The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Nimball(TM)! The Jousting Tourney!

Shathward

Which of these would you like to see come back?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nimball. The Jousting Tourney.

We all knew them. We all loved them. Ever since we tussled around in that dusty old Conservatory in the now-extinct Archmage Bulletin Boards, they were a part of daily life.

Somehow we've drifted away from them. I say, it is time to rekindle the fires in our hearts of old!

*dramatic pose* *sparkle sparkle*

Ahem. That is precisely why I'd like to put up a poll to gauge the level of interest in these great activities. Just step up and vote, please! And if you will, share you memories and knowledge of how they worked for the benefit of the ones who don't know or who have forgotten! :)

Rydia's ears settle into a \o_o? while she thinks, and then shift over to a ?o_o/, and finally earshrug and flick back into place. "I don't remember anything about a joust," she confesses. "I saw one of the Rumbles that wasn't on blitz, and I was there when Snypiuer trussed Nim up. . ." she shivers, and constructs a pre-emptive forcefield in case saying the name is enough.

A bit earlier, in Minta Rose's room at the Pen Keep:

"Ooooooo a joust! Can I ride point?"

"Minta, there is no 'point' in joust. It's one versus one," Rydia explained, holding up the poster, on which two unicorns and their riders charged at one another.

"There is too a point." Minta left a red fingerprint on the end of one lance, then burrowed halfway under her bed while tools started to spray out from underneath. "Bet I could make it superultraexplosivrooooooomy!"

". . .understand that I'm just a little bit. . .cautious. . .about holding a joust," Rydia sidesteps, her ears vibrating. The forcefield creaks.

"What's up with that many 'no' votes?" in a matter of gauging the level of interest?

Clearly there is *some* interest. For "that many" others, though - well, to quote the T-shirt -

No means no.

Indeed, the jousting tourney never got finished. If I remember correctly, it was compared to the Royal Rumble, but more organized?

I believe it went something like this : let's say 6 people (A, B, C, D, E and F to keep things simple) sign up. The organisation teams them up in pairs (A&B, C&D, E&F) and they each fight their battle. I even think all the battles followed one another (so first there was battle AB, then battle CD and after that one battle EF).

Then the winners continue fighting each other. I don't know how this goes, though, since that would be an odd number. Lemme think on this one :P

And so on and so forth, until only one winner remains ...

Scoring : every battle consists of a number of rounds, in each round both participants post once. At the end of each round the jury people give points, and the one with the highest amount of points wins the round. Weren't there three rounds per battle?

Just my (fuzzy :P) memories...

Oh, and I don't mind people voting "no"... I'm just curious as to why they wouldn't like to see either of them back...

So would you suggest bringing the Royal Rumble back, or the Jousting Tourney?

The Royal Rumble would allow for more freedom, and more activity, since there won't be waiting for other "couples" or the judges to finish.

The Jousting Tourney would be more organized and systematic, with an actual scoring system, but it'd be about twenty times slower.

Any thoughts?

*EDIT: Never mind. The Third Annual Archmage Royal Rumble has already conveniently been created for our benefit! Pardon me while I run off and bump it back up! :D

Edited by Shathward

*EDIT: Never mind. The Third Annual Archmage Royal Rumble has already conveniently been created for our benefit! Pardon me while I run off and bump it back up! :D

1) Necro-ing threads is poor etiquitte.

2) That was two years ago. Start up the Fifth Annual, if you want to do it.

3) I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more what I call "free-form" RPing. There's too much Werewolf anyways. =P

4) I tried Nimball and it didn't work the way you (probably) would want it to. The very nature of Nimball is that it be spontaneous and full of flames. One of those is frowned upon here, and I don't think enough people understood the spirit of it to make it work. You're welcome to try it again, I'll point you to the previous time it was done, if you're inclined.

5) Joust? Competition? Sure. But don't start that. Be creative; think up your own stuff. This applies to Nimball, The Joust, and the Royal Rumble. Your creative stuff will be much better recieved than a rehash of nostalagia. That's why you got so many 'no' votes.

6) Good luck! =)

Ah, I guess that is true. Very true. Too true.

Well, then, forget about the Rumble, Tourney, or Nimball and give me a moment while I run off and think up something completely new ...

*EDIT: Well, sort of new.

Edited by Shathward