And I can't help but wonder

Why it is I stay;

I must leave this place,

I have to walk away.

It is not to happen,

I can't move at all;

For now I'm but a picture

Hanging on the wall.

I know, this is my usual rhyme scheme. But I like it, so I don't care. I'm no poet, just a simple guy that like to write some lines of verse in his free time. I just hope others can enjoy reading it, as I enjoy writing it (most times).

Edited by Loki Wyrd

I really like this second poem you posted, the rhyme scheme especially (however, I do agree that there's nothing wrong with finding a rhyme scheme you like and sticking with it ^_^ ).

I just think this rhyme structure is what makes it sound like a song to me; my mind tries to sing it as I read, which I enjoy.

My greatest inspiration is the "Crooked wheels of rhyme" (Dylan...not Dylan Thomas, Bob Dylan) that is music. So oftentimes my rhyme scheme is rather simplistic, and typical even. But I find it reads well that way (for me at least), almost as if it was intended to be sung. ;)

Tell me what you think of this next one:

Insanity has taken me,

Taken me away from it all.

Where once I was a stranger,

Where once I was so small;

Now I live my life,

I live it as I would

Were I truly free,

As only here I could,

For only here I could be.

To me it doesn't sound as song-like as the A B B A rhyme scheme, sorry. :unsure: Here the syllables fall into more of a set pattern that makes it more like poetry to my mental ears. In my mind songs have a looser quality.

I liked the topic very much though. My only suggestion would to to turn "could" into "can" in the the last line. The two 'could's right on top of each other make it less clear what you mean and I think the tense change would support the present tense of the poem.