The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Con Letter

Savage Dragon

An old man lived alone in the country. He wanted to plant a tomatogarden, but it was difficult work, and his only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man described the predicament in a letter to his son.

Dear Vincent,

I'm feeling bad. It looks like I won't be able to put in my tomatoes this year. I'm just too old to be digging up a garden. I wish you were here to dig it for me.

Love, Dad

A few days later he recieved a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

Sorry I'm not there to help, but whatever you do, don't dig up that garden. That's where I buried the BODIES.

Love, Vincent

A 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left. That same day the old man recieved another letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love, Vinnie

Found in Uncle John's Fast-Acting Long-Lasting Bathroom Reader by the Bathroom Readers' Institute

heh.. yeah, there's several versions of this going around. the one I'm most familar with concerns planting a potato garden and the guns which were supposed to have been hidden/buried there.