The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Sanctuary

Salinye

This was written for another world, but I thought I'd share the character intro here with you all anyway in case you like it. :0)

“BURN HER!”

“She’s a WITCH!”

“Send her demonic soul back to the PITS OF HELL!”

These were the shouts that followed the priestess as she ran through the vacant streets of Sadyshon. The fire from the many torches of the pursuant mob behind her offered the only light to guide her frantic steps. Her white housedress clung to her as mud flew up from her bare feet as she fled for the large stone church that was positioned in the center of the town.

“FREE THESE STREETS FROM HER SCRYING EYE!”

Senora glanced over her shoulder finding the gap between the mob and her growing smaller by the moment. Turning a corner the tall steeple of the ornate church loomed before her adding speed to her flight. As she neared the church she frantically scrambled up the steps throwing her against the large wooden doors.

“SANCTUARY!” She screamed banging on the doors. “SANCTUARY!” The mob closed in behind her and she turned around pressing her back to the door. Her wild red hair almost seemed to glow in the torchlight as she stared at the mob wide eyed.

One particular man started up to the steps towards her seething, “The only sanctuary you’ll find is one of Hell fire!”

“What is this?” The high priest Macarey asked while opening the door causing Senora to fall back against him before gathering her footing to stand again. The crowd fell into a silent hush as he opened the door further stepping out onto the stone platform next to the girl.

“I….I..come for Sanctuary, My Lord.” Senora stammered before the crowd erupted in refutes.

“She’s a WITCH!”

“She should be BURNED!”

The high priest Macarey raised his hands to quiet the roar. “What has the child done to make you think she is a witch?” He asked.

A local farmer man stepped forward removing his hat from his head respectfully before the priest. “M’lord, she knew it ‘twas Bennerton who stole them horses from my place. She read his mind!”

The priest looked at Senora. “Is this true, child?”

Senora straightened her spine confidently. “I knew it was Bennerton because he was the only one full of guilt and terror when Sheriff Donley came to question the farm hands.” She replied matter of factly.

“She LIES!” Shouted a woman as she came forward. “She bewitched me with a love spell!”

Senora couldn’t believe the audacity of the woman. “Claire! You know that’s a lie! You’ve been in love with Timothy Allen since last years summer festival. I can’t help it if you had to call off your wedding to Sam! You were going to marry a man you didn’t love for the wrong reasons and would never have been happy if I hadn’t helped you decide to follow your heart!”

“She LIES!” The woman spat back again. “Because of her love spell I have been ostracized from my family!”

“ENOUGH!” Priest Macarey hollered. “Miss Senora. Do you actively participate in Witch Craft?”

“Nay, My Lord.” She replied.

“How is it that you seem to know the things the people of the town have suggested.” He asked again.

“It’s a gift, M’lord. I can nay read minds like they claim, but sometimes, I can….feel how people are feeling.” She finished certain that a holy man would understand her gift.

The High Priest stood silent for some moments weighing his decision. “Well, I cannot judge her, nor can I offer her sanctuary.”

“By the laws it must be decided by FIRE!” Screamed a man in the crowd.

“Yes, let the gods decide!”

Senora could not believe what she was hearing. In a mad effort she turned to jump off the steps to run again but was caught about the waist by the Priest. She kicked trying to get away, but it was only a moment before the crowd was upon them cheering and ripping her from his grasp.

“Go in peace, my child. The gods will decide your fate.” He said as she was torn from the church steps by two men and drug to a stake that had been constructed with a mound of wood and hay surrounding its base. The two men hoisted her up and held her firmly in place while two other men bound her to the stake at the feet, hands and waist.

A soft chant had started among the crowd “Burn the witch! Burn the Witch!”

A roar of cheers rose up as a man that Senora recognized as a local merchant came forward and placed his torch to the wood and hay mound causing it to abrupt into flames. Senora watched in horror as the smoke began to billow up around her. She could feel the heat from the flames upon her body, although the flames had not yet reached her flesh.

She held her breath trying to breathe in the rancid smoke, but realized this only made her suck it in deeper when finally she was forced to breathe. The smoke burned as it filled her lungs causing her to cough. The crackle and dull roar of the fire soon began to drown out the sounds of the cheering and jeering crowd. She watched the black billows swirl up past her as drops of salty sweat dripped down her forehead into her stinging eyes. She blinked to try to clear her vision but instead only succeeded in warping it further. She knew by the way her head was swimming that she was probably about to lose consciousness. Oh well, better to burn in my sleep, then while awake. She thought to herself.

However, instead she was hit with a wave of emotion so strong that it pulled her mind away from its attempted slumber. Suddenly she was filled with a multitude of dark emotion. Hate, blood lust, envy, fear. She blinked her eyes trying to see the crowd through the haze of smoke and heat. Such hate, such darkness. The feelings she was now full of were so horrid, she almost wished for the fire to bite her flesh in order to escape it. All that she could manage to mumble was, “Sanctuary” before her head dropped forward sending her into blissful darkness.

Edited by Salinye

Senora wondered at the pink world that seemed to wonder. Pink, it’s all she saw. I’ve often thought of heaven, but never once thought it would be pink. She thought to herself before she realized that her eyes were not yet open. She slowly began to open her eyes but promptly shut them again turning her head away from the blinding light. I was wrong, heaven’s not pink, it’s bright.

The elven girl, hardly 100 years old, took her time adjusting to the light before fully opening her eyes. She could see the blue sky above her with a few billowy white clouds lazily drifting by. She could feel the soft yet prickly feeling of fresh grass beneath her hands and slowly sat up to find herself sitting in a field. “Okay, so heaven is a field?” She asked out loud this time.

“Heaven is many things, my child, but that is not where you are.”

Senora whipped her head around to find herself looking at the most beautiful woman she had ever seen. The woman was adorned in all white clothing and her long blonde hair, drug on the ground behind her. She appeared to be elven and her very countenance seemed to rival the noonday for glory. Senora didn’t know who the woman was, but before she could ask the too familiar psionic winds blew threw her mind and she was filled with emotion the strength of she had never before felt.

She was filled with unspeakable love and joy. She felt deep sincere appreciation for every living thing she viewed. She had a peace and calm about her that she would for the rest of her life yearn to feel again. The woman waited patiently for the wave of emotion that had overwhelmed Senora to pass before she began speaking.

“I am Kaelin’Dar. I am the Goddess of Love and Light. I have granted your call for Sanctuary.” As the Goddess mentioned the word Sanctuary the memories of the night came flooding over Senora with such force that she turned to her side and heaved into the grass.

“I’m sorry.” Senora whispered wiping her mouth with her sleeve.”

“Please don’t apologize. You’ve been through quite an ordeal. Several actually. You have not led an easy life. First and foremost, being raised by humans is no easy feat. However, at the time it’s the only thing your parents could think of to protect you.”

Senora looked over her shoulder. “You know who my parents are?”

Kaelin’Dar smiled lovingly. “Of course, but that is not a subject we’ll discuss today.” Her words were spoken with the utmost kindness, but also with a finality that made the elven girl keep quiet despite her life long desires to know of her parents. “Secondly, you have been given a gift that often feels like a curse. Not only does it cause you to be misunderstood, but it also forces you to feel the emotions of not only the most beautiful and pure, but also the most evil and cruel. Then, not only do you feel their emotions, but you understand them, empathize with them.”

Senora nodded wanting to cry. No one had ever understood. “Yes.” She whispered still feeling quite overwhelmed.

“Thirdly,” the Goddess continued. “You have tried to use your gift to help and serve your fellow man with good intentions. You have proven the true desires of your heart. This is why I have granted you Sanctuary, Senora.”

Senora couldn’t help but ask. “D..Did I burn?” She looked down at her clothing and body, which appeared to be unmarked.

Kaelin’Dar laughed a laugh that rang threw the meadow with the ring of a sweet song. “No, my child. I think the citizens of Sadeyshon will forever tell the tale of “the witch who disappeared from a burning stake in a beam of light.”

Senora raised a curious eyebrow. “Well, serves them right.” She muttered.

“Indeed it does.” The Goddess replied.

“Well, if I’m not in heaven, then where am I?” Senora asked looking around and noticing a small log cabin a short distance away.

“You are in the world of Two Skies. You will be safe here, but more importantly, I need you here as my priestess.”

Senora blinked. “Me? A priestess?”

“Yes. I have brought you here because this world needs my influence.”

“But…I don’t know anything about being a priestess!”

“That doesn’t matter. I have already gifted you with some of my own likenesses, some of which will be mixed blessings. However, I have faith you will handle the challenges well. As long as you are faithful to my will, you will be blessed with the gifts you need. There is plenty of time for me to teach you. For now, take this.” She extended forth a chain with her holy symbol attached to it. Senora took the necklace and inspected the talisman. The entire chain was silver. It was of the finest weave appearing as though it would break with even a gentle tug yet it was fastened as if by steel. The center was a large iridescent opal surrounded by Ivy intertwined with the spun silver strands. “Put it on and wear it always. It will help and protect you.”

Senora obeyed by hanging it around her neck. “Now,” Kaelin’Dar continued. “Walk to that cabin and take the pack and supplies that are waiting for you. Then follow the map to a place called The Scribe Complex. Seek out a woman by the name of Yui-Temae. She knows not of me, but I know her heart. She will offer you a place to stay.” She then approached the elven girl and embraced her in a warm loving hug. “I will be with you, Senora.” After releasing the embrace she turned and walked out into the field slowly fading in with the sunshine.

Senora, once again alone, walked towards the cabin trying to let the things that had transpired settle upon her mind. The cabin had no door and very few furnishings. There was a plain, simple table, bed, standing mirror and standing armoire. The door to the Armoire was open. Senora walked to it opening the other door to fully view the contents. Inside were several gowns and cloaks. A pack hung from a hook on one side full of various items she would explore in more depth later. Sitting upon a shelf within the Armoire was a rolled up map that would guide her to the complex Kaelin’Dar had spoken of.

She quickly gathered her things together ready to make the journey she was commanded to make. After glancing around the cabin one last time to make sure she was taking all she was supposed to she began walking to the door. She stopped at the full length mirror to casually check her appearance, the reflection staring back at her causing her to drop her pack and stare in awe. The woman in the mirror was indeed she. Same emerald green eyes, same wild red hair, only she was…beautiful.

Senora was an elf, and the elves did have a certain beauty and elegance about her. Only now, her countenance almost seemed to radiate. She would be nothing if she were standing beside Kaelin’Dar. However, among the mortal races she would definitely stand out. She couldn’t help but touch her face trying to see if perhaps her eyes were playing tricks on her. However, she found the image to be very real. Uncomfortable with her new elegant beauty she pulled the hood of her cloak up to hide her features and hurriedly left the cabin.

It was only half a days walk to the Scribe complex the priestess was told about. She reached its outer wall by dusk. She soon found herself standing outside of the door to a tavern. The sign that hung above the door read: “The Eternal Tavern.” She could hear liveliness from inside, however, she was afraid to enter. She wasn’t sure what to expect in this new world. She took a deep breath, grasped her holy symbol within one hand beneath her cloak and slowly opened the door to let herself inside.

**New post from a continued story that showcases one of her empathy episodes.**

Warm…embracing…rejuvenating…

These are words Senora would use to describe the feeling of the sun shining through the leaves of the treetops down onto her face. Breathing in the forest scents, she was reminded why she was always able to do some of her best meditating when among nature. With her eyes closed she slowly became attuned to everything around her. The cushioned and slightly damp feeling of the moss covered ground that she sat upon. The sounds of a near by brook trickling carelessly over the rocky terrain that marked its course. Birds, not only singing, but also taking flight from one branch to another. A gentle breeze wafting through the small clearing, caressing her already sun-warmed face and softly swaying her long red locks. The priestess felt a peace settle within her as she relaxed in preparation of entering into a deeper meditative state.

Hatred…bloodlust…murderous intent…

These are the emotions that violently ripped through Senora’s peaceful state of being. They were invasive and hostile without the usual warning or build up. Kill! Kill! Kill! The feeling of wanting to rip someone limb from limb-a justified desire. A hate so dark it was almost pure and yet legitimate. Evil…hatred…demonic… The feelings left the elf as abruptly as they had come upon her. The drastic nature of the psychic invasion was so unusual and unexpected that before she could regain control over her own mind she slumped back, the moss giving her head a natural pillow, and sunk into the blissful nothingness of unconsciousness.

…Sometime later…

Bolting upright the first thing Senora became aware of was the echo of a scream fading through the forest. Had she cried out? She wasn’t sure all she knew was that the scream could only be bad news. If the cry was from someone else, then whatever it was that she had felt could be nearer to her than she liked. How long was I unconscious? If the scream had been from her then she risked drawing the attention of whatever evil being she had felt. There is more shade here than before. The sun no longer falls upon my face. Scrambling to her feet Senora drew the hood of her cloak up around her face and gathered her pack onto her back. She had no idea which direction was safe and which presented danger. She did however realize that she didn’t have more than an hour before the last bit of daylight would leave the forest for the night and if she had to face danger, she’d rather do it in the light.

Making a quick decision she headed to the east where she knew the edge of the forest met with a common traveling trail. She hadn’t yet allowed herself to examine the nature of the psychic waves that had caused her to black out, as she needed to keep her wits about her. However, she knew that the unusual experience left her filled with uncertainty. There would be time for introspect later, now she only wished to avoid the being that held such vile emotions within it. She couldn’t help but pity it.

Edited by Salinye

• 4 years later...