The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Looking Back...

A while ago, I wrote down some simple instructions for living and meant to give them to a friend I was probably never going to see again. Somehow, I never did it and they got shuffled around my computer until I found them again today. Looking back, they're some darn good instructions, and thus, I am sharing them with you, minus the introduction and conclusion.

The most important thing you can do is to adapt. No matter what happens to you over the course of your life, learn and adapt. Refuse to be molded by others.

Realize how important you are in the grand scheme of things. You’re only one person, but so is everyone else. Adjust to this point of view, and live accordingly.

Take time out every once in a while, and dream. Take the dream, and turn it into a reality. If you succeed, you’re a legend. If you don’t, you’re still better than when you started.

Don’t ever forget how to laugh at yourself. Don’t ever forget how to laugh at others. In short, don’t forget how to laugh.

When life hands you lemons, return them for store credit and pick yourself up some ice cream. Generally you’ll want the comfort food by then anyway.

Find yourself a copy of “All I Needed to Know in Life I Learned in Kindergarten” and read it as often as you feel the need to. If you like it, grab a copy of “It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It.”

Listen to sad songs and cry. Listen to happy songs and laugh. Listen to music, and live musically.

Write poetry, even if nobody will ever see it.

Get out of the house as often as possible. Never let your life fall into a routine of work and sleep.

Never let your entire life revolve around any one person. Not only will you be completely miserable, but they will too.

Search for something to believe in. If you’re happier for it, then you’ve found the right one.

No matter how much life seems to suck, realize that eventually it will equalize out and blow too.

Always refuse to let go of your friends. Always remember that one day you’ll have to.

When you’re older and reminiscing, always remember exactly how much high school sucked.

Never hate yourself. If you find yourself hating yourself, find out why and fix it. Then go out for ice cream or something.

Always forgive people, no matter what. Even if it takes several months to do the forgiving.

Always trust people, and always lock your doors. Faith in humanity is commendable, but stupidity is not.

Take a day each month and just go out driving until you decide to do something. If this grates on your gas bill, take a walk instead.

Never be afraid to love. Love your family, love your friends, and love whoever you decide to spend your life with.

Love fiercely. If you’re not going to love something with all of you, then don’t even bother starting.

Always help others, even at your own temporary expense.

Never allow other people to run your life. It’s your life, they have their own.

When in doubt, keep your eyes open and your mouth closed. It always turns out better this way.

Remain ever compassionate.

Remember that everything is good in moderation.

Looking back, I can't find anything I want to change. I was a lot wiser than I thought then, and now I have a credo and a guide to live by, written by me in an earlier age. If anyone else has any other little suggestions, feel free to post them as well.