The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Contemporary Sonnet Contest

Nyyark

Nyyark pulls out a jar of Geld and a sign up sheet.

“Okay Class, here is our first contest. This is the Contemporary sonnet contest. It is open to everyone, but it is a team based contest, so I will need you to sign up as teams.”

“The idea of the game is for each group to compose 5 Contemporary Sonnets each with a different specific theme.”

“The groups must be at least three people large, and no more than five. Also there can only be up to two AAA members per team.”

“Everyone who participates will receive 5 geld, and each member of the winning team will get 10 geld. If more than 3 teams participate, then there will be a second place prize of 10 geld, and the first place will be raised to 15. If more than 5 teams participate, then there will be a third place prize of 10 geld, second place will be 15 geld, and first place will be 20 geld. I have drawn a chart to make this easier to understand.”

Every non winning participant: 5 geld

1-3 groups participate: 1st place: 10 geld

4-5 groups participate: 1st place: 15 geld | 2nd place 10 geld

6+ groups participate: 1st place: 20 geld | 2nd place 15 geld | 3rd place 10 geld.

“Although each sonnet should have a specific separate theme, bonus points will be awarded if there is a deeper message when all of the group’s sonnets are taken in connection to one another.”

“Please talk amongst yourselves and decide your groups. Remember anyone can participate (except me, as I am judging). After you have decided to form your groups, PM me and I will assign you a group number. A group member(s) can be added to your group any time before the contest deadline, like-wise any submission may be edited before the deadline. Any post-deadline editing will disqualify the entire group.”

“When you post a submission, the subtitle must read “CCy1 SSCC1 [Group#]” This stands for Carnival of Contests year one, Sequenced Sonnet Classes and Contests contest 1, and your group number so I can sort out which group they belong to. I am going to use this subtitle to search out the posts, so they may be posted anywhere on the Pen you like.”

“The submission deadline for this contest is Midnight Eastern US Time Zone on July 16, 2004.”

“Again please PM any questions regarding this contest. Good luck and have fun!”

The Contemporary Sonnet Lesson

I moved my post to the banquet hall, because in a moment of late night insanity, I decided to try a sonnet forgetting it was a team event. *blushes*

BUT I'll be back with a team! You have been warned!

~Silly Salinye :fairy:

Edited by Salinye

I have an idea! I LOVED that sonnet! Now to join the contest LET'S be a team and with one or more added to our group, we can write 4 more that tie in with yours and then WIN the contest! (See, with you, me and at least one other person as a group we can use your sonnet as the beginning and theme of our other 4?!) What do you think??? :P I hope you want to be in a group! Any ideas who we can rally up???

We also should tell others to compete with us! Oh Yeah, feeling the burn of competitiveness.....just a little.... :raven:

Oops rofl

I just remembered this was supposed to be the team effort! I was thinking that was an entirely different competition! *blushes* I'm sorry, Nyyark! I don't know what I was thinking. I really *DID* read your instructions, but then when I went back later to apply to different contests, I had it floating in my mind to try to write a sonnet and forgot about the team part.

Uhg....Some times I wonder about this brain of mine!

~Salinye :fairy:

"It really wasn't a problem at all, I'm glad that someone has decided to put my lessons to use!"

"It just occured to me that in order to make finding team mates eaisier those who wish to participate might want to make a post here."

"I'm also considering delaying the deadline, as I haven't had a team notification, yet, and the deadline isn't overly important. When I have atleast two teams that could compete I'll post a new deadline."

(Edit: The above notification came as I was posting :P Remember you can always add up to the maximum number of teammates as lone as it is before the deadline.)

Edited by Nyyark

Sonnetician for hire. (Yes, I fabricated that word, but it's in iambics, so pphhhhffft.) I disobey rhyme schemes in Petrarchan sonnets and hate the abrupt feel of the Shakespearean, therefore am applying for contemporary, to see what the looser form might accomplish. Give me a topic, I will add to it, with mysticism or pedagogue.