The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Tree, confessional and attatched caverns search

Salinye

As Salinye leaves to search for Annael she finds Gryphon waiting for her just outside.

"I said I'd like to start my search outside rather than in caverns. While there may not be many traces of her from the air, it can't hurt to look. Who knows I might be able to come up with some magic that'll help out... Besides, you know your way around here much better than I do, may I join you?"

Walking up to the two, Anna gave a bow and spoke as well.

Anna-"Greetings. I'm no slouch when it comes to the out doors. If you would have me...it would be an honor to join you on your search. Besides, caves really aren't my element."

Edited by Black9

M'avron was working quietly on the forest of The Pen when he felt a disturbance in the woods, someone close to them was disturbed, agitated. Although he had never entered the keep (his background and parentage made him nervous and uncomfortable amongst large amounts of people and buildings formed from stone) he felt honourbound to try and aid the person, both as a token of thanks to The Pen for letting him stay and as a gesture of friendship to the troubled person, whoever he or she may be. Taking up his Staff and calling his cat to his side, he made his way to the edge of the forest to await some sign of people leaving the Keep.

M'avron story (http://www.patrickdurham.net/themightypen/index.php?showtopic=12728)

Salinye smiled to her two search companions. “I’m honored to be aid to the two of you.” Annael’s tree is just at the forest edge. We can have a look in the courtyard on our way out, although I’m sure she’s nowhere as obvious as that, but you never know where you’ll find information.

Gryphon was already flying low circles around the courtyard by the time Anna and Salinye reached it. “Nothing looks out of the ordinary, to me, but we can spend some time here if you two wish, but I’m guessing it would be smarter to check the other places mentioned first.”

Salinye and Anna nodded their agreement and the three headed out of the courtyard towards the forest line. Gryphon stayed just ahead of them this time, as he wasn’t sure of the exact location of Annael’s tree. The air was fresh and crisp, too lovely of a day to be ruined by an abduction. “Hault!” Gryphon called down to them in a loud whisper. “There is someone there among the trees.”

Salinye and Anna stopped in their tracks and scanned the forest. At first she didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, however, after a few moments she noticed a humanoid shape among the trunks and low branches of the trees. Her elven eyes were keen, but not as keen as that of a bird. Calling a spell to the to recesses of her consciousness she called out to the “stranger.” “Hello there! Please show yourself.”

Being in the air and therefore immersed in his chosen element it is the work of a moment to gather some energy and create a basic shield against magical attack in case the newcomer proves to be hostile.

While Salinye hails the stranger in the woods Gryphon continues to circle ready to fly in and attack should it become necessary.

Anna unstrapped her mace in a show of confidence. Basically, she was confident...confident in her inability to wield the weapon properly. She'd never let it out, but the only reason she had the thing was in remembrance of her father. Truth was...the only real form of combat Anna was skilled in was a form of martial arts and most of that training was in hand to hand format. Perhaps this was because her father didn't want her to take up his sword...but one thing was clear and that was that Anna wasn't going to let anything kill her wild spirit. Giving a nod Salinye's way, Anna motioned that she was ready for anything...or anyone.

Slowly M'avron emerged from where he had been watching at the forest edge, his feline companion at his side and his hands raised in a gesture of peace.

"Be at ease, Pennites. My name is M'avron, and I have only recently come to this world. Despite that I already owe you much. Another of your number healed me from certain death without even knowing me, I've been allowed to stay in this forest without performing any services."

The strangers voice was smooth and confident, yet still contained traces of uncertaintity as his golden eyes flickered from one stranger to the next.

"A short while back I felt a disturbance in the forest...something troubles the trees. I wondered if you might know more about it?"

Gryphon lands a short distance away from where Salinye is standing to make conversation with this newcomer a little easier.

We are searching for one who was known to spend some time out here. You might have seen her, an angel with a butterfly swarm?

She has recently gone missing, perhaps that is somehow linked to the disturbance you felt?

Should our travels take us in the same direction we can check out this disturbance with you, likewise if you are happy to help us search for our friend Annael we'll welcome your company.

You should be aware that we bear magical rings to aid us in our search - many of those searching have other calls on their time and these rings are supposed to help us return to the group should our other duties call us away. If you want to come with us to search for the angel it might be a good idea if we wait while you retrieve a ring from Elrohir back in the Conservatory. That way should you get called away to other duties you'll at least come back to one of the search groups.

M'avron looked closely at the ring Gryphon was wearing.

"Fascinating...that magic should be so common here that such artefacts can be made..."

He turned his gaze to the walls of the Pen Keep, and a visible shudder passed through him at the thought of entering such a place. Instead he glanced down at his companion.

"Go and find this Elrohir and bring back me back one of these rings. I will wait for you here."

The cat rubbed itself gently against M'avron's legs purring slightly, before dashing off towards the keep.

Gryphon looked doubtfully at the stranger. "Are you sure a cat is going to be smart enough to do that?"

"Oh you'd be surprised at just how smart she is." M'avron grinned back. "I haven't seen any sign of angels in this forest, least of all followed around by a swarm of butterflies! Still, as soon as my cat returns I'll be happy to help in the search."

Anna restrapped her mace and walked up to the two. With a bow she spoke.

Anna-"Greetings, M'avron. I do apologies for the rather rude welcome before. In my family line...I've learned to be over cautious when meeting others."

Edited by Black9

Salinye, having kept silent during the pleasant exchanges, took the opportunity to eye the "newcomer" while his attention was on the others. As his cat left on it's assigned task he M'Avron turned his gaze to her, having been the only person who had not introduced herself to him. "I'm Salinye. I've been around Pen Castle for a couple of years now, and I don't recall every coming across you before, or hearing about you. However, considering the situation, I'll take you at your word. As Gryphon said, you are of course, welcome in our search if your intentions are honorable. While we wait for your companion, I'll show you to Annael's tree." The mage smiled to soften the suspicious edge of her words.

Within two minutes, they were all four standing beneath the large tree that housed so many fond memories for many of the Pennites. "Well, this is it." Salinye said as Gryphon flew up among it's branches. "This is no ordinary angel we are looking for, she is a fallen angel and her wings are black. We should be especially aware of any loose feathers lying about. She would often lose them."

Climbing up into the tree she sat on a branch about a third of the way up it's trunk and looked out across the grass to the keep. Heaving a great sigh she mumbled to herself; "where are you, Annael?"

Edited by Salinye

Looking up the trunk of the tree...Anna became lost in heavy thought. It was like this for a few seconds...when she felt a bite at her back. Turning around...all she saw was the purple and pink butterfly. Shaking this off as a random occurrence...Anna returned once more to her thought. You guessed it...the bite was once again felt from behind her. As was the case with Anna's powers...they activated as she showed more emotion. By this point the butterfly was becoming quite annoying as Anna turned and tried to swat it away. Unbeknownst to the maiden...Anna had failed to realize the beautiful white wings that had sprouted from her back. It was only after Salinye had pointed them out that Anna realized they were there and at the same time...wondered exactly how? Deciding to take advantage of the situation...Anna sprung into the tree with great ease.

Anna-"Black feathers, huh? I'll keep an eye out for them." About half way up the tree, Anna felt another nip at her back and shrugged it off as she'd thought it that blasted butterfly. It was then that she noticed the butterfly flying just infront of her.

Anna-"Wait a minute? If your there...there who's?" She figured it out...only far too late. Feeling the tip of an arrow tap the small of her back once more...Anna heared a voice calling out to her in a quiet whisper.

Voice-"Back away slowly and you won't be hurt. Call for your friends and I can't promise anything." It was at times like these that Anna truly hated entering. Doing as the voice said...a note was left on the limb of the tree where Anna had been.

Note

----------

You have entered a restricted area...leave now and we will let you be. Leave not...and who knows what can happen!

Edited by Black9

• 2 weeks later...

The small group of people stood around the tree, watching the Keep for signs of M'avron's cat and discussing the note found on the tree limb. As they watched they saw a dark shape emerging from the keep and moving towards them. At first they believed it to be the returning cat, but as it drew closer they saw it was human. The figure was extremely unremarkable; the sort of person you see but forget thier appearance ten minutes after he has left. He also appeared to be walking strangly, as if he was unused to moving about.

"Greetings my friends!" His voice was as unremarkable as his apearance. On his finger he bore a ring surrounded with butterflies. "I'm new to the Keep, but as I was settling in a strange man walked in, handed me a ring and gave me directions to this place! Would anyone care to..." The figure cut off as M'avron stepped out from behind Anneal's tree.

"That's enough Xalthed!" M'avron's usually mild voice was stern now and his fellow companions looked between him and the stranger with confusion. The more cautious of them layed thier hands on thier various weapons.

"Ah, M'avron. How pleasant to see you again." Despite the strangers words his face was twisted and his eyes looked angry.

"You cannot decieve these people, brother. They will see through your disguises soon enough. Change back Now." As M'avron said the last word he pulled his Staff from his belt. The green gem at its tip blazed with energy and his golden eyes shone with inner fire.

For a moment the stranger looked as if he was going to resist. His face took on a stubborn look and his arms raised as if to fight. Slowly M'avron lowered his Staff so that the gem was aimed at the newcomer. With a snarl of frustration the figures shape shimmered, flickered, and chaned. In it's place was a lean creature resembling a five-foot two-legged frog. The figures skin was a dappled grey, its fingers long and clawed. It's only clothing was a loincloth. In its hands it bore a staff that appeared to be formed from two arm bones blaced end to end, a human skull cradled in the hand at the top of the staff. The arms and skull were completely black and inscribed with many runes.

M'avron lowered his Staff and turned to the rest of the group. "This is my blood brother, Exsanguis. I apologise for his deception, since he wont do so himself."