The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

ADVENTURERS WANTED!

Salinye

One chilly yet bright morning as people huddled within their various cloaks and sweaters began to surface and explore the carnival; they noticed a new booth had appeared within the night. It was a simple booth, nothing more than a table, really. However, it was the sign that was attached to the front of the table that caught the eye.

“Adventurers wanted.”

Was painted in large perfectly formed black letters. Then scrawled below it in blood red ink were the words

“Wimps need NOT apply and yes, I’m talking about YOU!!”

The “u” at the end of the word you had a tail attached to it as if perhaps the author of the sentence was abruptly interrupted.

Behind the table sat two elves, Lorne and Scarlot. Lorne had the look of an elegant high elf with royal standings. He was clean-shaven and his tunic was of the finest linen. His white hair matched the white of the shirt he wore beneath his tunic. He had kindness in his blue eyes and patience in his countenance. (He’d have to in order to be married to scarlot, after all.) His wife, although every much as beautiful as dark elven women usually are, had a countenance as sour as winter apples. She was attired in mostly black leather clothing-from breaches to a sleeveless vest. She even had her waist long black hair tied back with a black leather strap. She rarely went anywhere without a shimmery black cloak that might peek the curiosity of anyone with an eye for magical items. Her feistiness was obvious in her violet eyes. She was never one to turn down a challenge, or to start one. For all appearances sake, the couple seemed as opposite as you could find.

OOC: I painted the picture of the booth, but am going to explain how this works in ooc. I figure anyone interested would approach the booth and start inquiring, anyway. This booth has three parts.

Part A: When the AVV first started I initiated a challenge to create a world that would be posted and available for anyone to use in their writings. Familiarize yourself with these world’s here.. [if you would be willing to be partnered up with someone of Lorne and Scarlot’s choosing to do a mission to one of those world’s, please sign up at the booth.

Part B: Once you are familiar with the worlds, pick one and submit a mission to one of those worlds. Missions will be selected by Tamaranis and myself and will be the missions that couples are sent on. Please pm missions to Salinye.

A couple of rules for Part B:

1.The mission may not contain any world changing events without the permission of the world creator.

2.The mission must be able to be completed within no more than 10 posts.

3.You may submit more than one mission.

Part C: If you sign up for a mission, then you will be partnered up with one other person and will be commissioned to complete the task (mission) assigned to you. You do not get to choose your partner, nor your mission. You must complete the mission in no more than 10 posts. Whether you each write 5 or one person writes the majority is up to the partnership to work out. We have made this limitation so that the missions will get done and not turn into unending epics. It will also bring nice exposure to some really great worlds that have been created.

Payment: You will be paid 10 geld for submitting a mission. Regardless of how many you submit, you will only get paid for the first. Even if your mission does not get used for this particular event, it will be stored away and used for missions that applicants to the AVV are sent on as part of their application process. You will be paid 15 geld for starting your mission and another 25 upon completing it using no more than 10 posts.

About world creation: If you are interested in creating your own world and posting it in the AVV, you may do so at any time and need not be a member of the rp guild to do so. Information on world creation can be found here.

Deadline: I'll give you one week to sign up and submit missions. Missions will be assigned out to people who have signed up on Monday, December 27th.

One final note: The missions will be rp'd and posted within the AVV guild hall. So as long as you can see the guild, you may participate on going on a mission. If you are not able to see the guilds yet, you may still submit mission ideas. :0)

Edited by Salinye

Presidente Pilocanci and his friends, Clooie Pawwel and Yan Yan Ganaffi walk up to the booth in question. Pilocanci looks at the sign, then the two vendors. Rubbing his chin, he tells his two companions,"You two can go ahead, this has peaked my interest." Sheugging the two leave the little dictator at the booth. Climbing up to the counter, Pilocanci says,"Adventurers wanted, eh? Well, I'm all for it! Where do I sign?" Scarlot hands him a clipboard with a piece of paper on it with a lot of legalese on it. "What's all this," Pilocanci askes.

"Standard adventuring weaver," Scarlot replies," Just incase the unthinkible happens, we won't be held liable."

Pilcoanci reads the form and stops," Drawn and quartered?"

"Oh, that doesn't happen very often," Scarlot smiles," Just stay away from the desert nomads and you will be fine."

"It says here that I can have an adventuring partner,"Pilocanci asks as he shows them the line in the contract that states 'partnerships'.

'Yes," Lorne answers,"You get an adventuring partner of our choosing."

Pilocanci raises an eyebrow,"If you two pair me up with Stephen Hawking, I'm going to be a bit upset." Regardless, he signs the lines for the adventure and for a partner, then hands it back to the elves.

OOC: I couldn't get the link to the worlds to work. Any way you can give me another or throw me an e-mail or something?

Pilocanci

"Wimps?" said Katzaniel to herself, raising a brow. "And they say that means me?" A quirky grin appears. "Well, they're not going to get many applicants, if that sign is to be taken literally."

Stepping up to the table, Katzaniel imitates a bow. "Madam. Sir. I don't need to know what the quest is, just sign me up."

Scarlot narrowed her eyes but did not say anything, only handed over the paper.

OOC: Are we encouraged to avoid writing a mission for world we created?

You can write missions for any world, even ones you have created. Hmm, I just realized I was a bit mad in the brain when I said you could still submit missions if you couldn't access the guild, but that would pose a problem because you wouldn't be able to SEE the worlds in the first place. Let me think on it. :0)

~Salinye :fairy:

A man carrying a quarterstaff can be seen making his way through the crowd. His clothes are primarily in shades of green except for his cloak, which is light gray in colour. He holds the quarterstaff he carries slightly ahead of him, as if he is feeling his way through the crowd. Across his back a bow is slung and a full quiver of arrows hangs on his left hip.

He doesn't stand out as being very short or tall, nor does he look extremely bulky or thin. His face is clean-shaven and his hair hangs down his back in a long tail. In fact, the only thing about him that might strike somebody as odd are his eyes – light gray, and never moving. He just keeps staring straight ahead of him as he makes his way through the crowd. Just as he comes to Lorne and Scarlot's booth Pilocanci finishes what he was saying.

"If you two pair me up with Stephen Hawking, I'm going to be a bit upset."

"Upset? I'm sure these people will team you up with someone who will compliment your own skills, sir. Did I hear you mention adventurers?"

Pilocanci turned to look at the newcomer. The latter took a cigarette and a match from his pockets and used one to light the other, all without the slightest move of his head.

"Yeah. Apparently they need people to go on missions… it seemed interesting so I signed up."

"Missions, eh? What kind of missions?"

Here, Scarlot spoke up. She'd noticed how the stranger didn't move his eyes or indeed his head and had guessed correctly that he was blind. Even though she'd be wary if she had to fight him, there was a mixture of doubt, wonder and contempt in her voice.

"You know… general missions to other worlds that may leave you for dead on these worlds if you're not good enough."

"Sounds interesting, sign me up. The name's Stephen… Stephen Hascodem"

OOC : Edit : I cna tpyea 300 wdros pr mnutie :P

Edited by Venefyxatu

Gryphon emerges from the crowds that are beginning to populate the carnival as always happens during the day.

Pausing he reads the sign carefully and grins.

"I've done a bit of adventuring in my time... and I'm about keen for some more. Sign me up."

He grins, looking fierce and maybe a little feral as only a large preditor can, looking forward to the prospect of some excitement.

Just a note here, I've PMed the world descriptions to Pillow. Now that I've gone and done it once, I might as well do it again. If anyone who can't see the AVV would like to submit a mission let me know, and I'll either PM or email you the descriptions of the worlds that have been submitted.

Wyvern scurries through the Conservatory in a rush, pausing for a moment at the booth where Lorne and Scarlot sit in order to examine their sign. Scratching his scaly chin, the overgrown lizard glances left and right to make sure that the Scantavia Brothers aren't around, then grins gleefully and takes out a Quill.

"Finally, an unguarded bachelor sign up area. Seemsss almost to good to be true."

Lorne raises a brow upon hearing this and shifts in his chair. "Umm, actually-"

"Never did get a chance to sign up in that last Carnival." The overgrown lizard scrawls his name on the sign up sheet in an illegible hand. "Though I guess it did produce some favourable results."

"Listen lizard" growls Scarlot. "You-"

"Don't worry, they can have me for cheap, I won't overprice things" hisses Wyvern, winking to Scarlot. "Sssay, you wouldn't happen to be one of the bidders would you? If so, I can give you a 25% off deal if you invest in some Almost Dragonic Brand Stock Options.™"

"Out of the question" cries Scarlot, jumping from her seat. "And how dare you even suggest that I-"

The dark elf stops as Wyvern scurries off from the booth and hurries to another part of the Carnival, slapping her forehead at the misunderstanding and grumbling curses under her breath.

Gyrfalcon chuckled at the sign and shook his head, making to pass by the table, only to be stopped as Daryl dug an elbow into his ribs. "What?" the half-elf asked his companion, who was in his human form this day.

"They're looking for adventurers, Gyr, and you're not signing up?" Daryl asked with a grin.

Gyrfalcon shrugged. "It's not like there aren't plenty of others who are up to the challenge... for that matter, if you're so interested, why don't you apply?" The ranger said pointedly.

Daryl laughed loudly, drawing a derisive glance from Scarlot. "Didn't you read the sign? Wimps need not to apply." he explained with a grin.

"And you call yourself a wimp? After the things I've seen you do?" Gyrfalcon said with an amused smirk.

"Yup, wimpy as all heck. You on the other hand are a veteran adventurer, and surely no wimp if half the tales I've read of you are true!" Daryl said with a wide grin.

Gyrfalcon looked irritated. "You shouldn't believe everything you read in a book, you know."

Daryl chuckled. "I only have to believe a tenth to know you've been on more adventurers then I've ever imagined."

Gyrfalcon muttered something under his breath. "A pox on all bards." it sounded like to Daryl, before shaking his head. "You still haven't given me a reason why I should sign up." he argued.

"Because I'll be incessantly annoying if you don't. Besides, it'll be a nice break from patrolling around the Pen, and I know you've been saying you should go on a vacation." Daryl countered.

Gyrfalcon raised an eyebrow. "And going off questing can be counted as a vacation?" he said dryly.

Daryl nodded. "Of course! See new places, eat strange food, meet interesting people and kill them... what's not to like?"

Gyrfalcon couldn't help but laugh. "The fact they'll be trying to kill me back?" he countered.

Daryl grinned. "That just makes it more fun. Now you have justification!"

Gyrfalcon sighed. "Fine, fine, I'll sign up, but more to keep you out of my hair then any other reason."

Gyrfalcon shook his head before walking over to stand before Scarlot and Lorne. "Since I've been pursuaded into signing up for one of these missions, where to I sign?" he asked.

Scarlot slid a contract and waver before him and he paged through it briefly, grinning a bit at the clause about being drawn and quartered. "Got to watch those desert nomads." he commented as he signed his name at the bottom.

"You'll be contacted shortly about the nature of your mission." Lorne said as he gathered the contract up. "Just so you know, you'll be given a partner for this mission." He said, and the half-elf nodded in agreement.

"I'll be seeing you soon then." he said before wandering down towards one of the refreshment tents, where Daryl was arguing over whether or not one of his coins was false or not.

OOC: FYI I'm extending the deadline 48 hours. Missions will be assigned on Wednesday the 29th. We have some great missions and you now have until Wednesday if you wanted to sign up but haven't, or if you want to sbmit a mission. Mostly the extension is due to the Holidays taking up more time than I anticipated as well as being gone all day and night yesterday at a birth. :0)

Happy Adventuring!

~Salinye :fairy:

The wolf growls back at the sleek tigress, squirming under her weight as she pins her down.

::Well, do you give?::

Mumbling and snarling, the wolf finally lets out a deep sigh.

::Okay, okay... but it's not fair when you can shapechange into a cat bigger than me. ::

::Who said war is fair?::

::War? Who's in a war? And I'd appreciate if you just let me go, Katz. You're rumpling my fur... ::

::Besides knotting it. ::

Katz grins at Tanny's indignant yelp, and lets her go.

::Kidding... ::

Tanny shakes herself, making a point of letting her tail whip Katzaniel's nose. The tigress sneezes, changing back to tigertaur and glaring.

Tanny also changes back to human form and looks levelly at her. "So, why do you want me to sign up?"

"Because I won the fight?"

"Hmph. Besides that." Tanny snatches the paper from Scarlot's hand, pointedly ignoring her scowl.

"It will be fun. And besides, you did leave your curriculum at the guild some ages ago, remember?"

Tanny gets a quill to sign at the dotted line, pausing as if to still argue with her friend.

"And you've been too lazy," cuts the tigertaur, crossing her arms and letting her claws scratch the ground. "It seems you forgot how restless you were, wanting to have a bit of adventuring. It's good to leave the comforts of the Keep for a while. One never knows when we'll need our sharpest skills."

Tanny sighs, finally signing the contract. "Okay, okay... you did win the fight, after all. But I hope I won't repent this. "

Edited by Tanuchan

"Got to watch those desert nomads," Gyrfalcon chuckles before walking away from the stand. A few steps later, he feels a warm, dry wind brush by behind him. Turning quickly, he catches a glimpse of a man in light tan clothing brush by toward the adventurers booth. Speak of the devil... he thinks as he turns his mind toward a cup of hot chocolate.

Meanwhile, the man has arrived at the booth and, without saying a word, takes a contract and waiver from Scarlot and signs them quickly without reading either. Taking a look at the forms, Lorne notices that the signatures, while legibly written, aren't in any language he's ever seen. "Um, could you possibly write your name below in a more common language, so we know who to call?"

The newcomer stared at him for a minute without speaking. Then, just before Lorne went to find someone with a greater knowledge of languages, the man took the contract and wrote beneath his signature "Shaman Sardin." Then walked a few steps away and sat, cross-legged on the ground, awaiting his mission.