The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Your Body is Broken.

Theres some weird thing called the "McGurk Effect", wherein you can hear a different sound depending on whether you are looking at the source (ie. mouth) or not.

Ie. In this example you will probably hear "DA" if you are looking at his mouth. The "D" is a "audio-visual illusion". The sound "BA" is dubbed over, while the acting is mouthing "GA".

Play it a few times, looking away and looking at it, its really annoying me to know how pathetic my human body is -_-

http://www.media.uio.no/personer/arntm/McGurk_english.html

(the website kind of explains it a bit too)

I would say it's probably because you see a sound with the lips apart (G.) and hear one with the lips together (B.), your brain takes what you hear (B.) and substitutes the sound that is closest to it but with an open mouth - D.

But you probably didn't want to hear that sort of explanation :D

Edit: silly thing substitued smilies on me until I added dots after my B's

Edited by Katzaniel

The G and D differ only in tongue movement, the man's mouth was too dark to be captured in the film.

If we hear one thing and see another, our brains make the best guess. In that case we are probably visually dominant, as the B mouth movement is entirely different... D is thus the closest to both visual and audio, so we 'hear' D.

Interesting illusion. :)

When I listened very carefully I could still hear B.