The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Stick, Slayer of Sasser, Defender of the BUNNYCOMP

It was a grueling battle, lasting hours into days and weeks. Neither side relented in their pursuits, except when the defender had things to do. Like enjoy the real world. Regardless, it was still a grueling battle. The evil worm had taken near-complete control of BUNNY-COMP-MK1 (Version 1.0) and left it stranded, separated permanently from the outside world, otherwise known as the "Internet". The Defender tried everything to restore the connection, but alas, it was to no avail. Much to his dismay, the BUNNY-COMP was infected beyond repair, and there was only one option. A complete and total reset. The BUNNY-COMP would have no other option but to die and be reborn like the Phoenix of lore (Ironically, there were Phoenix components in the machine...) Before it was to sacrifice itself in the fashion of a martyr, it purged itself of the evil worm. Yes, it seemed as if the Defender was successful in eliminating the most vile threat that had taken control over his prized BUNNY-COMP. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Upon resurrection, The Defender found that his BUNNY-COMP-MK1 (Version 1.1) was indeed again, infected. It had seemed the worm had burrowed deeper than was originally known. So deep, in fact that it had completely avoided detection. He tried in vain yet again to release BUNNY-COMP-MK1 from the horrible grip of the vile Sasser, but it was to no avail. He was simply not fast enough. The BUNNY-COMP seemed to be ill this time, not even being able enough to display more than a blank, dark, sorrowfully empty screen. Not being one to give up, however, The Defender quickly discovered what he had to do. Again, like a martyr, the BUNNY-COMP was sacrificed and reborn as Version 1.2. This time, the Defender was quick to action, and set a trap for the vile worm. With lightning-quick precision the Defender eliminated the worm, even as it replicated itself over and over again. With more tools and weapons at his side, the Defender emerged victorious over his slain foe, proud and defiant. The BUNNY-COMP was now warded against such a threat, and the Defender was ready for anything that would try. A long journey awaits, but tomorrow is another day...

(So, that explains my 'absence'. I hope they publicly stone the guy who made that damn thing.)

:tree:

Edited by The Big Pointy One

I hate to sound redundant, and I've been telling this to people for months, since Sasser came out.

UPDATE YOUR COMPUTER!

Microsoft, for once, had a security update to stop the Sasser worm about 2 weeks before it ever became a problem.

For once, don't blame Microsoft, blame yourself :P

(Glad to have you back, Stickler)

I also hate to sound redundant, but I think this is a good lesson to learn.

If your computer is infected with a virus DO NOT do System Restore on your computer.

The virus will usually get missed by the System and then infect a clean machine that has no anti-virus on it.

Your best bet is to try an get software to get rid of it, *then* fix everything it destroyed.

Several gangs of news reporters crowd into the Cabaret Room as the Defender strikes an heroic pose on one of the Pen's couches, holding up the lifeless body of the legendary Sasser Serpent as a trophy while numerous photographers proceed to take his picture. All at once, the reporters begin rapidly asking questions:

"Mr. Defender, is it true that you only used pro tools in defeating the monster?!"

"Mr. Defender, sir, just how fast is your ample dexterity, fast enough to-?!"

"Mr. Defender, why do you think the beast was named the Sasser Serpent in the first place?"

"Well..." responds the Defender with a grin, turning towards the attractive female reporter who had asked the last question. "I'd say it was because he was such a sassy opponent, clever hiding places and all."

As the interviews with the Defender continue, another group of reporters gathers around the BUNNY-COMP, sticking their microphones in the computer's direction and asking:

"Mr. BUNNY-COMP, when did you first become aware that you had a worm living within the deepest regions of your circuitry?"

"..."

"Amazing" grumble the reporters, turning to each other and nodding. "Just like a real Mr. Bunny response!"

;-)

OOC: Glad to see that your connection has been restored, Stick. :) Welcome back!

I prefer to think of the lesson in this as "Boycott Internet Explorer and Outlook Express."

That's a good lesson to learn. :D

But welcome back the the Pointy One! *Hugs*

Actually, Alaeha, Sasser exploits a flaw in Windows that has nothing to do with Outlook Express or Internet Explorer. *grins*

Welcome back Stick, here's to a safe and healthy BUNNY-COMP 1.2 ^_^

Hrm, redundancy, eh? Well, I shall return fire! 1.) I was under the assumption that my updates were... updated, and 2.) I was sure that the damn vile worm was removed from my recovery partition... in fact, my isp recommended that I did a system restore, so... yeah! Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome back, everyone ^.^

...now where'd that lovely young reporter get off to...

:tree:

Don't worry about it - I'm still recovering from the MSBlast worm. I still want to do an in-depth study of the culture of hackers and virus programmers - MSBlast was the most tenacious thing I've ever dealt with in my life, though easily fixed if you're fast + leet enough to deal with it.

I too, would like to do an in-depth study of the life of hackers and virus programmers. But then again, I went to high school, so I can imagine... but seriously though, by 'life' I mean internal organs, and instead of that period at the end there, I actually meant to have the line 'with a stick of the big pointed variety...

^.^