The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Magic in the Workshop

Gryphon

In the workshop... for Elrohir

Back in the workshop, feeling rather refreshed, Gryphon flips the page in his design book to reveal the item he had made notes on for Elrohir. After reading them through carefully another time Gryphon reaches for a large square of canvas and begins casting his spells.

Placing both hands over the canvas Gryphon starts to focus, mage energy pouring into the cloth, touching each strand of fabric and empowering them with magic spun from inside his being. Gryphon feels the strength of the flow intensify as he relaxes into building the spellweb and the cloth begins to take on a ripple effect to the casual eye as though made of water or another liquid instead of woven material.

At this point Gryphon gets swarmed by a bunch of people congratulating him on his promotion despite his Quill Quest being incomplete - the creation of Elrohir's item gets unfortunately delayed. ;)

Opening one of his component boxes Gryphon withdraws a vial of powdered opal and traces some arcane symbols on the cloth, which continues to ripple gently as the powder seems to float down into oblivion leaving sparkling trails of blue and green fire in their wake. As the sparks of opal fire dissipate Gryphon caresses the strands of power with his mind, coaxing them into the configuration desired by his will. Slowly the rippling stops and the hue of the canvas darkens. A stray ray of sunlight lands on the cloth and reveals a sigil that briefly burns with a dull light before extinguishing leaving a faint shiny trace on a piece of cloth lying in the sunlight.

~~~

A gift... for Elrohir

Heading for the Cabaret Room to look for Elrohir, Gryphon runs into Peredhil's son as he passes through the Courtyard.

"Elrohir! A moment of your time if you please?"

Gryphon retrieves a roll of cloth from his pouch as Elrohir approaches and holds it out to display it to the one-time ranger.

"I'm pleased to see you're recovered from your Quill presentation." Elrohir says with a smile, "Now, what is this item you've created for me; I admit I'm curious."

A stray expression crosses Gryphon's face as a concerned thought occurs to him. "I... it's just a little something that I cooked up hoping you'll find it useful. I understand that rangers sometimes have to undertake a fair amount of travel to get their work done, I thought that you might find it useful to be able to have all your gear and your weapons on you, but not clanking around in an old backpack."

As he speaks Gryphon unrolls what appears to be a piece of dull grey, or possibly faded black cloth and Elrohir looks on, curious and polite, knowing that if he does need to go adventuring or travelling he can always open up a portal to retrieve anything he left behind. A sigil blazing with blue-green fire seems to blaze over the surface of the cloth, and is gone in an instant and Elrohir's curiousity grows more intense.

"I'm aware," Gryphon continues unaware of Elrohir's thoughts, "that you've some kind of magical ability. So you could probably dispence with this by opening portals whenever you need equipment from home, however I know that can create a detectable fluctuation in the local energy fields, which can be a bad thing if you want to remain undetected. This cloth contains a kind of pocket portal in its fabric. You saw the sigil?"

Gryphon looks at Elrohir awaiting his acknowledgement before continuing. "It will not burn to your touch, though I can't say the same for others. Just trace it and you'll be able to access any items you've stored in the weave. There should be enough room for a full set of adventuring gear."

"Sweet," exclaimed Elrohir with a large grin. "You're completely right that a Portal draws the wrong type of attention in too many of the places I go. this will work out swell!" Elrohir's eyes dance as he considers what he'll store in the magical weave. "Thank you very much! A most welcome and practical gift indeed!"

An extremely happy look crosses Gryphons' face. "I'm glad you like it, it's so hard to tell sometimes what people will find a use for. Now, if you'll excuse me, I do have some other items that are outstanding and I'd not want to disappoint anyone."

~~~

Edited by Gryphon

In the workshop... for Ayshela

Dawn finds Gryphon sitting in meditation on a new form of spell. Were there any onlookers with the sight a faint mist of low level mage energies could be seen swirling around the mage as he sat with his eyes closed, both hands held out before him, palms facing one another. At the center of his focus an impossible concentration of magical energy pulsed gently as the winged mage built the underlying concept of his spell into a compact seed of power, flickering and pulsing slowly, until the pulse became steady and the flickering became a single flame, visible to the naked eye.

Carefully, as though feeding a tiny flame Gryphon feed the mage-seed with energy from his own body, the magic spinning out to create a tiny cocoon about the spark of power. Filaments of light threaded out of the point of light, anchoring themselves in the substance of magic drawn from it's creator. Slowly the pinprick of light grows, glowing the red of fresh blood in the morning sun as Gryphon feeds more energy into the spell.

Gently Gryphon taps a nearby line of air magic, feeding the slowly expanding spell while feeling the energy run from him into it like blood from an open wound, yet never too much. As the spell stabilizes it's brightness dims fractionally though it still hangs in the air like a drop of blood. Reaching out with both hands, Gryphon cups the spell-globe between both hands and begins applying pressure, both physically and magically, rapidly feeling the globe of energy compress into a solid form. Moments later he opens his palms to reveal what appears to be a small corundum, deep red in colour and sparkling with a faint inner light.

~~~

• 2 weeks later...

A gift... for Ayshela

Ayshela is sitting quietly in the cabaret room reading when seemingly out of nowhere Gryphon appears. Suprise is written across her face as she closes the book and sets it to one side. "Gryphon. I didn't see you come in! ... Gryphon?" Her comments stumble to a quiet halt as the winged mage doesn't respond to her and she notices that he seems to be staring off into nowhere as he stands there in front of her.

"Gryphon? Are you ok?"

Slowly Gryphon's eyes focus on Ayshela and he blinks as though dazed before a big grin passes over his face. "Ayshela, there you are! I've been looking everywhere for you. I'm almost finished with your gift, I just need to finish testing it."

As the last word leaves his mouth, Gryphon launches himself at the puzzled and now startled Ayshela, and both go tumbling backwards over her chair as Ayshela is on the receiving end of a Gryphonic tacklehug. As she lies on the floor recovering, Ayshela looks up into a grinning Gryphon face. "Yep, it works." He says, before dissolving into a mass of little sparkling ruby lights which disperse then fade to nothingness.

Amusement and confusion war on her face as Ayshela picks up herself, then the chair that she was reading in, confusion winning moments later as she sees Gryphon come through the door of the Cabaret Room, with a big grin on his face. "Ayshela, there you are! I've been looking everywhere for you."

Taking in the puzzled look on her face Gryphon bursts out laughing. "I'm sorry... I couldn't resist saying that again, and I really have just finished testing your gift."

Opening up the small purple silk pouch that Gryphon hands her, Ayshela finds inside what appears to be a small ruby, sparkling faintly with an inner light. Gryphon quietly explains its function.

"It's a remote tacklehug targeter, for those occasions where someone deserves a tacklehug but you can't be there in person. Hold it in your hands and concentrate on that person. You'll get a vision as though you were standing in front of them - but it will be an illusion of you rather than your body. It doesn't last very long, but while it lasts you can control that illusion as though you were there in person. I called it a tacklehug targeter, but you can do certain other limited things with it before it vanishes.

Ayshela looks wonderingly at the small gem in her hand, then looks at Gryphon as a broad smile of amazed pleasure spreads over her face. "How wonderfully brilliant! This is absolutely perfect! Now, let me see..." Her voice trails off for a moment as she holds the ruby and concentrates on Mynx, finding her standing contemplating her kitten minions. Ayshela tacklehugs Mynx with gleeful giggles before vanishing, her attention returning to Gryphon who is patiently waiting.

"It works! It really works! Gryphon, this is wonderful! Thank you so much, I've been so disturbed by the birthdays and promotions I've had to miss because I was called away and didn't know what to do. Now I can be there even when I can't be there! You're brilliant, and this is absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much!" Ayshela sweeps Gryphon up in a huge hug and dances about the room with him for a moment before realizing she needs to let him go so he can deliver another gift.

~~~

In the workshop... for Helga Hurtle

Gryphon sits looking out his window, surveying the sky. As he watches a fluffy white cloud drifts across a pale blue sky. Silently he nods to himself and moments later, the winged mage is heading for the courtyard where he takes to the sky with a mighty leap. With powerful wingstrokes Gryphon climbs quickly towards the heavens, feeling the air slowly chill around him as he drives himself higher still until the air is thin and the icy fingers of the wind begin to feel like tentacles of ice caressing his feathers.

A whisper of wind slips past, ruffling his feathers causing a thin layer of frost to form and Gryphon begins to focus his will to draw upon the magical energy that surrounds and penetrates him. Directing the magic by force of will reinforced by a few careful words of power the winged mage sees his talons begin to glow with an icy blue white ghost light in the frozen air.

With the flick of a wingtip and the tilt of a wing, Gryphon sideslips through the sky before lashing out with both hands. With a cry of triumph his talons latch onto a frigid strand of the icy wind that curls around him. Seizing the thread of wind firmly, Gryphon folds his wings and plummets towards the ground far below with the tattered remnants of the frozen air still gripped firmly in his glowing talons.

As he falls, Gryphon reshapes the magic causing it to enfold the frosty air, containing it and confining it in chains of magic. The frost continues to form on his feathers from his proximity to the ball of frozen air and Gryphon falls rapidly toward the earth. With a snap he opens and flares his wings, with a powerful downstroke to arrest his fall, moments later the winged mage lands lightly on the ground in the courtyard, still clutching his prize then hurries off to his workshop.

Working quickly, Gryphon takes a length of raw silk and begins to weave the essence of cold into the fabric, pinning the magic containing the frozen breeze carefully into the weave of the silk, careful to make sure the threads of magic are not left lose to risk the unravelling of the spell. Slowly a layer of ice seems to form over the silk which crackles everytime it is touched. Finally taking up a needle of magic Gryphon works the silk into the shape of a rough pouch noting with amusement the way the pseudo-ice crackles over the surface and the faint blue colour that seems to eminate from inside the newly formed pouch where darkness alone should reside.

Satisfied with his work, and aware that he should have completed it considerably sooner, Gryphon takes the pouch and sets off to try and locate Helga Hurtle.

~~~

• 2 weeks later...

A gift... for Helga Hurtle

Bemused Gryphon heads out into the courtyard in his search for Helga to give her magic item to her. It seemed that no-one was exactly sure where Hegla had gone, so Gryphon resigned himself to searching the entire grounds of the Pen for her.

One helpful soul had mentioned that he'd seen Helga on her way to the Gardens, though that had been several days ago. In hopes of finding a starting point for his search Gryphon decided to seach the gardens first.

With a mighty leap and a sweep of his wings Gryphon headed skyward before circling and gliding off towards the gardens, keeping a sharp eye on the ground beneath him searching for any indication of Helga's passing.

A movement near the entrance to the gardens catches Gryphon's eye and swooping lower he sees Helga moving inexorably towards the nearest flowerbeds. Flairing his wings Gryphon lands a short way up the path from Helga and casually walks up to where she is eyeing him with an unreadable expression on her face.

"Helga! I'm glad I found you, I've got your gift done... I'm sorry it took so long to finish it, I've been a bit busy and distracted of late."

An almost puzzled expression crosses Helga's face. "So long? What do you mean? It's hardly been any time at all."

The two stare at each other for a few seconds, each trying to puzzle out time as measured by the other. Moments later Gryphon shrugs, and moves on with the conversation. "Ah, right... Well anyway, I've made this for you."

Gryphon hands Helga the pouch and while she examines it he explains it's use:

"I noticed that you seem to get a certain burst of energy from flowers, when you eat them I mean. This pouch is for storing a supply of flowers for you to take with you - for when you run out I mean. The spells woven into it will keep anything you put inside preserved perfectly until you take it out again."

Gryphon watches as Helga opens the pouch and the magical crackle of pseudo-frost fills the air briefly and Helga looks up at Gryphon. "What an amazing idea! I've never carried extra supplies because the sap needs to be fresh. I shall try it out immediately. Thank you so much."

Helga resumes her interrupted journey to the nearby flowerbed and Gryphon smiles at her pleasure as she passes with the new pouch slung over her shell. "My pleasure, now if you'll excuse me, I have other things to craft for other people and I'd best get to it. I dare say some are wondering if I've forgotten."

With another leap, Gryphon takes to the sky and as he looks back he sees Helga moving into the flowerbed with purpose in her stride.

~~~