The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Opportunity for Story-lovers

Yui-chan

Hello,

There's a new E-zine coming out soon that I think is an especially nice idea. Given the many literary fans around here, I wanted to point it out.

Keep It Coming is a serial-fiction E-zine, published bi-weekly (that's the twice-a-week definition of the word). Every Tuesday and Friday, you'll get an email containing a new chapter of each story you're subscribing to. That's about four to six pages per week, average, and the 'zine offers a wide range of genres.

I won't claim impartiality in this, since I'm one of the authors contributing to the 'zine, but I wouldn't be involved if I didn't think it was a neat idea. :) Check it out! Maybe you can submit something and become an alternate author yourself.

Thanks,

~Yui

Hm... is there any chance they'll plan to lower their prices at all? Granted, it means new things to read every week, but economically, they're a lot more pricy then buying a book.

To match the novel beside me (hardbound, 348 pages for $25.95), it would take 14.5 to 21.75 months. At $3.33 a month, that equals out to $48.28 to $72.42 per story. Granted, it is probably unlikely that a story will reach 348 pages, but the point remains that the subscriptions are two to three times as expensive as buying a hardbound book, and even worse if you get a paperback. And, of course, if too many of the stories are too good to pass up, I'd blow my entire budget allowance for books on the subscriptions. :)

I do wish the site and you a lot of luck, however! I hope they'll decide to publish books of their best stories later, and I'm sure you'd be among the authors.

After reading your teaser to bring readers in, I'm tempted to subscribe despite all my reasoning above. I truly hope they decide to publish books, for I will buy the first one your story is located within. :)

How much of the subscription are you getting, anyway? :)

Warning, math ahead!

4-6 pages a week x 4 weeks a month (not quite right, but close enough) = 16-24 pages a month.

348 / 24 = 14.5

348 / 16 = 21.75

14.5 months * $3.33 = $48.28

21.75 months * $3.33 = $72.42

$48.28 / $25.95 = 1.8 times as expensive

$72.42 / $25.95 = 2.7 times as expensive

You know, Gyr, the editor (and owner) of the E-zine is really very open-minded and reasonable. I'll point out your logic to her and ask about the prices she's set. Her income for the project is twofold, from both subscriptions and advertising charges, but I'm really not sure what her expenses were that are driving this price.

Her original plan was to sell the stories in a 'magazine' with issues containing the three stories of your choice in that case, she was going to charge $10 per month for three, which is why she chose the silly $3.33 per story. ;)

Anyway, I'll mention your thoughts to her. Being a writer, I never really payed attention... >_<

Thanks,

~Yui

Edit: To answer your question, authors get a very healthy 70% of the subscription costs. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Btw, I write here too, though I'm silly and turned in my story a day after the final deadline, so it's on the alternate page, not the same page as Yui and now if you want to read at least the first bit of the stories for free you can, which is cool.