The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Foul and Ferocious Pepper Corn of Feld'DChe

Snypiuer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very little is known about the long dead Blood God. The little that is known, is guarded and kept close - by me. My search to assume the mantle of this being of immense power has led me to many lands and places long forgotten. And I have gained knowledge and power, both ancient and forbidden.

This is a story of one of my travels in search of this power and knowledge.

It is known that the Blood God forged three swords of power. One sword is known to have been lost with him. One rests upon my hip. And the location of the last has been long forgotten to even the First Gods.

While sitting in my study one day, one of my many scouts, that I send out in search of arcane lore and artifacts, returned with news that the location of the final sword may have been discovered. He told of a land shrouded in mystery and protected by strange magic. He also reported that the ruler of this land was a creature of terrible might and power. With foul Demon Lords, long thought dead, as his servants. He named this land Feld'DChe.

I immediately sent an expedition out to gain more knowledge and personally started research on this land. I found very little. What I did find, suggested that Feld'DChe was, in fact, the legendary First Land. Where the First Gods anchored reality and brought order to Chaos. Where mortal life, itself, was born and set forth from.

None, from my expedition, ever returned.

The prospect that the final sword was actually within my grasp, was far too tantalizing. I set out to retrieve it with artifacts of vast power and a massive army that sent all before us running in terror. We were unchallenged by the greatest of all the lands we traveled through. The gods themselves took notice, and stood aside in fear.

I, alone, returned.

Through many strange and perilous lands, we traveled. After cresting a mountain range, a desert stretched before us. Barren of all life, a full third of my army was lost in the crossing - to dehydration and hunger. When it seemed that all was lost, we came to the shores of an enormous lake. At first, I believed it to be a mirage - a dream. We came down to its shore and, even I, fell to my knees in relief.

We spent a month upon that shore, regaining our strength. It was the purest water any has ever tasted and the fish we pulled from those waters, were more succulent then I had ever imagined any food could be.

After we regained our strength and spirits, we converted our wagons to rafts and set out across the waters. After three days of rowing across the placid surface, an island loomed before us. A land of green beauty. With birds of vibrant colors, languidly floating upon unseen currents. Creatures, of savage majesty, peacefully roamed among herds of gentle and timid beasts. We were even more surprised when we landed. None of these animals feared us or attacked. With a reverent hand, I reached out and stroked the mane of the largest lion I have ever seen. He nuzzled me and actually purred. A feeling of peace over came all of us.

I knew, in my heart, that we had arrived.

The elation I felt at being so close to my goal, seemed to spread amongst all of us. We made our way inland, without delay. A strength and fervor grew in me. I felt more powerful then I ever had. Surrounded by such magnificent animals and beauty, I could feel the land itself. I looked around and knew that so could those that followed me. As we progressed, the beauty and feeling only increased.

It came as a shock, to all of us, when we came to a field that looked as if a war had been fought upon it. Rocks and craters littered it. Fallen trees and the bleached bones of unknown creatures lay scattered across it. At this point, the animals that had traveled amongst us, began to gently try to turn us back. You could feel the fear in them. They tugged at us and stood before us. They seemed to hang their head in sorrow as it became clear that we would not be deterred. The lion that had stayed by my side looked at me, I stared into his eyes and he seemed to say, "Please, do not go into that blasted land. Stay. Live among us."

It took all my will to tear my eyes away. To take that first step towards my greatest lose. A part of me wishes I had not.

As we started across that field, the animals stood solemnly at the very edge of some unseen barrier. Their sadness could be felt in all of us.

I felt the attack an instant before it hit us. I threw up a shield that took the brunt of the force. A dark light seemed to spread across the shield and tendrils of some foul magic began to slip through cracks. I poured more power into the shield and the attack stopped. But it was too late. Everyone that the tendrils touched began to change. Limbs began to explode from chests and backs. One of my most loyal and trusted men turned to me, his entire head had turned into one giant gaping mouth - lined with fangs and tentacles. He screamed at me and I felt a tearing at my soul.

I lashed out with raw magic power and shredded the meat from his bones. His skeleton flopped around on the ground as if it was still alive and in pain. Looking around, I saw those that had followed me, fighting and dying at each others hands. Wading into the battle, I used magic and sword to kill my own.

The battle lasted 'till night fall. When it was over, the devastation was apparent. The dead and dying littered the field. We had decimated ourselves. All told, there was me and less then fifty of those that followed me standing. Perhaps the greatest army to ever be assembled, had destroyed itself.

Turning to those that survived, I gave them leave to turn back. To live amongst the animals beyond the barrier in peace. I would go on. Not one of my men left my side.

At the far edge of the blasted field, stood the crumbled walls of a once magnificent city. The very ground here pulsed with ancient and forgotten power. Entering the fallen city, we knew that this was, indeed, the First City - where life itself began.

Making our way through the debris, we came to a large square. In the middle sat a dragon of ancient might. It spoke to us, "So, you have made it across the field of tears. It has been long since any have set foot upon the streets of this city. I am it's failed guardian. Placed here by the First Gods to protect and nurture those who were their children. For my sin of failure, I have been denied a Name and will never be allowed beyond these fallen walls. I beg of you, turn back."

I replied, "Lord Dragon, long we have journeyed. Our losses great. Our will greater. We cannot turn back. Stand aside." To this he replied, "If I could, I would. But, in my defeat, I was cursed. I cannot let you pass. You must defeat me to go on. Please, do not force me to do this."

My answer, and that of my comrades (I call them comrades, for that is what they were at this time) was an unsheathing of our swords. A tear fell from the great and noble dragons eye, as he said, "May you and the First Gods forgive me. But, if you do defeat me, I see you carry a sword of the Blood God. That which takes the soul of my kind. Please, if I fall, let that be the weapon that finishes me."

His attack was violent, with a speed I have never experienced - in all my battles with dragons. He was truly a King amongst a noble race. With his left wing, he buffeted the men to my right as his tail swept out at those to my left. He let lose with a blast of flames at me and those around me. I was able to block most of the flame with a hasty shield. The mighty beast leapt into the air as four of my comrades, who retained bows, fired at him. One hit him in his right eye as he attempted to land upon us and crush us. This allowed me and a few others to dive out of the way. As he landed, he crushed those that could not get out of the way and whipped some others with his tail. Turning towards me, he spoke a word and I was blasted across the square, my cloak wrapping around me and protecting me. I stood to find those caught in the blast along with me, broken at my feet. The dragon must have thought we were all dead from the blast, for he turned his attention to those around him. This was his undoing. My comrades fought valiantly and managed to harm the dragon. But, it was obvious that they would fall. I used my magic to lift a fallen obelisk that lay near me, and sent it at the back of the beast, like a giant spear. It impaled him and drove him through the remains of a building.

In the silence that fell, you could hear his heart slowly beating, fading. I scrambled through the rubble and came to his head. He looked at me, and smiled. In a low, soft voice, he said, "I am sorry. Please forgive me." I could only say, "There is no need." I then made my way to his chest and raised my sword. As I pierced his chest and heart, with his dying breath, he thanked me.

There was but nine of us that left that square alive.

We headed towards the heart of the city, where a castle yet stood. Entering the castle, we walked through halls filled with treasure beyond imagination. We passed through with neither a glance nor thought to them. It was in the center of the castle complex that a court yard sat.

In the center of this court yard, was a raised, tiled floor. Round and fully 100 feet in diameter. There, in a semi circle, were 13 Demon Lords upon mounts out of nightmare. Raising a sword and pointing it at us, the center Demon Lord spoke, "You have traveled far and overcome much. Upon this floor, order was brought to Chaos and the sword of the Blood God was used to anchor it. All power, all reality, manifest from this place. Here is the beginning. Here will be the end. You stand in the presence of the Lord of this land. That which conquered this land and rules without peer. FALL TO YOUR KNEES! ABASE YOURSELF TO YOUR BETTER! And you will be allowed to die a swift death! BOW BEFORE THE FOUL AND FEROCIOUS PEPPER CORN OF FELD'DCHE!!!"

At this, the Demon Lord pointed with his sword to the center of the floor. There sat a small round pepper corn. My comrades and I stood aghast. We stared at each other in disbelief. As one, we said, "WHAT!? It's a freakin' PEPPER CORN!!!"

The Demon Lords attacked - screaming, "BLASPHEMY!!"

Anger, beyond measure, consumed me. I spoke a word of power never heard by mortals. Found in one of my many searches to gain the mantle of the Blood God. A word forbidden, even to the divine. It rocked the entire island and the shock from it still vibrates through reality. The four center Demon Lords and their mounts were gone. Erased from reality as if they never existed. My comrades and I faced the remaining Demon Lords. The battle was swift and deadly. In the end. I alone stood. Beaten. Tired beyond measure. On my knees, I realized. It was for naught. The sword was the anchor of all reality. To take it would send all that there is back into Chaos. Eventually, I may figure out a way to replace it safely. But, for now, I must leave it.

My anger burned within me. I turned to the small round pepper corn that sat in the center of the floor and saw only an outlet for that anger.

I raised my sword and brought it down with all my might. To my horror, it skittered out from under my blade! "YOU BASTARD!" I screamed, and once again swung at it. It skittered away! I leaped upon it! Attempting to crush it. I beat upon it with my bare hands, 'till they were bloody and broken. The pepper corn remained whole and unhurt. No matter what I used to try to smash it, it skittered out from under it. Nothing but dents in my skin when I used my body. Magic had no effect.

I fought the blasted thing for hours. Finally, exhausted and tired, I stood before the foul thing. A grim smile came over my lips as I raised my foot. I would crush it beneath my heel. As I brought my foot down, it rolled beneath my foot. I found myself falling backwards. Hitting my head, I became unconscious, I do not know for how long. When I came to, I stood. Death was all around me.

And there, back in the center of the floor, sat the pepper corn. A chill ran up my spine as I turned to leave that place.

I was once again attacked while crossing the field of tears. My magic barely saving me. The animals beyond the barrier were there. Waiting. They took care of me and nursed me back to health. It was with a heavy heart, that I left that land. So much beauty - and horror.

Someday, if I figure out how to safely secure the sword, I will return.

I will never reveal the lands location.

But, if you ever come upon a land beyond a great desert. In the midst of a lake who's waters are purer then any others. Where the lion lays down with the lamb. A land that can only be described as Paradise. My advise is to linger not. Return to your home.

And, if you heed my advice, be grateful that you did not face the wrath of the Foul and Ferocious Pepper Corn of Feld'DChe.

------------------

Snypiuer

Bard of Terra

Demi-God of Suicide Squirrel Squadrons