If I win, Chiroq will not die from neglect... just a combination of boiling water and kitchen knife incisions."

Sweetcherrie blinked, and stared as Wyvern held up his sign waiting for the auction master to call the bid. Did the lizard really just say all that?

“Err..Wyvern?”

“Yah?”

“Nevermind.”

She shook her head, he really meant it.

“25 geld, opening bid from Wyvern, who plans to eat Chiroq…please people, I’m sure one of you can do better! Bid on the poor wiggly cabbage and safe his life! Do I hear 30?”

"Yes!" Patrick shouted from the left hand side, lifting his hand to show who the new bidder was. Chiroq seemed to be a funny little cabbage, and if he could save him from the almost dragonic clutches of Wyvern, then Patrick would try his best.

"And I'll even up the bid to 35 geld!"

Wyvern practically knocks one of the planks of his rickety chair off as he turns his head towards Patrick. The reptilian Elder lets out a low hiss as considers being one-upped by 10 geld, then sighs and leans back in his seat for a moment to gaze up at the milky sea of space. He strokes his chin with a studded glove, then digs into a sack at his side and pulls out a large tome labeled "666 Ways to Skewer a Wiggly Cabbage." Wyvern breezes past recipes for Stuffed Inside-Out Wiggly Cabbage and Extra-Wiggly Cabbage Jello before arriving at the bookmarked page, which offers the ingredients for Wiggly Cabbage Casserole. The overgrown lizard drools at the centerfold image of the casserole, sliced into thin slivers and gouged with skewers of tasty vegetables, a steamy feast of a cabbage. The scratch and sniff circle on the page has been scratched to oblivion, but the smell of the gourmet dish still seems to waft from the numerous claw markings.

"Sssuch a fine cuisine." Wyvern sniffs to himself, then raises another sign. "60 geld, I'm famished!"

Patrick turned to watch the reptilian elder stain the pages of his cookbook with his almost dragonic drool. Chiroq standing next to Sweetcherrie was slowly backing away from Wyvern, a look of utmost terror on that Wiggly Cabbage face of his. He then turned to Patrick, his puppy-eyes pleading silently with him to save him from the clutches of the lizard planning to stew, cook or roast him.

No one could resist such eyes (except Wyvern of course) and after a short glance at his purse, Patrick announced his bid.

"75 geld for Chiroq."

Straight after the bid of the dreamer she heard Patrick’s voice raise his big on chiroq, and sighed in relief. The cute cabbage was too cute to end up as main course.

“75 geld for the life saver! Do I hear more?”

She knew she had to ask, but she intentionally glanced away from Wyvern, and held up the Astral Pen, representing Gyrfalcon’s story.