The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Just starting....

Annael

Just something that came to me....dunno where it's going, but let me know what you think....

She moved to the music, a slow gyration of her body in the seat. The car speeding down the road, her hair blowing in the wind, the end of her cigarette a red glow in the black night. She was running. Well, driving to be specific. But running none the less. It was a beautiful night for running. The road was quiet. No one in sight. No one to ask her where she was going, when she’d be back, why she was running. She didn’t really have an answer for any of those questions herself. That’s why she was thankful that there was no one there to ask her. All she knew was that she was running.

She figured that east would be as good a direction as any. No specific place in mind. Just….east. Why the east? No particular reason. She figured that it was a good enough place to start then any. And the east couldn’t be that bad. The sun always rose there. But seriously, her mothers’ family was from the east coast. Good ol’ New Brunswick. She’d been there when she was eight for her cousin’s wedding. She didn’t really remember anything about it except that it was green. And she had been to Halifax in July. The people on the east coast were friendly. Yes, a stereotype of all Canadians is that they are extremely friendly, but people on the east coast are just more so then people from Toronto. It’s like they don’t know how to be mean. Sure, there has to be mean people on the east coast, but she hadn’t met any in her travels. Besides, at least in the east she has people that she could run to. If anything ever happened, there would be people that she could lean on. Not that she liked the thought of leaning on anyone, but at least she knew that should situations become dire, there was somewhere that she could turn.

Jade sighed and reached for her coffee. Triple cream, triple sugar. That’s the only way that she could drink her coffee. She looked down to put the coffee cup back in its cup holder then glanced up at the road again. She cursed and slammed on the brakes, quickly turning the wheel to the left. Standing in the middle of her lane, was a little boy.

“Oh my god. I could’ve hit you. Kid, what were you thinking of standing in the road like that! Don’t you know it’s dangerous?” Jade yelled as she jumped out of the car and ran over to the little boy to see if he was injured.

“Are you hurt? I didn’t hit you or anything did I?” Running her hands over his head and across his shoulders then down his arms, Jade quickly checked for injuries. Jade stopped her and looked the little boy in the face as he mumbled something.

“What was that sweetie?”

“No, you didn’t hit me. And no, I’m not hurt.” The boy said in a soft and extremely gentle voice. Jade could feel her fear slowly drain out of her body. She stood up slowly and looked down at the little boy. She gave a little smile as he lifted his arms up to her with a soft command of, “up.” Jade lifted the child into her arms and started back to her car.

“Where did you come from? I know that it wasn’t from another car since I haven’t seen one for hours. And I don’t remember seeing any houses.”

The boy shook his head and played with the short black curls resting on the back of Jade’s neck.

“Okay, if you don’t want to tell me, that’s fine. At least tell me your name.” Jade said as she buckled him into the front seat of her car. She slowly pushed his black bangs away from his eyes.

“You know, you could almost be my son we look so much alike.” Jade shook her head then went around to the driver’s side and slid in behind the wheel. She turned to look at the child and saw him watching her.

“Night. My name is Night.” Jade smiled and held out her hand to shake the little boy’s.

“Hello Night. I’m Jade Keller.” The little boy giggled and carefully shook hands with Jade.

Edited by Annael