The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Crossing

Black9

Meanwhile, in a old, darkened cavern located within the lands of Terra...was heard nothing...nothing but a few faint sounds that were briskly edging their way ever closer. The scene was tense as Anna ran with all her might. Most would describe Anna as a young, good looking brunette of around twenty years of age. She had been attempting to escape this unforseen force for some time now, though her efforts were all too minutely effective. Her breaths were heavy as the echoes of her mad dash swept by and vanished into the darkness of the caves. It was then that a voice was heard from the shadows surrounding her.

Fang-"You can run little girl...but you can't hide!" By this time, however, Anna had been running for so long...that her legs were giving out and as soon as they did...she was as good as dead. 'Have to keep running! Can't let Fang catch me! Father, I'm sorry!' Rounding a corner, Anna could see nothing but darkness ahead and what's worse...she had just reallized that she had gone and gotten herself lost within the cavern. 'No way out! I must escape!' Fang then appeared before her with a wicked grin and with a mere push...shoved her to the ground. Landing on her rear with a rather hard thud, Anna knew, at that moment, that she would need a miracle to escape this situation with her life. Father! 'Please! I need your help...this time more than ever!' A flash of power was felt from behind ...as Anna turned to find a filter of light seeping from seemingly nowhere. The sheer brilliance of the light had all but blinded both combatants for a few precious moments and without a second thought...Anna rushed its direction with all that she could muster. 'What's this? Is it you, Father? Did you answer my call for aid? Thank you, Father.' A few seconds later, a beautiful array of multicolored lights flickered on and off from random directions. A short blackout later, Anna awoke from her daze and little did she know...she wasn't on Terra anymore.

Anna-"Where? Where am I? This place...it looks and feels so...different." Not a moment passed, however, when out from the nothingness behind her, came soaring another form. Fang had the look of bewilderment upon his face, but the vampire thought little of it as he caught the first glance of his target. Truth be told, there were very few vampire who could match the overwhelming power of Fang. Back on Terra, he was known as a scurge, perhaps even worse than The Warlord of Death...though little else was known of his hidden agenda. 'No! How could he have followed me here?' Wasting no time, Anna took to her feet and tried her best to take down the big lug, but failed miserably upon her attempt. Fang simply caught her foot in the air as she flung her body his way and sent her plummeting to the ground with a hard crack. It was obvious that something had broken, but in the stress of the situation, Anna had a hard time locating what it was. Fang released Anna's leg as he knew her time of being a threat was over...done...finito...and with much pain, she took quickly to her feet rushing off into the thick underbrush of the forest.. Lost and with a healthy sense of fear, Anna could think of nothing much to do...but run!

OOC: Feel free to join in on this story. It's my way of moving on and joining the group. If you didn't notice...she's in the pen now:)

The sun was nearing its zenith, as it had done countless times before. At the base of the largest tree in the forest, a great tiger opened its eyes, as it too had done many times. Leaves fluttered down from above, and that was perfectly normal. The cat cocked its head, though, listening carefully. Something in her forest was amiss.

From a distance, sounds could be heard, indicating a chase. Humans, thought Katzaniel, by the clamour. Curiousity piqued when the tiger realized that one was injured. This was no ordinary game of tag, or any other mundane Pen activity. This was somebody chasing someone else, probably with the intent to further do them harm.

The large cat was on her feet, only seconds after having opened her eyes. She stood still for a second, her body morphed, the body of a black sleek panther rippling along, from head to toe, the creature. Satisfied with this faster, more inconspicuos form, Katzaniel took off after the humans.

Anna donned a finely knit tank top mid-drift. The pink tank top was bordered in a fine silk both around the neck and naval. She also wore a pair of blue jean cut offs, ending half way down her thigh with a tidy looking fold at the end. The tan moccosins on her feer were of a decorative design and served her greatly in her martial arts maneuvers. Her long brown hair waved wildly in the wind blustering around her, occasionally covering her bright blue eyes. Her magic mace slung behind her glimmered in the fading sun. Before Anna could respond or even grasp the situation, Fang vanished from the spot where he lay just as the two wanderers glanced her way. Pointing behind them with her left arm, she felt a fit of pain and realized she must have broken it in the fall. Nary caring about the pain, however, Anna spoke these words with much haste and fear in her voice.

Anna-"I'll explain later! Just watch out behind you!" Just as Yan Yan and Katzaniel noticed this, they turned and were immediatly jumped by the form of a now unsurprised and very angry vampire. Fang, dressed mostly in a pure black uniform and cape much like the one wielded by the Warlord of Death, took to action with a vengence as he rushed forward to strike his mark. Both Yan Yan and Katzaniel leapt out of the way as the sheer power behind the force of Fang's strike struck the ground with great force. The fact that he was taken off guard had simply created a volcano of anger within him...and he did not take losing well! Raising into the air once more, Fang gave out a war cry that could be heard from miles around and almost unsheathing his sword from his side...he decided to take care of this in another fashion.

Fang-"I am Fang, the almighty and virtually undisputed vampire lord! You! The one that gave me that beating! You're a skilled soldier for one so young. Next time I won't be caught off guard!" Saying nothing more, Fang swallowed his pride...for the moment...and vanished from their sight. Turning back to Anna, they gave another gaze her way and she knew that it was time to explain herself...or try. Anna had found that her former fear was all but forgotten, but nonetheless, a small bit still lingered.

Anna-"Greetings, I am Anna, daughter of..." Thinking about her dilemna, Anna chose not to state her father's name and title. "a Slayer. I wanted to thank you for saving me...though I know very little of the situation at hand. Fang, the vampire you just met, forced me into a set of strange caverns in which I can only describe as...another world. Far within those very caverns, I came across a brilliant light and with no other options available to me...entered its grasps with much haste. Lost and confused on the other side of the...I don't know...portal of some sort...I just ran. If I may ask...where are we?" The pain from Anna's arm seemed minimal at this point in time...as she had literally worlds on her mind and very few answers...for these people seemed well intentioned and generally helpful souls, but one never knows what a person holds lurking inside and Anna chose to holdback...at least until the time was right.

"That probably wasn't a great way to welcome her the Pen," mused Katzaniel, who had morphed into her tigertaur form upon entering the clearing. "Nevertheless, set her on my back... you're right, we need to find someone who can help us heal her more fully. And can help her to feel comfortable here."

Yan Yan, shrugging, puts Anna on the tigertaur's muscular back, draping her arms so that she would not fall easily. Katzaniel reaches over her shoulders and holds Anna's hands, keeping her upright.

"There are a few that I know of who came here from other lands. Perhaps one of them even knows her, or at least knows her homeland and can help her reach it?" As the two walk along, Katzaniel tries to mentally list those who might be of help.

As Katzaniel, with Anna on her back, and YanYan skirt a lake in their way back to the Pen, they come upon an oblivious black wolf sunning on a rocky ledge protruding somewhat over the clear blue waters. Anna gives a muffled cry of surprise, and the wolf immeadiately stands up, alertness in her eyes. Recognizing both Katz and YanYan, she relaxes.

"Tanny!" calls Katz, patting Anna's hands to calm her.

Tanny shimmers back into her human form, startling Anna. "Are all of you... shapechangers, then?" whispers her, wondering.

"Not all, don't worry," says YanYan with a grin.

"Hey, Katz! What do you have there? I thought you didn't like playing the horse... " Tanny grins, teasing. But as soon as she approaches, she notices Anna's raggard face and the wound YanYan has bound. "What happened?"

"Tanny, do you know any healing arts by any chance? She needs help, and a safe place." There's urgency in the tigertaur's voice, and Tanny nods.

"We found her deep in the forest," explains YanYan while helping Anna dismount, "She was being attacked by a... well, vampire lord... "

Tanny turns sharply to him, and both him and Katz nod grimly. She then turns her attention fully on Anna, taking her near the water and undressing her wound.

"What's this?"

"Fire algae paste. It has narcotic properties."

Tanny promptly finds earth's energy, grounding and centering automatically in that place that she is most familiar with. Carefully straightening Anna's arm, she channels the energy into it. A green glow involves the arm as broken bones start mending and torn flesh smoothes itself, closing the wounds.

As she finishes the more urgent task, Tanny starts channeling water energy, weaving it together with earth's. Anna sighs, feeling a sudden cool wave of soothing involve and relax her. Tanny catches her as she slumps into the ground.

"She'll sleep now. It will help her body while the healing finishes." Tanny lets the flows go, knowing that the energy infused into Anna's body will work slowly towards complete healing in some hours, nothing else happening.

"Now, what?" asks her, as YanYan picks Anna in his arms and deposits her carefully on Katz' back.

"We need to find a safe place for ther to rest, and stay for a while. We don't know anything about her... "

"The Keep. If it was a vampire lord, I cannot offer any protection."

Tanny shimmers into her wolf form, and the four of them proceed towards the Pen.

While all this was happening, Anna knew not what to think...what to do...what to say. Back on Terra, she was known as somewhat of a celebrity. She was the daughter of the great hero Joseph, Champion of the Light. When her father perished, she was given refuge in nearly any home that Joseph had helped to save. The only problem being...Anna was not known there by who she was, but rather what...she was the daughter of Joseph...the daughter of a hero and that was exactly how they addressed her. Around the time of her sleep, Anna had found herself in the world of dreams...or was it?

----------------------------------------------

Anna awoke from her daze, only to find herself laying within a seemingly forgotten meadow. The sight was glorious as the sun could just be seen rising. The array of colors eminating from the experience bathed the meadow with a force that only nature could design and brought with it a state of peace and tranquility. The grass beneath her was soft and lush...the flowers fragrant and delicate. Was this a dream...or was there another solution?

Anna-"Am I in the Alician Fields? Is this...Heaven?" It was then that a form came out of the shining array before her. It was the form a man...no...a soldier. The soldier wore a solid white platemail...decorated with a large red cross on the chest and small crosses on the shoulders. The sight of the man sent her back a few steps...as she knew his identity immediately.

Anna-"Father? Father, is that really you?"

Joseph-"Yes, Anna, it's me. I have been watching over you for some time, but the link we share grows weak given our distance from each other. I have tried my best to keep our link together, but the fact remains that we are worlds apart. If you remember nothing else of what I've taught you, my duaghter, I want you to remember this. Your path is not necessarily mine. You are your own person...with your own goals and your own will. Always remember that your name is Anna and not Joseph's daughter. It was then that Joseph aura started to fade.

Anna-"Father! Don't leave me...not now!"

Joseph-"My connection to your world grows weak." Gently placing his hand on Anna's shoulder, Joseph continued. "You have grown into a fine woman Anna and though I may not be with you in person...I will always be with you in spirit. There are those in this world that can help you. There are those in your world that may even know of me and my deeds. Seek them out and you will find your answers. I...love you...Anna..."

-----------------------------------------------------

With a sudden jolt, Anna awoke from her...dream...and found that they were once again on the go. Motioning that she was ok, Katzaniel lowered her muscular body enough to dismount and Anna took to her feet with as much vigor as ever. Anna knew that her strength was not full quite yet, but preferred to walk on her own power when possible. Anna hit the ground with a soft jolt to her arm and expecting pain, she braced for it. Noticing no pain, however, she glaced over her arm and gave a few tests to see if it had fully healed...or at least regained its function. Passing her tests, Anna once agin turned to the travelers and spoke.

Anna-"I wanted to apologise to you for my reactions before now. I don't know about the rest of your world...where ever it may be...but to you, I owe my life and I was brought up to always repay my debts. As I was saying before...my father is...what is that?" (bet you thought I'd say it that time...ha!) Anna said glancing toward the...(I'll let you explain the pen)

Elsewhere, however, Fang had just taken in the sight of a large town settled on the outskirts of the forest (not the pen).

Fang-"Finally! It took me long enough to find life on this miserable exuse of a...I don't know...place? You know what they say...out with the old kingdom...in with the new!" And with nary a thing left to say and evil laugh later...Fang continued toward his new target...his new victims!

From within the tower that once belonged to Heinrich, Vanessa watched the group of people approaching the keep. Absently she took a swig from the hip flask that was always by her side nowadays, brandy the only thing that dulled the pain of her memories. With her right hand she brushed her too-long hair out of her bloodshot eyes and squinted, trying to see better.

"A new person coming to the keep..." she murmred, her voice made harsh due to the recent days of heavy drinking. "I think I'll pop down and say hello, might be something interesting..."

Giving a shrill whistle, Vanessa summoned her Roc, Maralasoth, to the window. With a graceful leap marred only by a desperate grab at the powerful birds neck to steady herself she mounted Maralasoth, before sending her down to greet the newcomer.

Above the walls of the mighty Keep, something strange was happening to the sky. Despite the time of day the sun had changed from a bright golden yellow to the deep dark red associated with sunset. The clouds that were in the sky changed from thier former pale white to scarlet, seeming to have been drenched in blood. From nowhere there came the sound of rolling thunder even as a mighty wind tore through the woods around the Keep. Lightning flashed in jagged arcs, it's starting point bearing no relation to the clouds. The very ground began to tremble, and it was as if the very laws of nature were being altered. For one minute only did this last, one minute where nature lost control, where the gods were cast out of the loop, where chaos returned to the world in full. One minute onl, before the gods restored the balance. But it was enough...

Infront of the massive metal-sheathed gates of the keep, a figure staggered to it's feet. Instead of looking at it's surroundings, the figure seemed to be checking himself over. Its glowing red eyes traveled slowly across its form, taking in the sight of dark black scales where once there was skin, of claws where once nails were. Sniffing the air slightly, the figure caught the smell of brimstone. With hesitation born of fear the figure raised his clawed hands to his head, finding a pair of short horns.

In shock, the evil-looking creatures knees buckled and it collapsed to the ground. A peculiar mix of sobs and laughter came from the creatures throat as it knealt in the grass. He was back...but what was he?!

Fang ascended upon the town with the look of vengeance. The time had come to take back what was rightfully his...the land around him would soon be blanketed in darkness...shadowed in fear and torment...in short...chaos! 'The fools don't realize the mistake they made by crossing paths with the likes of me! They may have been able to stop my physical form...but what they fail to realize is that my physical arts of combat are weak.' Unsheathing his sword, Fang flung it aside...treating it as the usless junk it had become. 'The dark arts are my weapon...their power, my skill and with them...I will achieve all my demands! Play time is over.'

Guard1-"Halt! State your name and business."

Fang-"First things first...I don't take orders from you. Secondly, you will tell me where I am before I show you the way to the afterlife!"

Guard2-"You are standing before the town of Silent Hill and this town is very capable of defending itself!

Fang-"Where on Terra are we located?" The guards exchanged a quizical look, and turned back to the vampire lord.

Guards-"Terra? Where's this?"

Fang-"Do I have stupid written on my forehead?"

guard1-"You will state your name and business!"

Fang-"My deepest apologies...I am Fang and I am here to take over your town and create my new found kingdom of the dead." The look upon the faces of the two guards were pricless as they pulled their weapons and took up battle positions. Fang couldn't help but laugh as he motioned for them to attack. As they did so, however, they both vanished into a tear in the shadows of time and were in seconds sent to a realm Fang liked to call, The Shadow Realm. Upon their entry, they were met by a passing beast of indescribable proportions. The beast's angry cry was even heard through the tear in time as the screams of the guards quickly faded and spewed forth their shattered bones.

Fang-"Foolish mortals! You will all fall to my power...muahahahahaha!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more that happened in this new world...the more Anna felt that Terra had manifested all over again. Thinking back to a time less stressful, Anna could recall when Joseph often sat down and told her stories of the times long passed. Above all, she could remember the endless supply of peril...the danger that manifested itself around the corner and within every nook and cranny. Oddly enough, the sudden quake and thunderstorm combination made her feel a little homesick...though she couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad.

Anna-"I suppose the saying's true...things never do change." While saying this, however, Anna couldn't help but shed a tear...would she ever see her old world again? On the other hand...did she truly want to? The truth remained...that Anna didn't know and this frightened her most of all.

In the quarters Brygad had been assigned while his application with the AVV was pending, seemingly indefinitely, he carefully examined the device that had been described as a silver plated shatterbolt. He had no doubts as to the effectiveness of it at this point. It was most definitely made of silver, and it would most definitely shatter on penetration, with messy results for the target. He was more concerned now with how to create his own, scaled-up version of this weapon for his own use.

The business end on these bolts was designed quite well, so well that Brygad was considering stealing it and keeping a case of shatterbolts handy for special situations. The shaft was the standard though, which mean it was too short to fire from his own bow and liable to snap anyway if he adjusted it for shorter bolts.

The shafts were narrower than the ones he used, too, which meant it would be tricky to remove the heads from the shatterbolts and attach them to his own. He could do it of course, it’d just be a pain.

It was so inconvenient that undead don’t die if you just drive a spike through them. A vampire would usually go down if you stuck anything wooden in its heart, which was useful, but it had to stick there. That meant keeping the velocity of the bolt low enough so that it wouldn’t carry on clear through the creature’s body.

Killing stuff that was still alive was so much easier...

“Ah well, better go ask that Yanyan guy if he can get his people to make me custom bolts,” Brygad muttered to himself, giving up on finding an easy way to adapt the silver shatterbolts to his weapons. “maybe they’ll even give me a lesson on how to make my own.”

He doubted that, though. Mercenaries worked well together when they had the same employer, or employers with the same goal, often times to the detriment of said employer’s personal wealth, but stuff like these shatterbolts was usually treated as a trade secret. You kept your special talents special, that way you get hired instead of some other chump.

“Worst case scenario, I’ll just have to stick to my own stuff.” Brygad thought, “it’s not like that‘s so bad.”

He picked up one of his own, large crossbow bolts to serve as an example of the appropriate dimensions, and considered his crossbow. He didn’t normally walk around with it, as it was bloody heavy and truth be told looked somewhat foolish until it was completely set up. He didn’t really feel like hauling the weight all over the keep, but then again if the threat proved to be a serious one he felt even less like being attacked and nowhere near his favourite weapon. He brought it along.

Walking through the halls of The Mighty Pen Keep he was once again amazed by the diversity of creatures that dwelt here in addition to the usual scholars and poets. When first he’d heard of this place, he’d thought it would have a desperate need of talented mercenaries, as a bunch of artisans could hardly be counted on to defend themselves. He was becoming aware now that talented as he was, he was but the smallest drop in the enormous bucket of power The Pen had at its disposal. Despite their claim that “The Pen is Mightier than the Sword,” this guild could crush any military force Brygad had ever been in any way associated with.

At least two vampires were members of the guild. There was also a dragon or two, and if he understood correctly this “Dreamer” character that he had yet to see was a force to be reckoned with. And there were any number of mages of apocalyptic power.

No, he doubted that a single vampire, or a single anything that wasn’t a god for that matter, could prove any real threat to this keep. Still, best not to drop his guard entirely. You just never knew, it seemed.

“Ah, you must be Yanyan.” Brygad greeted the Red Wolf clan mercenary, who was currently attempting to convince Katzaniel that a repeating crossbow loaded with silver shatterbolts would be more effective than her own spear, and having very little success. “I hear you’re preparing us to face off against a vampire lord.”

“Hah, well, I don’t think he’ll give us too much trouble, I nearly killed him myself, earlier, but he might not be the only thing we’re up against, so I’m making sure we’re ready.” Yanyan responded, “here to help?”

“Yeah, the name’s Brygad,” Brygad explained, “I really like the look of these shatterbolts, but I’ve got a custom bow that I’ve gotten pretty used to, and it looks like the standard shatterbolt just isn’t going to fit it. There any way you can get me a handful of longer bolts?”

“It’s in your best interest to arm yourself with a crossbow that can fire the shatterbolts we’ve got.” Yanyan said, “Silver is usually a pretty good bet against vampires, I can get you a Red Wolf Clan bow if you need one, I’m sure they’re of the quality you’re used to.”

This Yanyan fellow seemed to be pretty willing to take command, as well as pretty sure he knew best, or at least better than everyone else. Still, if a mercenary had some actual experience and was both still alive and still possessed of that attitude it usually meant it was at least somewhat justified.

“Eh, no thanks on the account of the bow. I can probably modify a few bolts myself, and if it comes down to it, one way or another I’m not going to need more than two.”

With a loud downrush of air Maralasoth landed lightly in one of the many courtyards of the Keep. Her rider dismounted rather less gracefully, her usually good sense of balance distored this time by fear rather than drink. Quickly she grabbed the nearest Pen member who seemed to know what they were doing.

"We're under attack! There's a demon at the south gate!"

Then she fainted, her last thought being the hope that she wouldn't have to see the hideous creature again.

Tanny looks at the cumbersome repeating crossbow, then at Brygad and YanYan still talking. Softly, she taps the Scout's shoulder.

"Sorry, YanYan... I can't possibly carry this around... I'm at my best with a good pair of claws and teeth."

She smiles at his look, continuing, "Oh, I can use well a bow and a short sword, but I'm sure there are other people who are much more skilled than me and that will gladly pick the crossbow. But..."

She's interrupted by a panicked girl, babbling something about a demon at the south gate.

"What?"

"Vanessa... she arrived on Maralasoth ... there's a demon... "

Tanny turns to YanYan, urgent, "Where's Anna?"

~~~

Edit: making it coherent with next post.

Edited by Tanuchan

"Very well. Go find her," says YanYan to Tanny, with a heavy sigh and thoughts already on this new problem, apparently not noticing a surprised and angry flash in her eyes as he treats her as a simple messenger.

For a second, a quick retort comes to Tanny's mind, but she shrugs it off with a shake of her head.

He's taking charge when there's no one else around right now. He has the right.

She just shimmers into her wolf form and runs to the Chapel of Shards. I'll talk to him later. For now, I must find Anna. If this demon was sent by Fang...

As she enters the corridor leading to YanYan's quarters, she senses a dim thought from him. However, the distance and the weakness of his skill make it difficult for her to understand it completely, ::... serious ... huge ... Vanessa ... right.:: . There's another urgent feeling that drowns the weak sending, and she sprints to the Chapel.

Magic... channeling... Katz!!

As she enters the Chapel she finds Katz on the floor, trying to stand up dizzily. Back into her human form, she pushes her friend back to a sitting position, examining the cut she has on her forehead.

Some minutes later, YanYan arrives. "What the hell happened here?!"

"The Mirror," Katz responds, "Anna used the Mirror. I tried to stop her, but she threw me into a wall." Behind Tanny and Katz, the Mirror shimmers.

Finishing the healing, Tanny turns to the mirror. After some seconds, she looks at YanYan. "I can sense magic, used recently... but there's something not quite right here."

"What do you mean?"

"The energy is... twisted."

Both YanYan and Katz look at her questioningly, and Tanny reaches again for the earth flow. "You both know I can channel the energy from earth. I sense it slightly twisted near the mirror. I don't know what could have caused it... either the Mirror being activated, or maybe Anna... we never had the chance to talk to her. Why is it that a Vampire-lord came to this place pursuing her?"

She stands up, facing both of them. "Anna has disappeared and we have a demon at our gates. We need more help."

"We don't have time. I have a plan, but I need a way to immobilize the demon. Can you do it?"

Tanny hesitates, frowning. YanYan talks quickly, urgency in his voice and manners. "Can you or can't you?"

There's an edge at her voice as she answers coldly, "Maybe I can, but I'm not a mage, Chief Scout. I manipulate energy, I cannot create things from nothing. "

Katz, practical, pushes both of them out of the Chapel, running back to the battlement. "You can talk diplomatically later, can't you? I don't like the scream I've just heard!"

Tanny nods, now hearing Malarasoth's screech, "I can't work too fast, but I think I'll be able to." After a second, on arriving at the walls, she completes, "Don't rush me. It's pretty complex. You may have to buy some time... but I think this is something you know how to do."

YanYan nods, while yelling for someone to get him hay and a torch.

Katz looks at Tanny as she sits on the floor, looking for a comfortable position. "What are you doing, Tanny?"

"A big hole... under our friend outside." She smiles, already tapping the earth for the energy she needs.

Edit: formatting

Edited by Tanuchan

Anna awoke once again in a daze. She couldn't make sense of it all. First, the chaos at the gate...then the mirror and now she was in some strange...temple...or at least that's all she could come up with. It was then that the voice came back...that's it...before the mirror incident...there was a voice! The voice was rugged with the sounds of a wicked laugh echoing around it.

Fang-"Anna! Anna, can you hear me?"

Anna-"Yes...but who are you!?!"

Fang-"I am your new master! The name is Fang!" Anna winced at the name as she quickly recognized it and fell to one knee in shock. The strange power eminating from the voice seemed to carry with it some kind of mind control.

Anna-"Fang! How can you be accomplishing this? You are no mage!

Fang-"Ah, how little you know of me. I am extremely well versed in the arts of magic and you would do well to recognize my true and ultimate power!" It was at this time that the darkness within Anna sprang to life and grew in strength at an extraodinary rate.

Anna-"No! I am the Daughter of Joseph, Champion of the Light. I possess, by my birthright the power that dwelled deep within him and I will not be taken advantage of without a fight!" Slowly getting back to her feet and not caring much about anything happening around her...Anna's body started to glow with an outstanding outpour of holy energy. So much in fact, that if someone had been standing in the room with her at the time...the sheer force of it would send them back.

Fang-"You can run, little girl...but you can't hide! Your father left you with nothing but a memory!"

Anna-"No! My Father was a great hero...and that...memory will send you back to where you came from! Now...Fang...say uncle!"The holy power continued to grow from around her body climbing ever higher with every passing second...and with a mighty scream, the now pulsating holy force sent shock waves down the nearby corridors of the temple and eradicated Fang's control over her actions. This down, however, Anna felt very weak...so weak in fact...that she could barely keep herself on her feet.

Anna-"What did I just do? I can't...use magic...can I?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fang

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pushing ever deeper in the town of Silent Hill, Fang's power was all but unstoppable compared to the town's defenses. By this time, however, the very atmosphere of the town had changed. The air was stale. The light that once filled the streets was now shrouded in a blanket of darkness and a slow mist was spreading through the town as if controlled by some form of dark magic.

Citizens-"Run for your lives! The Vampire can't be stopped!" A soldier stepped in to take on the beast, but was quickly enveloped in the oncoming mist and vanished. Not a second later, that very same soldier came rushing back out...only...he'd been changed.

Fang-"Hahahahaha, fool! Anyone who even touches my mist becomes like me...a new found member of the dead! You will now enjoy the life of a zombie from this day forward!" The soldier, now in the form an infectious zombie...was followed by a massive army of the past citizens that came in contact with the mist. The army of the dead was comprised of mostly virus-carrying zombies and killer wraiths. Only a privileged few were granted the honor of vampire hood.

Fang-"Go, my minions! Spread your plague...create more brethren and stomp all forces that would dare to oppose us!" Fang only laughed as his minions took up the strategy of divide and conquer. "Soon, Anna, your soul will be mine...you will serve my bidding and I will show these fools what real power is!

When Yanyan ran off to search for reinforcements, Brygad did the only reasonable thing he could think of and start folding out his bow. If Brygad was supposed to keep it busy while Yanyan got help, he couldn’t think of any better way to do that than punching the demon full of holes.

Brygad worked quickly, with tremendous dexterity born of a great deal of experience. The mass of steel, wood, and wire on his back rapidly transformed from a silly looking bundle of steel, wood and wire to an enormous crossbow. Once it was in firing-form, he began the process of winding it.

Despite being a fairly strong man, and his arms having wound the bow many times in the past, the draw weight of the crossbow was too great to wind it on the move, so Brygad remained in the courtyard. After the first set of arms were locked he stayed where he was and continued winding, the demon didn’t seem to be attacking just yet, and there was no point in rushing into a combat with a demon while anything less than fully prepared.

Only when the second set of arms and the return spring were locked as well did Brygad ascend the battlements, turning the enormous crossbow sideways in order to get it up the stairwell. When he did reach the top, several scholars were standing on the battlement watching the demon with great interest and far less fear than was normal in situations like this. The Pen had no garrison to speak of.

Brygad snapped the bow to his shoulder, braced himself, and looks through its sight at the demon. The creature was clearly what Venessa had claimed it to be, a demon. Brygad fired.

Simultaneously, the demon stood from its crouching position and the earth gave an unexpected heave. The result was that the demon staggered slightly, moving its centre of mass, and Brygad’s point of aim jumped a little in the opposite direction. A bolt could have been used as a light javelin hurtled just over the beast’s left shoulder and embedded itself nearly the full length of the shaft into the earth a few yards from where the creature stood.

A series of loud “clunking” noises were emitted from Brygad’s crossbow, and the firing arms were drawn back into the locked position as another bolt loaded.

Even more interesting, however, was the way the bolt in the earth next to the Demon began to move toward it. The “why” but not the “how” of this phenomenon was quickly revealed as a pit seemed to materialize about the creature. Earth seemed to rush toward it and disappear, dropping the creature into a rapidly deepening hole in the ground.

*Pilocanci the Unholy walks out of his temperary quarters with four other sharpeins; his political cabinet. Collie Pawell, Pilocanci's secretary of state, informed the ousted Presidente of the situation outside.*

"Hmm," Pilocanci replied," how soon can we get our gliders off the ground?"

"Two hours, Presidente," Pawell answered," but we don't have any pilots."

"I forgot about that," Pilocanci sighed.

"What about magic," Secretary of Investigation Jawl Arfcroft suggested.

"Good idea," Pilocanci cheerfully replied," Who's that?" Pilocanci pointed with a paw at Tanuchan.

"Tanuchan, Presidente," Pawell stated," she's a shape changer."

"Very well," Pilocanci said," go use some smelling salts to wake up the human that fainted. I'll see if I can enlist this 'Tanuchan' for some help." As his political cabinet went to revive Vanessa, Pillow walks over to Tanuchan, who has just finished her spell. In his native Sharpein, he adresses the Tanuki," Good day. I am former Presidente Georg W. Pilocanci. I was politely wondering if I could enlist your aid?"

Tanny hears a barking right besides her, and find the small, cute sharpei looking at her curiously. She smiles, fondling him under the chin tiredly.

"Hey, you're cute... but this is not a place for you... "

The dog gruffs and snorts, sitting and looking straight at ther eyes while yapping and barking. Tanny looks at him, trying to make her foggy mind focus on something that calls her attention but that she cannot pinpoint. She shakes her head, feeling suddenly drained.

Above the battlements, YanYan looks down at the demon, who howls in fury at finding himself stuck waist-deep into a tight-fitting hole, with some vines creeping around him and hindering his upper torso movements. Tanny notices the Scout grabbing the hay, and feels the sudden channeling of magic as a sudden wind comes.

"Tanny, are you alright?"

"Yeah... just... drained." She stands up with Katz' help, then looks at the sharpei, who by now seems to be getting angry. "I know you want something... but I just can't think right now... "

Pillow's eyes glare at Tanny, then he steps back when a wolf appears suddenly where she had been. The wolf sits and rests her head on her paws tiredly, but stares at the sharpei.

::Well, little one... I can't understand very well your language... we are related but wolfish and doggish aren't that similar. Can you understand me?::

Tanny blinks as her mind tries to grasp both the barks and the thoughts, but soon she nods, ::Good enough... understandable for us both. Like related languages. Now, Mr. Pilocanci, what aid do you need, and how did you come to us exactly when we have an annoying demon at our gates?::

A rush of hot air touches Tanny's fur, and she turns as quickly as possible to see what seems a fiery whirlwind descending over the demon. YanYan grins, and Brygad lowers his crossbow.

Edited by Tanuchan

*Collie Pawell walks over to both Tanuchan and Pilocanci. In Sharpein, the former Secretary of State informs the ousted Presidente of Vanessa's wakening.*

"Very good, Mr. Pawell,"Pilocanci complements," You understand Wolfish, right?"

"Yes, sir," the black-colored Sharpein answered after looking at the wolf laying down near them," Do you want me to translate for you?"

"If you would be so kind, Mr. Pawell." Secretary of State (former) Pawell translated for the former dictator. Pilocanci began.

"Ms. Tanuchan, I am former Presidente Policanci. I can see that you are fatigued, and I apologise for this inconveniance. I came here as a political refugee with my staff. I was wanting to see if you knew how to fly a glider. We have seven war gliders and only myself and Mr. Arfcroft as pilots. the gliders can be ready in two hours to help fight the demon outside of the gates, but with no one else to fly the other five, we won't have enough firepower in the air to matter. If you or someone else has any piloting skills, it would be greatly appreciated if you would aid us. I'll explain our presence here later when there is more time."

Citizen-"Hello?" The voice seemed to come from the corridor, but who was it? Did it really matter? By this time, Anna had figured she was a danger to any who were willing to take her in...for it was painfully obvious that Fang would stop at nothing to obtain her. It was also clear that he had learned how to track her anywhere she may roam. There was no place to run...no place to hide...the line kept repeating through her mind like the echo that flowed through the temple. 'You can run, little girl...but you can't hide!' It was then that the voice came once again.

Citizen-"Hello? Is anyone in there? I heard a scream." Not a moment later, the form of a man came running through the corridor toward her. How many lives would she endanger? How many souls would pass...before Fang was dealt with? No! She could not endanger anymore lives...though she hated to say so...Anna could not let it happen again. "Hey? Are you ok?"

Anna-"Yes, I'm fine. Listen, if anyone else comes through that mirror...tell them that I am sorry. Upon my arrival I have brought them nothing but pain and torture. I am a danger to both them and myself. Tell them that I thank them for all they have done...but my family line is over...I am a lost cause. Oh and if you do see them...give them this." Anna carefully unsheathed her mace from its holster on her back and tossed it the citizen's way. "What you hold now is the mace of a Champion of the Light and ...at least on my world...a hero for all that is good. They call this man Joseph, leader of The Slayers."

Citizen-"Wait, why are you doing this?"

Anna-"I am doing this so that no others die in my name. I will not see anymore friends perish by the hands of that vampire. Now, will you deliver the message or not?" The citizen nodded, as Anna took this opportunity to begin her trek out of the temple. Having regained enough energy to travel, she found her way into the town and on to a nearby roof top. It was there that Anna stopped. Unsure of what to do...she simply stared into the sky and spoke.

Anna-"I don't know what to do, Father. Everyone I meet...I simply cause them more problems them they already have. I am sorry that I am not the warrior you thought me to be. You were one-thousand times the warrior I am today...if it were you...Fang would be nothing but a nuisance. I am alone in a strange world, Father. Even if I'm told...I know not where I am. Perhaps I should simply disappear from existance. I can hide for the rest of my life if I so chose...that or be finally tracked down by that blasted vampire. Rest...that's what I need...just a bit of rest." Meanwhile, at the entrance to the mirror...the citizen knew only to wait and see if another came in Anna's place.

The howls of the demon eminating from the natural pit that formed beneath it ceased abrubtly. The air above the deep depression shimmered faintly, appearing almost mirage like to the people watching on the walls of the Keep. After a short while there came the sound of scrabbling from the pit, as of someone-or something climbing out. The watchers continued to watch.

Moments later a hand appeared from over the edge of the hole Tanuchan had created. It was not the scaled and beclawed hand of the demon that had last been seen entering the pit-instead it was the hand of a human. On its left index finger it bore a silver ring, formed of white gold. Slowly it raised itself into the air, moving slowly as if trying not to look threataning. From withing the pit a strange voice called out. The voice too was human, bearing none of the cruel harshness nor sickly sweetnes of demon-kin.

"If I pull myself any further out of this hole, will you promise not to shoot?"

The voice seemed to bear a strange mixture of sarcasm and cynicism, and many of the watchers felt a subtle pulling in thier minds, as if there was something important about the voice that they should be able to remember...

The shouts from the people on the battlement call Tanny's attention again, and she shivers on feeling sudden unknown magic/energy channeling.

I *must* let go of the flow... I can't keep linked as drained as I am... With an effort, she barriers herself completely to the energies she had been manipulating, having a sudden sensation of losing an extra sense. Bracing herself, she goes to YanYan and Brygad, looking down at the ex-demon.

"That voice... I think I've heard that voice once... " whispers her, puzzled.

A sudden cry from Vanessa, who rushes to the battlement leaving behind a puzzled sharpei, silences them all.

"Heinrich?!"

Katzaniel grabs Vanessa before she can leave and open the gate herself.

"Vanessa! No!"

"It's Heinrich! Let me go!"

The tigertaur's grip is strong, and she talks quickly, urgently, before Vanessa's stress communicates to Malarasoth. "Vanessa, he was a demon an instant ago. He was, for all we now, attacking the Pen. He has disappeared, he has died! Caution is never too much. No one will harm him, but I have some misgivings as people who are given as dead and suddenly reappear wearing a demon-skin!" As her words seem to penetrate Vanessa's mind, she lets her arm go and hefts her spear. "We don't mean harm... if he doesn't either."

Brygad and YanYan both shout at the ex-demon below, "Come out slowly and let us see you!"

Tanny just observes quietly, siding with Katzaniel in her misgivings. She whispers to the tigertaur, "a Vampire lord... a demon attacking the Pen, who suddenly turns into a human..."

The odd catch in the wolf-lady's voice instantly puts Katzaniel alert. "What do you think of... Heinrich, *if* it is really him... ?'

"Odd... something odd," she shakes her head. "For an instant, I felt another twist in the flow... I don't know if it was just shapechanging, I'm too weary to pick it out now. I know that demon down there shapechanged into a human. Just that."

"That, and something you can't define. A twisted energy, as you said. The same words that you used to describe what you felt at the mirror."

"The mirror... Anna. Someone should look for her. She's the key... for something." Tanny looks back at the Castle, frowning.

"For something, yes. And I want to know what it is. Do you think you can go with me and follow her? What's that place on the other side of the mirror?"

A wolf takes the place of the woman, and she sends a thought with a hint of amusement, ::Four legs support me better than two, right now... just don't run too fast, friend. I think I can manage.::

Sending also a short warning to YanYan about where they're going, Tanny trots back to the Castle with Katzaniel. ::That place's the Temple of Mythul, at YanYan's city. He told me a little bit about it, some time ago. We must go there and bring Anna back...::

Edited by Tanuchan

After a brief rest, Anna awoke to find a citizen of the town standing beside her with a concerned look upon his face. It was simple to figure out why...being that she was sleeping on the roof and all. How would one come to any other conclusion? While riseing to her feet, Anna was greeted my a caring voice.

Citizen-"Are you alright? The roof of my home is not the best place to be sleeping." It was kind of hard for Anna to answer such a question...ofcourse she wasn't alright...she was alone in a strange world...being hunted at the same time by a Vampire Lord. Was she alright? No! She wasn't...but the fact still remained that she could not let this be known.

Anna-"Yes, I'm fine...for the most part. I wouldn't mind a tour of the town, though, I've never been to this place before. For that matter, I haven't eaten a bite for some time. I'm sorry... you don't even know me and I blurt out such requests. I'd understand if you turned me down."

Citizen-"By all means, let us hit the market place. After all, I'm not the type to leave someone as yourself alone in her time of need." Anna breathed a sigh of relief...she really was in worse shape than imagined. Then hit her, she had lost all her gold back on Terra and without that...how was she to repay the kind man for his actions.

Anna-"I afraid I can't help pay for any act of kindness I may receive. I lost all my gold...let alone worldly possessions back on my home planet." 'That was stupid! Why did you have to go and announce that you were from another world! He's now going to think you're a lunatic...you...lunatic!' "I..."

Citizen-"Don't give it a second thought...it's my pleasure."

Anna-"Thank you."

Citizen-"You're entirely welcome."

It didn't take long for the two-some to exit the roof and begin their trek ever deeper into the town. Anna was set back by the number of people willing to help her in this world, but knew...somewhere in the back of her mind...that they would someday lay dead at the hands of Fang. Though Anna tried her best not to think about it...the inescapable conclusion was to swear off friends and forge through life alone. The only thing that bothered her about this decision being...would her father approve?

Citizen-"The market place is just up ahead. Pick out anything you like."

Anna-"Thank you. it all looks so good...truth is...sand would look appetizing at this point. By the way, you have a beautiful town." The citizen nodded in appreciation as Anna approached a nearby stand.

Anna-"This looks just delicious, may I?"

Citizen-"By all means." Tossing a few coins the shop owner's way, Anna chose a variety of delicacies and motioned that she'd like to see more of the town. The man, ofcourse, was happy to oblige as Anna began nibbling at her newly acquired treats. She was never one to gulp her food, no matter how hungry she was...it wasn't lady like.

Citizen-"Say, if you need somewhere to stay...you can stay with me for a while."

Anna-"I suppose it's better than sleeping on your roof. I accept your offer."

Citizen-"Think nothing of it."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, back at the town of Silent Hill, trouble was on the rise...for the town had been all but overthrown by the mercilous onslaught of the dead. Fang had systematically taken the town by storm...every area...but one. It was here where the last surviving inhabitants had gathered and where the last stand of the resistance would take place. The small band of soldiers stood their ground as they could clearly hear the moaning of the zombie armies approaching from the north. It was then, not a second later, when the ear piercing screeches of the wraith were heard from the west. This was immediately followed by the swift motions of a small group of vampire coming from the south. They were cornered...trapped from all sides. There was nowhere to flee...no way to make their escape...for them, it would be victory...or defeat.

Commander-"Stand tall, my soldiers...for on this day we make our final stand. The enemy may be overwhelming...defeat may be pending...but we will take the day! Our wills...the human will shall strive forth into tomorrow with the clash of thunder in our wake. Are you with me?" A resounding cheer was heard from the soldiers before him, as Fang had just made his entrance upon the scene.

Fang-"Inspiring speech...not that it will do you any good. Zombies...wraith...vampire...take them down!" The ground thundered with the footsteps of an army which would even make an emperor jealous. Before the day was over, the battle would be won and Fang would once again have a kingdom of his own. With phase one of his master plan complete...lord only knows what was to follow!

With the lack of threats that were currently being sent towards him Heinrich slowly pulled himself furthur out of the pit Tanuchan had created, making sure not to make any sudden movements. Something within him seemed to be pulling him towards a specific spot in the Keep, yet as he stood and looked up at the spectators on the walls he could see that they did not trust him yet. Vainly he tried to recall something he could do to prove that he was not a threat, but his mind had been ravaged by his torments in the Abyss. Reluctantly, knowing of no other way to prove himself, he tried sending a mental message out to the elf who seemed to be trying to reach him.

As his mental probe struck her mind however, it was blocked. Unlike a purposful shield, Heinrich could tell that the mind was unresponsive due to a mixture of grief, drink and something else that his mind failed to recognise. Muttering a curse under his breath he instead sought out the mind of the spellcaster who had created the pit he had fallen into.

Just as Tanuchan was about to pass through the mirror to follow Anna, she felt a strange prescence try to enter her mind. It bore familiar overtones of cynicism, sarcasm and self torment, and yet something else seemed to accompany it. It was almost as if two minds were being sent instead of one. The other mind was dark and sinister, and she sensed that letting it into her mind would be extremely uncomfortable. Still the mind probe persisted, hovering around her like a lost waif, trying to find a friend...

Tanny, now back to her human form, stopped so suddenly that Katz bumped into her.

"What happened?" asked the tigertaur, seeing her friend frowning and raising her hand to her head.

"Wait...." she whispered, straining to 'hear' the presence that kept hovering in her mind. A fleeting thought crossed her mind, unbidden, One's knocking... the other trying to break in...

Amid the confusion of feelings that the mind probe imposed on her, Tanny seemed to finally hear a faint voice. "Heinrich...?!" Was Vanessa right?

The answer came mixed in turmoil, drowned in a dark echo, almost unrecognizable. There was something in that contact that did remind her of Heinrich's self, but it also brought a heavy taint of something darker, dangerous. As the mind probe retreated, she sighed deeply, feeling suddenly weak and confused. Gathering her wits, though, she soon hastened to the gate, explaining quickly to Katz what she had just discovered.

At the battlement, both YanYan and Brygad were shouting questions to Heinrich, clearly unwilling to trust him. Vanessa kept looking at him with almost vacant eyes, clearly lost. Tanny rushed in, going straight to the gates.

"Open them, YanYan. I need to go out!" she asked, cutting his questions. "Trust me. I need to talk to... Heinrich."

"You aren't going out! You yourself said we couldn't trust him!" His voice revealed shock. "I can't open the gates to someone who can be a demon!"

"Well, so just throw me out of the gates!" Tanny retorted sharply, too tired to be diplomatic. "Protect the Castle as you wish, but I will talk to Heinrich if I have to... "

"... fly." Vanessa's voice came somewhat unsteady, but she also called Malarasoth. "If you're going, so am I."

Drowning YanYan's protests, soon both women were standing in front of Heinrich, Tanny holding Vanessa so she couldn't rush to him. Doubt and distrust were foremost in Tanny's mind, but there was also a wish to help if this creature in front of her was truly Heinrich.

Edited by Tanuchan