The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Creative Writing Exercise #7

Yui-chan

(With appropriate nods to Salinye, whose social mind dreamed up the first of these exercises, I thought it might be fun to continue the Pen tradition of Creative Writing Exercises. Please enjoy.)

Creative Writing Exercise #7 - Look at that!

In no more than 500 words, give a detailed impression of some object... - but don't tell us what it is! Use imagery and character interaction to draw a picture clear enough that your fellow Pennites can guess your object without naming it or describing its physical appearance.

Entering the room, the quick glances of the vampire were hardly noticed. He could feel it...the artifact he'd been searching for had finally been located. Based of factions on abyssal space...Black knew very well that this had been no easy mission.

"The power of nothing,

the power of all.

Most thought it missing,

for they took the fall.

Formed by removing,

with depths held unknown,

thereby disproving

its existance at all."

Taking one more glance around...Back made great strides forward and was never seen again.

"Little was known of the vampire's tale

swallowed by nothing,

with nothing to tell.

Though some speak so proudly

and other thus not,

we find our demise,

in the foe we last fought."

Edited by Black9

Ayshela smiled broadly as her eyes lit up at the challenge. "Intruiging," she commented, wandering off with bits of phrasing from the previous evening's conversations flitting amongst the jumbled stacks and piles of data in her mind. A small smile twitched at her lips now and then as her eyes narrowed in careful thought. "This should be FUN!" she said, just before she disappeared in search of pen and paper.

So, can we do this more than once? ;)

~~~~~~~~~

I stand upon my steps and watch you flow across the landscape, softly wrapping everything in your chill embrace. A car creeps slowly by, headlights peering nearsightedly at the roadway you've teasingly obscured. Looking up I see my beloved starscape reduced to pinpricks in black velvet, overlaid by swirling layers of finest gauze. Finally you reach me, enveloping me also, gently touching face and lashes with damp kisses.

"da da da, dadadada--"

thump, thump, thump,

"da da da, dadadada. . ."

Tzimfemme slid out into the silent center of the lab a la Mrs. Doubtfire, almost knocking over a bucket with the tail end of her guitar.

"Just take those old records off the shelf,"

She lowered the end to the floor and swished it around in apathetic circles

"I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself,"

which may or may not have been in time with the actual song

"Today's music ain't got the same soul,"

but had no relation whatsoever to the beat of what she was singing.

"I like that old time rock and roll."

She sprinted to the bucket, dunked her guitar, and ran back to center stage while holding it over her head. Droplets of dirty water flew everywhere, even on the clean glassware on the counters.

"Don't try and take me to a disco,

You'll never even get me out on the floor,"

Tzimfemme gave up all pretense of synchronization

"In ten minutes I'll be late for the door,

I like that old time rock and roll."

and left great wet streaks upon the floor while swishing her behind in a manner better suited to a Motown backup singer.

"Still like that old time rock and roll!"

On the chorus, she picked her guitar off the floor and started playing to the audience.

"That kind of music just soothes my soul,

I reminisce about the days of old,

With that old time rock and roll."

During the guitar solo, she strode around the stage, whipping the neck of her guitar around every time she hummed a different chord (which was, in truth, every fifth note or so, and had no relation with the actual tune) and flinging arcs of dirty water. Two minutes later, she sprinted back to center stage and put her foot squarely down upon a streak of water--

WHAM

--and landed on her instrument. Tzimfemme rolled over with a curse and checked her right side. Nothing yet but pain, but there would be a solid band of bruise from her ribcage to her knee in a few days.

Hmm. I haven't figured out Black's, yet, but I think Ayshela's been touched by a night mist and Tzim's rocking out with her floor mop. :) Am I close?

Ayshela, I think you should feel free to write entries in this ad infintum, then come back in three years and add a few more. It's just to stretch your writing braincells, so there's no limit to how many times you might find it inspiring. ^_^

Facilitating,

~Yui