The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Merelas' Bachelor date with Tanuchan

Merelas

Merelas stepped through the hallway of the pen nervously… it was seldom that he felt nervous in these halls that he loved so much, but today he had just cause to be. He was finally going to fulfill his duties to Tanuchan, and take her on a date.

Finding the appropriate room, Merelas stood before the door for a moment. He smoothed his hair, patted his clothes down for a moment. He had dressed casually… not to casual, but not excessively formal, either. He starts to knock on the door, then hesitates. Eventually, he tentatively knocks, and shortly the door is opened by Tanuchan.

“Ready?” he asks.

“Sure, Merelas,” she says, flashing a grin.

“Before we go,” he says, still a little nervous. Quickly he produces a rare rose from behind his back. Its petals are white, with red tips. “It’s called a Fire and Ice rose.”

Surprised, Tanny doesn't pick it immediately, touching its silky petals with light, delicate fingertips. "It's... beautiful... thank you so much, Merelas... " She looks at him with a warm smile and bright grey eyes that show her true appreciation of the gift. “Why is it called that?”

Merelas smiles, “Mostly for the colors—red is fire and white is ice—but also because it’s extremely strong. It can grow nearly anywhere if it’s imported. The only places it grows naturally are the far northlands, and my home, the Mirénore. I brought it from the place we’re going now.”

Tanuchan tears her eyes away from the exquisite beauty of the flower, and looks up at the tall fire-elf. “Where are we going?” she asks.

Merelas grins saying, “That’s a surprise. But since I want you to be able to find your way there any time you want, I won’t blindfold you,” he says with a wink. She giggles softly, before putting her hand in his. Merelas leads her outside at a leisurely pace. They continue slowly towards the gardens, following a path until they come to the wall of the pen keep. The wall is lined with rosebushes--a repetitive pattern of white, yellow, pink red.

Sensing an undercurrent of nervousness and anxiety from Merelas, she asks him softly to tell her about his homeland. He smiles then, remembering. “It’s very lovely there. Warm all the time. There are always children playing a game called Firefight… it tests their ability to manipulate flames, and determines which will become Scouts, which magi, and which Leadership.”

"And which one did you become, Mer?" She smiles at him once again, "May I cal you that?"

“Yes, Mer is fine. I was a guardian mage… as a rule, we’re not allowed to use any type of magic aside from fire. Only the Flamekeeper, the Firestarter, and the Estinguisher were allowed to use other types. And then, after a while, the other guardians asked me to become their representative to the Shiré.

The two of them continue walking along the wall, and come to a sort of path. Somewhat over grown—it had been a while since he’d tended it, after all, as he continued to explain. “The Shiré; I think we would say Council. It’s one of the governing bodies of the Fire-elves. I was the youngest Shirénedra—councilmember, that is—in fire-elven history. And some say that’s why my term was also the shortest.”

Tanuchan continues speaking to him about his past, though not pressing him on any subject that she senses resistance—the end of his term as a Shirénedra seemed to be one of them. Continuing down the path, both Merelas and Tanuchan eventually fall silent, realizing that the fire-elf has become comfortable with her presence. Soon, they the path begins to slope downwards, but the area around it remains level, as though they’re descending a ramp. Eventually it levels out, and Tanny realizes that they are below ground, and even though there’s no roof, she can see a tunnel ahead.

But more important now is the roses. The earthen walls around them are covered with all manner of roses—roses of colors and types that she’d never seen before. "She gasps in amazement, and Merelas can see that she's delighted at what she sees. "It's... just too beautiful to be true... what is this place, Mer? How come I never found this?"

“Not many people do… It’s quite a long walk. You probably didn’t notice, because we were talking the whole time… but we’re a couple miles away from your room. But it’s better down this way,” he says with a grin, and leads her onward. She follows him, and he slows down his pace as he notices her lagging, enjoying the surprises that come in the different varieties of roses, from the simplest to the most exotic.

From her smile, Merelas could tell that she enjoyed what she was seeing. He smiled privately as he waited for her to catch up… he had done something right. Finally, they entered the tunnel. The roses were everywhere now—on both sides, and above them. They barely spread away from a small area on the walls to allow a periodical torch bracket, allowing light for their path.

Finally, they reach their destination. The tunnel opens to a wide area—a cobbled stone courtyard. There is a circular hole in the ceiling, allowing natural light to filter down upon the scenery, which is even more breathtaking than the tunnel. All the walls are covered in roses—a variety that it’s hard to believe exists. In the center of the courtyard, there’s a large three tiered fountain with a rose in the top—water bubbling out of the petals of the golden flower.

On three sides of the courtyard, there are stone benches—weathered, as though they had been there since the beginning of time. “What is this place?” Tanny asks, taking it all in.

Merelas simply points to a sign above the tunnel entrance. Chiseled in stone are the words, “The Rose Courtyard.” She sits on one of the benches, resting her eyes on the roses and smiling sweetly, somewhat lost in memories. Merelas approaches her and sits next to her.

"It's a lovely place... so beautiful... and... peaceful... who built it, Merelas?"

“I’m not sure. I found it a few years ago, but it was run-down. Far worse than it is now. I helped work to help bring it back to it’s best state.”

Merelas pulls a basket out from under one of the benches, revealing a picnic that he had brought ahead of time. He reveals various dishes, some of his own native land, and some that he had hoped Tanuchan would be familiar with. They spend a time in silence, both taking in their surroundings and enjoying each other’s company.

“Where are you from, Tanuchan?” Merelas asks finally, interested to learn more about her.

"A land far from here, Mer... it's called Shadowmere by humans. It's a valley hidden deep in the mountains, where the rivers are cold and clear, and the stars are bright at night." There's a quiet longing in her voice.

“Why did you leave, Tan?”

"I... it's a long story..." There's a slight shadow in her eyes, and Merelas quickly makes a gesture as if to stop her. She shakes her head with a half-smile. "No, it's okay, Mer... My family is one of the most important, traditional ones in the Clan. And I have a too free spirit to be quietly bound by tradition. Soon after my Name Day I left Shadowmere because I thought, and still think, that it's wrong to shun the rest of the world because of past wrongs done. Leaving Shadowmere is forbidden to any Clan-bound." She finishes in a whisper.

Merelas looks at her with a mixture of empathy and sorrow at her plight. He says nothing, simply laying a hand on her shoulder. She smiles and looks up at him, meeting his (currently) blue eyes and allowing his warmth to dissipate the shadows. "No, don't be sad, Mer. It's part of me, and I learned to accept that, much as it still brings a wave of sorrow from time to time. By leaving, I learned a lot and made new friends. I don't regret it. "

“Good,” he says, and stands. He gathers up the things from the picnic, placing them into the basket. He carries that in one hand, and puts his other arm around Tanuchan’s shoulders. They walk down the tunnel and reach the end only to discover that it’s raining. Quickly, Merelas adjusts his cloak to cover the both of them. They exchange a smile briefly, before hurrying off to Tanuchan’s room.

At the door, Merelas stops, and hands something to her. “I wanted you to have this,” he says slowly, handing her a package. As she starts to open it, he says, “No, wait. Don’t do that yet. Um… when you open it, it might seem a little odd… but you’re a good friend, and I do trust you, so… I wanted you to have it.”

She looks at him with a bright smile for a minute, before hugging him. After a moment, he leaves with a warm smile, off to his own room to warm up.

Tanny closes the door, putting aside the package for the moment.

Holding the Fire and Ice rose, she finds a crystal vase and pours pure water in it. Then, closing her eyes, she lets her mind find earth's resonance. A flow of energy fills her, and she directs it delicatly to the flower in her hands. A soft green light surrounds it for a fleeting second before disappearing. The same happens to the water in the crystal vase. Smiling, Tanny lets the flow go, and puts the rose into the water.

You're both infused with energy from earth. You'll live, pure and beautiful as when you were picked.

She goes back to Merelas' gift, and finds a leather-bound manuscript without any title or identification. Curious, and still lightly bonded to earth, she opens herself again to its energy and rests an open hand over the leather cover.

Faint... so faint. But definitely here. Traces of his lifeforce.

She blushes slightly, aware of how easily and quite unconciously she had picked the pattern of Merelas' lifeforce when he'd put his arm around her shoulders. I must tell him about it. About how my people can pick and identify the energy pattern of a living creature...

Knowing now that the manuscript is personal enough that it has been imprinted with the pattern of his lifeforce, and old enough for it to have left just the faintest of traces, she opens the volume carefully. It starts with some political notes on the affairs of the Mirénoré, written in a flowing and careful hand, and then takes the form of a diary.

It can only be... his term at Shirénedra.

She reads on, wondering here at his intelligence, smiling there at his strong sense of right and wrong, and once grinning mischievously at his not-so-honorable way of swinging a vote. An amazing... no, brilliant politician...

However, towards the end of the diary her smile gives place to a slight frown. She reads and re-reads some passages, going back and forth as if checking some thought. Her eyes linger on the last lines, dated from about a thousand years ago and smeared as if at some time they had been in contact with water.

"If only my mother were here."

Tanny closes her eyes, deep in thought. A hearing of the Shiré, after freeing a human from slavery imposed by the Flamekeeper. Of course.

Some nights later, quite deep in the forest near the Pen, Tanny sits by a lake wearing the flowing robes she favors when doing energy-manipulation tasks. In one of her hands, a blue, tear-shaped gem reflects the light of the stars. She dips her fingertips into the cool water, breathing deeply and concentrating on two different energy flows.

A flow from earth,

woven to give strength

interwoven for healing

threaded for protection.

A flow from water,

washing sorrow

cleansing the heart

soothing the spirit.

She murmurs the old teaching as if a cantrip, letting the complex flow fill her and then weaving the different strands into a pattern clear in her mind.

Edited by Tanuchan

• 3 weeks later...

Merelas answers to the quiet knock on his door, smiling as he meets Tanny's eyes.

"Tanny? What a surprise..."

She invites him to a stroll, and soon they are in the forest, following a trail that winds among the trees. The soft breeze brings the scent of wet earth, and from time to time the last drops of the recent rain fall on them, disturbed by a bird or small animal hidden on the top of the trees. They stop at a forking.

"Where are we?"

"Somewhat to the South and East of the Pen; I have a hut about a mile this way," she points to the eastward path. "And there's a small lake a bit ahead this way." Picking the other fork of the trail, they go on for a while yet.

The path opens quite suddenly into a clear lake, surrounded by the tall trees. Sunbeams play on the water, here and there glinting off rocks incrusted with some metallic vein. From time to time, the chirp of birds calling their mates is heard amid the soft rustle of the leaves.

Tanny sits by the lake, motioning Merelas to do the same.

"Earth and water... my Elements." She looks at him, smiling as she stresses the "elements" in a way there's no mistake in her meaning.

"You mean you're familliar with earth and water magic? Elemental magic?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"No, not magic... though the results may seem similar. The only magic I can use are the simple Illusion spells while in Tanuki form, but that's something that comes with the shape... a natural ability."

Suddenly Merelas is looking into the mischievous eyes of a black-and-grey tanuki, who flickers her tail to create a small cloud of multi-colored motes that involve her completely. He blinks, all of a sudden having the impression that the cloud and the tanuki have just merged into a wavy rainbow. As he blinks, Tanny reappears giggling. "Simple illusion, as I said. I cannot hold on to this one for long, but it's fun. Childish fun..." she grins, remembering some pranks she used to play on her friends when she was a child. "That's why my childname is Tanuchan. Little, mischievous Tanuki."

Merelas laughs as she tells him about the pranks and how sometimes she got punished for them, and for some time they share childhood memories. As soon as Tanny notices a slight shadow threatening the elf's bright eyes, though, she goes back to his original question.

"In any of my shapes I can channel the energy of earh and water. I work on them, with them... I can weave them following some patterns to help, protect, or heal."

Merelas' attention is caught by a delicate chain bearing a single tear-shaped blue jewel that Tanny produces from a pocket. She keeps talking softly while looking for a light rapport with earth. "I have something to finish... "

"What do you mean?" he asks.

"First... I must apologize." Tanny rests a light hand on his arm, "One more thing you don't know... I can also pick the pattern of a person's lifeforce if they are open to me. I picked yours yesterday... I was quite unguarded, it just happened," she hastens to explain. "I became aware of it just after you left."

"Pick the pattern of a lifeform? I don't understand..."

"Every living creature has an energy of its own, as earth and water have... as fire has."

Merelas continues to look at Tanuchan in puzzlement... "Fire has a lifeform?"

Tanny giggles softly, shaking her head. "No, no... fire has a natural energy. That energy has a pattern. All Elements, everything, have that... their own energy. That's what we call Lifeforce."

Merelas frowns, not willing to believe that he has missed this about the element that had reigned over him his entire life. "Tanny... I don't think you're right... fire is just a force... it's chaotic and powerful and consuming--but it has no energy of its own... it has to draw fuel from the environment around it."

"Hm... no, I think you're missing the point. Think like... well..." She stops, trying to find the correct words. I should have paid more attention to my schoolmistress... Pausing for a moment, she tries again, "When you manipulate fire... what do you do? How do you control it?"

"It's just a skill... I can create the fire... It's like moving for me... as though I'm moving a part of myself," he says slowly. He had never had to explain this before, and now that he tried, it was difficult.

"Are you... bending your mind into it, like pushing it... changing it so that it does what you want?"

Merelas considers this for just a moment, before shaking his head. "No... It's like... an extension of myself, sort of," he says, although not as certain of himself as he would like.

Tanny gives up, laughing, and apologises at seeing Merelas' face. "Sorry, Mer... I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at my inability to put what I know in words. Would you trust me when I say that there's a pattern of energy in everything, including fire, and that you can compare that energy to strands, or particles, that you move with your will? As your brain does to your muscles?"

Merelas raises his eyebrows and squints in thought for a moment, before shrugging and saying, "Ok..."

She senses his doubt, and guesses also that he will probably come back to it later. However, not willing to go on right then, she nods, "Well.. then... that pattern of energy is what we call Lifeforce pattern. It is stronger in sentient creatures, and gains complexity according to the intelligence of the creature. My people are sensitive to this lifeforce."

"How do you mean 'sensitive'?"

"We can feel those energy patterns in our minds when we open ourselves to it. And you see... lifeforce patterns are quite unique, like fingerprints. They resonate in a completely individual way, also. It makes possible for us to actually identify a person."

"So, you would know if a figure were simply casting an illusion over themselves to look like someone else?" he asks, curious.

"Hmm... if I had previously picked the pattern of one of them, yes."

"So... why did you apologize for doing this?"

Tanny blushes slightly, continuing with an embarassed voice, "You're a mindspeaker, so you understand the concept of barriers to protect one's privacy, don't you?"

Merelas nods, and she continues with a deeper blushing, "To pick one's pattern, we need in a way to touch their open minds. To do so unasked is breaking into one's privacy. And yesterday, I was unguarded and so were you. When you held me, I unconsciously registered it."

There's a moment of uncertainty in Merelas and Tanny lowers her head, looking aside. A gentle hand touches her face, raising it and making her meet bright blue eyes.

"It's all right, Tanuchan... I think it's just a difference of culture. If I objected, you would know," he says with a smile.

With a somewhat shy smile, she lowers her eyes and touches his hand. Opening it, she puts the tear-shaped jewel on his palm then holds both hand and jewel with her own. Merelas looks at her curiously, as she asks, "Mer, can you open yourself to me?"

Merelas bites his lower lip a little bit, considering. He isn't quite sure what she's asking but, not wanting to upset her more, he decides to try. Closing his eyes, he visualizes himself. Around him is a wall of flame in a circle. With a gesture, he dissolves it, and opens his eyes. "Like that?" he asks.

She nods. Channeling energies, she carefully threads his pattern into the interwoven earth/water strands already in the jewel. As she finishes, she closes the elf's hand over it.

"This jewel has the energies of earth and water interwoven in its structure... strength, healing, protection, cleansing. And now it's keyed to you. Whenever you feel weary, bend your mind into it. It will help you." Smiling at Merelas, she continues, "The wearier you are, the stronger the effect will be. It can't heal you physically as Chrissiania's Jewel does, or give you the same kind of skill. But it will strengthen your mind and give it what protection it can."

Merelas opens his hand and looks down at the jewel. After a moment, he smiles and places the chain over his neck. He then slips it beneath his robes and arranges it with Chrissiania's Jewel. Before he can thank her, Tanny speaks again.

"You are a dear friend, Mer. The proof is..."

Touching his hand, she sends in mindspeech, ::... that you can understand me in this way.::

Merelas' eyes widen for a moment, before replying, :Yes... I can... I didn't know you were a mindspeaker...:

::Normally, just among my own people or when using my animal forms. However... you're a mindspeaker and I have your lifeforce pattern... and there's trust between us. Only under those conditions I can use mindspeaking while in human form... and it does depend on distance. I'm no telepath.:: She pauses, hesitating for just a moment before sending quietly a name.

Merelas' eyes narrow, wondering, and looks at her questioningly.

::My True Name.:: She smiles.

Merelas blinks, then also smiles. :Thank you... I know... what that means, and I can tell you that I will try not to lose your trust.: He leans in and hugs her then, holding her for a few seconds before letting her go.

She looks at him deeply with her grey eyes, smiling warmly. He smiles back silently.

~~~~

Edited by Tanuchan