The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

just another applicant

Sadomasochism

But what can you do but choke down the pills and pretend that they're working, and hope that one day it all ends?

There’s nowhere but up when you reach the bottom, so why is everyone digging these holes?

The tattoos, the piercing, I’m sure some have a meaning, our self-mutilation called art.

So sadistic, beautifully masochistic, I love what you do to myself.

Bleeding rain, a life of pain, our freedom was won, and for what?

Keep digging those holes, hoping that nobody knows that you’re not as down as you seem.

This poem is... a bit odd, I think. It reads like a monologue. The flow works out better than I expected, honestly, when I looked at the jagged line lengths. I like it, really.

I recommend her, as well. She's a good friend of mine, and as Falcon said, will benefit The Pen as well as benefiting from it. :)

To be honest I started reading with low expectations (nothing against you, it just looked funky). However, you surprised me, and I must say I enjoyed reading it. However, I'm not going to recommend you, as I think it would only hurt your chances. ;p Go you!

Purple_shadows anxiously paces back and forth in the Recruiter's Office, sighing to herself and casting worried glances towards those who have gathered in the office in support of her application. Turning towards Falcon2001 and lightly biting her lip, the nervous applicant quietly mutters:

"Falcon, is it true what they say about this Elder of Initiates person? Does he really occasionally take short lunch breaks?"

Falcon considers the question for a moment, then regretfully shakes his head.

"No... I'm afraid Elder Wyvern tends to only take long lunch breaks."

"Enormous lunch breaks." interjects Loki Wyrd while nodding to Falcon's response.

"Colossal lunch breaks." grumbles Alaeha in contemplation. "Though I suppose it all depends on one's definition of 'lunch break' in the end. Can lunch be used as a slang synonym for 'tax'?"

"Don't worry." giggles Arwen while winking towards the applicant. "We'll be willing to sit with you here in the office for the first few months of waiting."

Purple_shadows' eyes widen at this statement and she practically faints at the thought of the extensive wait, only to suddenly becomes revived as Wyvern barges into the office through the main entrance at that very moment. Turning and bowing towards the applicant while waving to the others that have gathered in the messy room, the overgrown lizard quickly murmers some incomprehensible apology for his lateness before immediatly getting to purple_shadows' application poem and reading it over.

After having finished with the poem, Wyvern flashes purple_shadows a grin full of razor sharp teeth and hisses:

"A very good application poem, purple_shadows, and certainly acceptable material. But before I stamp it accepted, there's a little contract I'll also need for you to sign."

Having said this, Wyvern stifles a gale of evil laughter and pulls out an extremely long parchment with a small space for a signature at the end. The faces of the members in the office go blank as purple_shadows raises a brow curiously and reads the first line of the contract.

"I, purple_shadows, do hereby agree to cooperate with Wyvern, Patron Saint of Parties, to help with colorful lighting at numerous social events, as listed in the following 12,200,657 clauses...?"

Wyvern snickers and is about to respond when Arashi swiftly hits him over the head with an Anti-Wyvern Mallet™, having swiftly learned the useful technique from Melba and Falcon. The reptilian Elder quickly stamps purple_shadows application ACCEPTED before grumbling curses under his breath and collapsing into an unconscious heap of scales on the ground.

;-)

OOC: On a more serious note: a very good poem, purple_shadows, the imagery was evocative and the structure was original. Your application is ACCEPTED, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I look forward to reading more of your works and also hope to participate with you in some writing projects, even if they have nothing to do with the lightings for parties. ;-) Once again, welcome!

purple_shadows looks over the small office and nods approvingly to herself, "You kow what? I think I could really get used to this place. And now that I no longer need an elaborate scheem to get out of lighting," She gestures at the giant lizard sprawled on the floor,"it seems I have some time on my hands...So, who wants to give me a tour?"

OOC: and I look forward to working with you as well. Who knows, I may just volunteer for a few lighting projects...

YAY!!!

*happydances*

Ayshela whirls into the Recruiters office with apologies of her own for her lateness, and whirls Purple Shadows out the door talking nineteen to the dozen as she shows her around.

Glad to meet a fellow shadow person! Welcome, welcome, and it's about time you got around to applying! =)

*hugs*

Let's see... I told you about it, and she told me. Falcon told her. So ultimately, Falcon is to blame for having everyone turned into snakes at the Fall Ball. :D

Congratulations!

*Colossal Hugs* (And Hugs are not in any way related to tax breaks ;))