The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The I'm-Depressed-Because-She's-Gone Poem

yochva

I rather like this one, and I don't show it around. Thought some of you might enjoy it...

FIRST RULE

Read it.

SECOND RULE

Say something about it, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~

Leaves blowing dryly

Wind whistling through the chicken wire

Empty.

A trashcan topples over

Echoes rebound from the rusted benches

Empty.

The padlock is smashed

The gates creak wearily on broken hinges

Alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There. Say SOMETHING, please?

The imagery in this poem is very good and you deserve kudos for that. The problem is, it's too good for the "empty" you inject twice and the "alone" you end upon. You seem a little bit afraid to let the imagery stand on its own, without a word blaring out its significance like a brightly lit neon sign. Don't be. The scene you paint does a damn fine job of making an emotional impact, but you clip its wings and reduce its effectiveness by bonking the reader over the head with "empty" and "alone."

I think that absent those two words, you'll need a closing stanza relating the poem to something human. I would suggest something along the lines of "Seated by a leaf-clogged fountain/I wonder where she went." But its your poem - do as you wish :-)

Hope I wasn't too harsh - I like what you've got so far, and it'd be a terrible shame if you didn't give it the little touch-up it needs to be really good.

Ack, I've gone and read it, and now you've charged me with a comment. Well, I don't have much to say, but I'll respect your request and give you the "something". I did enjoy it. Short but powerful. I'm not certain whether I'd have understood the point if the title hadn't said it, but then again I'm not known for understanding poems well. I tend to see only the surface words.

At any rate, I liked the imagery. Thanks for sharing.

That's the point, dear, to get you to reply! ^____~

IDBSGP ver 1.2

Edited for your suggestions, Buddha, they were good ones. I'm not sue about the last verse, it's mostly just something to go on. I also switched the first verse to immediate present, like the rest of it, for continuity. I think it makes it sound better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaves blow dryly

Wind whistles through the chicken wire

A trashcan topples over

The padlock is smashed

Voices whisper on the cold air

Memories live in the hearts of the past.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry but I don't feel I have the right to say anything since I know nothing about poems. But seeing the poem and how You required a reply I must say that it is much enjoyed:)

Thanks for reviving this, Mai! Say something! What did you feel when you read it? Did it flow easily? Did anything seem out of place?

Here's version 1.3 - I changed one of the words in the last verse.

Leaves blow dryly

Wind whistles through the chicken wire

A trashcan topples over

The padlock is smashed

Voices whisper on the empty air

okay, since you insist I will make more of a comment. I think it flows well, although more punctuation might help the point come across clearer on the first read-though. The last verse(Memories live in the hearts of the past.) makes me think of my characters (Ryu and Keiko) and the pasts that they share and must come to tearms with.

p.s. Iknow it's off topic but I like your name:)

Hmmm... *strokes chin thoughtfully*

I'll have to think about the punctuation. I don't usually like putting unecessary marks in my poems, but you might be right.

I'm glad you like my name, I like it too! ^__~

Leaves blow dryly <---do leaves blow? Consider what force is moving the leaves. Typically in the passive voice you would need an adverb or clause of some sort to pull this off such as "by, in, about etc."

Wind whistles through the chicken wire <--- Better, more active.

A trashcan topples over

Echoes rebound from the rusted benches Echos? Are you sure. Echos usually need a certain setting and power behind the orginating sound inorder to exist. So are sounds coming from the benches a repitition of the orginating sound in space or is it just the orginating sound happening several times due to the wind.

The padlock is smashed

The gates creak wearily on broken hinges Hmm, watch out for weary. It's an gets overused a lot. I'm sure guilty of it.

rev...

Edited by reverie

Leaves blow dryly <---do leaves blow? Consider what force is moving the leaves. Typically in the passive voice you would need an adverb or clause of some sort to pull this off such as "by, in, about etc." I'm trying to get the image of leaves, as they look in a dustdevil - swirling together, brushing by each other. However, the line needs to stay three words/syllables, so we'd need to replace 'blow'. Think think think...

Wind whistles through the chicken wire <--- Better, more active.

A trashcan topples over

Echoes rebound from the rusted benches Echos? Are you sure. Echos usually need a certain setting and power behind the orginating sound inorder to exist. So are sounds coming from the benches a repitition of the orginating sound in space or is it just the orginating sound happening several times due to the wind. There's a certain image that goes along with that, almost as if the echos are self-powered - that's the image I want. It connects to the second-to-last and last lines, as if this deserted basketball court is almost self-aware. Does that make sense?

The padlock is smashed

The gates creak wearily on broken hinges Hmm, watch out for weary. It's an gets overused a lot. I'm sure guilty of it. Hmmm... that's a good point. I'll have to think about that one, there are several words meandering around my head that would fit, but I can't get them to stay in one place at the moment. Thanks for the heads-up.

WHeee, thanks for your input! That's exactly what I like to recieve!

Edited by Evangeline

Dust devil, like a whirlwind? Hmm maybe:

whirl, twirl, or swirl?

Echos: hmm, yeah that's a tough one. Maybe a metaphore could help? Or you could try to personify the echo's like "they whispher" or something along those lines.

Are you following a form either traditional or self-invented? I wonder because you say that you need to keep the first line 3 words.

good coloring btw.

always a pleasure,

rev...

Edited by reverie

Dust devil, like a whirlwind? Hmm maybe:

whirl, twirl, or swirl? Yeah, a dustdevil is like a mini-whirlwind. Those were all words I thought of, but they don't have the same feeling of desertion that blow does. They're all more energetic words, more lively, which is not a feeling I want to portray.

Echos: hmm, yeah that's a tough one. Maybe a metaphore could help? Or you could try to personify the echo's like "they whispher" or something along those lines. The echos could really be from any and everything - the cars passing in the street, voices from the apartments on either side, memories that have taken on lives of their own. Does that clarify why I want them to remain ambiguous? I want them to be whatever the reader percieves them to be, and I fear that if I add too much more, it'll limit the image.

Are you following a form either traditional or self-invented? I wonder because you say that you need to keep the first line 3 words. The form I'm trying to follow is short-long-short-long-short-long-short-long. If you notice, the short lines all have three active words (leaves blow dryly, trashcan topples over, padlock is smashed) and only the last line breaks the pattern (which I"m not happy about). I want it to stay that way, because that's the link through the whole poem, as the long lines are all unique. I think. In any case, I want to leave it as close to how long it is now as possible, line-wise, because it has the beat I think I'm looking for.

good coloring btw. Thank you! This is the method I devised with a friend of mine, when we beta each other.