The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

My word a day..

Finally a word already in my vocabulary. Exhort is a word that suggests vigorous vocal encouragement, almost fanatically.

To quote a famous self promoter Mohamed Ali who would always exhort "I am the greatest!!"

I've been away thursday and friday, so I still have two words for last week :)

Thursday's word: posit

(transitive verb)

[POZ-it]

1. to assume as real or conceded; to assume as a postulate or axiom; 'to posit a principle'

2. to put forward for consideration: "A book that posits a complex moral situation through tight and beautiful writing, is the best read for Jamie."

3. to put (something somewhere) firmly; "She posited her hand on his shoulder."

Origin:

Approximately 1647; from Latin, 'positus,' past participle of 'ponere': to put, to place.

I'm positing that I'll be using it wrong, since I have no idea what they mean here... :unsure:

Friday's word: asseverate

(transitive verb)

[ah-SEV-ah-rayt']

1. to declare earnestly, seriously, or positively; to state categorically; to affirm: "By his fourth birthday, Adam would asseverate that he was going to 'be a doctor and fix people'."

noun form: asseveration

adjective form: asseverative

Origin:

Approximately 1550; from Latin, 'asseverat-,' past participle of 'asseverare,' from 'severus': serious.

I would like to asseverate that the Pen, and mainly the pennites, mean a lot to me :)

(not sure if that's used the right way, but hey..)

This week's theme is: What a letdown!

Today's word is: bathos

(noun)

[bAY-thos']

1. overly sentimental and exaggerated pathos; triteness; triviality; banality: "The quality of your prose is quite good, but you need to rescue your plot from bathos."

2. a sudden, unintended transition in style from the elevated to the commonplace, producing a ludicrous effect; an unintended transition of style

3. an anticlimax

Origin:

Approximately 1727; from Greek, 'bathos': depth, related to 'bathus': deep.

Hmm...this word feels to me like a really nice way to say that someone has been talking all nice and well, but that he went nowhere with it...bathos...right a sentence of my own...

*thinks*

*thinks more*

eep!

I don't think I can :blink:

Today's word is: *drums*......pratfall

(noun)

[PRAT-fol']

1. a fall on the buttocks: "Don't worry, padded boxer shorts will cushion the odd pratfall during your first snowboarding trip!"

2. a humiliating mistake

Origin:

Approximately 1939; from English, 'prat': buttocks; originally criminals' slang, of unknown origin.

*giggles* I like this one...should be used in diaper commercials ^_^

Up and Go from Libero, keeps your baby clean and dry, and cushions your baby's pratfall...

*giggles some more as she wanders out again*

Today’s word: senescence

(noun)

[si-NES-ahns]

1. the organic process of growing old; the state of being old; aging: "Are buttons on these devices getting smaller, or has senescence made me more impatient?"

Origin:

Approximately 1656; from Latin, 'scenescens,' past participle of 'senescere': to grow old, from 'senex': old (shared root: senile).

Yesterday’s word: retrograde

(adjective, intransitive verb)

[RET-rah-grayd']

adjective

1. directed backwards: "Your retrograde thinking is not helping us with the current problem."

2. movement opposite to normal or intended motion; inverse; reverse

3. reverting to an earlier, usually inferior state

4. (as in astronomy) having a contrary orbit

intransitive verb

5. to move backwards

6. to decline; to recede

noun form: retrogradation

adverb form: retrogradely

Origin:

Approximately 1392; from Latin, 'retrogradus': going backward, from 'retrogradi': to move backward ('retro-': backward + 'gradi': to go).

Sorry, no phrases of my own today…might add them later..

no idea what transitive or intransitive verbs are :blink: ...

Sorry, I'm playing a little catchup, and I thought this might be an important English grammar concept to understand. I'm sure you've noticed by now how many of your word definitions are labeled as either transitive or intransitive verbs. The distinction is a very fine one, but often critical to proper usage.

(I admit that I had to look it up. I couldn't remember the details of the two terms, either. :P Mr. Lowe from 8th grade would be so ashamed of me. :unsure: )

From "The Guide to Grammar and Style" by Jack Lynch:

Transitive versus Intransitive Verbs.

Not as difficult as some people think. A transitive verb takes a direct object: it shows action upon someone or something. Intransitive verbs take no direct object; they need only a subject to make a sentence.

Some transitive verbs: Hit (you hit something or someone; you don't just hit); climb (you don't just climb; you climb something); and bring (bring what?). Intransitive verbs: sleep (you don't sleep something; you just sleep); and fall (while you can fall down the stairs, you don't fall the stairs).

There are a few things worth noticing. First, just because something grammatically needs a direct object doesn't mean we actually use it. If someone said, I swung the bat and hit, we don't have to ask what he hit; the direct object ball is understood.

Second, many intransitives might look like transitives, as in She walked three hours. Here three hours is not really a direct object; it doesn't say what she walked, but how long (it's actually an adverbial phrase).

Third, many verbs can be both transitive and intransitive: while a word like ran is usually intransitive, it can also be transitive in "He ran the program for two years." Children can play catch, or they can just play. Even sleep, given above as an intransitive, could become transitive if we said He slept the sleep of the righteous.

The only real danger is when you start changing verbs willy-nilly: "We have to think quality" (giving the intransitive think a direct object; you probably mean "think about quality," if you mean anything at all); "I hope you enjoy" (instead of enjoy it).

From what I can see, your usages of the various transitive and intranstive verbs have been correct, Sweet. :) I just thought it would serve you well to understand the difference.

Best regards,

~Yui

I hope you don't mind an outside contribution. ^_^

Today’s word: senescence

When he told the villagers that he'd lived over 10,000 years, he saw their widened eyes search his unlined face for signs of senescence that didn't exist. After all, he was immortal.

Yesterday’s word: retrograde

Adjective: When the Deevolver ray struck poor Ralph, he cringed, feeling his advanced, human brain begin a retrograde slide towards its simian roots.*

(* Using the 2. movement opposite to normal or intended motion; inverse; reverse definition.)

Intransitive verb: When Dirk gave the nose of the sled a shove it slipped free of the clinging snow easily, retrograding down the hill to the fear-laced delight of its passengers.**

(Using the 5. to move backwards definition.)

As Phil flailed about on the dance floor, Kate whispered to her friend: "He calls his dance the retrograde because he walks backward, but I think it's really because his brain devolves every time he does it."

(Using definitions 5 and 6 both)

Wyvern's eyes glance over the pale white cloth coating the walls of the room, unaffected by Frederick's harsh words.

"Ssso you didn't like it, huh?"

"Didn't like it?" Frederick "Oscar or Bust" Ballooney stares at Wyvern with a look of disbelief, his bloodshot eyes and unshaven face screaming "sleep deprivation." The hotshot agent shakes his head and slams a hand down on the script in front of him. "I don't know how to put it any more bluntly, Wyvern. I mean, for godsake, it's titled Candide Camera! This entire project would be one big cinematic pratfall."

"Hmph." Wyvern shuffles his claws in his pockets, and stares at the white cloth coating the ceiling. "And the addition of Paingloss?"

"Paingloss?" Frederick grabs the manuscript and flails it in front of himself. "Paingloss just retrogrades the piece further! I mean, geeze Wyv, th-this guy's a philosopher who thinks the best of all possible worlds can be found in Almost Dragonic Brand Acidic Photo Gloss™! I don't know which I feel more sorry for: the work of Voltaire, or cameras worldwide."

Wyvern lets out a low hiss, his snout now clearly out of joint. Frederick lifts himself from his seat and stares.

"Listen, Wyvern, can I opine my thoughts on this script as a whole and posit a quick word of advice?" Frederick takes a long snort, and hocks a huge loogey onto Wyvern's script. "IT'S UTTER CRAP! Go back to doing stick figure doodle commercials if you wanna advertise your filthy products!"

Wyvern slams a foot down on the white cloth coating the floor.

"How DARE you animadvert my work of art!" Wyvern snarls and clenches a claw. "That animated artwork isss to be advertised by me alone. The doodles ssspeak to me in ways you wouldn't understand!"

"Get outta my sight." Frederick tugs at the white cloth coating his outfit. "Get out! Go, before I call my Dutch lawyers and tell'em to sue you for the love of Voltaire. They're more interested in this case than you think!"

"Ssssssssure they are." Wyvern tosses his arms in the air and lets out a cold laugh. "Lisssten, you've been locked in this cell ever since you lost it over that script for "Gyrfalcon the Movie: Director's Cut," and I'd be happy to help ya get out... but at this rate, it looks like yer gonna be moving in with Ralph the Devolved Humo-Sapien nextdoor."

Wyvern pauses for effect, and the harum-scarum sounds of Ralph's monkey howls ring from the asylum cell adjacent to Frederick's.

"I hear he ssstill has a glow of Deevolver Radiation about him." Wyvern sneers and stares at a claw with prococurante smugness. "But you still have the chance to get out if you offer Candide Camera to the-"

"Burn in Hell, you wannabe exhorter!" Frederick throws himself against the cell wall to emphasize his point. "You don't even deserve to be a part of this language!"

"Oh yeah?!" Wyvern steps out of the cell and slams the door behind him. "Well, maybe I'll just invent my own sort of language, so I can have my own terms to work with. Hah! Yesssss, yesss. Just you wait and see."

---

Sweetcherrie begins shuffling the papers containing the next round of definitions when the door to the Cabaret Room slams open. Wyvern barges into the room, his Devil's Advocate folder held high in one claw. The lizard brushes past the fuzzy monster that Sweet had rammed before, shoves Savage Dragon to the side, and jumps onto the rock that Zepheri had been hiding under earlier. He reaches into his folder and pulls out a sheet of paper with a triumphant laugh.

"Please forgive my insouciant entrance, but with Ozymandias' recent senescence, I would like to propose a new term under the theme of 'Devil Does Care.'"

A sound of crickets rings through the Cabaret Room as gathered pennites stare at Wyvern with a collective blank expression.

"Errr... Wyvern?" Gwaihir scratches the back of his head, blushing at the broken silence. "You, uhhh, you wouldn't happen to be using large words in the hopes of coming across as intelligent to us, would you...?"

"Why yes, I would." Wyvern lets out an irritating haughty laugh. "As a matter of fact, I asseverate your claim! But only in instances of scene-a-sense, or some-such."

More crickets.

"Enough of this. I have come to wash away the bathos of vocabulary vitamins, for one cannot thrive on the listless flavor of nutritional medecine alone." Wyvern directs his attention to his sheet. "I bring you a fresh new term, for the 'Devil Does Care' indeed!"

Wyvern's word: Melbancollie

(noun, adjective)

[MEL-ban-coly]

noun

1. A state of mental depression, revolving around the incessant nagging of secretaries.

adjective

2. Undesirable; revolting. "When Dirk lost his winter-wear in an enormous blizzard, he developed a Melbancollie frostbite. Thank goodness he had an Almost Dragonic Brand Buzzsaw Toboggan™ on hand. He dropped the Melbancollie limbs, and also used the sleigh to cannibalize the corpses of his former sledding buddies."

Origin: Approximately 5 minutes ago; from the proper name "Melba," tagged with the suggestive English verb "to ban," as well as the dog breed, "collie."

Note: "Melbancollie" should not be confused with the word "Melbamine," which refers to a blubber extract commonly found in manatees.

Thank you Yui-Chan ^_^ you're the best

*giggles about Wyvern* seriously, that's the best word so far *grin*

Buuuuut, since I'm not so creative today, I'll just continue with the words I have...

Oh, and there are a couple of them so here goes:

Last word from last week:

May 12: declivity

(noun)

[di-KLIV-i-tee]

1. the downward slope of a hill: "I hadn't noticed the declivity of our front yard until it rained."

2. a downward bend in a path

Origin:

Approximately 1612; from Latin, 'declivitatem' (nominative 'declivitas'), from 'declivis': sloping down ('de-': down + 'clivus': slope).

Hmm..sounds more like it has something to do with cleavage...the declivity of her...erm...no.

It went downhil from there on, and in the depts of this declivity I found myself looking up towards sunshine, after all when you're at the lowest point, the only place you can go is up.

This week's theme: The Masses

May 15: proletariat

(noun)

[proe'-li-TAYR-ee-it]

1. the working class or lower class: "We did not send you to the most expensive college in the state so that you hang around, flunk, and then join the proletariat!"

2. the class of industrial workers who, possessing neither capital nor production means, must earn their living by selling their labor to an employer

3. a social class of ancient Rome that had the lowest status among citizens and did not own property

Origin:

Approximately 1850; from French, 'proletariat'; from Latin, 'proletarius': citizen of the lowest class, in ancient Rome, people lacking property, exempted from taxes and military service, who served the state only by having children, from 'proles': offspring, progeny.

That girl studied for years and years, and still she feels more at home with the proletariat.

May 16: rabble

(noun)

[RAB-ahl]

1. a disorderly crowd of people; mob: "She finished her sentence, turned on her heels and slowly disappeared into the rabble of midtown."

2. a disparaging term for common people (often used with 'the')

3. a group regarded with contempt

Origin:

Approximately 1300; originally 'pack of animals,' of uncertain origin; possibly related to Middle English, 'rabeln': to speak in a rapid, confused manner, probably imitative of hurry and confusion.

Oooh, I love this word, it has a nice ring to it...especially if you pronounce it with a hard r....rrrrabble. *giggles*

He slid the guy's throat, and without a sound he disappeared back into the rabble. *grin* yessss, I definitely like this one.

May 17: canaille

(noun)

[kah-NIE, kah-NAYL]

1. the proletariat; the masses: "I prefer to ride the subway with the canaille than to sit in traffic."

2. the lower class (disapproving); rabble

Origin:

Approximately 1575; from Italian, 'canaglia': pack of dogs, rabble, from 'cane': dog; from Latin, 'canis': dog.

Righty...this feels like a synonym game now, and I like rabble more than this word, sounds like canary too much :blink:

I live in an area where the general population is considered less than canaille.

There we go, all up to date again ^_^

Thanks again to those who post in here :)

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Today's word: Plebeian

(adjective, noun)

[pli-BEE-ahn]

adjective

1. of or pertaining to the Roman plebs, or common people: "This sports arena is a plebeian sacred temple, so please have some respect."

2. of or pertaining to the common people

3. vulgar; common; 'plebeian tastes'; 'plebeian sports'

noun

4. one of the plebs, or common people of ancient Rome, in distinction from patrician

5. one of the common people, or lower rank of men

6. a vulgar person

additional noun form: plebeianism

adverb form: plebeianly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

Approximately 1550; from Latin, 'plebius,' from 'plebs,' 'pleb-': the common people, Roman plebs.

Funny enough we use the word 'plebs' in Dutch...so I actually knew this, but not that it can also be used in English :)

Miss 'High Society' pulled up her nose as she looked at the people in the restaurant, "These people are so, so plebeian," She said, the tone of her voice filled with disgust. I could only smile, "rather be one of the plebs than be like you", was all I thought as I saw her pursed lips. They looked a lot like a shriveled old plum, and had about the same colour. "Yes, better be one of the rabble than grow up to be like that."

(btw, how clear is it that I quite like this theme, eh? All of a sudden my examples are getting longer :P)

Edited by Sweetcherrie

May 19: hoi poloi

(noun)

[hoi' pah-LOI]

1. the common people; the masses: "We may have less down time, but today, the hoi polloi have access to services and technology that kings of the past did not even dream of."

Origin:

Approximately 1837; from Greek, 'hoi': from the + 'polloi': the people, literally, the many, from 'polys.'

Yeah, us hoi polloi have access to the world! mwuahahaha! :ph34r:

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Sweetcherrie wanders in, a note held in her hand, but she seems sort of absent-minded. Then she realizes that she still had to do something, and wonders where she had put her note again. She almost reaches the door and then discovers that the note she's looking for is held tight in her hand already.

"Tsk, right, graduation project, oh no wait, word of today...cool."

She takes a pen and starts writing.

This week's theme: Upper Crust

Sweetcherrie blinks and looks at the note, "Will they be talking about bread? Oh no wait, different crust."

May 22: Noblesse

(noun)

[noe-BLES]

1. noble rank or birth: "It is not so much her noblesse that intimidates me but her accomplishments."

2. the members of an aristocracy, especially in France

also: noblesse oblige: literally, the noble obligation, with privilege comes responsibility (often used sarcastically)

Origin:

Approximately 1225; from Old French, 'noblece'; from Latin, 'nobilis': well-known, from 'gnobilis,' literally, knowable, from 'gnoscere': to come to know.

She reads through the text, and looks at Troy who lands neatly next to her, rubbing his head against her hand to be stroked. She chuckles and scratches his head lovingly.

"This is not too much me, but maybe you can find a phoenix from noble rank, I think I saw her last somewhere around the Banquet Hall."

She chuckles softly, and in her scatterbrained manner almost forgot to take her note with her as she wanders out again to continue on her project.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

“Troy, get that back to me! I know it says Glitter somewhere, but it doesn’t shine!”

The phoenix looks back and seems to grin as he forces Sweetcherrie into exercising, by making her run after her notes. Then he drops the note into the cabaret room, and a panting Sweetcherrie arrives just a moment later. At a safe distance Troy lands and tilts his head, challenging her to take up a running course with him again, but everybody knows that you shouldn’t try to outfly those with wings, and Sweetcherrie just gives him an angry look.

She picks up the note, pins it up on the walls of the Cabaret room, and walks out again to get a glass of water, running does make thirsty…

May 23, 2006: Glitterati

(noun)

[GLIT-ah-raw'-tee]

1. extremely wealthy, fashionable, or famous people; the smart set: "Heather loves to window shop in exclusive boutiques, just for a chance to rub shoulders with the glitterati."

Origin:

Approximately 1950; blend of 'glitter' + 'literati': well-educated, literary people.

A flurry of fiery feathers flies through the air. With Sweetcherrie pulling on one side of the note and Troy pulling on the other the note is not living long and with a tumble, both girl and phoenix fall backwards.

With a dumbfounded look on her face Sweetcherrie looks at the part of the note she has in her hands, and discovers that she only has the word and half the definition in her hands. She looks at Troy, but blinks as the bird has managed to skiddle away without her noticing.

“What now?” She mumbles, “Hmm..maybe I should simply ask the pennites to find the origin of the word, they might even pick it up as a game…”

With half the note in her hands she strolls to the Cabaret Room and sticks up her half of the note.

post-576-1148489134_thumb.jpg

With a last look and a shake of her head Sweetcherrie decided that it would have to do for today.