The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Pixie's Dream Land

The wind rushed past her ears, and tugged at her clothes. Spring filled the air, with the smell of newly awakened flowers. She always felt free as she dodged the leaves and branches coating them in shimmering magic dust on her flight through the forest to the meadow.

The Pixie reached her destination in record time. Not slowing her speed even a little she reached the middle of the meadow and started spiraling into the sky. When she decided that she was high enough she stopped in mid-flight falling toward the ground not stopping until inches from the ground. The rush from the fall made her head spin. Flopping down on the warm ground to catch her breath, all the while basking in the mid-day sun, a smile enveloped her face. When she was here she was at her best, away from all worries. She knew it wouldn’t last long though, it never did.

After lying, not moving, enjoying the tranquility, finally the calls came. Pensively she gathered herself up off the ground. She made her way sluggishly back through the forest, knowing she must return home, back to work and chores and life.

Written By Lady Shade for submission to The Pen is Mightier that the Sword

Thank you all for being so kind. This is the first time I have ever posted any stories or such for people to read. Needless to say I was a bit intimidated by some of the writings that I have read in here and a little bit hesitant when it came to posting my own. Again thank you!!

Lady Shade

So brief

the swift playfulness

that comes with

moving freely in the wind.

So quick

the broad and spreading

smiles of those

who linger in the sun.

So short

the careless tumbling

of giddy motion

into rest

beneath the sky.

And because so brief,

so vivid,

so peaceful

and so bright.

Welcome to the Pen, Lady Shade

An enjoyable read. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Edited by Cyril Darkcloud

Lady Shade sighs and taps a foot on the ground as she patiently waits for the Elder of Initiates arrival, occasionally glancing towards the grandfather clock located in the far corner of the room to check the time. The eager applicant had been waiting for the infamous Elder for a few days now, and was beginning to long the freedom of the outdoors after sitting for ages in the confines of the office. Grumbling and lifting herself from her seat, the anxious applicant wanders over towards the window in the hopes of opening it and letting in a cool breeze, only to jump back in surprise as the window is opened for her from the outdoors by none other than Wyvern. The overgrown lizard quietly crawls into the office and places a scaly finger to his lips to imply silence, then waits a long moment before snatching up Lady Shade's application and hissing:

"Greetings, Msss. Shade... apologies for my slight lateness, I was chased down by a gang of orcs after selling them a batch of fake elven-ear trophies and had to go into hiding for a bit. Hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long, I'll get to looking over your application immediatly!"

Having said this, the greedy lizard proceeds to carefuly look over Lady Shade's application piece several times. A sinister grin slowly makes its way across his face as he does so, and after having finished with the application, he turns once again towards the eager applicant and mutters:

"A very nice application piece, Lady Shade, and certainly acceptable material... before I give it the thumbs up, however, I'm curious as to whether you know any pixies personally? The depiction is very realistic..."

"I-" starts Lady Shade.

"If you do know any pixies..." interrupts Wyvern sinisterly "then perhaps you could help me advertise these Almost Dragonic Brand Pixie Snowboards™ to the pixie masses!"

With that, Wyvern takes out a bag containing a number of plastic pointy ears and points a finger at them as Lady Shade raises a brow in disbelief.

"These would make great pixie snowboards, and the larger ones could even be used as pixie trampolines!"

"Ummm... Mr. Wyvern..." mutters Lady Shade hesitantly "I don't know any pixies personally, and if I did I'm uncertain if I'd try to pass off plastic pointy ears as miniature snowboards."

Wyvern grumbles and nods to this, stamping Lady Shade's application "ACCEPTED" just as the front door of the office bursts open to reveal two aggravated looking orcs bearing plastic Star Trek Klingon ears and growling at Wyvern menacingly. Cursing to himself and bowing to the newly accepted applicant, the overgrown lizard proceeds to rush towards the open office window and leaps out of it just as the orcs barge into the chamber...

;-)

OOC: A good application piece, Lady Shade... certainly ACCEPTED! Thank you for applying, and welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I look forward to reading more of your writing and participating in creative projects with you in the future... once again, welcome!