The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Fairy

I sat in a meadow watching the wind blow the grass in waves of green and gold, when a sparkle caught my eye . I followed the glittering and found a fairy caught in a spider's web.

With delicate movements I released her then she sat on my hand for a time to rest. With a nod and a smile she flew away. She whispered "Thank you" and was gone.

:fairy:

A tiny sneeze and leaf blown into my path . I couch down slowly and look around where i hought i heard the small sound come from in the dust on the edge of the forest trail I find a fairy sitting on her duff brushing pollen off her nose. "Oh pardon me little lass. Do you need a helping hand ?"

She stands and flutters the dust form her wings ,tips the flower she wears for a hat and flies off with "Thank you but no "

The world to day is wet . Rain pours down with a constant rythm. Trudging along a muddy path that stretches for here to there and back again a slip a fall and then you are looking at the world from a whole different perspective.

Green everything is so green. Shades of it from chartruse to emerald shine in the muted light. A drop of water splashed off the tip of your nose. Look up and see a silvery green fairy sitting on a leaf just above your face pushing another water droplet of the tip. She giggles when it hits your cheek then she realizes you are awake and shakes the water from her gossamer wings and flutters out of sight.

Several days of waiting and finally they have come! I'm cold and wet and all cramped up, but I don't dare move. One by one frairies begin to gather in the center of a small circle of forest mushrooms. I remember my my mother telling me they were called fairy rings and to never disturb them. I just had to see if it was true. Two arrive, then ten and the ring is overflowing with colourful fairy folk. I don't dare breathe. A pair steps into the very center of the ring and all the others step back respectfullly. They exchange curtsies and bows, slowly turning so they are seen by all. Music seemingly comes form nowhere and they begin to dance. Wirling left then right andin an intricate pattern of steps they dance. When the music stops the fairy couple is floating several inches off the ground and the circle of watchers applaud. Sunshine filters though the canopy of leaves above shining directly on the circle and suddenly there is colour everywere.

A rainbow is born!

Awww a lovely way to explain rainbows!! Much better than my brother's version which consisted of "it rains, stuff gets wet, it reflects". I was 4 at the time I think, he wasn't really a great explainer and it wasn't really the magical answer I had been looking and hoping for. Where were you when I was 4??? hehe

Dawn breaks slowly on this side of the mountain. You can see a definate line of sunshine as it makes it's way higher in the sky and spreads out further on the ground below. on that edge of light and dark the Fairies dance, In and out of the light so quickly that the human eye only sees a rising mist.

I have watched the sun rise here for many years and rejoice every morning with the birds and fairy folk . I hope for many more years to do the same

Curled in a corner under a rock she sits and watches the dance but she doesn't participate. She feels left out, alone and unwanted for she is the rarest of fae folk a black fairy. She does not know how pretty and precious she is to the group so she hides from them . All day she hides. as evening comes she begins to feel strange and ....Happy. The moon rises, full and beautifull. She steps out from her hiding place and is bathed in the light of the moon . She shines now,she knows her purpose and begins to dance the night creatures out into the world .

Lava bubbles around glowing hot rocks. The smell of brimstone and sulfer is over welming but I came to see a wonderous sight.

Floating lazily on a bubble of hot air a tiny fairy ,flame red hair and wings She is arched back over it, hands dangling in the miasma, humming softly to herself. Only for a moment do I see her then the bubble floats out of my sight. I hear a soft pop, then a whisper in my ear "It is time to go"

So I leave happily having seen what others will not.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen so much in quiet places where and life time does not run at the same pace.

The time has come for me to return to the place I belong. I must leave behind the dreaming world, slowly walking backwards. I do not want to miss a single detail. Colour surrounds me then slowly blends into one source of light . A brilliant white light hovers befor my eyes. *blink and blink again * My eyes adjust to the light slowly revealing the tiniest fairy i have every seen ... a child? I'm not sure. She is perfect in every detail. A tiny cherub smiling at me, brushing her wings gently against my cheek. She follows me to the edge of reality then blows a kiss my way.

The light is gone. I feel sad for the loss of wonder. The real world awaits for me to join it . Grey sky and rain look now at me through the grimy window as my tears ovefloww and streak down my cheeks.

My goodness, beloved! How have I missed these absolute treasures???

They are all magical moments!

Collect them, submit them, publish them! - You must! Please.... :poke:

Children the world over would be spell-bound (and a good many adults too, I'd wager!)

A good illustrator to do justice to these words and you would have a best-seller that would grace many a children's bookshelf. I can picture it it my mind so clearly!

I would be the first to buy one.

:flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower::flower:

Bit the bullet and took my snippets from here and an idea to an illustrator . he thinks it is a good idea but hasn't read the bits yet . So keep your fingers crossed and maybe i will have get something published. Thanks to the encouragement from all of you here.

I'll keep you all posted.

• 4 weeks later...

A frantic flutter of wings streak across the sky like a frighted flock of dragon flies all heading in the same direction. I couldn't help but follow as thousands of them wizzed past me . Over the farmer's field and down to the bank of a small creek running as fast as possible and I can barely see where they are all headed. A little further along the bank of the creek I see the swarm of fairy folk hover over a pool of very clear water .it takes me a few minutes to clear my head and see what is happening . each fairy takes hold of a silken thread . I follow the thread from tiny hands to the source. A baby otter cought in a fisherman's trap the fairies struggle to keep it's head above he water.In a soft voice I say "I can help" and I slowly move forward slippping my hand under the exhausted mite and un hook the wire that had gotten wrapped around it's leg . I set him down gently on the back and set backout of the way as the fairies take over. each one flying over it and sprinkling a little dust on the otter's head with a tiny chant "From me take this gift for strength"

A life is saved

• 3 months later...