The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

ultimatum

Sure, it was dirty, low and criminal, but it was easy and it beat working. The three had found the perfect ambush point. Not at all crowded, but people wandered through all the time. A dark alleyway that saved at least a mile of walking. And it was close to a business district, meaning the average wealth of those using this thoroughfare was higher than these three were used to. Mugging. They were making several thousand between them each time they worked the alleyway. And they didn't even have to worry about police. The alleyway was located conveniently in the no-man's-land between the two largest criminal families' territories where the law feared to tread. Oh, it was a beautiful find. One they would work smartly, too. Striking on random days, sometimes leaving week-long gaps so as to not drive people away completely. Their hiding spots were perfect, too. They could see everyone entering the alleyway and no one could see them. It was the sweetest deal.

This night was perfect. A half moon low in the sky, giving enough light to make the alleyway look inviting, but not blow their positions. The three waited, hands gripping their knives. None of them had ever needed to use them. People were so docile that even the sight of steel was enough to make them drop their valuables and run. No risk profit. They loved it.

They sat in wait, letting the first two punters through unharmed. This was the way things were done. Always strike the third. They didn't have to wait long. The third was on his way. The "leader" of the three, the one who delivered the ultimatum to the targets, sized up their customer. At first glance, he stopped. This one wasn't your average businessman. First off, he was wearing a T-shirt and shorts. In the middle of winter. Secondly, he strode with an air of confidence about him that the leader had never seen before. Thirdly, he was built. Not tall, not wide, just solid. A regular guy who toned his muscles to perfection rather than excess. Still, he was traveling alone and he was the third, so he was as good a target as any. And the leader had been itching to cut someone, of late. He didn't know why.

When the target reached the alcoves that served as the bandits' hiding places, they stepped out, weapons drawn. The leader stepped forth and issued the time-honoured ultimatum that dated back to ye olde english days.

"It's a simple prospect, my friend. Your valuables or your life. Entirely up to you, we'll get them either way."

The target stopped, looked from the leader to his two sidekicks, then back. Then he shook his head.

The leader watched the stranger extend his arms and flick his wrists in the direction of his two comrades. He then felt two gusts of wind on either side of him. Then he heard a sickening crunch. He turned to see the remains of his partners in crime smeared against their hiding places. They were barely recognisable. Nothing more than fleshpiles in clothes. As if their skeletons had been crushed into powder. He turned back to the target. The man was grinning stupidly.

"Now, I offer you the same ultimatum." he said to the leader

Without thinking, the leader dropped his knife, his phone, his watch, wallet, pendant and nosering. The stranger walked over to the pile of goods and crushed them into fine powder with the toe of his boot.

"Now run."

The leader didn't need further encouragement. He broke previous landspeed records to escape that alleyway and never returned.

West stood in the empty alleyway rubbing his wrist. He'd flicked it too hard. He had to watch that. But it'd had the desired result and he didn't have to get his hands dirty at all. He gave crimefighting a brief thought, then decided against it. Wouldn't want to upset the balance of power in my domain too much, he thought to himself. Besides, he had more important things to worry about like-

"Wonderful location you've picked for us, Mr West."

West aboutfaced to see North grinning at him, pounding his fist into his palm. West returned the grin, then charged.

I am deeply confused. What exactly happened when West squished people's bones? Who is North?

I can understand wanting to keep it mysterious, and that's fine, but it could use a bit more detail. Instead of being on the edge of my seat, wondering, I'm just kind of lost. I really liked the beginning though, before the bone-crushing ^^

It works pretty well to delay the link,becuase thhose of us who Have read the other story don't have to look at the link if we choose not to, and you still get the effect you wanted, but those who may nothave seeen the other one can still getit this way.

Nice story. The expected ending didn't makeit less fun to read.