The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Shapechanger's curriculum

Tanuchan

In the shadows, the black shape of a medium-sized wolf stretches and a sigh is heard.

Well, it seems I don't like this Scarlot very much... but it's true that some harshness is needed when you're selecting members for a guild...

In her wanderings around the Pen, Tanny had once come to this same door following an intriguing scent, one that seemed to be of a fellow wolf. She had sat in front of the door, staring at the sign - "Scarlet's Office" - and musing about the small letters saying "Applicants apply here". Then, she had spent some of the next days exploring that part of the Keep that housed the Alliance of Vagabonds and Vanguards, and quietly listenened to the talk going around in the Confessional and even in the other areas of the castle.

She had also come back to that door sometimes, and listened to the somewhat harsh voice of the tigertaur Katzaniel talking to Scarlot - not difficult with her keen wolf-hearing. She had sat exactly where she was now, letting the voices drift into her twitching ears and saving them for later consideration.

And now she followed with her eyes as two men left the office with somewhat disgruntled faces - the ones called Morindas and Ensifer.

A small mission/quest, then? It's not exactly what I expected, but it can't hurt to try. Besides, I'm starting to feel rusty and restless... exploring is nice, but I need to keep my skills honed...

Some time later, Tanny returns to Scarlot's Office now in her human form. She knocks but doesn't wait for an answer, opening the door and entering in one fluid movement.

Scarlot's eyes flash up, scowling. "No one here knows how to enter a room? Knock and wait for an answer first!"

Grey eyes study Scarlot, not showing anything besides a cold curiosity. Tanny gives a small smile, bowing just enough to show respect - but never fear or submission. "I choose my actions based on my own analyses, Scarlot. It's part of what I am, so why would I show you otherwise, when you are the one choosing people based on their qualities?"

"There could have been someone waiting for you just behind the door, impudent girl."

The icyness of Scarlot's voice doesn't seem to intimidate Tanny, who hands in her application. "I knew you were alone and there was no magic being used in the room. I knew you weren't near the door. And there would be no reason for you to kill an applicant, so there was no need to fear a mortal attack. "

Scarlot grunts and unrolls the parchment.

My name's Tanuchan, but people in general call me Tanny. I'm a shapechanger, from a place so far and hidden that you wouldn't care to know more about it.

Due to my nature, I have keen hearing, a sixth sense for danger, and I can sense magic and the channeling of energy for virtually any purpose. I fight better in animal shape, as a wolf. This can be either advantage or disadvantage, depending on how you see it. The tanuki form is better for quickness and the working of  illusion spells; it comes with the shape.  I can work elemental spells, specially those involving the channeling of water and earth energies. But I'm no mage, so my spells aren't that powerful.

I have a natural resistance against wounds and heal fast, except in case of silver weapons.

As any woman, I can be charming or dangerous. As any wolf, I can be playful , stealthy, or very dangerous. As any tanuki, I can be quick, tricky, or treacherous.

My nature would make me useful in many tasks. But I'm independent, and my decisions are mine to make.

Scarlot puts aside the parchment without giving any sign of interest. Tanny gives a most charming smile, and a glint of amusement appears in her eyes. That's good... no different reaction from the others.

"You know where to find me. I'll wait for your decision." Nooding, she leaves the room without taking her eyes from Scarlot, and closes the door softly.

Outside, she draws a deep breath. Gods... I'm glad I knew what to expect. She's not one to have patience with scared applicants...

• 2 weeks later...

A tigertaur is standing outside the door, looking intently at the human. Tanuchan has seen Katzaniel around the keep before, so is not surprised.

"Good luck, human," she laughs, not recognizing Tanny for the wolf that is relatively new to the place. "I'm not sure whether she does this intentionally or not... it's certainly hard to tell what she expects from us, though."

"Yes," agrees the shapechanger. She then gestures away, not wanting to have this conversation right outside Scarlot's door. "You have also applied?"

The human and tigertaur make their way to the Confessional, chatting about what to expect from Scarlot. "So, what's your name?" asks Katzaniel, and Tanuchan introduces herself, explaining about being a shapechanger.

"I am one, too," grins Katz, "or at least I can change into this shape or any type of cat. There's a bit of a story there, but I'll save it for another day." Tanny nods. "Like they always say, 'Everyone has a story if only you ask.'" Katzaniel lets out a bellowing laugh. "It's truer here than anywhere else, I find. It's one of the things I love about this place."

They sit for a while longer, sipping their drinks. "I wonder where Scarlot will send us, for our first challenge. I hear there's another applicant, too. Perhaps we should go find him and make aquaintance?"

OOC: I figured this was a good opportunity for our characters to meet.

Tanny nods, finishing her drink. "I think that would be a good idea, Katzaniel. But I have seem two leaving Scarlot's together, and I'm not sure who is the applicant - or if both are."

She looks at the tigertaur, and grins. I like her... apparently a bit arrogant, but I wouldn't say that enough to make us really clash. "I want to test something... please, don't change shape."

Tanny's form blurs, and a wolf appears in her place. She jumps to the floor, looking at Katz. *Katzaniel, can you hear me?*

The tigertaur looks startled for a second, for the voice she hears is clearly feminine. And looks at the wolf, recognizing Tanny's voice. "So you can mind-speech?"

*To some, yes.* Her tongue lolls out, giving to the wolf a grinning expression. *But don't worry, I can't read your thoughts. Now, could you change into a cat? *

Curious, Katz agrees and soon there's a cat on the chair, looking at the wolf.

*Can you still hear me, Katz?*

*Yes!*

*Great!* Katz hears the happy giggling, as Tanny continues, *My kin can mindspeech among themselves in animal form, but I wasn't sure about other shapechangers. I can't mind-speech to other animals, just wolves and tanukis, when I'm in tanuki shape.*

A tanuki looks up to the cat sitting in the chair, chittering in tanuki-language and winking.

OOC: Nice idea, Katz :) Now, if you don't like the idea of us being able to mind-speech while in animal shape, just tell me so I can edit this post ;)

Edited by Tanuchan

• 3 months later...

Lorne sat in a corner table of The Confessional watching the two shapeshifter applicants carry on together. He couldn't hear their conversation, but had no doubt they were communicating. A small smile played at his features as he always enjoyed watching new friendships being forged. Rising from his table he smoothed his well pressed tunic and headed towards the pair. Kneeling down on one knee to be eye level with them (as he did not want to appear as if he were talking down to creatures of lower intelligence) he smiled and spoke.

"Tanuchan and Katzaniel. I'm glad to see you've met. My name is Lorne. I am Scarlot's husband." Introducing himself as Scarlot's husband usually got a shocked look, as it was hard to imagine someone so kind being married to someone so sour. However, in their animal forms, their expressions remained neutral. "I wanted to assure you that your applications are seriously under consideration. Some new missions will be assigned shortly, so please feel free to take rooms in The Underground." He stood and gave a short respectful bow to the ladies.